Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEngland Garden Shed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: England Garden Shed
    Posted: June 14 2015 at 09:29
I first heard this about 1980/81 and then thought it was just 'ok' but i was moving away from symphonic prog (particularly British) into more Psych/Canterbury/folk/acid/Kraut/U.S west coast type of thing (now i fully embrace everything!Hug). I rediscovered it a few years ago and whilst to start with i still thought it was a bit flat it has really grown on me, particularly side two. It was quite something to go against the 'trend' of the times and make a full blown, unashamed 'prog' (and yes it is 'Prog'!) lp in 1978 (ok, unless you were Yes or Pink Floyd) and i just love the cover art being a take on 'Golden shred' (Garden shed, get it?) marmalade jar label; a real iconic slice (of toast LOL) of British life! I got a recent re-issue copy that came in 'marmalade' orange (with bits!) coloured vinyl- very tasty!
I believe the other England lp came out before 'Garden Shed' and was a very limited, private pressing only.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 02:51
I picked this up on LP sometime in the late-90's for a few bucks, in top condition too. I don't listen to it often, mainly because the drum sound is kind of 'flat'. I love Webb's mellotron work throughout. I ought to dig this out from the dark depths of my collection and re-visit.
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 02:19
Very good album. Yet another rare gem I stumbled upon by lurking here before I joined.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 22:19
a definitive release
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 22:09
It is a good album......there's a second release which unfortunately is not as interesting.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 22:07
I'm sure this has been discussed before - but I finally listened to this album and WOW. What a fantastic late 70s symphonic album. It's a hidden gem - and one I wish I got around to earlier. Been playing it quite a lot lately and for good reason. Sounds so fresh and I'll probably write a review for it soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply