Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRolling Stone's Top 50 Prog Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2015 at 20:15
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Yes, I'd say the main weakness of this list are its Top 10  rather than what comes before. It felt to me that the compilers started in the right way, and then progressively (pardon the punWink) "chickened out", so to speak. However, as Steve F. of Cuneiform Records pointed out on ProgEars, the list definitely contains much more challenging/left field stuff than anything concocted by Prog magazine.

Ok, I don't get - how exactly does the top 10 of the RS list "chicken out?" 

With the exception of Moving Pictures, Future Days and LLDoB (on the RS list), and Godbluff (on the PA list) the RS list pretty closely matches the PA list. I assume you are not arguing that the inclusion of something like Future Days to the RS list constitutes chickening out. Are you simply disagreeing with the order of the listing? If so, do you really believe there is any significance to be attached to something listed on one list as number 2 and the same thing on another list as number 8? 
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2015 at 21:46
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Yes, I'd say the main weakness of this list are its Top 10  rather than what comes before. It felt to me that the compilers started in the right way, and then progressively (pardon the punWink) "chickened out", so to speak. However, as Steve F. of Cuneiform Records pointed out on ProgEars, the list definitely contains much more challenging/left field stuff than anything concocted by Prog magazine.

Ok, I don't get - how exactly does the top 10 of the RS list "chicken out?" 

With the exception of Moving Pictures, Future Days and LLDoB (on the RS list), and Godbluff (on the PA list) the RS list pretty closely matches the PA list. I assume you are not arguing that the inclusion of something like Future Days to the RS list constitutes chickening out. Are you simply disagreeing with the order of the listing? If so, do you really believe there is any significance to be attached to something listed on one list as number 2 and the same thing on another list as number 8? 

If chickening out means more albums like CAN in the top 10 then i'm glad they chickened out. I love CAN but it seems out of place. Of course this is just my opinion as I rank about five CAN albums over Future Days, it's just not one of my favourites from them. I expect to see Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Tull, Rush and so on there. You guys know I love my left of centre albums but I will always rank the big boys of the golden era the highest.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2015 at 21:56
I like Steve F's thoughts as well, the point is this magazine is read by a lot of people and while you'd assume in this day and age of the internet that everyone knows about Prog the truth is that's just not true. Just the other day some guy on Youtube was going on about a Steven Wilson song, he'd never heard of him. 99% of the people I talk to about the music I listen to have never heard of that style, it's so rare that anyone knows about it, so while Rolling Stone magazine sucks and has so for decades I applaud them for giving a list that is better and more wide ranging than a lot of so called Prog experts. Do you know how many people are going to discover music that they never heard of just because of this list? And yes most won't like it.LOL
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2015 at 23:56
Nice list. I don't agree with it, but how many of us will agree with each other's lists anyway? I would have ranked Gong much higher, but I'm happy The Lamb came in at least no. 9. The commentary on each of the albums was more important to me than the list, but I didn't see anything to object to there either.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 00:06
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/20-insanely-great-genesis-songs-only-hardcore-fans-know-20141010/the-fountain-of-salmacis-20141010  In a relatively short time, Rolling Stone written another affirmative article about progressive rock; it's evidently now that RS pushing" our beloved genre up, and it is no in dispute anymore; I hope it should be at least "something significant" even for the biggest skeptics, and just one question remains - why RS do that and why now?
I think that RS recognized growth in popularity of the genre, that growing number of internet articles dedicated to prog bands and their albums, the number of new bands that play progressive rock around the globe. Rolling Stone recognized that the new prog revolution is occured and they won't to ignore it.

Edited by Svetonio - June 18 2015 at 01:51
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 02:06
Yeah, not a bad list at all, actually. 
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 03:44
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

FM - Black Noise sounds like something I would really like. NEVER heard of them and they don't seem to be on here.

They're here but only under Prog Related.
Magma America Great Make Again
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 07:31
Interestingly, the list is top of the "most viewed" pages on Rolling Stone at the moment - so unless the folks on this site are driving that, there may be more people out there who are interested in prog than we think.

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 08:39
It's a really nice list. Thumbs Up Quite surprising too, except for the top 10.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 09:04
Young man who listens to Kenye West thinks "What the hell is Prog?" and then puts on something by 50 Cent.

Young woman listening to Ke$ha thinks "What the hell is Prog?" and then listens to Beyoncé.

This list is only relevant to those who know Prog.

Once again, RS drops the ball by not informing it's young readers as to what type of rock music Prog actually is, it's history and why it should be listened to.

Rolling Stone: Still keeping the young masses ignorant. Thumbs Down

Edited by SteveG - June 18 2015 at 09:10
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 09:59
Pretty nice list considering it IS Rolling Stone magazine......Harmonium, Caravan, Gong, ADII, Softs, Camel.....and the normal choices.

I'm actually good with this list, never a list will be perfect for all, and some titles will be missed.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 11:48
King Crimson and Can probably only made the RS list because of their songs that were incorporated into rap/hip-hop songs.  Both Kanye, I think.
KenFrankenstein View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 12:11
This is what I have to say about Rolling Stone "magazine". I hope that all the RS journalists are on a plane and it crashes into great white shark infested waters on the gold coast  just to make sure that anyone survives the crash will be eaten alive by starving blood thirsty hungry sharks. 
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 12:12
Surprisingly good list from RS, though I would argue with the placement of a lot of the Rush stuff(too many IMO). Nice to see FM on the list! I would put ITCOTCK ahead of DSOTM.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 12:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Young man who listens to Kenye West thinks "What the hell is Prog?" and then puts on something by 50 Cent.

Young woman listening to Ke$ha thinks "What the hell is Prog?" and then listens to Beyoncé.

Once again, RS drops the ball by not informing it's young readers as to what type of rock music Prog actually is, it's history and why it should be listened to.

Young readers that, hypothetically, even do not know that there is such a thing as prog as well, but still want to know more about our beloved genre after reading the article because they are intrigued by the rave reviews in that issue, in a few minutes they will dig a lot of information about the progressive rock at various websites.

Edited by Svetonio - June 18 2015 at 20:04
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 12:30
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

King Crimson and Can probably only made the RS list because of their songs that were incorporated into rap/hip-hop songs.  Both Kanye, I think.
I respect your hypothesis, though you unfairly omitted Genesis.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 12:30
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Steve,
I think you are being a bit unfair...imho it's great they even did such a list.

Besides....how many 'young people' even read Stone on or offline..?
I consider my son in law (age32) a typical young music buyer and he doesn't read Stone........so is this list meant for them or for us...prog heads..?
Confused

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 12:34
Oh...I was going to comment on one of their choices which was FOABP  by Porcupine Tree.
Not on my list of great albums for the top 50.....I would have gone with either In Absentia or Deadwing which imho are far more interesting albums. I have always thought Fear was a bit boring overall.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 12:44
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I respect your hypothesis, though you unfairly omitted Genesis.

LOL
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 14:49

I'd say probably not, since RS choose Future Days, and the multitude - and it is a multitude - of EDM and hip hop artists who sample Can are almost always sampling Ege Bamyasi, including the time Kanye did it. And most of the remainder would have to be trance artists sampling Soon Over Babaluma's "Chain Reaction".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>