Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPROGDAY 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 14:32
The Next Three Bands for PROGDAY 2015!

ProgDay is pleased to announce our next three bands for 2015:

QUANTUM FANTAY:

“A race around the world, a detour to the ancient East and a trip to deep outer space pretty much sums up spacerockers Quantum Fantay's approach perfectly! The band take ideas and themes similar to bands such as the Ozric Tentacles, Hidria Spacefolk and even a dash of Hawkwind, but add plenty of their own individuality…”
- Aussie-Byrd-Brother, PROGARCHIVES

The base of Belgium’s QUANTUM FANTAY was founded in 2002 when neighbors Pete Mush and Jaro began jamming in the attic, later joined by Gino Bartolini.  Since then the band has released 7 albums and has become known as one of the best space rock bands in the world.  US audiences were first introduced to the band’s live energy at NEARfest 2009.  ProgDay is pleased to give QUANTUM FANTAY’s US fans another chance to hear them as our closing band on Sunday.

MARBIN:
MARBIN began in 2007 as an improvised music duo consisting of Israeli guitarist Dani Rabin and Israeli saxophonist Danny Markovitch Slor.  After relocating to Chicago in 2008, the pair began working with Chicago musicians and developed a reputation for their playing and live energy.  With a do-it-yourself approach, MARBIN started massive touring in 2011 to take its music everywhere it could, playing over 300 shows a year.  After well over a thousand shows and numerous album releases, the band has established a fan base among fusion fans all over the US.  MARBIN will be featuring material from the new album to be released in late September.

PASCAL GUTMAN TRIO with RAMSÉS LUNA and KIKO KING:
PASCAL GUTMAN TRIO gathers together three great musicians from different geographical and musical origins, giving an original vibe to the band's creations. Merging jazz-rock, world music, ambient and experimental elements, PGT explores new musical territories with tremendous sensibility and energy.

PASCAL GUTMAN: Starting with piano at age 5 and later moving to the bass guitar at age 15 (which he continued to play for 20 years), Pascal discovered the Chapman Stick in 1981. He began to compose and play more and more on the Stick until it became his primary focus. Since then he has become known as one of the main proponents of the instrument in France and has released 4 recordings in various configurations, from solo performances to quintets. This trio is the most recent incarnation of Pascal's music.

RAMSÉS LUNA: ProgDay audiences may remember Ramsés Luna from his previous ProgDay performance as a member of CABEZAS DE CERA. He is also a founding member of LUZ DE RIADA and is part of the collective ESPACIAL MEXICANO.

KIKO KING: Kiko King is no stranger to ProgDay, having previously performed on the Storybook stage during his 5 year stint as the drummer of CAST. A Sabian endorsed artist since 2003, he released the album Stick Drum Duo with Pascal Gutman in 2012.

QUANTUM FANTAY (Belgium), MARBIN (Israel/US) and the PASCAL GUTMAN TRIO (France/Mexico) join TRYO (Chile), JACK O’ THE CLOCK (US), ECCENTRIC ORBIT (US) and UT GRET (US) at ProgDay, the longest running progressive rock festival in the world.  ProgDay 2015 will take place on Saturday, September 5th, and Sunday, September 6th, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  For more information, and to hear music from this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 14:39
Great choicesThumbs Up! Looking forward to it!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 15:57
Nice adds, looking forward to all of these though I own nothing by any of them. I'm guessing QF will light my candle.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 12:03
Quantum Fantay?  Didn't we see them at Nearfest 2009? 

hahaha.. not sure if it is a good sign.. I don't remember a damn thing about them.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 08:23
I'm talking to Damon Waitkus of Jack o' the Clock and on my radio program this week and the members of TRYO the next. Any questions you may have for them are welcome!

[email protected]

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 10:57
Hi everyone! Thought you might enjoy our chat with Damon Waitkus of Jack o' the Clock ...

https://www.mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/prog-rock-deep-cuts-85-damon-waitkus-of-jack-o-the-clock-joins-us/
www.progrockdeepcuts.com

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 15:59
cool Ian.. I'll check that out.

Great news for old timer attendees... Dan and his killer Citroen will be back in attendance after a year break (health issues). Will be great to see him and umm... now to decide who to cruise Chapel Hill with Saturday night. Dan or HT and his bitchin' Camero.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 11:26

THE MERCURY TREE at ProgDay 2015!

“‘Countenance’ doesn't really sound like anything else being made today, and that alone makes it remarkable. It doesn't hurt that the songwriting, arrangements, and performances are top notch too. Really, albums like this demonstrate how special music still can be. I'm often very critical of how mundane, repetitious, uninspired, and just plain useless most popular music is, and so bands like The Mercury Tree feel like a true breath of fresh air.”
- John Nicholson, PROGARCHIVES

“The fact is that there are not so many progressive rock bands on the current scene that actually understand the term progressive, and that offer music that is colourful and inventive. Portland based The Mercury Tree have been around for eight years and so far they produced three records. Their latest is titled “Countenance.” Long story short, this album is a masterpiece.”
- PROGARCHY

THE MERCURY TREE is a progressive rock trio from Portland, Oregon that began life as a solo project of Ben Spees (guitar, keyboards, vocals, loops). The project morphed into a full band by 2006, and released it’s first album in 2011.  Comparisons to King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta and Tool often come up when trying to describe the music’s eclectic mix of math-rock, post-rock, jazz, and metal.  The band’s third release, Countenance, has been applauded for its inventive and effortless blend of styles, resulting in an elegantly rich and original musical experience.  In addition to established material, the band will also be performing new tunes from the upcoming album scheduled to be released in the fall, 2015.

THE MERCURY TREE (US) joins QUANTUM FANTAY (Belgium), MARBIN (Israel/US), PASCAL GUTMAN TRIO (France/Mexico), TRYO (Chile), JACK O’ THE CLOCK (US), ECCENTRIC ORBIT (US) and UT GRET (US) at ProgDay, the longest running progressive rock festival in the world.  ProgDay 2015 will take place on Saturday, September 5th, and Sunday, September 6th, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  For more information, and to hear music from this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 21:21
Clap yeah for the Portland band..

sounds interesting.. even if touched by the evil hand of SWilson...
miciah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 09:44
PROGDAY Movie Screening - ROMANTIC WARRIORS III!

ProgDay is hosting a FREE showing of "Romantic Warriors III - Canterbury Tales" at the official ProgDay hotel, Comfort Inn University, 3508 Mount Moriah Rd., Durham, on Saturday night at 9:30pm.

ROMANTIC WARRIORS III - A Canterbury Tale
A Progressive Music Saga by Adele Schmidt and José Zegarra Holder
(USA/2015/118 Min.)

How did a small allegedly non-existent "scene" of a dozen musicians from the mid-sixties British town of Canterbury go on to change the musical path of their time? The emergence of the Canterbury Scene represents a remarkable period in the history of British progressive rock music, and notably, the development of Jazz Rock. Its three most timeless bands, Soft Machine, Caravan, and Gong, continue to inspire contemporary musicians all over the world.

"This is without doubt absolutely essential viewing for anyone interested in the Canterbury Scene, Progressive Rock or Jazz Rock."
- Roger Farbey/All About Jazz

"A practical guide for a vibrant and diverse scene that continues to evolve."
- Sid Smith/PROG Magazine

"Beautiful, deeply touching."
-Raffaella Berry, Progmistress

"Consistently compelling!"
-Bruce Gallanter, Downtown Music Gallery, NYC

ProgDay 2015 will take place on Saturday, September 5th, and Sunday, September 6th, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina featuring THE MERCURY TREE (US), QUANTUM FANTAY (Belgium), MARBIN (Israel/US), PASCAL GUTMAN TRIO (France/Mexico), TRYO (Chile), JACK O’ THE CLOCK (US), ECCENTRIC ORBIT (US) and UT GRET (US).  For more information, and to hear music from this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 16:00
oh yeah.. in case anyone missed it in a completely off topic thread.

Cheyenne Mize is due to be appearing with Ut Gret at Progday to lend her incredible vocal talents so wonderfully displayed on last years McRaff album of the year.. Ancestor's Tale

what was going to be amazing in the first place might now be the most anticipated show for me since ...

TKOTB LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 22:54
speaking of Progday..

other than the normal PA's crew..  me, Raff, Uncle Ian, Young Ian and his family, and HT.. anyone else here going or thinking of going?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 12:46
Hi friends,

For those of you who missed it, you can stream our interview with Mattias Olsson​ (which includes the world premiere of the new album, Show me Where it Hertz) and the ProgDay Special (hour 2) here!

https://www.mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/prog-rock-deep-cuts-90/

www.progrockdeepcuts.com

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 06:57
and it is off to Progday we go... see you all there!Thumbs Up
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:07
wow.. wow.. and wow.  Safely (in more than one sense of the word) back from Progday weekend.. 

Another amazing weekend of food, drink, music, and friends.

And yes..Ut Gret was f**king amazing..sold out every CD they brought

and yes..  while I did not sufficiently impress the group with my singing abilities to get invived on up on stage...I did fall in love with Cheyenne LOL I think she liked the big Mick as wellWink

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:13
No one can resist that hat LOL She's cute Embarrassed
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:18
cute?  honey ducks are cute..LOL she is mysterious, beautiful, and ohhh..so very talented. 

Oh .. a real sweetheart as well.  I videotaped their performance, as promised to Gustavo.. I'll have to see how well it turned out and upload it. They did most of Ancestor's Tale and even unveiled some new material. Fanstastic group. I had such sky high expectations.. and they exceeded all of them.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:26
I can't tell all that from a photo LOL

It sounds like you had a blast! I'll have to give that album an attentive listen Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 13:47
Embarrassed  take my word for it then LOL

definitely do give it some listens.  The terrible twosomes 2014 album of the year it was...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 14:07
I was tempted to buy a copy of it at the Prog festival I went to last May, but I ran out of money... It didn't take long Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>