Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (144)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [16.67%]
2 [33.33%]
2 [33.33%]
1 [16.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (144)
    Posted: May 20 2015 at 10:09
Die Knödel : Verkochte Tiroler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHHpWx5Zv1o

Hamster Theatre : Carnival Detournement 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3CVZXL7G68

Panzerpappa : Farlig Vandring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sRgm5GS870

La STPO : L'imparfait Multiple de Dieu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sJEm-oKkAc
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 10:12
Panzerpappa Farlig Vandring album cover

Review by Bj-1 
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
5 stars Panzerpappa is one of the finest RIO/Avant bands out there currently, these guys have strong influences from bands like Univers Zero and Samla Mammas Manna, and together with the band's amazing musicianship there's no doubt that these guys are something to really check out. The music can best be described as modern Symphonic RIO with very eclectic instrumentation. This album, the band's third release "Farlig Vandring", is just like that. This stuff is extremely complex, very progressive and avoids the "repeating ourselves" trap (something that many other bands have failed) with elegance; It's very fresh sounding and original with other words, and the melodies are excellent. It's really hard to pick out a favorite track here since the album is quite even overall, except for a few very experimental improv sections here and there but that will most likely grow on you. As I said earlier, the musicianship is amazing; every band member is masters of their instruments and the instruments never overshadows themselves plus that there isn't any showcasing from the band here though the music remains mind-boggingly complex. Really great stuff overall!

While their two first releases "...passer gullfisk" and "Hulemysteriet" are out of print (they were only released as CD-r's actually), "Farlig Vandring" is the first Panzerpappa album to be released on a real record label. Still, it's very hard to find sue to it's low distrubution, but if you are a lover of this genre and find this one, then definitely pick it up. Highly recommended, especially for RIO/Avant fans!

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 14:03
I know the first three but the last one was new to me. I loved La STPO, I got to look into them...that's what I voted for.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 15:11
Thumbs Up It is an avant-garde's band that exists since 1984. That album, their last, is the most accessible. The first  track lasts approximately half an hour and it's terrific. 

Their entire name is: La société timide à la parade des oiseaux. The shy society at the birds parade Big smile

The Duck Parade
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 15:24
Oops ! slight error. It's: La société des timides à la parade des oiseaux. The society of the shy persons at the birds parade. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 19:42
Wow..I know three of these! Tongue

I'll vote for Hamster Theater. Silly, fun, but still contains alot of musical interest.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 02:24
Thumbs Up Well said. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 08:53

Ceci est le 7e album du groupe, lequel est actif depuis près de 30 ans! Leur musique est définitivement inclassable, entre électronique étrange, RIO des années 80 et scène post-punk. Tout comme Ptose, un autre groupe des années 80, ils ont été régulièrement comparés aux Residents, bien que leur musique soit souvent plus rock. Sur ce nouvel opus, la STPO explore des contrées plus avant-prog, notamment dans le très long morceau qui ouvre l'abum (27 minutes). La musique est très arrangée, avec de longs passages instrumentaux et elle est aussi plus mélodique que précédemment (...à leur façon!). Les amateurs d'aventures éclectiques (Faust, Pere Ubu, Officer!, The Work, This Heat etc.) apprécieront ce disque inventif & hors normes. Ce territoire musical étrange est une première pour Soleil Mutant, il va sans dire que cet album nous a enthousiasmé!

This is the 7th album of the group, which is active since almost 30 years! Their music is definitively unclassifiable, between strange electronics, RIO of the 80s and post-punk scene. Just like Ptose, another group of the 80s, they were regularly compared with the Residents, although their music is often more rock. On this new opus, the STPO explores parts of the country more before - prog, in particular in the very long piece which opens the abum (27 minutes). The music is very arranged, with long instrumental passages and it is also more melodic as previously (in their way!). The amateurs of eclectic adventures (Faust, Father Ubu, Officer! The Work, This Heat etc.) will appreciate this creative and exceptional record.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 01:39
Die Knodel Verkochte Tiroler / Overcooked Tyroleans album cover
Die Knödel have redefined Austrian "blasmusik" (brass-band music), a genre that seems to be caged in commercial kitsch settings reinforcing the German/Austrian cliché of "lederhosen" boys and "dirndl" girls constantly drinking beer and eating sauerkraut.

No serious music lover ever expected this type of music to have some creative potential, and rather than reviving an artistical corpse, Die Knödel have fathered a sort of post-modern "blasmusik" for the new millenium.

There are traditional rhythms of Austrian folk-music which lend the base for all sorts of exciting sound experiments involving the extensive band line-up of wind and string instruments. Die Knödel are the brainchild of Christoph Dienz (bassoon, dulcimer, vocals) who is responsible formost of the compositions.

In 1993, they had their CD debut with "Verkochte Tiroler" (also known as Overcooked Tyroleans on the North American market), and its success was immediate. Die Knödel performed constantly throughout their homeland and became one of the most exciting acts of '90s Austrian music. "Panorama", a collectionof non-Knödel-compositions and "Die Noodle!" were both released in 1995.

Like the debut, both albums are full of interesting ideas. In 1997 followed "Der Unfisch", a soundtrack for the film of the same name by Robert Dornhelmand one year later they presented a collaboration with the Seattle-based composer Amy Denio - "No Lo So Polo", an opera about the life of Italian explorer Marco Polo. — Frank Eisenhuth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYFsZInY5Ug

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 14:56
Hamster Theatre - Carnival Detournement    CD (album) cover
5 stars What can I say about this brilliant album, the best discovery of last year for me? (And there were a lot of them). They are progressive in the best sense of the word, not beholden to any cliché traditions of 70s progressive, but entirely open to many musical styles, which they juggle with the virtuosity of circus performers. Circus and carnival seem to be themes here, suggested by the very title, and there are often traces of Nino Rota and the circus, as well as elements of French and Balkan folk music. But that doen't mean there's no hard edges, as guitar virtuoso Mike Johnson provides the necessary edge when appropriate. Dave Willey and he are both key members of Thinking Plague as well, and this album shares the same totally uncomprimising spirit.

Opening with "Vermillion Hue over Lausanne", you think you're dealing with a funky Reggae album, until Johnson enters with some crunching crimsonoid guitar, making clear that for all its delicacy, Hamster is a force to be reckoned with. "Jeanne-Marie" has a most unusual setting for a progressive composition, with accordion, clarinet, and glockenspiel, but develops into one of the most intricate and beautiful pieces I've heard in years. "The Breach" sounds almost like an avant-garde tune by the great brasilian composer Jobim, with it's soaring flute melodies over kalimba and electric sitar, but is sadly too short. "Tick Fever" is really deep, melancholy carnival music, as moody as it gets, and "The Carrot is a Hologram" is closer to modern classical and Rota's score for Fellini's "Casanova". "The Cat Song" is like a Klezmer stomp meeting Raymond Scott at night in a deserted alley.

All in all, the album is so varied that each listening is like hearing a new album, it's one of those rare albums (like Thinking Plagues "In Extremis") that never gets tiresome or too familiar. Most astounding of all is the fact that this very European music originated in the United States. Royaljelly.

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 16:43
I voted for Panzerpappa. I don't have any of these particular albums but do have a Panzerpappa record and am familiar with Hamster Theatre.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 16:50
You probably have Koralrevens Klagesang,john, with Richard Sinclair singing on a track. Excellent album. Farlig Vandring is closer to SMM.  Unfortunately, it's impossible to find Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply