Topic ClosedUnceremonious Prog Dismissals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 04:00
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

The day Jon Theodore left Volta was the 2nd worst day for that band.

The day Ikey left was the worst day for that band.
This.

Though possibly backwards. 

Yeah. I love Ikey, but it's even been said by multiple band members now that the day Theodore was fired spelt the end of the band (even though it took a while to eventuate)- not because the music they produced afterwards or the drummers they had afterwards were bad (though it wasn't as good), but because the original chemistry was broken, and after that things had to revolve around a scramble for personnel (the Amputechture tour had three legs with three different drummers) and clashing personalities.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 06:20
The dismissing of Moraz was indeed sad, but I guess that if you have one Rick Wakeman telling you "hey guys, I'd like to come back" there's not much choice is it? (I admit I do not know if that was the case).

BTW anyone knowing why John Jowitt left IQ? (before The Road Of Bones where Tim Essau came back).
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 06:48
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

The dismissing of Moraz was indeed sad, but I guess that if you have one Rick Wakeman telling you "hey guys, I'd like to come back" there's not much choice is it? (I admit I do not know if that was the case).

Some of the band members said that the musical communication between Moraz and the other band members wasn't good enough, that Moraz couldn't get into the musical flow like the others did.
Later other people stated that it was manager Brian Lane who wanted Rick Wakeman back in, because he was much more of a stage persona than Patrick Moraz.
I don't know what is really true, but certain is that at that time Rick Wakeman certainly didn't want to go back to Yes.
It was only when Jon Anderson organized a listening session to Rick, letting him listen to the rough sketches of what was going to be "Going For The One", that Rick got interested again.
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 09:00
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

There are more drumming moments that I notice when listening to Comma Divine and Warzawa than withe the Harrison albums, actually.

I agree. While I certainly can't question the drumming genius that is Gavin, I find Maitland's drumming on the efforts you mention to be quite compelling, which led to my question...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 12:37
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Syd Barrett when the rest of Pink Floyd decided it was just too much effort to pick him up for a gig.

Rick Wright from Pink Floyd when Roger Waters decided he was no longer contributing enough.

<span style="line-height: normal; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;">Michel Berckmans from Univers Zero when Daniel Denis decided to go in another direction (damn I miss that bassoon)</span>

Adrian Belew from King Crimson when Robert sent him a text telling him he was out.

Ozzy from Black Sabbath?

This plus Peter Banks from Yes

This plus Steve Hackett from Genesis LOL 
I know, it was not such a dismissal anyway, but a ceremonious one Tony Banks might have tried.

The reason why Banks, to this day, is not kindly disposed to Hackett is because Hackett left of his own volition. Banks took it rather badly.

That's the first I've ever heard of Banks being unsupportive of Hackett leaving. The gist of the stories I've heard was that he, Collins, and Rutherford were indifferent to the music Hackett wanted the band to record, hence Banks' lion's share of the writing credits on 'Wuthering. Hackett himself once referred to himself as somewhat of a junior partner since joining the band and never really given his equitable due.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 12:48
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Anyone have any clues as to why Chris Maitland was released from Porcupine Tree?

According to Maitland, he was more assertive with Swilson than the other two PT members and had "a tendency to throw his toys out of pram'" at times.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 12:59
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

BTW anyone knowing why John Jowitt left IQ? (before The Road Of Bones where Tim Essau came back).

My understanding is that Jowitt wanted to persue his other projects like Ark and Arena more. However it seems he's all but given up music, I gather he's sold his basses.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 14:13
Martin Turner being forced out of Wishbone Ash in 1980. Things went downhill fast for the band after that.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 14:22
This is my kind of thread and I haven't got anyone I can mention apart from...

Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Wyatt's ejection from Soft Machine is a case in point.  According to the latest biography, it still hurts him now - he always saw the Softs as 'his' band.

Well I think Soft Machine has a lot more unceremonious Prog dismissals!
I've still never heard it in full from Mike Ratledge's side, but going from being one of the founder members to just seemingly give up and let Karl Jenkins take over. 
And of course the classical quartet augmented Soft Machine that recorded only for Top Gear.
Would have been a laugh to hide in the wardrobe the day they were called into the office to tell them they couldn't afford them!
I really ought to buy "Different Every Time" the book, but I'm sure it's already been stated that Robert doesn't talk a lot about Mike Ratledge.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 14:51
Wallenstein band leader Juergen Dollase sacked all his bandmates after a gig in Hildesheim, Germany in around '77 because, according to Harald Grosskopf's bio on the band (he was their former drummer), Dollase wanted to go in a more mainstream musical fashion. I wish I had more details. Don't know if Dollase was pressured by his record company, or he just had a change of musical heart. And maybe the rest of the band were against such a thing. Couldn't imagine Wallenstein without Dollase, though.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 19:19
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Martin Turner being forced out of Wishbone Ash in 1980. Things went downhill fast for the band after that.
Enter John Wetton, couldn't have been too bad ?? Curious about that album......
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 19:42
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Enter John Wetton, couldn't have been too bad ?? Curious about that album......
yeah, "Number The Brave"-it's a great record.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 02:23
Good point, and one that Martin Turner himself has said he thought was a good move even though he was upset about being pushed out. After all, Wetton had a bass playing style similar to Turner, could write songs (again like Turner) and had a good singing voice.

However, you will notice on Number The Brave that all songs bar one were written and sung by either Andy Powell or Laurie Wisefield, neither of whom at that time had particularly strong voices. Odd because the reason they got rid of MT was because they wanted to bring in a stronger singer in an attempt to have commercial success.

So what went wrong? Wetton himself has said that he joined the band in the expectation that he would be contributing songs and singing lead vocal - he even offered a couple of songs that he later recorded with Asia (Here Comes The Feeling being one). He was told by the other band members that he was just to be the bass player. So after the album was finished he quit and Trevor Bolder joined for the tour and the next album.

The strong lead singer didn't materialise and the band went down a more "metal" route. They were dropped by MCA after Number The Brave. The third album after MT's departure, Raw To The Bone, did actually feature a stronger singer (bassist Mervyn Spence) but it was so far removed from the classic WA sound that it shocked many fans. After that album, Wisefield (and Spence) quit and the band was temporarily rescued when the original lineup was brought back together by original manager Miles Copeland. Until, that is, Martin Turner was sacked again, this time when Andy Powell phoned him on his birthday, not to wish him a happy birthday, but to tell him "his services were no longer required."
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 02:36
^ The question is "Why" ??? Turner was a leading-light in WA. Almost the very reason I love what albums I have of theirs so dearly.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 05:48
Fact! Rick Wakeman was one of the lucky few who did what he blimmin' wanted, he left a few times and when he came back he was immediately welcome LOL
DT showman and fantastic drummer "Mike Portnoy" on the-other-hand was not so lucky which is a shame really Unhappy
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 07:52
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Fact! Rick Wakeman was one of the lucky few who did what he blimmin' wanted, he left a few times and when he came back he was immediately welcome LOL
DT showman and fantastic drummer "Mike Portnoy" on the-other-hand was not so lucky which is a shame really Unhappy

I have very little sympathy for Portnoy, it appears he has brought most of his issues on himself.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 08:55
Martin Barre from Ian Anderson's ... well, everything.

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 09:30
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

Martin Barre from Ian Anderson's ... well, everything.

Yup, that was pretty much a c*nt move.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 21:39

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I have very little sympathy for Portnoy, it appears he has brought most of his issues on himself.

Yes indeed, I agree he brought it to himself. However, from the beginning I kind of agreed with him, DT needed a breat to clear their heads and recharge their creativity... and the last two DT albums show it.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 21:51

Syd Barrett when the rest of Pink Floyd decided it was just too much effort to pick him up for a gig.
I thought the entire band (including Syd) agreed on the arrangement that he would write songs and the rest of the band would gig.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>