Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConsider uniting subgenre teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 18:29
bah.... I could have rocked your world LOLLOLWink 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 18:31
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I suspect that might have proven rather difficult. Moving me is pretty much like moving a mountain, figuratively and allegorically speaking ;-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 18:37
ClapLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 20:15

that was the old AR team you f**ked with. LOL That was a team you didn't mess with, it was the '27 Yankees of genre teams.

We were quite the group of thugs, weren't we   LOL

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 20:43
Clapno sh*t man... none more than the babe of the group..  I remember I stepped on his toes once..after the split... and he didn't hesitate to draw down on me...ME.. of all people.. dear old dad. CryClap  Well he was always more of a momma's boy but I taught him well. Don't take sh*t from no one.. especially your elders. LOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 04:09
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

I suspect that might have proven rather difficult. Moving me is pretty much like moving a mountain, figuratively and allegorically speaking ;-)

And you'd have had to face Raff's wrath (<< easier written than said LOL ) for tresspassing inside her private property

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 05:32
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

And you'd have had to face Raff's wrath (<< easier written than said LOL ) for tresspassing inside her private property

Now, confronting me with anger would have been a really bad idea. I don't fire up all that often myself, but when I do explode once in every 4 years or thereabouts the end result tends to be fairly loud and, to put it that way, noteworthy ;-)
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
mogol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 02:23
There is another minor problem with current addition system. Teams usually don't start evaluating unless the possible subgenre is specified. However, nowadays there seems to be more hard-to-define bands than strictly fitting to a certain subgenre. Mistakes or misinterpretations by persons who suggest new artists lead to redundant evaluations by wrong teams even if it's a case of 'easy to define.' Such cases would be impossible if there is one team.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 17:23
^  That's not a problem at all, really. It's easy enough for the one team to vote move to another team.

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 22:49
Originally posted by mogol mogol wrote:

There is another minor problem with current addition system. Teams usually don't start evaluating unless the possible subgenre is specified. However, nowadays there seems to be more hard-to-define bands than strictly fitting to a certain subgenre. Mistakes or misinterpretations by persons who suggest new artists lead to redundant evaluations by wrong teams even if it's a case of 'easy to define.' Such cases would be impossible if there is one team.
That's not a problem at all as Man With Hat already explained to you.
However, in my opinion, there is the real problem with assumed "one team". With that "one team", it can only make conditions for the terribly situation; thus, some of very influential five-stars collaborators, who have long since left the teams and that some of their earlier posts & actions proved that they actually hate the contemporary progressive rock in general, to control the entire process of addition. The "goal" of such a policy would be to convert the Prog Archives (which is actually a non-stop process of adding new bands and following the new trends in prog in general) into dusty "Prog Museum".

Edited by Svetonio - July 01 2015 at 06:30
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 23:20
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 00:27

mogol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 04:47
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

^  That's not a problem at all, really. It's easy enough for the one team to vote move to another team.

Surely, it's easy, but it takes additional time and effort of one team, then another and mayby another more. 

However, by 'problem' I meant that the evaluation doesn't start until the artist is addressed to a certain team. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 06:27

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Surely, it's easy, but it takes additional time and effort of one team, then another and mayby another more. 

However, by 'problem' I meant that the evaluation doesn't start until the artist is addressed to a certain team. 
That's the reason for pre-eval Team to be back. That New Bands & Suggestions Team was very important but sadly dismissed without any logical reason.
The "gate keepers" sent the suggestions in 90% of the cases in the right Team.

Edited by Svetonio - July 01 2015 at 06:28
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 07:34
Either you have a very spotty memory or else you just overlook/misunderstand everything pertaining to how this site functions.
The gatekeepers never closed down the new suggestions team - you did. Everyone on that team, including myself, got tired of doing nothing but evaluating your endless tirade of suggestions that in the end wound up clogging the teams. It was not a fun gig. People resigned from the team on their own accord. No secret behind-the-scenes cloak and dagger stuff that you continuously emply.
.....oh and the way you so condescendingly speak about the hard working collabs of PA is downright disrespectful, and I completely understand why folks distance themselves from you. You've made your own bed - now lie in it.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 01 2015 at 07:35
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 07:37
Clap
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 11:27
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

(...)
The gatekeepers never closed down the new suggestions team - you did. (...)
You're forgetting that the guys from that former New Suggestions Team were called friendly by all of us as "the gatekeepers" aswell.
Nothing was wrong with that "nick-name" for them. They stood at "the gate", rejected immediately the bands with the music that weren't PA material, and let pass the suggestions that were good enough for the PA. And, as I said, in ninety percent of the cases, they were placed the suggestons in the right place, i.e. in the right Team for eval. Dissolution of New Suggestions Team was actually a big mistake that still causes THE damage to PA and it was, sadly, happened while you was an Admin. And, consenquently, that's a huge nonsense what you said that I "closed  down" that New Suggestions Team Wacko 
Yea, I suggested a lot of stuff, but it seems that you forgot your applauses to many of my suggestions before you get an admin rank in September 2013.  Of course that I, as a long-term suggester (ex-suggester now) aswell, which gave a hundreds of suggestions for this site, I had my bad suggestions, but also I had a many of very good ones, even excellent suggestions. And you know it very well.
Actually, all of this you already know and it is not necessary to re-elaborate, and, after all, this topic is not topic about me, as this shameful topic actually was, regarding my suggestions at "Suggest New Bands & Artists" sub-forum and Bandcamp recommendations what I was posting, and what was deemed by some of PA' big shots as something that was nothing less than deadly Sin at that time; and really, that thread is still to be a big shame of "nice people" who were "distanced from me", as you said aswell, but somehow you're forgetting that I never even tried to be something like "close to them", that they needed to be "distanced" from me, lol.

p.s. I hope you don't mind 'cause I posted that  link; actually, I posted that  link because it can be very instructive for the newbies Wink

Edited by Svetonio - July 02 2015 at 13:13
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 13:24
Uhh you got me there eh Svetty
Instead of focusing on the real problem, you take a small bit of what I wrote and decipher it in a way that makes you look good....or better.
You're not fooling anyone though. I guess I could just repost my initial post again seeing as you yet again neglect to concern yourself with the real part of the problem.
Yes the suggestions team worked well for a short period, but due to your incessant waves of suggestions, people got fed up with the job and resigned. They did not want to do it.
You may have made some good suggestions out of the thousands you did, sure, congratulations. In the process you also managed to ruin the better part of the PA teams. Folks simply stopped caring and wound up quitting altogether from the teams - as they did nothing but work on what you left at their doorstep.
The thread you link to is not at all shameful as it adressed these issues while you were at your 'peak' - meaning you made at least a suggestion or two a day.
Anyway I'm done with this - you're free to throw the martyr card as you always do.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 13:45
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

(...)

You may have made some good suggestions out of the thousands you did, sure, congratulations. (...)
Uhh you got me there eh Guldb LOL
That good old insinuation that "only few" Svetty suggestions were accepted, eh? LOLLOLLOLLOL

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 01:28

Some time ago I suggested more revolutionary idea - to let any user add artists with simultaneous implementation of album tags system. Tags assigned by people who listen to those albums would take care of who’s prog and who’s not, as well as of genres. The main obstacle as I understood was impossibility of deleting artists, and my suggestion could lead to a lot of false additions. Without facilities to eliminate the additions that proved to be not prog-related, that idea was senseless. 

We did that around 2005, and it was a chaos.

M@X had to delete a lot of bands that were added because a  member was a fanboy.

They even added bands that didn't existed Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456