Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMeet The Residents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meet The Residents
    Posted: May 19 2015 at 14:55
I don't think this has been done before (surprisingly), but this is a Residents appreciation thread. A place where fans can go when they feel like there the only ones at there that love them.
Favorite albums?
Favorite songs?
discuss anything anything you want about The Residents, this is the place to do it, and hopefully non fans out there will become fans and raise up their album ratings just a little bit higher.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 15:10
I've never heard the Residents yet, but I've heard a lot about them and they seem interesting. Any recommendations for some good albums to start with? 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 15:15
You mean the tux-and-tailed, top hat-wearing eyeball heads. They're freaks! Pass.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 16:34
I've always loved these Residents albums:

Meet The Residents
The Third Reich 'N' Roll
Duck Stab/Buster & Glen
Eskimo
Stars and Hank Forever

A great band in the '70's, and they keep having their moments every once in a while since.
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 16:46
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

I've never heard the Residents yet, but I've heard a lot about them and they seem interesting. Any recommendations for some good albums to start with? 

Not Available is  a great album and a good one to start with. It has one of there best songs, Edweena.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 18:42
Originally posted by justin4950834-2 justin4950834-2 wrote:

Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Not Available is  a great album and a good one to start with. It has one of there best songs, Edweena.

This. Also The Commercial Album is a good introduction. Once you check those out you should try Fingerprince and Duck Stab/Buster & Glen. Even some of their post-90s stuff would be a good introduction:

Magma America Great Make Again
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 06:40
The 'Festival of Death' off Eskimo is a prog-masterpiece, Oldfield-esque IMHO.   The above mentioned Commercial Album is definitely a good place to start but a personal fave is 'Walter Westinghouse'.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 20:21
Originally posted by justin4950834-2 justin4950834-2 wrote:

I don't think this has been done before (surprisingly), but this is a Residents appreciation thread. A place where fans can go when they feel like there the only ones at there that love them.
Favorite albums?
Favorite songs?
discuss anything anything you want about The Residents, this is the place to do it, and hopefully non fans out there will become fans and raise up their album ratings just a little bit higher.

Duck Stab/Buster & Glen

"Here I come Constantinople!"

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 04:28
It wasn't until recently that I really acquired the taste for The Residents, by buying Meet the Residents brand-new for $20, no tax at my local record store. Apparently, later on I found out it's the original mono-mix, which was lacking in every preceding release (after the first release). Nonetheless, a very amazing, quite accessible Residents album. Crazier than Trout Mask, and I seemed to like it much better than Trout (which I bought at the same time)..

Since then, I got hooked onto Not Available and am still profoundly impressed by the oddly-moving concept album (which they didn't want to release originally for fear of it being 'too personal'..) 

After, I bought The Third Reich off of Amazon mp3's for $2, very worth it. Massive songs, and every listen after I like it more and more. Once again, a masterpiece. In Seattle on a recent trip, they were trying to sell the censored release for $25, which was disappointing, and the dealer wouldn't go down a dollar because "The Residents fly off the shelf" (he was also selling The Commercial Album lp for $30, which is so beyond me).. Still, I was happy to see Residents in a bin at all, it's not too common to see their older albums. But the price-point is beyond crazy.

Anyways, I got Eskimo on a whim, and got The Commercial on CD for $8 yesterday. Still haven't acquired the taste for Duck Stab, listening to Bach Is Dead right before I slept led to horrid nightmares, oddly enough. Even though I don't find their music frightening, just truly enveloping and interesting. At times, even beautiful (The Making of the Soul and Rest Aria). I've tried Duck multiple times, but I just don't think it's for me. It does have a 'cavern' almost feel, which draws me back, but everytime I come back, I'm left a little disappointed.

My initial feeling for the band was that they were being weird for the sake of weird, after finally purchasing Meet the Residents though, my feeling quickly dissipated. What a band!! A band that deserves more discussion, for sure.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 05:12
The Residents where one of my milestone discoveries as a teen.

When you first hear them it's like "woah, what is this crazy stuff? This is dissonant as f**k!!" but after you start really taking it in, you realize: how melancholy they often are, how they subvert familiarity into a twisted reversal of expectations, how sick the human race is, how perverted society is, how artificial the mainstream culture is etc. they take you to many places in the human mind, not at all the goofy eyeball wearing group they thought they where. Their music is deep, psychological and well-informed. They sing about the human condition, the world that we all can relate to. 

Their music means a really big lot to me, something I will always cherish. 

I recommend most:

First 12 albums but especially "Meet The Residents", "Not Available", Eskimo".
then:
God In Three Persons
Freak Show
Gingerbread Man
Wormwood
Demons Dance Alone
Animal Lover
Voice Of Midnight
Bunny Boy
Mushroom
Ghost Of Hope

Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 05:18
Raccoon, yes Not Available is incredibly moving, enough to make me tear up every once and a while, it's a very wistful album for me
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 07:45
Animal Lover is my favorite.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 10:32
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

When you first hear them it's like "woah, what is this crazy stuff? This is dissonant as f**k!!" but after you start really taking it in, you realize: how melancholy they often are, how they subvert familiarity into a twisted reversal of expectations, how sick the human race is, how perverted society is, how artificial the mainstream culture is etc. they take you to many places in the human mind, not at all the goofy eyeball wearing group they thought they where. Their music is deep, psychological and well-informed. They sing about the human condition, the world that we all can relate to. 

Their music means a really big lot to me, something I will always cherish. 

Wow. Clap Beautifully written. Makes me really want to go back to The Residents. I've enjoyed their music, but never dived that deep into it. Looks like it's high time.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 15:22
One of those bands that really requires a shedding of bias to get into. For the most part their music is relatively minimalist when held up against the bulk of the Archives content. But there is a depth that makes their material very holistic and detailed.  I am still trying to absorb Eskimo. I ended up really enjoying the later, synth-heavy "story-telling" era of albums "Freak Show" and "God in 3 Persons". This year's release, "Ghost of Hope" is quite good. I also have "Icky Flix", a great DVD with videos from throughout the life of The Residents that includes original and re-written audio tracks.  
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 15:58
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Raccoon, yes Not Available is incredibly moving, enough to make me tear up every once and a while, it's a very wistful album for me

In Portland, going into Little Axe Records I got into a huge discussion about the Residents to the store-owner (at least I'm pretty sure he's the owner). Good guy, he said, "I've never been asked my favorite Resident album.." This all came up after I spotted an Art Bears album, we talked about Henry Cow, and I said, "If you like Henry Cow, you may like.. Residents" and he went RESIDENTS ARE MY FAVORITE BAND. He said his favorite album was Eskimo, which was an interesting choice (I thought).

He recommended me Renaldo and the Loaf which I've never heard of till he recommended them. He pulled out the Struve & Sneff LP and I decided to purchase it. He said, "Even if you don't like something by the Residents, NEVER sell it. It'll grow on you." And he was right, I despised the Struve on first listen. But I'm a big fan now.
 Post Reply Post Reply