Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy the criticism for Tony Banks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 16:08
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Banks has one problem: He is no improviser. I would for example have loved a live version of "Supper's Ready" in which Banks would go really wild on the keyboards in the "Apocalypse" part, but no; he sticks note for note to what he played in the studio. Which is the main reason why I consider Genesis not to be a good live band. It is in my opinion extremely boring if you don't go and improvise for solos during a live concert.

I think I even read that in his later years with Genesis he had a device on his keyboards which corrected him automatically if he played a wrong note. This would make improvising even impossible
If I could presume this was an intelligent pitch shifter, then no, all that would do is keep notes within a selected scale. Improvisation would actually be easier.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 17:13
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Banks has one problem: He is no improviser. I would for example have loved a live version of "Supper's Ready" in which Banks would go really wild on the keyboards in the "Apocalypse" part, but no; he sticks note for note to what he played in the studio. Which is the main reason why I consider Genesis not to be a good live band. It is in my opinion extremely boring if you don't go and improvise for solos during a live concert.

I think I even read that in his later years with Genesis he had a device on his keyboards which corrected him automatically if he played a wrong note. This would make improvising even impossible
If I could presume this was an intelligent pitch shifter, then no, all that would do is keep notes within a selected scale. Improvisation would actually be easier.

Okay, you might be right, and I would have jumped to the wrong conclusions.
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 17:27
I don't mind that Genesis didn't improvise. It's a talent all its own, and most bands who improvise onstage shouldn't. Tony improvises the things to hell behind the scenes and finds the perfect parts. There are only a few occasions where it sounds like the band is up in the clouds, and Tony is under a table somewhere giving a recital. In those instances he could have been more in touch with the energy of the performance, but I generally like that he didn't try to compose in the moment.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 21:29
It's not necessary to improvise in order to make songs more interesting live. As I understand it, many times the artists make new arrangement before going live, and thus end up playing the extended solos and such. However it may be, even though Genesis moslty won't add new bits to their song live, I have liked many live versions much better than the studio ones (from the classic period as well as the pop period). On the classic period they got more energy live, and phill's drumming is much more powerful and enjoyable, and Hackett's guitar often comes heavier; also, I usually like Peter's singing better live. From the pop period, they often sound less plastic and more like a real band playing.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 22:11
Genesis always took a democratic approach to deciding what goes and what doesn't, as I've understood it. I wonder if the reduction from five to four members had an unbalancing effect. I suspect that Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett were a typical voting block and Mike and Tony were the other with Phil Collins more of a sway vote. How true that might be for sure, I don't really know. But with five you can be voted down yet still have someone supporting you. I don't know what they did with ties, but in a foursome if you're voted down it's 3 to 1. A bit annoying and distancing if it were even a semi-regular occurrence.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 01:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

It's not necessary to improvise in order to make songs more interesting live. As I understand it, many times the artists make new arrangement before going live, and thus end up playing the extended solos and such. However it may be, even though Genesis moslty won't add new bits to their song live, I have liked many live versions much better than the studio ones (from the classic period as well as the pop period). On the classic period they got more energy live, and phill's drumming is much more powerful and enjoyable, and Hackett's guitar often comes heavier; also, I usually like Peter's singing better live. From the pop period, they often sound less plastic and more like a real band playing.

I agree with that to a certain extent. When I listen to an album like Three Sides Live, which has, IMHO, every note rehearsed, it is still a great album.

As for the Invisible Touch tour and the We Can't Dance tour, I found it quite disappointing that so few new things were added, and that even the jokes from the earlier tour were used again in the later tour. That is the danger if you are not the improvising kind: if you don't renew your music from time to time, it loses its power.

Edited by Moogtron III - July 29 2015 at 01:59
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 05:52
Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

That's the first I've heard about Down and Out being a stab at Hackett, sounds like reading a bit too much between the lines to me, although stranger things have happened.  I didn't realise there was such animosity between Banks and Hackett until the recent documentary.

I'd say that the acrimony first started when Hackett left (Banks thought he'd done enough concessions for Steve to be happy and remain), but it (animosity) probably dropped a few notches after ATTWT's commercial success, then Duke's then Abacab. But obviously not enough (yet) to invite Hackett back to play the whole Milton Keynes concert as a full member, in order to save The Gabe's WOMAD thingie (proof enough that Banks was not bitter about Peter leaving the band) in the first part of the 80's.

I suspect that Hackett's constant reminders (and milking to the last drop) of the early Genesis days (since the late 90's Genesis Revisited album) has increasingly gotten on Tony's nerves. Methinks that if Steve had not done these thingies, Banks might be a lot more agreable with Hackett nowadays.

Steve's constantly feeding the watermil is definitely not letting the old waters under Tony's bridges pass away and dilute into the sea of constant changes. TongueWink

Genesis always took a democratic approach to deciding what goes and what doesn't, as I've understood it. I wonder if the reduction from five to four members had an unbalancing effect. I suspect that Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett were a typical voting block and Mike and Tony were the other with Phil Collins more of a sway vote. How true that might be for sure, I don't really know. But with five you can be voted down yet still have someone supporting you. I don't know what they did with ties, but in a foursome if you're voted down it's 3 to 1. A bit annoying and distancing if it were even a semi-regular occurrence.
I am not so sure about that. In appearance, yesssss
But in the facts (well the ones I imagine), after The Gabe left, I think that nothing went on in Genesis without Banks' consent, and certainly nothing that he wouldn't like and be in a minority. I mean, it was him and Rutheford calling the shots after 75, until Phil's solo albums and Duke's mega success (due to Phil's stage presence & worldwide fame) that finally made the duo decide to make Collins a full & equal partner . Hackett never got that chance, since he was gone a while ago, when they decided to get Phil (and his fame) to stay forever (read: tie him down to the band)

Edited by Sean Trane - July 29 2015 at 06:00
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 22:20
Well, it's good someone is still playing the old Genesis music that most here love so much, since neither Gabriel nor 80's era Genesis (nor Collins) would play about anything from that period. That's why I'd rather see Hackett live over any of the others.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 23:48
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I suspect that Hackett's constant reminders (and milking to the last drop) of the early Genesis days (since the late 90's Genesis Revisited album) has increasingly gotten on Tony's nerves. Methinks that if Steve had not done these thingies, Banks might be a lot more agreable with Hackett nowadays.
I expect that was all done for the fans, not as any dig at Banks. Hackett understands and courts his fans in a way that the others do not.
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, it's good someone is still playing the old Genesis music that most here love so much, since neither Gabriel nor 80's era Genesis (nor Collins) would play about anything from that period. That's why I'd rather see Hackett live over any of the others.

I am not so sure about that. In appearance, yesssss
But in the facts (well the ones I imagine), after The Gabe left, I think that nothing went on in Genesis without Banks' consent, and certainly nothing that he wouldn't like and be in a minority. I mean, it was him and Rutheford calling the shots after 75, until Phil's solo albums and Duke's mega success (due to Phil's stage presence & worldwide fame) that finally made the duo decide to make Collins a full & equal partner . Hackett never got that chance, since he was gone a while ago, when they decided to get Phil (and his fame) to stay forever (read: tie him down to the band)
Some are more equal than others. Also, tyranny of the majority.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 06:02

I expect that was all done for the fans, not as any dig at Banks. Hackett understands and courts his fans in a way that the others do not.

Absolutely. Hackett doesn't milk the 70-77 Genesis to get under Banks' skin, that's for sure

But coupled with that milking, and fans always demanding Genesis for their early stuff (which did not make them rich at the time, and pro-rata is still not a major revenue percentage) probably annoys Tony to hell.
I'd even guess that if Hackett had not scored some successful solo hits in the 80's (GTR and that TV theme), Banks might understand more Hackett's milking of early Genesis just to survive

I'd agree that this is an issue for Banks, not Hackett.

Zenbadger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 18:08
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Hackett is definitely my favourite Genesis member and I don't think Banks or Rutherford should be blamed too much for Hackett's exit.  Somebody who has had such a long and prolific solo career probably wouldn't have been satisfied with any amount of freedom or any amount of weight given to his compositions.  The time had come for Hackett to break out and start his own band and so he did.  With that said, I do think Banks could have avoided drowning out the sound of Hackett's parts the way he did on say Ripples.  

If you mean the Steven Wilson re-master of 'Trick of the Tail' then, yeah.  But, blame the keyboards drowning out Hackett on Wilson's f**ked-up remastering - not on Banks.  On the pre-Wilson original (I had both the cassette and the vinyl originals), Hackett's playing on Ripples was meant to be subdued against the arpeggiations of Banks - almost like a rippling effect through a still pond.  You can tell (with my expletives not deleted) that I have no love for any of Wilson's re-mixes. Even the original CD mastering off of the analog tapes (in the late 80s / early 90s) was better before Wilson got his grubby hands on it...

I was about to make the same point. Ripples is mastered perfectly in my opinion, the guitars are meant to be subdued.

Haven't heard the Steven Wilson remix, don't feel i need too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 02:49
http://rockshot.co.uk/dir/14332/interview-tony-banks-detailed-revealing/

LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 14:37

http://rockshot.co.uk/dir/14332/interview-tony-banks-detailed-revealing/
LOL
That was good. Banks actually acknowledges that Hackett wrote a lot of Old Genesis stuff. A much better side of Banks than elsewhere. Wonderful.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 15:33
Yeah, funny that he tought Mike Rutherford's book was rubbish

He does use the French comic strip "Philémon" by cartoonist Fred for his box set art. I'm a big fan of Fred's work.

The box set, even though I'm a Banks fan, doesn't seem to be for me as a target audience, having most of his albums, and he mixes all his records through one another on the box set. I'm curious about the new tracks, though.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:38
Wow!  Banks comes off in that interview as....human!  Now I wonder if, after seeing his dour mug on the TV specials - especially when in reference to Hackett, if he's trying to smooth things over. 

Just thought of this - I don't know any of my Genesis fan friends whose favorite member is Banks, and I know only one person who has a Banks solo album beyond Bankstatement and Curious
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 01:44
Well, I got them almost all. Enjoying them too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 03:04
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Wow!  Banks comes off in that interview as....human!  Now I wonder if, after seeing his dour mug on the TV specials - especially when in reference to Hackett, if he's trying to smooth things over. 

No doubt that the man heard the criticism (maybe he lurks in PA LOL), and he's probably indeed trying to correct the situation, due to the "uproar" that followed it

I'm not saying it's calculated from him, but maybe his candle now has been lit, and he might "see things differently" and maybe find his behaviour towards Steve as a bit petty over tghe last two decades.

BTW: Rutherford was also perceived a bit as dismissive of Hackett in those rockumentories, but no-one seem to notice it as much.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 05:16
I've got two Tony Banks albums and don't really like either.  Curious isn't that bad, especially the first side, but Bankstatement did nothing for me.....I still have the LP somewhere but those vocals and the production!  Eeeeek!  Banks should've done the vocals himself. 
Did Rutherford seem dismissive?  He seemed the most wishy-washy.....Banks was overbearing; Peter was playful (I think he tried to rile up Tony a bit); Phil was still "the new guy" and, like he said of his role during the Lamb tour, he just had a toot on a joint, put on his headphones and went to work.  To me, Hackett wasn't featured nearly enough - he was there, but seemed absent at times.....he only spoke for a minute, but the whole band seemed on edge when he spoke.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 17:10
Banks is my fav keyboardist although his solo stuff is very uneven---but wow that was the nicest he ever came across especially his view of Hackett---maybe they will do something together now that Genesis is no more. I can dream.Ermm
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 19:20
Been listening to A Curious Feeling a lot lately. The playing on that one is so good... and I can tolerate the vocals now as well. Some of his best solos are all over those songs.

Edited by fudgenuts64 - August 02 2015 at 19:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>