Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie Me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie Me
    Posted: August 18 2005 at 00:55
Hi folks.. First of all : This is a great site!... definately the best prog forum I've seen.

Now I will introduce myself.

My name is Chris Flynn and I the lead singer from the band "Art in America".. We released an  LP in 1983 produced by Eddy Offord (Yes, ELP) arrangement help from Steve Morse and T Lavitz played keys on that first record.. Sony/BMG re-released the the record for CD in 1996.. It is still around. We also have new music coming in 2006 with all the original members and keyboardist name G. Galloway.  Our band toured , and also opened for acts on tour such as : Bruford, Roxy Music, King Crimson, U2, Captain Beefheart, etc..

Anyway,  I am a big lover of prog ever since Court of the Crimson King and the first time a saw YES in Detroit...  A friend turned me on to Watchers of the Skies  back in the 70s  , and I've been hooked on Genesis and Gabriel ever since.

I have a very extensive LP collection of prog , fusion, classical and classic rock.  My favorite band of all time would still have to be Genesis, followed closely by Yes.. Beatles 4 and  Pink Floyd would probably be 5th.  New prog I love is:  Porcupine Tree and Ozric Tentacles.  Other newer bands I dig are Radiohead, THe Mars Volta, Spocks Beard (Octane and of course of of the earlier CDs) , Eisley  ( not prog but a great melodic band, with tons of un-tapped talent)....

Thanks all.. I'll be seeing you on these here boards.
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 01:04
Welcome, thats so cool that you opened for those acts and worked with Eddie Offord.  Good luck with your band, hope to hear something from you guys
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 03:53
 Great stuff! Welcome.
spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 04:51
have fun!  you must have some great stories to tell!
"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 05:08

Hi Chris and welcome,

I started a thread recently asking what happened to Eddie O after his days in 70's with Yes/ELP.

What was he like to work with? Do you know what he's been doing since early 80's?

Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Chris Flynn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 10:57
Thanks all.

Nutter Alert,  I'll reply to your post tonight. I'm currently at work.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 22:47
Hi Nutter.. Back again. Eddy still produces. He produced 2 records for the band 311 .I'm not sure what else.  It was great to work with him.  He is the opposite of a tyrant, and mainly just works on laying down the tracks.  He likes to record the band together all at once.   At then you scratch everything but the drums and re-build. He is very english and shy... by english I mean reserved.  He is a fast thinker and does not like to dilly dally on any given part... get it, and move on.

There were some Yes storys  and for Eddy's  privacy I don't think I'll repeat them.. Let's just say that at that time Eddy and YES were not speaking.

Our record was recorded in an old Atlanta movie theatre that he bought.. he took out the first 10 rows and that is where he put his board,most of his outboard effects and his analog 24 track.  (it was the same 24 track that he used when touring with YES... the same 24 track that recorded Tales of Topographic Oceans).  Guitar and Bass amps were placed all the way up in the room that the movie projector used to be in.. A room with no acoustic foam... but wood floors...  very "live" sounding room.. lots of echo...  You can really hear the sound of that projection room all over our record..

The management team we had at that time, was having difficulties getting the money or they were withholding it.. I don't know which,  and they were not getting it down to Eddy...  Let's just say that led to some delays... And I don't fault Eddy for it. Not sure if I can fault the management team either... It was just one of those things, and I am in the dark as to who was to blame.

I look very fondly upon working with Eddy, and if we could get the money together, we would record with him again in a heartbeat.

Eddy and his wife Valma did come to see an Art in America show at the Dragonfly in Los Angeles. They seemed to really enjoy it. Our parting words were of course, lets do it again. One can only dream..

Since those days, Art in America's music has matured and indeed is a bit proggier. If you feel like  it,  click on the Myspace link below and listen to the song "Targets." That is a sample of our newer material , as is the song " Shadows in the Corner".  dark stuff..

I'll post more about Eddy after I get together with the boys this weekend and try to remember some things.  See ya.

Edited by Chris Flynn
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 06:43

Thanks Chris, that's really interesting stuff. Its good to know that he's still out and about really. He just disappeared from the radar (well my radar anyway) after late 70s, and from what I read about his work with Yes/ELP during this time he was an important member of the team. 

Money problems seem to be the bane of many such projects. Sounds like you had a good experience with him though.

I've listened to the tracks on your site. Good stuff. , especially 'Shadows..' Get yourself out and about in the forums, sure you'll make an excellent contribution here.

Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 10:53
Thanks Nutter. I plan on spending time here. This appears to be the best of all the prog forums.
Zarquino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 16:06
Hi! I've been searching for more prog cause I like it and I found this page...i think its ok! :D

My introduction in prog came from Mike Oldfield and I still think he is god (his very first albums). I havent listened a lot of prog...only this groups : camel, mike oldfield, pink floyd, genesis, supertramp (¿?), Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, The tangent...and not a lot more. I'm already introduced in prog metal...I like Dream Theater a lot and in metal I listen every stile, nowdays im very in extreme, in black metal. My favourite groups are Stravaganzza (spanish strange metal group), Dream Theater and Mike Oldfield.

Im spanish, im 19 and m studying computer science at university...My hobbies are painting, rol, friends, games,books...and music, of course.

And well, I very newbie in prog...you'll have to teach me! Im a good student! Very Aplicated, jajajaja

Other music that I listen is some jazz and classical music, and some 70 rock like Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple.

Bye guys
There's nothing left to loose
 Post Reply Post Reply