Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConsider uniting subgenre teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 19:23
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Smile  You raised good discussion points Olav but I'll leave that alone. Not here at least, not in the general forum.

Totally understand. Which is why I was vague in the first place. They are points that needs to be taken into this kind of discussion, but the details of them should by preference be internal. Noone have ever made the world a better place by providing scapegoats, to put it that way, and when the system fails it is due to the system being faulty, and not due to the individuals trying to get it to work.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 19:34
that goes back to what I was talking about before.

Is there a problem to be fixed?... ehhh.. I'm not so sure. No system is perfect.
Can the system be improved? Goddamn right it can! 
Is it possible for the site to implement change? Of course it can, I've done it.

You have to make a good case and take it to the one person who can implement change and cut through the bullsh*t. It is his site, we are just caretakers.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 23:40

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

As a said earlier, the only way to solve the problem is (imo) to multiply the Teams.

not to be overly dismissive... but I can say...

fantasy land man...  ignoring the reality of the situation.

people deemed suitable are still actively recruited...  there are not enough people to expand teams. They are consolidating them for lack of potential collabs of suitable knowledge, temperment, or most importantly.. the desire to work for the site. It is real work, no pay, no thanks, no nothing other than for pride of doing the best one can with a difficult job.  I didn't start enjoying the forum for what it was till I retired. 

Sorry Mickie, but nobody with two grams of the brain stuff will honestly accept that ad hoc written little fairy tail that from the whole PA' Army of the senior members, among which there are still living witnesses, lol, from the seventies, that you can't recruit a five members for assumed Crossover Team # 2 (I took that section as one of the most loaded with a new material).
As I already said in this thread, those assumed new Team(s) in the same section must be full autonomous in relation to the already existed Team. However, If there is any doubt remains regarding the competence of new team, in any case, there is anyway still an obvious need to introduce a new pre-eval Team (which actually was dismissed by very big mistake) that, among the other things, would have the task to switch those "easy cases" to supposed new Team, and those "borderline cases" to leave for that already existed and supposedly more experienced Team.
By the way, I do not offer myself for collaborator, it must be known, and I think that the famous reason for that is well know for all who regularly read the PA Forum LOL
Just my two cents.

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 00:35
No fairytales there Svetonio. Even in the heydays of this site, when the forums buzzed with more activity than today, collabs were hard to find. Even if the admins tried to do a Peter.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 01:37
I would point out that the teams work together and communicate very well when a consultation or secondary evaluation is required.   Territorial maybe; Cooperative definitely.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 01:52
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

No fairytales there Svetonio. Even in the heydays of this site, when the forums buzzed with more activity than today, collabs were hard to find. Even if the admins tried to do a Peter.
Has anyone ever before me, just mentioned multiplied teams of the same section, that to work on the new suggestions, and yet in the way that I already explained? I'm quite sure that such a thing never was a proposal at these pages.
If once (which is quite impossible, I know, but we discuss anyway) the big shots of PA will decide to make those assumed mulitiplied Teams, you'll easily find the members for those teams. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 07:19
Seeing how much discussion we have within the team we have I'd see an overall vetting team being even more contentious. A lot of this pokes around at the edges of genre definitions and we'd just get it even more 'what is prog?' discussions. I say leave it alone, it ain't broke.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 07:52

Has anyone ever before me, just mentioned multiplied teams of the same section, that to work on the new suggestions, and yet in the way that I already explained? I'm quite sure that such a thing never was a proposal at these pages.
If once (which is quite impossible, I know, but we discuss anyway) the big shots of PA will decide to make those assumed mulitiplied Teams, you'll easily find the members for those teams. 

So, I've kept relatively quiet on this subject as it's mostly a moot point.  I really don't see a lot of change coming from this.  

I would ask this, Svetonio, who are the five members that you'd recommend for your proposed second Crossover Team.  I don't say this to be glib or combative, I'm just curious as to who you'd nominate so I can check them out and add them to my own list of potential candidates. 

To consider someone for a team, I'd want at least two years on the forum with at least a thousand posts.  I'd like someone with a decent understanding of prog as we define the genres, a history of being tolerant of other people's opinions and finally the ability to write eloquently.  I would love a few good names to check out.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 08:23
Nice post TomBeer
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 08:54

Even if the admins tried to do a Peter.

I'm sorry, Olav, but that's waaaaaaaay too much information.  Wink
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 09:23
Heh, and here I though that expression was one only a few with a very select background knew about ;-)
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 14:39

Sorry Mickie, but nobody with two grams of the brain stuff will honestly....

big snip....

remind me... just how many genre teams have you been on...how many bands have you evaluated and added, and how much time have you spent in the collab zone..

that is why you are not a collab.. I tried to put you forward fwiw.. and was told in no uncertain terms you didn't have the temperment for it.  Confidence is one thing.. inability to listen or work with others is another. Hey, I wrong.. and they were right. Clap

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 14:49
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

I would love a few good names to check out.

1)  micky!!  LOLLOL  you know you'd love me on your team Thumbs Up  I'd provide a neverending supply of booze and floozies...
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 14:56

I would love a few good names to check out.

1)  micky!!  LOLLOL  you know you'd love me on your team Thumbs Up  I'd provide a neverending supply of booze and floozies...

Ok, bring on the Floozies says I . . . You do realize there's an empty spot on Crossover that you could probably have with a word to the proper admin.  If memory serves me, you have a bit of a history with Crossover.

And if I get an open slot on Neo, you know I'm coming straight to you!   Big smile

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 15:08
It is tempting... but I wasn't bullsh*ting that Svetonio guy.  It is real work, I've earned my retirement pay and benefits damnit LOL  My enjoyment of the site has increased exponentially since I relaxed and just stop worrying about this. I have purposefully stayed away from the teams, and from most overall site issues. As I was telling someone privately via PM on this particular issue. I didn't intend for this.. this thread to become what it has.. I offered my thoughts to the OP. Then Hugues jumped in.. then others and it sort of took off.

I did my part,  now it is time to enjoy retirement and for those that followed the 1st gen. team members to leave their mark.  I know myself well.. I can be a bit... overbearing.  Passion is something that appears to be missing today in the site. and something I do have and bring.. but that can be a double-edged sword.  Passion gets things done, but it also leaves tiretracks on people's backs who stand in the way of getting things done.  I'm done with that.

Edited by micky - June 24 2015 at 15:09
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 15:17

I would ask this, Svetonio, who are the five members that you'd recommend for your proposed second Crossover Team.  I don't say this to be glib or combative, I'm just curious as to who you'd nominate so I can check them out and add them to my own list of potential candidates. 

To consider someone for a team, I'd want at least two years on the forum with at least a thousand posts.  I'd like someone with a decent understanding of prog as we define the genres, a history of being tolerant of other people's opinions and finally the ability to write eloquently.  I would love a few good names to check out.
Probably five of his personas LOL

Thanks to your comment I noticed it's my second anniversary on this site tomorrow, I can finally join a team... oh wait Tongue
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 15:23
^ you got on with a great team. Next to our legendary parties with Art Rock and the Italian sub-genres ... Uwe's teams always were known to have the 2nd best parties. Thumbs Up You havent really lived in genre team work till you've seen Uwe running around drunk off his ass with his underwear pulled over his head. LOL He should have been an Art Rock teamer...  though I bet he doesn't look half as good in heels and a skirt as I do.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 15:25
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Probably five of his personas LOL

Thanks to your comment I noticed it's my second anniversary on this site tomorrow, I can finally join a team... oh wait Tongue

Tongue

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 15:29

It is tempting... but I wasn't bullsh*ting that Svetonio guy.  It is real work, I've earned my retirement pay and benefits damnit LOL  My enjoyment of the site has increased exponentially since I relaxed and just stop worrying about this. I have purposefully stayed away from the teams, and from most overall site issues. As I was telling someone privately via PM on this particular issue. I didn't intend for this.. this thread to become what it has.. I offered my thoughts to the OP. Then Hugues jumped in.. then others and it sort of took off.

I did my part,  now it is time to enjoy retirement and for those that followed the 1st gen. team members to leave their mark.  I know myself well.. I can be a bit... overbearing.  Passion is something that appears to be missing today in the site. and something I do have and bring.. but that can be a double-edged sword.  Passion gets things done, but it also leaves tiretracks on people's backs who stand in the way of getting things done.  I'm done with that.

Work . . . pfft, I don't know what you're talking about.

Actually, you (Micky) will find this particularily amusing.  A particular artist, who shall remain nameless, was entered to the site a few years back.  There were two or three e-mails back and forth detailing how his music wasn't considered Neo in his opinion.  He was rather put off that he was voted in as Neo . . . and he let me know that in no uncertain terms.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2015 at 15:33
hhahaha..  Funny... because that is not the first time that has happened. I remember the same thing happening back the classic days..at least once, perhaps even more than that.  I remember hearing someone did have a sh*t fit at being put in Neo.  I wasn't part of the team, don't remember who it was, but I sure heard about it.. and laughed plenty out loud about it. Thumbs Up  I offered to take them in ISP instead just on principal. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>