Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Iron Maiden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 13:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I guess Maiden is just not my cup of tea. I listened to Powerslave and Seventh Son and I kept thinking of Spinal Tap.
The music is just too stereotypical for me....they sound like a band pretending to be a prog metal band....with all the usual clichés.

Dunno what prog metal bands they were trying to copy in 1984. Confused

'Rush'...of course.....but it's not 1984 anymore...is it?

Wink

Not sure what part the wink is for, but Iron Maiden trying to be like Rush is a far fetched idea and comparison. Iron Maiden were probably the leaders of the NWOBHM movement in the early 80's. My first Maiden live show was 1982 and not a hint of Rush could be heard, even my last Maiden show in 2011 (I think), no Rush evident.

I don't label them prog metal or prog related at all. We seem to think that giving any band prog-(something) gives them meaning and life and purpose, validates them as some better band than just a rock or heavy metal band.

Iron Maiden are a heavy metal band, guitar driven riffs, hard drumming and vocals, very little to no synths. Sure they have written a couple longer songs that have a story to them, but so have other bands. Book of Souls has what some call proggy songs, but I rather think they are just expanding their song writing and playing, why write a 3 minute song when you can expand it to 6 minutes or 18 minutes, that does not equate to prog or prog related, IMO.

They probably grew up listening to Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, GG, Hawkwind, stuff like that as well as AC/DC, Zeppelin, Scorpions, The Who and the Beatles Dead.....but that latter group does not make them prog or prog-related.

Progressive rock is stereotypical, as is jazz, funk, pop and heavy metal...To me they sound like Iron Maiden which is outstanding!! 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 16:29
^ I get that. I spun the 18 min Empire Of The Clouds, and I don't really consider it Prog. It's an elaborated, symphonic-metal piece, Maiden-style. The first 6 or so minutes doesn't really change, and when the instrumental section kicks in, it almost sounds like a medley of Maiden rhythms. And I probably wouldn't call them 'heavy' anymore, either. And another thing I may add, I find that since Brave New World, I consider each album to be roughly 4 stars each, The Book Of Souls niether better or worse. Quality albums, solid, mix of shorter hard-rockers and longer, story-telling epics with nothing I'd call 'weak'. Love 'em all the way though.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 21:59
Still loving THE BOOK OF SOULS.
So many tracks have grown on me considerably. I'm really loving the title track and if eternity should fail. Good strong guitar interplay and fantastic lyrics.

I think Maiden still got it by a long shot!!
There is nothing weak about the album. I feel it's their best since their turn of the century Prog metal Album, A brave new World.

I'm so glad they didn't blow it. I guess they are like Black Sabbath...never too old to rock!!
:)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 22:24
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ I get that. I spun the 18 min Empire Of The Clouds, and I don't really consider it Prog. It's an elaborated, symphonic-metal piece, Maiden-style. The first 6 or so minutes doesn't really change, and when the instrumental section kicks in, it almost sounds like a medley of Maiden rhythms. And I probably wouldn't call them 'heavy' anymore, either. And another thing I may add, I find that since Brave New World, I consider each album to be roughly 4 stars each, The Book Of Souls niether better or worse. Quality albums, solid, mix of shorter hard-rockers and longer, story-telling epics with nothing I'd call 'weak'. Love 'em all the way though.
What he said.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:49
Listened to Virtual XI last night. I still find it quite good. Sure it has its flaws (esp. repetitive choruses) but still well done. It's punchy, energetic, lots of keyboards, somewhat different to their 'usual' approach. O.K., The Angel And The Gambler isn't their best track, but it's 'rocking' as all-hell. And The Clansman is as good as any of their epics. Blaze pulls it off admirably. Still, The X Factor is much more exciting, Powerlave is up there, and the new Book Of Souls is creeping up there as well. Up the Irons !!
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 19:35

Listened to Virtual XI last night. I still find it quite good. Sure it has its flaws (esp. repetitive choruses) but still well done. It's punchy, energetic, lots of keyboards, somewhat different to their 'usual' approach. O.K., The Angel And The Gambler isn't their best track, but it's 'rocking' as all-hell. And The Clansman is as good as any of their epics. Blaze pulls it off admirably. Still, The X Factor is much more exciting, Powerlave is up there, and the new Book Of Souls is creeping up there as well. Up the Irons !!

Virtual XI grew on me a lot, much better album than NPFTD for me. The Clansman sang by Bruce in Rock in Rio is epic.

And The X Factor is awesome, I love the dark tone it has. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 09:30

I've always liked 'The Educated Fool' and the emotional ballad 'como estas amigos'.
The Angel and the Gambler is good but it's quite repetitive.

I'm also glad to hear the book of souls is still creeping up on you. A highly addictive album. Will be more appreciated as a few years go by!!! :)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 15:13
As with most epic extravaganzas (I.Q. Road Of Bones comes to mind), The Book Of Souls is taking time to sink in, but it's rewarding. Gets better with each spin.
So, from the post-2000 albums since Bruce's return, it really is tough to say which is the best. Dance Of Death and Final Frontier are a smidge behind the others, but have some ripper tracks throughout. The others are incredibly awesome.
BTW, anyone checked out Steve Harris' 'solo' project British Lion ?? Sounds like a band to catch down the local !!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 00:20
I like The Final Frontier a lot, especially the second side. The Talisman, Starblind, When the Wild Wind Blows and to a lesser extent The Man Who Would Be King are amazing.

If I were to rank them I'd go:

-Brave New World (their greatest album IMO)
-Book of Souls (brilliant, not far behind)
-The Final Frontier
-AMOLAD (solid all throughout but not many moments of brilliance)
-Dance of Death (some great tracks but some fillers)

And British Lion was pretty good. But I prefer Bruce's solo work.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 02:14
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Then again, who knows...perhaps the second disc will be an ambient/acoustic/jazz odyssey tour-de-force!

I'd probably die of shock if ALL those genres were to be found in the space of a single Iron Maiden album! LOL  Will give it a listen with an open mind but I can't say I am too excited.  Will be surprised if it is not more of the same because more of the same is what Maidenheads desire.  Then again, it's been so long since I heard a new, straight up heavy metal album that this might just do the trick.  I got to see them on the AMOLAD tour; their energy translates better live.  The perfect stadium rock band.

I think you need Spinal Tap for that sort of sense of progression.  ;)

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 04:38
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

They probably grew up listening to Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, GG, Hawkwind, stuff like that as well as AC/DC, Zeppelin, Scorpions, The Who and the Beatles Dead.....but that latter group does not make them prog or prog-related.

I remember in an interview about 25 years ago, Bruce admitted to being a Jethro Tull fan...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 08:50
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I remember in an interview about 25 years ago, Bruce admitted to being a Jethro Tull fan...

The two key members composition-wise(in my opinion) Harris and Dickinson are both Prog fans and like RUSH as they get later in their careers they are indulging themselves by creating music that is Prog influenced.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 16:23
Revelation !!!!!
I've had Somewhere In Time on cassette since shortly after it appeared in '86. I listened to it a lot back then, but moved on from it and haven't listened to it since, maybe 1990 or so. I bought the vinyl re-issue yesterday and listening to it absolutely FLOORED me !! A remarkable album, easily up there with Powerslave. The use of guitar-synth was a risk for them to take, but adds so much texture to the songs. And the production is bang-on. It sounds quite mighty today. In fact, I gonna plonk it on the TT right now.
And then The Book Of Souls.......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 20:20
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

The two key members composition-wise(in my opinion) Harris and Dickinson are both Prog fans and like RUSH as they get later in their careers they are indulging themselves by creating music that is Prog influenced.

Harris is a big fan of Genesis and Jethro (they even did a cover of Cross-Eyed Mary)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 20:26
^ Not to mention NEKTAR - they covered King Of Twilight too.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 23:20
Maiden also did a great cover of Hocus Pocus.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 23:28
Hocus Pocus ?? I never heard their version
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 15:54
Whoa !! Revelation !!
Somewhere In Time is a permanent fixture on my TT lately and could well surpass Powerslave as the best Bruce-led album
The debut for Di'anno
The X Factor for Blaze
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:47

Whoa !! Revelation !!
Somewhere In Time is a permanent fixture on my TT lately and could well surpass Powerslave as the best Bruce-led album
The debut for Di'anno
The X Factor for Blaze

Really glad to hear SOMEWHERE IN TIME has made sweet dear love to your eardrums lately.
Certainly a vinyl remaster would do that album some sweet justice. :)
I've been trying to tell many people I know for years just how good that album is. Do they listen to me?
Of course not.
It's in their top 3 for me. I've adored it for around 12 years now.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 01:04
^ Just BRILLIANT, more consistent than Seventh Son...........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>