Topic Closed2015 Picks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 13:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

LOL I guess this thread is working exactly like it should. I too have dished out some dough because of it, that's for damn sure!
Just to be completely obnoxious, I'd very much like to add one more to the mix. The new Brian Ellis Group 'Escondido Sessions' should be right up your alley too. If you dig wild unhinged fusion with a mad sax at it's core, you'll definitely enjoy what it has to offer. Brian Ellis is mostly known for his work with Astra, but he is currently dabbling around with his saxophone doing this sweet take on what The Soft Machine would've sounded like if they had been a Krautrock band. 2013s Psicomagia debut along with this little gem is surely testimony to that. 

Thumbs Up

Yeah, I'm all over that wild unhinged fusion! Escondido Sessions was already ordered because I dug Psicomagia so much last year - so ya didn't cost me this time. It's actually hard to go wrong with anything on El Paraiso, it seems.

Now what can I retaliate with...
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 13:46
Something different...Tierra Quemada, the new album from Ángel Ontalva (the October Equus guitarist / composer) is one I've got very much into recently:

You could assemble a good version of October Equus from a subset of the eight players here, but with the larger instrumental palette (hooray for cello, duduk and hurdy gurdy!) and a slew of ethnic influences thrown into the mix it's quite a distinct project. Sort of in a "cinematic RIO" vein, the music often feels more spacious than OE, almost ambient in places...

I think it's one of Ángel's best recordings, which is quite high praise from me as I'm a big fan.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 02 2015 at 13:51
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 13:56
Thanks for the heads-up! I had no idea Angel had released a new album. His name is a guarantee of quality!
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 14:04
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up! I had no idea Angel had released a new album. His name is a guarantee of quality!
My pleasure! I don't think you'll be disappointed if you hear it. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 15:58
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Something different...Tierra Quemada, the new album from Ángel Ontalva (the October Equus guitarist / composer) is one I've got very much into recently:

You could assemble a good version of October Equus from a subset of the eight players here, but with the larger instrumental palette (hooray for cello, duduk and hurdy gurdy!) and a slew of ethnic influences thrown into the mix it's quite a distinct project. Sort of in a "cinematic RIO" vein, the music often feels more spacious than OE, almost ambient in places...

I think it's one of Ángel's best recordings, which is quite high praise from me as I'm a big fan.

Will investigate, I love his stuff.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 02:31

LOL I guess this thread is working exactly like it should. I too have dished out some dough because of it, that's for damn sure!
Just to be completely obnoxious, I'd very much like to add one more to the mix. The new Brian Ellis Group 'Escondido Sessions' should be right up your alley too. If you dig wild unhinged fusion with a mad sax at it's core, you'll definitely enjoy what it has to offer. Brian Ellis is mostly known for his work with Astra, but he is currently dabbling around with his saxophone doing this sweet take on what The Soft Machine would've sounded like if they had been a Krautrock band. 2013s Psicomagia debut along with this little gem is surely testimony to that. 

Thumbs Up

Yeah, I'm all over that wild unhinged fusion! Escondido Sessions was already ordered because I dug Psicomagia so much last year - so ya didn't cost me this time. It's actually hard to go wrong with anything on El Paraiso, it seems.

Shocked Another El Paraiso connoisseur on PA? Well shiver me timbers! I have and enjoy (small understatement) most of their releases. Been following them ever since Papir got signed with them. I've known the guys from Papir since high school, and they continuously recommended me to go check out Causa Sui. From there on I started listening to Jakob Skøtt, Jonas Munk (his Pan album from 2012 is possibly my favourite El Paraiso release yet) and all the different Brian Ellis projects. Haven't looked back tbh.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 03 2015 at 02:33
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 02:37

I actually saw the cover art on PAs frontpage here the other day thinking it had a kind of 'Samla Mammas Manna Måltid' thing going for itLOL
I'm listening as I type and I am genuinely digging what I'm hearing. Something like ambient RIO vibes coupled together with rumba rhythms and this almost effervescent take on fusion. Laid back but still quirky and comfortably sneaky to draw in one's imagination.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 03 2015 at 03:52
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 03:39
Oh deary me...this is getting out of handLOL 
It continues to grow:

My list has grown bigger too. 

Blanck Mass - Dumb Flesh
Viet Cong - s/t
Kamasi Washington - The Epic
Four Tet - Morning / Evening
The Orb - Moonbuilding 2703 AD
Algiers - s/t
Todd Rundgren, Emil Nikolaisen and Lindstrøm - Runddans
Pond - Man it feels like Space again*
Turzi - C*
Jaga Jazzist - Starfire*
Heroin in Tahiti - Sun & Violence
Föllakzoid - lll*
Death Grips - Fashion Week
Tame Impala - Currents
Panda Bear - Panda Bear meets the Grim Reaper
Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase.*
The Amazing - Picture You*
Agusa - 2*

+

Dungen - Allas Sak*
elephant9 - Silver Mountain*
Brian Ellis Group - Escondido Sessions*
Dreadnought - Bridging Realms*
Guapo - Obscure Knowledge*
Brainticket - Past, Present & Future*
Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

*albums on PA

2015 is shaping out to become one heck of a year for music...and I am still waiting for Zombi and Steve Moore's new thangBig smile

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 04:01

Thumbs Up

Shocked Another El Paraiso connoisseur on PA? Well shiver me timbers! I have and enjoy (small understatement) most of their releases. Been following them ever since Papir got signed with them. I've known the guys from Papir since high school, and they continuously recommended me to go check out Causa Sui. From there on I started listening to Jakob Skøtt, Jonas Munk (his Pan album from 2012 is possibly my favourite El Paraiso release yet) and all the different Brian Ellis projects. Haven't looked back tbh.

Papir is awesome. You must have seen them play loads of times, a band I would love to catch if they were in thee UK. So jealous.

I got into Causa Sui at the time of Summer Sessions (still some of my favourite stuff of theirs, they should play with Johan Riedenlow again) and followed El Paraiso from there.

Pan is killer. I still need to check out the Jakob Skott stuff.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 04:09

Thumbs Up

Papir is awesome. You must have seen them play loads of times, a band I would love to catch if they were in thee UK. So jealous.

I got into Causa Sui at the time of Summer Sessions (still some of my favourite stuff of theirs, they should play with Johan Riedenlow again) and followed El Paraiso from there.

Pan is killer. I still need to check out the Jakob Skott stuff.

I think I prefer Causa Sui live to their studio albums, although the newest Pewt'r Sessions shows signs of a more experimental vibe creeping in. It'd be cool to see what they could make of it on future releases.

Jakob Skøtt's solo output is, like Munk solo, very much relying on that underlying electronic sound. With Skøtt though it is more angular and noisy. Kinda like a collab between TD and Heldon yet with a sound that is completely it's own.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 03 2015 at 04:09

- Douglas Adams
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 16:21
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

^ I can confirm that Algiers is pretty damn good.

Wooo!

Side note kinda:
Your review of the new Toe was awesome to read, man. Giving it a 5* pretty much made me have to get it now. 

Thanks man, hope you enjoy Hear You.

Me, too! Your review had me put it on the top of my "get list" and now that I have it I'm loving it! Feels like the rest of the band has really caught up to uber-drummer Kashikura Takashi. (not that I didn't LOVE For Long Tomorrow). Thanks!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 16:38
A few recent releases I found worthy of attention:

Thieves' Kitchen - The Clockwork Universe
Advent - Silent Sentinel
Rêve Général - Howl
Loomings - Everyday Mythology
Breznev Fun Club - Il Misantropo Felice
Zen Land - s/t
Galactic Cowboy Orchestra - Earth Lift

Not crazy about the new Echolyn, though it has been growing on me after repeated listens - as has the new Anekdoten, which at first didn't impress me too much.

LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 16:53
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

^ I can confirm that Algiers is pretty damn good.

Wooo!

Side note kinda:
Your review of the new Toe was awesome to read, man. Giving it a 5* pretty much made me have to get it now. 

Thanks man, hope you enjoy Hear You.

Me, too! Your review had me put it on the top of my "get list" and now that I have it I'm loving it! Feels like the rest of the band has really caught up to uber-drummer Kashikura Takashi. (not that I didn't LOVE For Long Tomorrow). Thanks!

You're welcome, Drew, glad you enjoyed it.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 17:09
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Anybody else out there thinking that overall this is actually a surprisingly bad year for prog music, so far?

But then, the bulk of releases will start coming in September . . . .

(This is funny: Quoting myself) Okay, so I was a bit premature. I now think '15 has been an amazing year for prog--maybe even better than '11 or 72/73.

Revised Top 10 (Kind of in order according to my personal favorites):

LA COSCIENZA DI ZENO La notte anche de giorno

CICCADA The Finest of Miracles 

METHEXISuiciety 

THE PSYCHEDELIC ENSEMBLE The Sunstone

LEPROUS The Congregation

ANEKDOTEN Until the Ghosts Have All Gone 

BATTLESTATIONS The Extent of Damage

STEVEN WILSON Hand. Cannot. Erase.

3RDEGREE Ones & Zeros: Vol. 1

VOLA Inmazes 
NEMO Coma

DUNGEN Allas Sak

JAGA JAZZIST Starfire

KLONE Here Comes the Sun

THIEVES' KITCHEN The Clockwork Universe

THE AMAZING Picture You 

MAGMA Sl*g Tanz

CORVUS STONE Unscrewed

TOE Hear You

ABSTRAKT Limbosis

OZRIC TENTACLES Technicians of the Sacred

ADVENT The Silent Sentinel

SYLVAN Home 

UNREAL CITY Il Paese Del Tramonto

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:40
LOVE

Algiers – s/t: Debut album for this Neo-soul/post-punk band. Sounds like a weird combination but it’s something you just have to hear for yourself. 

Sample: Claudette

* The Dear Hunter – Act IV: Birth and Reprise: First entry to the acts series in 6 years.  After releasing his symphony this past year, Casey seems unafraid to embrace the full orchestral gambit.  Ambitious crossover prog / indie rock / chamber pop with early 20th century vibes.

Sample: Night on the Town

* Jaga Jazzist – Starfire: Vibrant and colorful electro-nu-jazz with a very urban/trippy sort of feel. Overall lots of craziness and fun.  Definitely more electronic than their previous album, One-armed Bandit

Sample: Oban (live session)

Son Lux – Bones: Experimental electronic / trip-hop accompanied by brittle vocals and swaths of synth-driven cacophony. Definitely brighter and more tooled for a live setting than previous albums, though not as strong as Lanterns or We are Rising.

Sample: White lies

Viet Cong – s/t: Moody & somewhat noisy post-punk with heavy 80s aesthetic.  Very fun and powerful music that just makes you want to grab a guitar or pair of sticks and jam out. Bonus: My girlfriend says the singer sounds like a vampire, for whatever that’s worth.

Sample: Continental Shelf

GREAT

2814 -新しい日の誕生 – This is what I always wanted from vaporwave

* Beardfish -- +4626-Comfortzone –Zappa/King Crimson inspired retro-prog with jam band elements, fortunately have brought some of the playfulness back from the early era

Carpenter Brut – Trilogy – Strongest synthwave/outrun effort this year.  Think 80’s action/horror movie chase music.

Chelsea Wolfe – Abyss – Crunchy, heavy, slow, and aptly abysmal darkwave

Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Asunder Sweet and Other Distress – Apocalyptic post-rock progenitors return, unfortunately nowhere near as good as their 2012 comeback release. Their first track is great, drone-y, and reminiscent of Earth, but the central sound collage tracks fall flat.

Kamasi Washington – The Epic – Spiritual Jazz / neo-soul, huge bombastic pieces

Natural Snow Buildings – Terror’s Horns –Somewhat creepy droney atmospheric avant-folk

Tigran Hamasyan – Mockroot – Avant-garde Armenian folk jazz with heavy progressive tendencies

* Turzi – C – space / krautrock with operatic vocals (more spacey, less kraut than previous releases A, B)

William D. Drake – Revere Reach – Ex-keyboardist from Cardiacs; jaunty whimsical pastoral prog

GOOD

Big Blood – Double Days II --  Ambient avant-folk

The Decemberists – What a Terrible World What a Beautiful World – folk-pop

Komara – Komara – Dark avant jazz/metal

Odawas – Black Harmony –  Synth-laden atmospheric amorphous folky Americana stuff. Not as strong as last year’s Relfections of a Pink Laser.

Sannhet – Revisionist – Instrumental post-metal

Thundercat – The Beyond / Where Giants Roam  -- Nu-jazz / neo-soul

Timbre – Sun and Moon – A lady sings and plays harp.  Results are quite beautiful.

Umberto – Law Unit – Horror Synth

* -- probably included on this site

Still looking forward to getting my hands on the new Guapo and Elephant9 albums

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:42
Good call on the William D. Drake albumClap! Truly a superb release, one of this year's best without any doubt.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:56

Good call on the William D. Drake albumClap! Truly a superb release, one of this year's best without any doubt.

Thanks Raff!  I'm definitely digging it but I don't know that it has had enough time to make an impression on me as my personal favorite of his, The Rising of the Lights. Have you had a chance to check it out?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:57
Yes, all of his albums are on Bandcamp, so I was able to listen to most of them. The Rising is also great, but this latest one impressed me even more.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 15:19
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Thanks Raff!  I'm definitely digging it but I don't know that it has had enough time to make an impression on me as my personal favorite of his, The Rising of the Lights. Have you had a chance to check it out?

I tend to agree that The Rising Of The Light is my personal favorite by him.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 16:17
I didn't expect to like the new Deafheaven but I did.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>