Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Six nordic giants of the 90´s
    Posted: May 24 2015 at 19:37
These 6 nordic bands revitalized the scene in the nineties, please choose one
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 20:41
Not a big fan of any of those but I do own albums by them except for Par Lindh and Landberk.
Went with Anekdoten here becaue of the mellotron and song similarities to KC at times.
Oh..i do like some of the early FK albums also.

Edited by dr wu23 - May 24 2015 at 20:42
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 20:50
Anglagard
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 21:30
Andekdoten, Sinkadus, Anglagard, Landberk, Par Lindh, Flower Kings in that order.
PROGMATIC
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 21:35
Don't know so much from these. I do have Hybris, and really love it. I've got the last 2 Flower Kings albums, and though there are some things I like, I feel like it's missing something... perhaps I should get some of their earlier albums. I've heard some Anekdoten on Youtube, but haven't gotten around to buy any album. And I want to get Landberk's first album... but the version sung in swedish, and I just can't seem to find it. So, I would be tempted to vote Anglagard, but don't really know nearly enough from this scene to really vote for one.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 21:36
Forgot to say why: Anekdoten (spelled correctly as opposed to my last post; oops) just trips all my prog triggers, and the melancholy resonates in my soul. Sinkadus a close second. Anglagard I enjoy immensely too, but they don't have that certain something that touches me inwardly. Anekdoten is one of my favorite bands, period. I particularly love "Waking the Dead: Live in Japan" as a representation of their earlier work, and love every studio album since as well.
Shame on me, have yet to get the new one which is killing me. But finances suck, the meds after a kidney transplant are incredible!
PROGMATIC
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 22:32
Favorite bands here? Easily Anekdoten then Landberk. Dark, brooding, great usage of space and tension, and great songwriting. 

Bands that are more important to the revitalizing of the scene?

I'd say Flower Kings with whatever else trailing behind. Why? Flower Kings are neo-prog. A new band filled with masterful musicians making music that echos the past? That'll be my guess. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 01:38
I am not familiar with Sinkadus (though I should be.........) but have many albums by the others, all top-shelf Prog. I have to go with Anglagard, IMO the best thing to have happened to Prog during he early 90's.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 01:57
I only know Anglagard and TFK. I absolutely love Anglagard. Since I don't know the others I'm not going to vote.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 02:13
It's only Sinkadus from this lot that I don't know...know OF, for sure, but not heard any of their music. Can anyone recommend the best place to start in their discography?

While I probably listen to the Flower Kings the most from this lot, I think I'd have to chose Anekdoten. A relatively modern band that get a perfect balance of accessible melodic songwriting with beautiful proggy instrumental flavours. Haven't put out anything close to a disappointing album, and it's nice they don't feel the need to throw out a new album ever single year.

I've got a few Par Lindh Project albums, with `Veni Vidi Vici' being a bit of a modern symphonic classic, and `Gothic Impressions' nice too, but the vocals drag it down a notch.

That first Landberk album is pretty special as well. I don't listen to it all the time, but everytime I do, it reminds me `Why don't I play t his more often?!'...lots of beautiful atmosphere on that one. It's not instantly impressive, instead a slow-builder that really shines on repeated listens. Plenty of beautiful melancholy on that one!

Anglagard is terrific as well. The debut `Hybris' is the classic album for me, `Epiolog' not far behind, and `Viljars Oga' still very impressive if not quite up to the same standard as the first two.
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 04:21
The Flower Kings
Anekdoten
Anglagard
Par Lindh Project
Landberk
Sinkadus

In that order. The last two are just alright, and I would throw Isildurs Bane in there probably just below Anekdoten. Sweden really is untouchable in modern prog.

Edited by Altairius - May 25 2015 at 04:40
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 05:45
Anglagard from these, but White Willow beats them all.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 07:18
I know Anglagard and The Flower Kings only from those above. And very slightly Anekdoten. So I won't vote this time. If I'd vote anyway it'd be TFK probably.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 09:32

I choose Anekdoten, because of their consistency until these days. The two Sinkadus studio albums offer great music too. Third place on my list is for Änglagård, especially for Hybris.

Edited by Olape - September 30 2015 at 07:02
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 11:43
Tough choice between Landberk and Anekdoten, I really love both bands, finished voting Landberk because it has fewer votes. My order of preference would be:

1 Landberk - Anekdoten
2 Sinkadus
3 Anglagard
4 Flower Kings
5 Par Lindh Project

Landberk evolved their sound, their first album
Riktig Äkta is a masterpiece , complex, dark, mysticism and melancholy. His last album (Indian Summer) is much more accessible, but it reflects the characteristic Nordic melancholy.

Anekdoten also evolved over the time, their first two albums (Vemod and Nucleus) show their love for King Crimson (especially the Wetton era), were then mutated to obtain a more personal sound. His discography is very consistent.

Sinkadus is a band with a short career but with two fantastic albums, my favorite is Cirkus, is also very interesting his work in the album "The Colossus of Rhodes". tons of mellotrons and moogs, enigmatic soundscapes, long and complex compositions define their style.

Anglagard love Hybris and Epilog, their last studio album is great too.

I didn´t include in the pool Isuldurs bane (band which I love) because they began in the early eighties.
White willow instead began in the mid-nineties (his first album is Fatuus Ignis 1995) and I wanted to reflect in the pool bands that began in the early nineties.

pd: sorry for my english
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 13:25
The Flower Kings by a wide margin.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 15:05
Anekdoten, easily.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 16:49
Lately I've been listening lots of The Flower Kings, so this time they get my vote ...
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 17:03
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

It's only Sinkadus from this lot that I don't know...know OF, for sure, but not heard any of their music. Can anyone recommend the best place to start in their discography?

While I probably listen to the Flower Kings the most from this lot, I think I'd have to chose Anekdoten. A relatively modern band that get a perfect balance of accessible melodic songwriting with beautiful proggy instrumental flavours. Haven't put out anything close to a disappointing album, and it's nice they don't feel the need to throw out a new album ever single year.

I've got a few Par Lindh Project albums, with `Veni Vidi Vici' being a bit of a modern symphonic classic, and `Gothic Impressions' nice too, but the vocals drag it down a notch.

That first Landberk album is pretty special as well. I don't listen to it all the time, but everytime I do, it reminds me `Why don't I play t his more often?!'...lots of beautiful atmosphere on that one. It's not instantly impressive, instead a slow-builder that really shines on repeated listens. Plenty of beautiful melancholy on that one!

Anglagard is terrific as well. The debut `Hybris' is the classic album for me, `Epiolog' not far behind, and `Viljars Oga' still very impressive if not quite up to the same standard as the first two.

Hey Michael,
As far as i'm concerned Cirkus is the one to get although their debut is really good too. Only two studio albums which are out of print I believe, plus the live one from the Prog festival in LA back in the nineties. Many compare them to Anglagard as far as their sound goes. Monster bass lines and plenty of mellotron. Flute too. Love this band.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 17:06
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Tough choice between Landberk and Anekdoten, I really love both bands, finished voting Landberk because it has fewer votes. My order of preference would be:

1 Landberk - Anekdoten
2 Sinkadus
3 Anglagard
4 Flower Kings
5 Par Lindh Project

Landberk evolved their sound, their first album
Riktig Äkta is a masterpiece , complex, dark, mysticism and melancholy. His last album (Indian Summer) is much more accessible, but it reflects the characteristic Nordic melancholy.

Anekdoten also evolved over the time, their first two albums (Vemod and Nucleus) show their love for King Crimson (especially the Wetton era), were then mutated to obtain a more personal sound. His discography is very consistent.

Sinkadus is a band with a short career but with two fantastic albums, my favorite is Cirkus, is also very interesting his work in the album "The Colossus of Rhodes". tons of mellotrons and moogs, enigmatic soundscapes, long and complex compositions define their style.

Anglagard love Hybris and Epilog, their last studio album is great too.

I didn´t include in the pool Isuldurs bane (band which I love) because they began in the early eighties.
White willow instead began in the mid-nineties (his first album is Fatuus Ignis 1995) and I wanted to reflect in the pool bands that began in the early nineties.

pd: sorry for my english

I'm glad you mentioned Sinkadus' involvement with The Colossus of Rhodes as they really impress on that one.
By the way your English is fine. Also I really wanted to vote for Sinkadus so they'd have a vote but I can't go against Anekdoten here.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>