FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSummer Madness: PA's Battle of the Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 05:13
last call... last call for votes in the modern polls.  Vote now while I get a cup of coffee and have my morning cigarette.  Will be closing polls shortly!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 05:23
and closed and recording votes.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 05:42
top half bracket Modern polls the winnners and runners-up!

poll#1
1) Hybris (1992) - Anglagard 2) The Viewing Point (2009) - The Future Kings Of England Smile

poll#2
1) The Human Equation (2004) - Ayreon 2) 4th (2008) - DFA

poll#3
1) The Raven that Refused to Sing (2013) - Steve Wilson 2) Viva Koenji (1997) - Koenji Hyakkei

poll#4  A TIE!!!
1) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988) - Iron Maiden 2) TIE between I A Moon (2011) - North Sea Radio Orchestra and Young Team (1996) - Mogwai

poll#5
1) Within the Realm of a Dying Sun (1987) - Dead Can Dance 2) One Armed Bandit (2010) - Jaga Jazzist

poll#6 ATIE!!!!!
1) Five Suns (2003) - Guapo 2) TIE between Random Avenger (2006) - Magyar Posse and L'axe du Fou (2009) - Forgas Band Phenomena

poll#7
1) The Masquerade Overture (1996) - Pendragon 2) s/t (1990) - UTotem

poll#8
1) Mirrored (2007) - Battles 2) In A Flesh Aquarium (2006) - UneXpect

poll#9 A TIE!!!!
1) Sleeping in Traffic Part 2 (2008) - Beardfish 2) TIE between Of Natural History (2004) - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Songs From Mirage (2009) - Aranis

poll#10
1) Night (2007) - Gazpacho 2) Crack the Skye (2009) - Mastodon

poll#11
1)SMPTe (2000) - Transatlantic 2) S.U.S.A.R. (2005) - Indukti

poll#12
1) ~ (2012) - iamthemorning

poll#!3
1) Mei (2002)- Echolyn 2) Disco Volante (1995) - Mr. Bungle

poll#14
1) Images & Words (1992) - Dream Theater 2) Part the Second (2009) - Maudlin of the Well

poll#15
1) 2) Quickly, Quickly, Quickly (2012) - The Tea Club

poll#16
1) Detta Har Hant (2009) - Gosta Berling Saga 2) Nothingface (1989) - Voivod

ties to be broken by a group of 3 collabs selected previously. Results to be announced after their deliberations are complete.  On to the next set of polls!!!!

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 06:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I was only able to vote on the first six polls Ouch
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 06:57
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I was only able to vote on the first six polls Ouch

make sure you 'post' your votes if they don't record .. if I don't know about them I can't count them. Clap

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 07:02
^ That's not what I meant: there were so much albums I didn't know, that I only had time to listen to the ones on the first six polls Ermm
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 07:13
ahhh...  I got it.  Ehhh...  just keep a chugging along. Seriously though.. who really cares about the modern results.. it is the classic contest we care about LOL. The important thing with the moderns is the voyage not the destination.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 07:53
In other words: it's supposed to be fun and adventurous.
Which it is! Smile

Whoa, who is flooding the poll section again with new polls? ShockedLOL
Glad I'm only hyperreactive to some pollen, not to polls Cool
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 09:04
Yeah, you're both right. I discovered lots of great music, even from sub-genres I don't usually listen Smile
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 10:05
I read in this tread something about Sanguine Hum. If you are interested to listen to the full album, you can hear it in the night from Saturday to Sunday 1:00 - 2:30 am UTC on my stream.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 10:15

Yeah, you're both right. I discovered lots of great music, even from sub-genres I don't usually listen Smile

yeah...  many of us. most of us know pretty much all or close to all of the classics and damnit.. you do get attached to them. Sentimental, nostalgia whatever. Obviously more people know more of them so the classic poll voting is far more interesting, and involved. 

With the modern however I sort of saw the results as secondary to the discovery of albums that people might have missed.  Funny..  for the completed classic polls I had always been keeping tabs on the results. I generally knew who I was voting for. With the moderns I rarely if ever really kept track of the results. I really only had 3 albums I had a real attachment to.. and it was obvious after the first day than none were going to advanceLOL  I pretty much just took the opportunity to explore. Btw good call on TFKoE. I remember your comment and along with Ian's hearty recommendation made me really curious and impatient to hear it. I saved that for last and loved it.  I broke the tie on that right before I closed the polls this morning.

so here is what the 2nd round is looking like. As noted earlier.. the 2nd place ties are being worked on by a team of 3 I asked to settle any ties.  I'll announce those when they settle those out.

2nd round matchups
Hybris (1992) - Anglagard v. 4th (2008) - DFA

The Human Equation (2004) - Ayreon v. The Viewing Point (2009) - The Future Kings Of England

The Raven that Refused to Sing (2013) - Steve Wilson v. TIE-BREAK winner between I A Moon (2011) - North Sea Radio Orchestra and Young Team (1996) - Mogwai

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988) - Iron Maiden v. Viva Koenji (1997) - Koenji Hyakkei

Within the Realm of a Dying Sun (1987) - Dead Can Dance v. TIE-BREAK winner between Random Avenger (2006) - Magyar Posse and L'axe du Fou (2009) - Forgas Band Phenomena

Five Suns (2003) - Guapo v. One Armed Bandit (2010) - Jaga Jazzist

The Masquerade Overture (1996) - Pendragon v. In A Flesh Aquarium (2006) - UneXpect

Mirrored (2007) - Battles v.  s/t (1990) - UTotem

Sleeping in Traffic Part 2 (2008) - Beardfish v. Crack the Skye (2009) - Mastodon

Night (2007) - Gazpacho v. TIE-BREAK winner between Of Natural History (2004) - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Songs From Mirage (2009) - Aranis

SMPTe (2000) - Transatlantic v. ~ (2012) - iamthemorning

Vemod (1993) - Anekdoten v. S.U.S.A.R. (2005) - Indukti

Mei (2002)- Echolyn v. Part the Second (2009) - Maudlin of the Well

Images & Words (1992) - Dream Theater v. Disco Volante (1995) - Mr. Bungle (HAHAHAH.. really? do I have to vote on that one LOLAngry)

Kid A (2000) - Radiohead v. Nothingface (1989) - Voivod

Detta Har Hant (2009) - Gosta Berling Saga v. Quickly, Quickly, Quickly (2012) - The Tea Club
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 10:38
so here is my tally...

4 of the new discoveries stood out..  hit me hard.. grabbed me immediately. Will be ordered or ordered already!
I A Moon - North Sea Radio Orchestra
Gusi-Lebedi  - Vezhlivy Otkaz
The Viewing Point - The Future Kings Of England
Songs for Insects - Thought Industry

some others that I really liked.. and will get if I see them (will definitely be having a list for Greg Walker and the other vendors at Progday Thumbs Up)

Hungers Teeth (1994) - 5UU's
SUSAR - Indukti
Talu - Phlox
One Armed Bandit - Jaga Jazzist
Young Team  - Mogwai

Edited by micky - June 27 2015 at 10:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 10:55

yeah...  many of us. most of us know pretty much all or close to all of the classics and damnit.. you do get attached to them. Sentimental, nostalgia whatever. Obviously more people know more of them so the classic poll voting is far more interesting, and involved. 

With the modern however I sort of saw the results as secondary to the discovery of albums that people might have missed.  Funny..  for the completed classic polls I had always been keeping tabs on the results. I generally knew who I was voting for. With the moderns I rarely if ever really kept track of the results. I really only had 3 albums I had a real attachment to.. and it was obvious after the first day than none were going to advanceLOL  I pretty much just took the opportunity to explore. Btw good call on TFKoE. I remember your comment and along with Ian's hearty recommendation made me really curious and impatient to hear it. I saved that for last and loved it.  I broke the tie on that right before I closed the polls this morning.
I think I'm impartial, since there are a lot of albums I don't know on both, and I don't feel nostalgia since I didn't know what was Prog five years ago LOL I'm always happy to discover gems that I didn't know though Smile
Yes, I really liked that album, it's also on my wish list as well. I'm glad it's going to advance Thumbs Up
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 11:17

I think I'm impartial, since there are a lot of albums I don't know on both, and I don't feel nostalgia since I didn't know what was Prog five years ago LOL I'm always happy to discover gems that I didn't know though Smile
Yes, I really liked that album, it's also on my wish list as well. I'm glad it's going to advance Thumbs Up

well just listen to what Uncle Mick suggests in the classics (I do wear my heart and preferences on my sleeve haha)  and you'll be alright CoolWink

My Uncle Ian hasn't done me wrong yet, I think all the ones he was strongly aligned with, were big hits with me. His tastes are still a more ...advanced.. than mine. I am still a meat and potatoes kind of listener.. but I'm trying...I'm trying really hard Ringo.. to expand my horizons a bit.

Edited by micky - June 27 2015 at 11:17
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 11:30
I'm guessing the NSRO/Mogwai tiebreaker doesn't really matter as they run into the buzz saw that is Steve Wilson
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 11:30
hahah.. I swear to God.  Genesis fans ... like a swarm of locusts..

ahh..  easy question.. which poll is Genesis related...  it wasn't even enough to vote..  they are keeping tabs on the results. Nearly twice the views as other polls. Tsk tsk...  does it really mean that much to you all LOL

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 11:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm guessing the NSRO/Mogwai tiebreaker doesn't really matter as they run into the buzz saw that is Steve Wilson

Angry  perhaps next round we will find hard evidence evidence of funny business perhaps of Steve Wilson using mult ID's here to vote for his albums.. and be able to DQ his album LOL
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 14:12
For those of you who are experiencing technical issues and found themselves unable to vote: log out, delete your cookies, then log on again. It worked for me when the same happened to me yesterday evening. When you delete cookies (or even your whole browsing history, as I do every week), you start with a clean slate. It's worth trying, as the issue itself was probably put into place to discourage trolls.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 14:51

so here is my tally...

4 of the new discoveries stood out..  hit me hard.. grabbed me immediately. Will be ordered or ordered already!
I A Moon - North Sea Radio Orchestra
Gusi-Lebedi  - Vezhlivy Otkaz
The Viewing Point - The Future Kings Of England
Songs for Insects - Thought Industry

some others that I really liked.. and will get if I see them (will definitely be having a list for Greg Walker and the other vendors at Progday Thumbs Up)

Hungers Teeth (1994) - 5UU's
SUSAR - Indukti
Talu - Phlox
One Armed Bandit - Jaga Jazzist
Young Team  - Mogwai

My favorites of the albums that were new to me:

D.F.A. - 4th
The Wrong Object - After The Exhibition
Haken - The Mountain

Some others sounded interesting too, like Phlox and Forgas Band Phenomena.

Great series of polls again for the 2nd classics polls, Micky!
For instance, I love the fact that you included Kew Rhone by John Greaves.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 15:27
thanks Marcel!  It was a lot of fun putting these together.

Kew Rhone is a recent discovery for me personally, since I came back to the site last year, so recent I still don't have a physical copy.. not yet at least. Someone (Pat?) had mentioned it as a favorite album in some discussion last year, so naturally it made me curious as I had never heard of it and I checked it out.  I was quite taken with it.  So taken it seems I am the only person to have voted for it, and one of the only two votes I've cast in the new polls to this point. Perhaps wasted.. but that album was NOT getting bageled! LOL

Edited by micky - June 27 2015 at 15:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>