Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Prog Getting Bigger?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Prog Getting Bigger?
    Posted: May 25 2015 at 14:39
You probably don't understand exactly what I mean by reading the title, so I will elaborate.

Do you think prog is getting more and more popular as time goes by, or do you think its getting more and more forgotten with less and less people listening to it.

Now days there are a lot of trends that are kind of popping up that were the thing back in the day, musically and non musically. Indie rock is kind of like the new mainstream prog that everybody listens to where nobody actual realises that a lot of them were inspired by prog bands. I got a lot of friends who listen to indie rock and some of it is actually pretty complex, borderline prog, but of course they avoid Yes, Genesis ect. Or theres the self absorbing idiotic hipster who thinks he is so cool and original because he listens to Dark Side Of The Moon and wheres the T-shirts, but really doesn't even know what Prog Rock is.

Theres been a lot of trends lately, you never know, maybe prog can pop up one of these days as a trend where everybody listens to them, and then go away in the blink of an eye (Hopefully not). People just need to take that extra step.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 15:11
I believe that prog as a niche has gotten bigger but compared to popular music forms like Hip Hop, Pop, Metal, etc., that it has to compete with, I would say no.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 16:07
I would say that prog remains dynamic, which is amazing considering how badly broken the music industry is. Judging from the number of releases issued each year, many musicians are happy to produce prog even though they will never fill arenas, let alone pay the bills without a day job. It is my general feeling that, in this regard, prog is currently in better shape than jazz and fusion, which appear to have lost their edginess.

Young people as a whole seem less engaged with music than in the past - the big acts just aren't as big as they once were, and there are so many daily distractions vying for attention courtesy of breathless media and the internet. I am also getting the feeling that streaming and downloading has made music less precious. 

I have daily contact with scads of graduate students, and very few of them hang on every note and word uttered by musicians in the way that my generation did with the Beatles, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Zappa, etc. And the few that do seem to be attracted to the '60s and '70 bands. When I quote Led Zeppelin during a lecture, however, most students get it immediately. Post-'70s prog bands don't seem to interest students at all. Then again, neoclassical composers don't interest me as much as the originals either. Most students in my classes know who Roger Waters and Peter Gabriel are; almost nobody has heard of Neal Morse, Roine Stolt, Steven Wilson, or Phideaux Xavier. Those who play guitar are aware of John Petrucci.

There may be a disconcerting trend emerging in the popularity of prog. For example, the number of people participating in the annual poll on the Dutch Progressive Rock Page is declining precipitously, which is attributed by the site managers largely to an aging core fanbase. It would be interesting to know what the metrics indicate here on Prog Archives - perhaps an admin or two can chime in with some insight about what the numbers reveal, as well as the pitfalls in interpreting web metrics.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 16:44
Music, outside the commercial best seller crap lists, is constantly on the move. Whether you call that prog or something else doesn't matter. There's a lot going on and the amount of artists as well as the amount of listeners interested in is growing. Doesn't meant that prog (for which we still cannot provide a useful definition btw) is getting bigger, it means that music keeps evolving and the amount of people realising that is at least not decreasing.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 16:52
It seems only Steven Wilson and Transatlantic even make a dent. Really sad.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 16:58
Yes and no, depends what kind of prog.

The modern "prog revival" scene is definitely dying out and there's no way that bands like Transatlantic will ever have a fanbase in 5-10 years time. Even classic-style prog metal like Dream Theater is dying. 

But there are tons of newer sounds making waves. There's been a big revival of jazz-fusion esque instrumental stuff that's big with the kids, and some more interesting metal bands like Leprous are only getting bigger. Prog is popular but it's not the sort of stuff that PA likes, to be honest.

In terms of the classics, King Crimson are as big as ever now, basically considered godfathers of modern rock by the new generation. Other classic bands have less of a following, but some respect.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 17:19
I think prog rock is, and will for a long time, be a consistent underground genre. It's unlikely that it will have a breakthrough to the public in the years to come, and even more so that it will just vanish, but I reckon that it will outlast many other styles by years (e.g. modern folk pop) because of its musical genius and integrity, and merely the adventurousness and its outgoing, yet still soulful qualities. As you said with those hipsters you see wearing things like "Unknown Pleasures" and "Velvet Underground & Nico" shirts, there will probably be a few more tribes to come who get caught up in a temporary hype over something like "Camel" or "Comus" - who knows. Either way, prog is always growing and reaching more people thanks to the recent expanse in technology. Of course, the downside to this being that there are more opportunities for the music industry to overwhelm and brainwash us with extremely hyped-up, over-produced bands, and forcing those who are more musically suggestible onto the bandwagon. In the end, we can only wait and see... 

Nice thread by the way!! Smile 

Edited by Xonty - May 25 2015 at 17:19
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 17:33
I'd say broader but not bigger, there are tons of bands out there but the level of success is way lower than the 70's. The low cost self-release approach allows lots of stuff to be released that the labels wouldn't have in the past. Still loads of good music out there.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
pitfall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 17:52
I think that in the last few years there has been an increase in what is considered to be 'Prog', which in effect widens the genre to considerably more people.
For example, we now have quite a few 'Math Rock' groups who fall under the prog banner, as well as 'Progressive Metal' and a new type of music which I am currently pioneering - 'Sloth Metal'.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 20:29
In the grand scheme, "Prog rock" may not really exist.   Nor did it ever.   Though the term "progressive rock" was in use as far back as the early '60s, it was more a term of convenience ~ a descriptive ~ rather than a singularity like Bluegrass or Rockabilly.  

I think what we had was a state of continual progression from about 1965 through 1985 (possibly culminating with U2); an immense growth period that seemed limitless and surely permanent but as with anything, that period slowed and recessed.   It is only now that we look back and go "Yeah they were a prog band" or "No they were not".   But at the time it was just the state of modern rock.   Heavy metal (not Progmetal) could easily be considered a form of prog rock, and in fact was by many because at the time, Priest and Zeppelin and the Scorps were progressing the state of rock music with the same sense of ambition and dynamism that Genesis and Yes were.   If you were a rock artist, either you were progressing rock or you were leering enviously at those who were. 

In answer to the OP:  No, I don't think prog is getting bigger because rock is not getting bigger.   It is in fact shrinking.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 22:21
^ For the most part, I'm liking your view of rock history, though I'd argue instead that rock's just stagnated on balance; you do in fact have plenty of progressive artists across the width and breadth of rock to match the multitude of heel-dragging and backwards-heading artists. And I'd say the state of progression starts with the very beginning of rock in the early '50's and lasts until the late '90's, when the rise of post-grunge and nu metal started holding the genre back as best they could, and, again, that hasn't stopped a lot of artists.
smoledman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 22:47
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

In the grand scheme, "Prog rock" may not really exist.   Nor did it ever.   Though the term "progressive rock" was in use as far back as the early '60s, it was more a term of convenience ~ a descriptive ~ rather than a singularity like Bluegrass or Rockabilly.  

I think what we had was a state of continual progression from about 1965 through 1985 (possibly culminating with U2); an immense growth period that seemed limitless and surely permanent but as with anything, that period slowed and recessed.   It is only now that we look back and go "Yeah they were a prog band" or "No they were not".   But at the time it was just the state of modern rock.   Heavy metal (not Progmetal) could easily be considered a form of prog rock, and in fact was by many because at the time, Priest and Zeppelin and the Scorps were progressing the state of rock music with the same sense of ambition and dynamism that Genesis and Yes were.   If you were a rock artist, either you were progressing rock or you were leering enviously at those who were. 

In answer to the OP:  No, I don't think prog is getting bigger because rock is not getting bigger.   It is in fact shrinking.

I thought Metallica continued the progression of music in 1988 with "And Justice For All". You can't just pick an arbitrary date(1985) and say THAT's when music stopped progressing. I think it's always been progressing in the underground, alternate scene. You just had to pay attention and do some work to find it.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 22:49
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

^ For the most part, I'm liking your view of rock history, though I'd argue instead that rock's just stagnated on balance; you do in fact have plenty of progressive artists across the width and breadth of rock to match the multitude of heel-dragging and backwards-heading artists. And I'd say the state of progression starts with the very beginning of rock in the early '50's and lasts until the late '90's, when the rise of post-grunge and nu metal started holding the genre back as best they could, and, again, that hasn't stopped a lot of artists.

How was post-grunge and nu metal holding anything back? Nu metal bands were doing unique things, so how is that holding anything back? Music is always progressing, and with that in mind there is so much that could be called progressive. While many prog fans probably cringe at the mention of a band like Korn, Korn did something that progressed rock/metal music. Korn's debut was certainly a unique album, and a masterpiece to my ears. While it's sound was rooted in groove metal which had been done before, they added a gritty and murky darkness that wasn't there before. Their lyrical themes were also pretty unique at the time. I think the best thing we can do is ignore labels, and just accept it when we find some music that we enjoy. 

Edited by Pastmaster - May 25 2015 at 22:56
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2015 at 23:24
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

How was post-grunge and nu metal holding anything back? Nu metal bands were doing unique things, so how is that holding anything back? Music is always progressing, and with that in mind there is so much that could be called progressive. While many prog fans probably cringe at the mention of a band like Korn, Korn did something that progressed rock/metal music. Korn's debut was certainly a unique album, and a masterpiece to my ears. While it's sound was rooted in groove metal which had been done before, they added a gritty and murky darkness that wasn't there before. Their lyrical themes were also pretty unique at the time. I think the best thing we can do is ignore labels, and just accept it when we find some music that we enjoy. 

To say that post-grunge was in any way a forward thinking movement is foolish. The whole movement was just about making the same Pearl Jam record over and over again without any of the thought that Pearl Jam themselves put into their albums. There's acknowledging that almost all genres are good and progressive, and then there's not acknowledging that there are rare exceptions such as.

Nu metal started with a unique idea and drove it into the ground by not moving forward with it. Korn have been an exceptionally lazy band, hence the immense dislike for them. I wouldn't quite throw most of the nu metal anywhere near as down to the same level as the post-grunge bands, but they proved more detrimental to radio rock than helpful.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 00:14

To say that post-grunge was in any way a forward thinking movement is foolish. The whole movement was just about making the same Pearl Jam record over and over again without any of the thought that Pearl Jam themselves put into their albums. There's acknowledging that almost all genres are good and progressive, and then there's not acknowledging that there are rare exceptions such as.

Nu metal started with a unique idea and drove it into the ground by not moving forward with it. Korn have been an exceptionally lazy band, hence the immense dislike for them. I wouldn't quite throw most of the nu metal anywhere near as down to the same level as the post-grunge bands, but they proved more detrimental to radio rock than helpful.

Many bands that have been labeled as 'post-grunge' sound absolutely nothing like Pearl Jam or the like. Bands like Breaking Benjamin created their own sound, just like any other band. Also, I wouldn't call Korn lazy in any way. Their sound evolved over time, for better and for worse. Nu-metal evolved too though, bands like System of a Down and Mudvayne took the groove metal roots of nu-metal and combined it with complex compositions and other musical styles.

Edited by Pastmaster - May 26 2015 at 00:20
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 00:28

Many bands that have been labeled as 'post-grunge' sound absolutely nothing like Pearl Jam or the like. Bands like Breaking Benjamin created their own sound, just like any other band. Also, I wouldn't call Korn lazy in any way. Their sound evolved over time, for better and for worse. Nu-metal evolved too though, bands like System of a Down and Mudvayne took the groove metal roots of nu-metal and combined it with complex compositions and other musical styles. The problem is not with the music, but with ignorant elitists, which there is no shortage of in the prog community.

You talk as if I only listen to prog.

Post-grunge bands, as a rule, never created their own sounds. The exceptions to the Pearl Jam egging rule only prove the rule further: Godsmack is the world's greatest Alice in Chains tribute band, and Breaking Benjamin just fused Nickelback with stagnation era Korn. None of them were anything more than radio rock egging garage bands that got record deals. They only ever evolved for the worst.

And remember what I said about nu metal bands starting with a unique idea, and then sitting on it forever? As Korn did, so did System of a Down and Mudvayne. And don't make me bring up He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

I have the combined fortune/misfortune to listen to these bands every day on the local modern rock station. These bands have inadvertently created fodder for corporate run radio to overplay. The station never plays anything from after the day All The Right Reasons came out. Since almost all rock radio precludes any newer artists, the course of music's evolution is held back. Finding all the actually forward thinking bands to listen to, support, and be inspired by takes a bit of extra effort, and for many, it never happens.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 00:42

Many bands that have been labeled as 'post-grunge' sound absolutely nothing like Pearl Jam or the like. Bands like Breaking Benjamin created their own sound, just like any other band. Also, I wouldn't call Korn lazy in any way. Their sound evolved over time, for better and for worse. Nu-metal evolved too though, bands like System of a Down and Mudvayne took the groove metal roots of nu-metal and combined it with complex compositions and other musical styles. The problem is not with the music, but with ignorant elitists, which there is no shortage of in the prog community.

Post-grunge bands, as a rule, never created their own sounds. The exceptions to the Pearl Jam egging rule only prove the rule further: Godsmack is the world's greatest Alice in Chains tribute band, and Breaking Benjamin just fused Nickelback with stagnation era Korn. None of them were anything more than radio rock egging garage bands that got record deals. They only ever evolved for the worst.

And remember what I said about nu metal bands starting with a unique idea, and then sitting on it forever? As Korn did, so did System of a Down and Mudvayne. And don't make me bring up He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

I have the combined fortune/misfortune to listen to these bands every day on the local modern rock station. These bands have inadvertently created fodder for corporate run radio to overplay. The station never plays anything from after the day All The Right Reasons came out. Since almost all rock radio precludes any newer artists, the course of music's evolution is held back. Finding all the actually forward thinking bands to listen to, support, and be inspired by takes a bit of extra effort, and for many, it never happens.

I apologize for the last comment I made, it was uncalled for. By forward thinking, do you mean not showing your influences? When I listen to Godsmack, I do hear Alice in Chains influence, but they don't rip them off. Saying that, I could easily call many 'prog' bands something that damages the evolution of music. Many modern prog bands copy older bands. Haken's 'The Mountain' is full of Gentle Giant and Dream Theater influences, but look at how many people on this site love it. I don't hear any Korn or Nickelback in Breaking Benjamin, but I guess everyone hears something different.

I'm not saying post-grunge and nu-metal are the greatest things ever and there's no crap in there, after all a certain band with the initials 'L.B.' is one of the worst things I've ever heard, but it's not like those genres have any more crap then other genres. 
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 01:00

I apologize for the last comment I made, it was uncalled for. By forward thinking, do you mean not showing your influences? When I listen to Godsmack, I do hear Alice in Chains influence, but they don't rip them off. Saying that, I could easily call many 'prog' bands something that damages the evolution of music. Many modern prog bands copy older bands. Haken's 'The Mountain' is full of Gentle Giant and Dream Theater influences, but look at how many people on this site love it. I don't hear any Korn or Nickelback in Breaking Benjamin, but I guess everyone hears something different.

I'm not saying post-grunge and nu-metal are the greatest things ever and there's no crap in there, after all a certain band with the initials 'L.B.' is one of the worst things I've ever heard, but it's not like those genres have any more crap then other genres. 

Apology happily accepted.

Now, where detractors of post-grunge bands come from is a similar place as detractors of some of the symphonic revivalists: the bands we call stagnant in these genres are wearing their influences far too heavily on their sleeves. The bands in question have a sound that isn't enough their own, and they don't do much with it. And this is hardly unique to even just those two genres - one is overly ubiquitous, so it gets all the flak, and the other we hear so much about because this is a prog forum - it happens elsewhere. It just comes across that post-grunge is unhealthily built on the idea. So as such, there's a very good chance that label happy folks just constructed the label that way to cordon off the unoriginal bands dominating the radio from the late '90's on.

I do find that Korn, System of a Down, Godsmack, Staind, and even Nickelback had their moments of decent songwriting, in a time now long since past. They just come across as exceptions to an unfortunate rule.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 01:59
On the side of all these very talented new bands, new sub-genres that didn't existed in "classic era" ( e.g. Prog Metal and / or Math Rock), and tons of excellent self-released albums (what was something quite imposible in the analog era), our beloved genre is getting bigger for a band like Pink Floyd, due to the fact that Pink Floyd was not considered as a Progressive Rock band back in the day. Pink Floyd was undivided considered as a Psychedelic Rock band and in 70s nobody was talking (writing) about them as a part of Progressive Rock scene ("movement"). The same thing is with some of 70s Hard Rock bands that are, due to the fact that they were pretty melodic, accepted by (new) prog crowd as Heavy Prog bands releatively recently; I think that they have never hoped for, lol.

However, today's Prog is ghettoized as a genre, but actually it's happen with any other genre today, i.e. one who is listening to new Prog Rock bands generally do not listen e.g. new Blues-Rock artists; that was not the case in the seventies when almost everyone bought everything, when an average prog fan's collection had a Blues-Rock LPs of e.g. Led Zeppelin and / or Cream. Or, vica versa, those who were listening to "classic rock", also bought LPs (and the concert tickets) by 70s Prog Rock bands, what actually encourages the illusion that it used to be incredibly more of hardcore prog fans than today.

At the present day, young people usually buy the CDs and vinyls of a genre(s) that they really like, while they are listening to some other music on Youtube; people do not need anymore to add to their collection an LP or CD that just to hear once again the music that is not of their favourite genre but they probably loved the song when they heard that at fm radio. It was sometning usual in the 70s, but now and with that new audience, it is almost impossible to see that "cocktail".

Edited by Svetonio - May 26 2015 at 06:35
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2015 at 02:42
I think is just because we are on a Prog rock fan side, that everything is put into small boxes, in real life a lot of people have a diverse music taste, and listen to Prog along side other genres, without thinging to much about
if it could be consideret prog or not.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>