Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis-And Then There Were Three.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Your favourite track from ATTWT ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [23.53%]
3 [5.88%]
2 [3.92%]
1 [1.96%]
6 [11.76%]
8 [15.69%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.96%]
3 [5.88%]
10 [19.61%]
5 [9.80%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 10:12
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I am all for three, after all it's not their fault Gabriel left. After many vocalist auditions, Phil decided to be a singer instead of drummer., this is all good really. So far prog or not Genesis fans like the track "I can't dance" arghhhh it's two left feet awful to me and corny really I do not understand why this pop blues brothers version is liked by many it's stupid to me really arghh I do not like that track. bah xxxx

but Phil was singer and drummer

I Can't Dance was meant as a joke (just watch the video), why do people take the song so seriously, I dunno...
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 10:17
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I am all for three, after all it's not their fault Gabriel left. After many vocalist auditions, Phil decided to be a singer instead of drummer., this is all good really. So far prog or not Genesis fans like the track "I can't dance" arghhhh it's two left feet awful to me and corny really I do not understand why this pop blues brothers version is liked by many it's stupid to me really arghh I do not like that track. bah xxxx

but Phil was singer and drummer

I Can't Dance was meant as a joke (just watch the video), why do people take the song so seriously, I dunno...
Cristi, I for one never or hardly take things seriously infact this is why I love Paul McCartney he came up with the none serious lyrics all silly but to me they were the best. I actually love the frog song aka bom bom bom hurry up... silly I love but that I do not. It's a corny.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 10:25

Ah, Gabriel left long before "three" and really wasn't an issue at that point. No, "Phil" rather reluctantly took over the mike when a suitable enough replacement for Gabriel couldn't be found. If you've ever seen interviews with him around the time of A Trick of the Tail being released, he was a nervous sort who was clearly showing outward signs of feeling somewhat uneasy in his newfound role as frontman. And he never let anyone else touch the drums in the studio. Your mention of "'I can't dance'" here was out of place and just plain weird! Refreshing, though, was your exclusion of pointless, annoying Emoticons with this post. Thanks.

Edited by Rednight - May 28 2015 at 10:26
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 10:26
Bottom line for me: I can't dance is gawd awful, it's a desperate and very sad attempt trying to sound like a mix of Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-gYOrU8bA and the Blues Brothers Stern Smile The Blues Brothers (6/9) Movie CLIP - Everybody Needs Somebody to Love (1980) HD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHV0zs0kVGg xxxxxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 10:30
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Ah, Gabriel left long before "three" and really wasn't an issue at that point. No, "Phil" rather reluctantly took over the mike when a suitable enough replacement for Gabriel couldn't be found. If you've ever seen interviews with him around the time of A Trick of the Tail being released, he was a nervous sort who was clearly showing outward signs of feeling somewhat uneasy in his newfound role as frontman. And he never let anyone else touch the drums in the studio. Your mention of "'I can't dance'" here was out of place and just plain weird! Refreshing, though, was your exclusion of pointless, annoying Emoticons with this post. Thanks.
Rednight, you are very naughty, I can express my discontent about I can't dance as I please really Big smile awww I still would like to hog (hug) you tho' very tight LOLEmbarrassed
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 10:31
I can't dance... I can't dance... arghhhh ... kill me now!!!! lol Stern Smile

Edited by Kati - May 28 2015 at 10:31
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 10:37

... I still would like to hog (hug) you tho' very tight LOLEmbarrassed
[/QUOTE]
Anytime, baby. I'll pick you up at the airport. By the way, I can't dance.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 10:39

Rednight, you are very naughty, I can express my discontent about I can't dance as I please really Big smile awww I still would like to hog (hug) you tho' very tight LOLEmbarrassed
P.S. It's my prerogative to say what I have said plus I beg to differ to what you implied, I was and am within topic. Pinch I dedicate this to you Big smile
and to be honest no pun intended, this conversation reminded me of this track I love so much really LOL Queen - Liar (Official Video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU7rqB9E_0M
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 10:41

... I still would like to hog (hug) you tho' very tight LOLEmbarrassed

Anytime, baby. I'll pick you up at the airport. By the way, I can't dance.[/QUOTE]
HAHAHAHA ! mhwoaaahhxxx big more hugs to you, Rednight LOLHug
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 16:53
Burning Rope and then the Lady Lies for me. Always been one of my fave Genesis lps.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 17:33
I think why this album gets such a hard time is because it was the first sign that they were going in a new direction - shorter songs and the dreadful Follow You, Follow Me. At the time I thought it okay but the weakest album by miles with the exception of From Genesis To Revelation. It's certainly better than most their 80's output and with hindsight not a bad album really. 

Down and Out is stunning and gets my vote.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 23:01
This is the album when they began jettisoning prog, and is the turning point toward becoming the pop group powerhouse that put them in the HOF.

No wonder it's somewhat discomfiting.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 01:02
I love this album. Prefer it to Duke.

Down and Out gets my vote. I'm surrised Burning Rope hasn't got a few more votes.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
bluemax View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 04:22
Gotta go with Motherlode myself, but I don't actually think there's a bad song on here
< id="ezPreviewPO" border="0" scrolling="yes" style="width: 100%; height: 90%">
< id="ezPreview" border="0" scrolling="yes" style="width: 100%; height: 90%">
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 07:33
Undertow.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 12:05
Burning Rope
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 07:33

Actually Phil was both drummer and singer. (Wonder if he got two wage packets for that?)Smile

This drumming may be one of the reasons why the last inception of Genesis failed. The new guy had a totally different feel.

I Can't Dance is a pun. Roger Waters wrote to Phil Collins telling him he thought it sucked badly. But it was just a joke satirizing jeans commercials; just Genesis being light-hearted. Anyway they finished with a singer who initially found fame - singing in a jeans commercial. (Calling All Stations DVD interview).
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 21:44
This is a hard one for me. I did not come to really appreciate this album until just the past year or so. I pretty much ignored it at the time and thought no more of it until lately. It is a noticable step down in quality from the two excellent previous albums and the absence of Steve Hackett is very telling. Despite all that, I have come to appreciate most of the songs on the album to a great extent. Burning Rope, Deep in the Motherlode, Many Too Many and The Lady Lies would be my favorites. To narrow it down to a single song, I would have to say it is The Lady Lies by a hair. A very thin hair at that.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 14:37
The Lady Lies.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 22:53
I'm in the loathe Follow You Follow Me camp. Turned me off this album for some years but eventually I went back to it and its overall OK. Post the schism my favourite Genesis studio albums are Trick, Wind and Duke then Three. For mine it's still a damn sight more interesting than what follows Duke.

Tracks ? For me Snowbound and Many to Many stand out but I do like that kind of vaguely ethereal stuff.
An opinion not shared by many of you it appears, though why Down and Out should be a favourite is something I find a bit bewildering. 
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12