Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp finding more artists that I'd like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help finding more artists that I'd like
    Posted: May 15 2015 at 14:23
Hello! Im new here :D
I found this little community while searching for some new music to listen to.

I'll start with the TL:DR, but please do read, even tho it is long;
TL:DR
Please suggest me stuff that sound like Porcupine Tree (the later albums), Anathema, Steven Wilson, The Pineapple thief. Stuff with good vocals, piano, violins, music things, that don't sound old. Thank you!
Read post for biography. Bolded most of my favorite stuff.

I've been having a really hard time finding new artists to listen to. Anything new people suggest seem to be so far off of what I've described, and I just cant find anything in my taste.

So I'll start in the beginning.
I've listened to Porcupine Tree's "The Sound of Muzak", and it sounded really right for me.
I went out and bought their album "In Absentia" and "Deadwing". This really got me starting to find some more prog rock. I liked both albums greatly. In Absentia is awesome, it's very musical. By musical, I mean it has alot of content when it comes to sound. Alot of instruments, with alot of different sounds all the time.

Followed up with buying Lightbulb Sun, and enjoying it slightly less. (Four Cords that Made a Million just doesnt sound right to me. How Is Your Life Today? is just kind of boring, Shesmovedon is catchy but lacks alot of depth. The rest are quite good, I enjoy "Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before it is Recycled" greatly because of the later part of the song. It is very musical, with very flowing and gentle yet present sound).

I then bought Nil Recurring which I enjoy mostly. Recordings, less so. Kind of slightly bores me.
I followed up with buying Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning and Hand. Cannot. Erase. and enjoying it greatly. Then bought Fear of a Blank Planet and enjoying it greatly as well. Again, very good sound, melodic, gentle, yet rough at times.

I asked around where I bought, and they directed me to Anathema.

Holy effing sh*t, I found the right sound. It sounded amazing, listening to We're here because we're here felt amazing. It felt like hope. The vocals in their sound is amazing. She gentle voice of the female singer, and the gentle and rough at times voice of their main vocalist is so pure and deep, I LOVE it. I then bought Weather Systems, which I enjoyed a whole lot. It sounded great. I like the violins, I like how the music progresses, how it has a peak and then settles down. I LOVE the atmosphere. I love it all.
I then bought Distant Satellites, in which most songs are good. I like it less than the previous albums. They don't have the pacing they used to. Not enough of a build up in some of the songs.

Then i followed with A Natural Disaster and A Fine Day to Exit. Cant elaborate too much on those albums but I can tell you I like the singer's voice much less in those albums. It's not as mature, its not as refined and it's not as good. Feels weaker.

I then started listening to some of The Pineapple Thief's discs. I like it. I've got 137 and 3000 Days, both of which I enjoy. They're less progressive and less build up-y, but they have a good singer and good rhythm, and still have complicated enough music to keep me interested, but Im losing interest in them a little faster than Porcupine Tree or Anathema.

I then discovered Glass Kites from somewhere around here in this forum. I love them. They sound great! They have such a buildup, awe-inspiring vocals and very good musicality. Alot of detail, alot of variation in the sound. Mirror Me sounds great. Very musical, quite complex in terms of sound, has buildup, sounds just right. Terra and Soothsayer sound pretty darned amazing as well. I just LOVE Glass Kites.

Then I found Children of Nova. Their album "The Complexity of Light" is one of my favorite albums. It's very fast, faster than I thought I'd like. The vocals are AMAZING. They introduced me to a little bit of growling, but it was so minor I don't mind it at all (never thought I'd be okay with a little bit of growling). One of my favorite songs of the album.

Some of Coldplay's music is quite my style as well. I enjoy Parachutes quite alot. Not as progressive and build up-y as Porcupine Tree, but it's well made and sounds good.

And that's all I listen to nowadays.

Now, after my essay.. *breathes deeply*
Can anyone help me find some more artists that I would enjoy?
Now, before telling me about Genesis and the like, I quite dislike older music. I don't really have an answer to why. It's too slow, too not-complex, too old, I don't know. I tried listening to Genesis, to Opeth's Damnation, didn't like it. So that kind of style of music doesn't suit me.

I tried Riverside's Anno Domini High Definition. It's too fast, too linear (it's always fast. No build up), it also doesnt have violins/piano/great vocals, which are the more important things for me to like in a band.

Now I've tried googling "top prog rock artists", and the like, and all that comes up sounds old, is old, or has bad vocals.

Could anyone help me find artists that will suit my very specific style? Something like Steven Wilson. Something like PT. Like Anathema. Something powerful and dynamic.

If you have any more questions to try and help me, post them and I'll answer my best.

Thank you so much for the read and I hope we could find me some good stuff.

TL:DR
Please suggest me stuff that sound like Porcupine Tree (the later albums), Anathema, Steven Wilson, The Pineapple thief. Stuff with good vocals, piano, violins, music things, that don't sound old. Thank you!
Read post for biography. Bolded most of my favorite stuff.

Edited by Tals975 - May 15 2015 at 14:24
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 14:29
If you are into Porcupine Tree's later, harder-edged stuff, you might want to check out US band Little Atlas, especially their 2013 album, Automatic Day. The similarity to PT is very hard to miss, as the title-track from Automatic Day clearly emphasizes:

Edited by Raff - May 15 2015 at 14:30
Tals975 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 14:34
I just had a listen to it. In terms of sound, from 2:10 it started sounding better, musically. I don't like the singer's voice. The music itself is quite good great tho. Maybe a tad slow before 2:10. Once I hit 2:10, it got much better musically, but I still don't care alot for the singer unfortunately :(

Do you have more suggestions in this area?
Thank you, alot, for the post. I really do appreciate it.

Edited by Tals975 - May 15 2015 at 14:36
Tals975 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 15:00
Also, listening to Guthrie Govan's solo material is quite nice. I wish it had lyrics :\
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 15:24
Welcome, awesome to see another big PT fan. Porcupine Tree and Tool are my two favorite bands. Big smile

I'd highly recommend Tool and Finger Eleven's 'Tip' album.

EDIT: I also recommend Panic Room, they sound right up your alley. Smile

Edited by Pastmaster - May 15 2015 at 15:33
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 15:55
What is your take on Blackfield?  It is another Steven Wilson project, with Israeli Aviv Geffen on most vocals.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 16:14
Hi,

You seem to have similar tastes in artists to me and a preference for newer music (70's music is 'my generation' but I find it boring and dated now).

I suggest you check out a thread I started a while back with many posts of recommendations of mostly newer bands in the style of Porcupine Tree, Anathema etc. Let me know what you like from that thread and I can recommend more bands as I have a pretty large playlist.
Tals975 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 16:37
Hey guys.
It's getting way past my sleep time. I'll have a look at this thread again in the morning.
Thanks again for the replys.

deanbob, I'll have a look and update you as I listen.
rushfan4, I havent listened to it yet but I've heard its quite good. I'll have a listen tomorrow!
Pastmaster, I've listened to a bit of Finger Eleven but not enough to have an opinion. Seems good at first glance, but Ill listen again and more tomorrow.

Thank you so much and have a nice weekend, guys!
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 17:00
Try iamthemorning, a chamber Wilson-like prog pop with beautiful female vocals. Seems like it's your style.

This night wounds time.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 22:00
If you didn't like Damnation, you may still like to check some other Opeth... that album is not representative of them. Most of them, as you may know, have harsh vocals, so if that's not you thing it may be difficult to find something (I have mainly searched for the non-grunting songs from them), however, their last album, Pale Comunion, doesn't have harsh vocals and isn't so slow and soft as damnation (also, perhaps you could check out the live version of Closure, from Damnation, on the live album/DVD Lammentations, it's much better than the original). From Riverside, you might like to check out other albums besides Anno Domini, perhaps those are slower for your taste (though they still don't have as many instruments as you say you like). Talking about lot's of instruments... perhaps you would like to check out Big Big Train's English Electric, I've been listening to that one and it's great, and has lot's of instruments and all. And also, perhaps you might try to give older music a try, sometimes repeated listening warms you to a sound that seems alien to you at the time, and once you get used to it you won't even know what sounded so wrong to begin with. I can think about Mike Oldfield, perhaps, who uses lot's of instruments and all, and he's got some really wonderful music (mostly instrumental, though).
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 00:56
Before you give up on Riverside give this one a try:

For some "extended instrumentation" try this one:

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 01:14
Hi. Not to toot my own horn - but i'm sure i was the one talking about Glass Kites Tongue A find of mine years back and have remained highly enjoyable. I was actually going to recommend Children of Nova as i started reading your post, so i think we have similar tastes in some ways. Hope you like these. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 01:25
Perhaps this?

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 09:03
And if all else fails, just sample stuff at progstreaming, I made a lot of discoveries there.  Dream The Electric Sleep was one of my favorite discoveries of 2014 although I think the credit goes to this site for that.

I discovered Porcupine Tree In Absentia on the long ago vanished AOL progressive rock streaming channel.  Steven Wilson put in the good word for Radiohead and doing internet research on them led me to this site Big smile

Also huge fan of The Pineapple Theif again a PA discovery.

I would encourage you to try to go outside of the box of stuff that sounds like stuff you already like.  Another great resource for discovery is the PA collaborator's yearly top 10 list.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 16 2015 at 09:08
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Tals975 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 02:08
Hey. I wanted to apologies for disappearing. Spilled soy milk on my only keyboard.

I thoroughly enjoyed Dream the Electric Sleep, and Pure Reason Revolution. Great find! Do you have more bands like them?
I didmt really like the sound of Big Big Train. Ill listen to more of their songs but I didnt like Judas Unrepentant.

Also, I didnt like Discipline, and I still don't enjoy Riverside, although what infocat linked is better than what I've heard.

While Iamthemorning's music is great, the female singer lacks a punch, she doesnt have deep, strong vocals, so I enjoyed the music but not the singing.

Keep suggesting stuff please! The more I listen to, the more I'll find!

Thank you guys so much!
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 03:31
Don't give up on Big Big Train, perhaps one of the best contemporary prog bands. Try this track instead.

Likewise, give Riverside another go. Try this one.

Here are a couple more random from my playlist

As suggested in my earlier post, check out a thread of mine with lots of recommendations in a similar vein to the artists you have posted about. I'll post a couple more in that thread.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 08:20
A few suggestions for the female vocals:

And a couple just because I really like these bands:

Edited by rushfan4 - May 17 2015 at 08:25
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 09:01
Yay for Shadow Circus and 3RDegree, my dear New Jersey friendsClap! 3RDegree's new album should come out during the summer, while unfortunately Shadow Circus are on hiatus due to personnel problems.

Anyway, if you enjoy strong female vocals, you could do much worse than check MoeTar - whose vocalist Moorea Dickason is a trained jazz singer who will knock your socks off:

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 09:27
Honestly if you are listening to Wilson, Pineapple Thief and Anathema sounds like the Kscope brand of "post-progressive" music (their label, not mine) might be right up your alley, to me Gazpacho are one of the best in this area so I'd give either Night or Tick Tock by them a spin
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2015 at 07:45
I'll echo Slarti's sentiments; try to go outside of the box - just a wee bit. If you always are searching for the same stuff, then nothing new ever happens.

Surprised to see that Airbag hasn't been mentioned though. These guys sound A LOT like PT, Pineapple Beef and (recent) Anathema.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>