Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Prog Getting Bigger?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 07:42
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Actually, Jethro Tull was one of the pioneers of the Progressive Rock genre at its heydays, and as you know it's late 60s and the first half of the seventies.
Actually Jethro Tull were pretty much a blues band for the first one or two albums.
Of course, chopper. A Blues with the flute. I can see that you are a big conoisseur of Blues, so I'd like to recommend you a poll with the results that probably could be interesting for you: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102533
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 15:12
In terms of musical media recognition - very slowly, bit by bit, but still yes.
In terms of musical influence - a HUGE yes. 

Even if the music is stubbornly not branded as prog, nobody can deny that there's a bit of prog in music everywhere today.

justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 21:26
Originally posted by Thandrus Thandrus wrote:

In terms of musical media recognition - very slowly, bit by bit, but still yes.
In terms of musical influence - a HUGE yes. 

Even if the music is stubbornly not branded as prog, nobody can deny that there's a bit of prog in music everywhere today.

Good point
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 20:07
I have come from the future and since I made this thread 2 months ago, I do believe prog has gotten bigger.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 20:23
hmmm

is prog getting bigger?

of course not... it is dying ... festivals going..  audiences dying off. Any larger look with ones eyes open sees it.  Look at all the new bands out there... the real creative epiccenter of todays scene is in avant and crossover..  nether style remotely associated stylsitcally with prog rock. Yes there are those out there doing symphonic prog albums...  good luck finding audiences.. they simply aren't out there.  Why.. when they are little more than replicas of music done (and perfected) by 1st gen bands.  The progressive scene thrives today because they have expanded and reached out to 'music fan'  not prog fan. Those are the bands that selling albums..  gigging 300 days a year. They are n't playing to prog fans..  just music fans. They don't consider themselves prog.. nor should you.

it is dying and has been for years, Nearfest going under was the first visible sign, but in hindsight the genre had been dying for years. Some recognized it prior to, some afterward, some still don't see it today.

prog rock may be dying... but the larger scene of progressive music is healthier now than any time since the early 70's.  The point some miss is a great majority of those bands do not consider themselves.. nor want to be assoicated with prog rock. The onus is not on recxreating the same cliched stylistic norms..  20 minute epics..  washes of mellotron.  It has in fact come back full circle.. it is a bunch of bands carving their own niches from their own diverse sets of inspirations..

Edited by micky - July 02 2015 at 20:25
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 17:40
" it is a bunch of bands carving their own niches from their own diverse sets of inspirations.."

..... and that is surely a wonderful thing.

I've been guilty of it myself in the past but obsession with labels is a big part of the problem I reckon. While I love going back to old favourites and am happy as a pig in sh*te to find new to me old stuff that gives me that goofy grin I still look for musicians who try and expand on what has gone before. Best gig I've been to this year was Bright Eyes (Connor Oberst). I suppose I think of it as progressive country, whatever it is I think the guy is a genius. I don't suppose too many people here would agree. To me, him and a lot his peers in the alt.country scene simply have more to say to me than the recent(ish) output of PR heroes from the 70s. Maybe it is simply that I look for stuff that is to me progressive or maybe it is simply avant garde. Hell, before I came here and found out that Prog Rock can somehow be seemingly clearly defined I would have put such stuff as gloom era Cure and Joy Division into the mix. At the same time , while I admit happily that I quite enjoy much of their music, how the hell does Marillion get labelled as progressive ? Short answer they don't. They get labelled Prog Rock and therein methinks lies the rub.

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is." Douglas Adams.  Smile

Sorry if I'm babbling. Somehow what I've just typed isn't quite what I imagined it was going to be when I began and may not even be appropriate to the discussion.  Life's like that I guess, at least mine is.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 18:10
ahhh...  I like what you are saying Andrew.. I think we think are.. ummm.. in the same boat. With electronic charts even Thumbs Up.. just analog  LOLLOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 18:27
Smile

Oh good. I was somewhat worried it made no sense at all.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 18:29
Thumbs Up
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 18:37
Let's not forget the physical size of the band members, either...some of them are definitely getting bigger. LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 18:40
lets not forget the egos man... they grow with time as well!!

I'll never forget that episode at Nearfest when a certain.. ummm... legendary prog bassist completely blew off a young bassist from one of the other bands.  Made him feel like sh*twow man.. not cool.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 18:56
Yeah, even the Vanders were kind enough to talk to us weird folks at the concert at the embassy, ego is kinda awful when left unchecked.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 18:58
amen to that brother...
Bigseal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 07:27
My new agent Jon Patrick (Magenta, etc.) says there are more Prog gigs than ever so it should be getting bigger and better, Cheers, Davy
https://www.facebook.com/davy.olist
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 07:34
Based on recent pictures of Greg Lake, yes, prog is getting bigger.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 07:46
You really need to get over this obsession with Greg Lake's waistlineWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345