FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2015 Picks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 20>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 05:15
^ Cool! Cool I don't have it but the label has another album I'd like to have, Mechanik's latest album, so I'll probably grab both. Speaking of Psych music, I'm waiting for Astral Son's new album on vinyl. Do you know it?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 05:34
Never heard of Astral Son before, but it seems like the latter part of 2015 is shaping out wonderfully at least from a psych fan's pov. Definitely also getting the Shiggajon LP at some point. I mean, just reading through it's description on El Paraiso makes me drool...literally!:

"It's tempting to categorize Shiggajon as a spiritual jazz ensemble, since their music is able to induce a heightened, spiritual euphoria much similar to that of Pharoah Sanders, Don Cherry or Alice Coltrane. But any narrow definition of their sound would be misleading. While there's an element of ritualism present, there's also a post-modern tendency to absorb everything from sufi music to krautrock and contemporary electronic drone. Heavily modulated guitar pedals and processed vocals accompany layers of flutes, strings, bells and percussion as the most natural thing in the world."

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 05:37
I agree, it will be tough to make a top 10 list in a few months Tongue

Wow! Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 05:46
Last year I mentioned to Andy that it'd be cool if we could pick 20 albums instead of just 10. Sure if you've only heard 7 or 12 then that is how you roll....but yeah 20 picks would be cool and also a fine opportunity to highlight some of the more obscure artists out there
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 05:51
That would be great. I would also suggest voting a bit later, I think it's not fair to albums released near the end of the year Ermm
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 05:57
There are both pros and cons when you release later in the year. Some times it actually helps in these kinds of lists, because newer albums also feel more "fresh" and some of us are known to be blinded (temporarily) by music. 

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 06:04
Another good reason to vote later, we can make a more conscious choice.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 06:17
I am not sure I would be able to do a list at the moment, but I have favesBig smile

Dungen, elephant9, Pond and Vespero are all ending up on my list with Silver Mountain, currently, in the lead.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 06:23
I still have to listen to Silver Mountain, but that means buying the LP, since I can't stream it anywhere. Good to know it's that good Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 06:33
It is very very good and it appeals to my Krautrock fetish in a way that superseded my expectations. I've always hoped they would extrapolate on the kind of mood they conjured up for Walk The Nile (title track), and on Silver Mountain they do. Reminds me of Exmagma and Wolfgang Dauner's Et Cetera
Oh and there is one tune on joootoobWink 

I simply adore the organs on this thing (and do I pick up some mellotron in there as well? either way, beautiful stuff)

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 06 2015 at 06:34

- Douglas Adams
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 06:42
Still waiting on elephant9 showing up in the USA.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 06:47
Put on your dancing shoes Ian, you're in for a real treat! 
(when it arrives that is...)

How long have you been waiting btw?

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 07:04
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It is very very good and it appeals to my Krautrock fetish in a way that superseded my expectations. I've always hoped they would extrapolate on the kind of mood they conjured up for Walk The Nile (title track), and on Silver Mountain they do. Reminds me of Exmagma and Wolfgang Dauner's Et Cetera
I simply adore the organs on this thing (and do I pick up some mellotron in there as well? either way, beautiful stuff)
Wow! Amazing stuff, I think December will be Norway's month! Big smile I was so sad I missed their concert, earlier this year. I only knew about it the next day Ouch
By the way I finished listening to all the El Paraiso albums the other day, they are all really great, especially Jonas Munk's Pan Approve Thankfully none of those were released this year LOL
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 07:09

Never heard of Astral Son before, but it seems like the latter part of 2015 is shaping out wonderfully at least from a psych fan's pov. Definitely also getting the Shiggajon LP at some point. I mean, just reading through it's description on El Paraiso makes me drool...literally!:

"It's tempting to categorize Shiggajon as a spiritual jazz ensemble, since their music is able to induce a heightened, spiritual euphoria much similar to that of Pharoah Sanders, Don Cherry or Alice Coltrane. But any narrow definition of their sound would be misleading. While there's an element of ritualism present, there's also a post-modern tendency to absorb everything from sufi music to krautrock and contemporary electronic drone. Heavily modulated guitar pedals and processed vocals accompany layers of flutes, strings, bells and percussion as the most natural thing in the world."

Finally listened to this, reminds me of Outside the Dream Syndicate with more freeform percussion(and I love that album). Has it already been suggested for Indo/Raga???
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 07:22
Anathema - A Sort Of Homecoming

...Lee DouglasHug
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 22:28
At the moment:

Prog:
Stern– Bone Turquoise
Zs– Xe
Krallice– Ygg Huur
Deafheaven– New Bermuda
Sannhet– Revisionist
Liturgy– The Ark Work

Non-prog:
Viet Cong– S/t
Kendrick Lamar– To Pimp A Butterfly
Protomartyr– The Agent Intellect 
Father John Misty– I Love You, Honeybear
Girl Band– Holding Hands with Jamie
Ought– Sun Coming Down 
Julia Holter– Have You in My Wilderness 
Conduct– Fear and Desire
Bell Witch– Four Phantoms
Wilco– Star Wars 
Chelsea Wolfe– Abyss 
Kamasi Washington– The Epic 
Christian Scott– Stretch Music
Panda Bear– Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper

I have high expectations for Kannon.
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 04:04
Open Sky by David Torn is my 2015 pick.Fantastic journey through ambient and experimental music.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 11:49
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I simply adore the organs on this thing (and do I pick up some mellotron in there as well? either way, beautiful stuff)<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
Wow! Amazing stuff, I think December will be Norway's month! Big smile I was so sad I missed their concert, earlier this year. I only knew about it the next day Ouch</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">By the way I finished listening to all the El Paraiso albums the other day, they are all really great, especially Jonas Munk's Pan Approve Thankfully none of those were released this year LOL</span>

I haven't checked whether Elephant9 is playing Copenhagen anytime soon, but that's because I can't afford the trip nor the ticket. The same goes for Dungen actually, but then again I've seen them a couple of times before.

Cool to hear that you've been digging some Danish albums + the Psicomagia one...:and yes you're absolutely right, good thing none of them were released this year. Too many good ones to chose from already.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 11:52
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

"<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20.7px; white-space: pre-wrap;">It's tempting to categorize Shiggajon as a spiritual jazz ensemble, since their music is able to induce a heightened, spiritual euphoria much similar to that of Pharoah Sanders, Don Cherry or Alice Coltrane. But any narrow definition of their sound would be misleading. While there's an element of ritualism present, there's also a post-modern tendency to absorb everything from sufi music to krautrock and contemporary electronic drone. Heavily modulated guitar pedals and processed vocals accompany layers of flutes, strings, bells and percussion as the most natural thing in the world."</span>

Finally listened to this, reminds me of Outside the Dream Syndicate with more freeform percussion(and I love that album). Has it already been suggested for Indo/Raga???

No not yet. I wanted to wait a bit before suggesting them, because a) the PSIKE team is a pretty busy one and b) I wanted to get my hands on it and spin the whole album before going any further. Indo/Raga seems about right to these ears.....or Kraut or fusion. They certainly belong on PA.

- Douglas Adams
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 13:33
That Sexwitch album is pretty sweet.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 20>