FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSomething Irritating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something Irritating
    Posted: May 29 2015 at 20:57
*grunts*, okay, this may sound overbearing, but i don't the like the decision he decided to make; copyright imho is so f**ked up and abused that......... i know it sounds stupid, but......GGGGRRRRR!!!!!!! god i hate the guys here.......you can make fun of me all you want here but.....and i understand why they're doing this; it's just going too far at this point. i guess every time they reunite that means THEM and ONLY them can play the music. it's stupid.

here's the link pointing to what the f**k i'm talking about:

Progrockdude
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 21:13
There's nothing stopping people playing King Crimson in a live setting, that's always been legal. Posting bootleg videos is copyright infringement whether or not you make money off it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 07:20
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

There's nothing stopping people playing King Crimson in a live setting, that's always been legal. Posting bootleg videos is copyright infringement whether or not you make money off it.

sooooo, does that include any REVIEWS of any release??
Progrockdude
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 07:38
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

I'm not a lawyer but I do have PhD from the university of Common Sense. 

Probably not.  But is it worth fighting once you receive one of those infamous cease and desist notices from Fripp's legal team.

Hardly...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 07:45
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'm not a lawyer but I do have PhD from the university of Common Sense. 

Probably not.  But is it worth fighting once you receive one of those infamous cease and desist notices from Fripp's legal team.

Hardly...

hmmmmmm, i think i got this feeling because of some other Youtubers that know of FALSE copyright claims and fight for it to change it all up. that's all. it's just that i don't want a quitter, you know?

UPDATE: oh, and also, i think i know why, but how are they "infamous" exactly?? (besides Grooveshark, YouTube and all other sh*t)

Edited by Michael678 - May 30 2015 at 07:50
Progrockdude
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 09:08

No, it would include bootlegs as stated, the reviewer decided to take the rest of the stuff down in protest. He sounds like a self important whiner to me to be honest. He spends about 5 minutes saying "thats it, no more".
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 09:46

No, it would include bootlegs as stated, the reviewer decided to take the rest of the stuff down in protest. He sounds like a self important whiner to me to be honest. He spends about 5 minutes saying "thats it, no more".

like i said in my previous comment!! ......sort of......
Progrockdude
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 09:46
1 - Who exactly is this guy?? And why do I care what he has to say?
2 - Most of what he's saying is obviously defensive of this own actions
3 - The rest is just "I'm not going to" statements meant to indicate he's somehow going to make an impact by boycotting DGM and King Crimson / Fripp
4 - All in all this is just a big boy tantrum without any real discussion on copy-write laws and enforcement

Edited by JD - May 30 2015 at 09:49
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 09:54
No KC review from Daren Lock?

No problem. I'll live.

I can't think of anything more irritating than this man's inane prog album viral reviews.

Edited by SteveG - May 30 2015 at 09:57
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 10:24
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No KC review from Daren Lock?

No problem. I'll live.

I can't think of anything more irritating than this man's inane prog album viral reviews.

I don't think I have ever listened to any of his prog reviews....and after seeing his whining about DGM I'll make sure I don't.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 10:42
Fripp's not heading some evil empire. He just wants to rightfully make the money on product he's toiled hard for since the late '60s. It's no secret of his disdain for big record companies who gave him a right shellacking while signed with them. DGM was his response to trying to put things right, and I don't blame him if bootlegs or their mention gets under his collar. Bootlegs as a whole are just plain bad business for the original artist.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 11:05
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Fripp's not heading some evil empire. He just wants to rightfully make the money on product he's toiled hard for since the late '60s. It's no secret of his disdain for big record companies who gave him a right shellacking while signed with them. DGM was his response to trying to put things right, and I don't blame him if bootlegs or their mention gets under his collar. Bootlegs as a whole are just plain bad business for the original artist.

ughhhhh, everything's about the money, isn't it? i get it i get it.....but still.....i still want to hear some King Crimson (the BIG ones anyway, which are the main point of copyright crap if that makes sense). i became a fan from listening on Youtube, and unfortunately it was almost the same exact time that this copyright sh*t got underway. was it because of this big reunion and playing these songs or something?? that part doesn't make sense.
Progrockdude
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 11:22
No it was nothing to do with the tour, Fripp has been fighting for control and earned recompense for Crimsons material for decades.

Not to be rude but how much KC do you own? If you want to hear some you could always buy some.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - May 30 2015 at 11:24
Ian

Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 12:55
Says he wants nothing to do with King Crimson anymore, reviews a 21st Century Schizoid Band a day after.

This guy is really something LOL
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 13:25

No it was nothing to do with the tour, Fripp has been fighting for control and earned recompense for Crimsons material for decades.

Not to be rude but how much KC do you own? If you want to hear some you could always buy some.

Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

Says he wants nothing to do with King Crimson anymore, reviews a 21st Century Schizoid Band a day after.

Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

1. yeah, i know, that was cool!!!

2. and also, no i do not except for a blank disc holding The Power to Believe (because it's the only album the library near where i live owns, unfortunately Cry). HOWEVER, i've been planning on getting at least one of their albums (ItCotCK because....well you know). I've been procrastinating in that sense, and to also avoid this kind of problem in the future. (btw, LTiA, Red, Discipline would follow suit) UPDATE: that question wasn't rude just to let you know. Smile

Edited by Michael678 - May 30 2015 at 13:26
Progrockdude
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 14:23
Those four would be a great starting point.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 16:11

Those four would be a great starting point.

i forgot to mention that i actually listened to those albums (and loved them of course), and that's because of them being on Youtube, another part of the reason why i'm not liking them NOT being on Youtube (you know, the original recordings, mainly ItC, LT, and Red). ggrrrrrrrr...
Progrockdude
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 16:25
Well if you listening to stuff repeatedly on youtube and not buying then you're part of the problem. The artists who are putting all the effort and expense in producing the music aren't seeing the return.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - May 30 2015 at 16:27
Ian

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 16:51
For Michael.......Smile
one of my favorite tracks by KC from the 2nd LP.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 18:09

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

ughhhhh, everything's about the money, isn't it? i get it i get it.....but still.....i still want to hear some King Crimson (the BIG ones anyway, which are the main point of copyright crap if that makes sense). i became a fan from listening on Youtube, and unfortunately it was almost the same exact time that this copyright sh*t got underway. was it because of this big reunion and playing these songs or something?? that part doesn't make sense.

That's an easy one. First of, yes it is about money. Fripp is one of those people who try to make a living as a professional musician, just like you do with your job. That's how our economy works...

Second, opinions differ (and change) on the way things like Youtube, streaming etc work. Indeed, Youtube can be a way to introduce new fans to your material, but at the same time people also have the opportunity to make money from publishing other peoples videos. In many countries (not all) copyright laws state that unless released by the artist to the public domain, a recording of an artist performing made and published without the artists consent is a copyright violation. Now, if you see someone making money from advertisements connected to a video (which is how Youtube works) in which you are performing your art, without your consent and without receiving any of the money, would you leave it on Youtube, or would you have it taken down Fripp chose the second - rather not get fans though Youtube than having someone else get away with the money he was entitled to.  Whether you are happy with that or not, that's your own call.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>