Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy no love for ELP?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 12:34
Originally posted by Big Kid Josie Big Kid Josie wrote:

As far as the urgency of their music, it seemed like it started to fade a bit from the debut album onward

I don't see it that way, thanks to the likes of "The Endless Enigma," "Trilogy," "Living Sin" and the triumphant "Karn Evil 9," which enjoys a long, ongoing reign as my single favorite ELP composition.

Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

...and I for one, am grateful that ELP did have the grace to jack it in when they did (unlike their peers...)  The ELPowell album was a credible reprise when you consider the same year Genesis put out 'Invisible Touch' and the following year Yes came up with 'Big Generator'.  I know which one of those I'd rather listen to!

The 1986 album was a solid comeback, with some great tracks in "The Miracle" and "Touch and Go." The only really "bad" track was the CD bonus track of the instrumental arrangement of "The Loco-motion." It was silly. I didn't like "The Score" when I first heard it, but it grew on me. I even like "Love Blind" and "Step Aside"!

I agree about Invisible Touch, but Big Generator does have some good songs. For me, Emerson, Lake & Powell has the edge.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 17:31
ELP were very much saddled with the post punk dinosaur label, probably more than most others. Maybe that accounts for this supposed lack of respect even amongst lovers of the Prog genre.

ref Invisible Touch .... not awful but largely irrelevent. I wish Genesis had packed it in after Genesis. Duke was an absolute ripper, had they stopped there I'd have been left wondering but the opening bars of Mama have an expired use by date on 'em and it was pretty much downhill from there. Of course there is the odd stand out track but nothing that brings out the goofy grin of musical satisfaction.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 17:47
 My whoops ..... I forgot about Abacab which as a whole didn't much impress me either. Sorry ... straying off topic somewhat.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 03:10
Just to return to the topic, ELP's Works tour did have some vitality - and urgency.  The live versions of 'Pirates' (without the orchestra) is stunning but a real gem was 'The Enemy God' where Emerson brilliantly fills for the missing orchestra  - 'Tank' sounded great live too (ref: Live at Nassau Colosseum).
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 03:55
You would not have seen Tony Banks on a levitating spinning piano.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 05:22
Four, that's right, 4 pages in and I STILL don't understand why this question even exists........
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 05:27
I think it is because of the venom directed at ELP in the late 70s, and it has marked those of us who lived through it.  I don't have it to hand, but Danny Baker's sleeve notes to the High Voltage compilation say it all...
Big Kid Josie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 07:30
I love ELP's first 6 albums up until Welcome Back, but to me they came out on fire in their debut.  There was this angry, violent "we're tank treads and we're gonna grind you up!" spirit that infused their music.  Check out the Barbarian, parts of Three Fates, Knife Edge, the ending of Tank after the drum break...this was aggressive prog like "Prog metal with an organ".  There were the two mellow Lake songs, but even the piano improv part of Take A Pebble has this driven quality.  You can see their intensity in the IOW video.  Maybe it was coincidence, but that's the period where they were inspired most by Bartok, Janacek, etc.

This violent, impassioned streak was still there in Tarkus (the title track, Bitches Crystal, Time and a Place), but there were also some lackadaisical songs on side 2.  It was there in parts of Pictures (Blues Variation, Gates of Kiev).  Trilogy was a more mellow album and didn't seem to have this intensity, except for maybe the solo/conclusion of the title track (Not that that's bad---I love Trilogy and think bands can and should show different facets of their music in different albums.)  Coincidentally, this was when the Copland tunes start to crop up.

BSS had this sense of urgency in Toccata and KE9 1st impression, but again, it wasn't maintained thru all the songs (even though that was a fine album).  After their break, Works comes out with their longest Copland adaptation (Fanfare) and a lot of their intensity is gone.  I do love Fanfare and Pirates, but much of Works I is noodling around.  By Works II, they're covering Scott Joplin and Meade Lux Lewis...I don't see any intensity here at all.  While I like the sheer diversity of Works II, it's a far, far cry from the debut.

The only song with any intensity at all on Love Beach was the Ginastera cover.  I guess that's what I mean about gradual loss of urgency/intensity from the debut album onward.  Whether it correlates to the classical artists they drew their inspiration from is a subjective view...   
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 07:36
As an aside, the only time I saw ELP live was the 77 Works I tour sans the orchestra and they were smokin'.  From what I read later, the orchestra nearly broke them financially in that tour and they had to grimly soldier on as a 3-piece.  They were certainly full of piss & vinegar when I saw them.  So, they could still play with intensity in a live setting.  It just seems to me their albums started to suffer from a lack of it...  
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 08:12
What was the Ginastera cover on Love Beach?  I thought the only cover on that was by Rodrigo ('Canario')
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 08:17
You are absolutely correct...I was thinking that was a Ginastera piece, but it's not...I hang my head in shamed disgrace!
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 09:00
Anyway, I didn't get to see ELP live until 1992 - one of my treasured memories...
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 09:19
I bet it was!  Black Moon was a pretty fresh album from them and I imagine that was the tour supporting it.  Would love to hear what the highlights were for you...In 77 they opened up with this crushing monster version of the Peter Gunn song, played an extended blues jam in the middle of Fanfare and did the full Pictures.  Emo still used his polyphonic moog and played two banks of keyboards with either hand.  Didn't see the organ knife, though...They also did a great version of Knife Edge, Enemy God and Pirates...with no orchestra, Emo was really working to provide all the accompaniment on keyboards, as you can imagine...
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 09:24
I hail from Alabama in the USA, which is in the heart of the South (think country and blues territory, with New Orleans and their jazz tradition 3 hours away).  So, many of the bands I saw, knowing they were in blues country, would venture into it a little when they played there.  I saw Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer in 76, touring with his prog/jazz-fusion band and Beck stopped halfway thru the show, let the other musicians take a break, and mock-drawled: "I hear y'all love the blues down here?", after which he played old blues tunes for about an hour.  One of the best shows I saw...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 09:24
I also saw ELP on the Black Moon tour, at the Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles. It was one incredible evening. I think everyone there was a diehard fan! The next night (which I did not attend) was simulcast on KLOS.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 09:26

I saw Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer in 76

Damn! Color me green. Thumbs Up
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 09:29
I think I was slightly overwhelmed to begin with as, at the time, I never thought I would get the chance to see them live. I recall 'Tarkus' and 'Pirates' as being particular highlights, for me at least, although I had not heard Black Moon prior to the concert.  Then, I had to wait another 18 years to see them again (I don't care what people say - I loved what may have well been their final performance at High Voltage)...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 09:31
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

I recall 'Tarkus' and 'Pirates' as being particular highlights, for me at least, although I had not heard Black Moon prior to the concert.

I thought it was utterly cool when they launched into "Touch and Go"!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 09:31
Man, I bet that was a great show...one thing about the prog bands of old when they toured after the 70's, it was in smaller venues and you were surrounded by die-hard fans...I caught the Moody Blues in Dallas sometime in the 80's, I think, with Patrick Moraz on keys.  It was an open-air venue with perfect acoustics and they traded out vocalists (Haywood, Lodge, Pinder) such that none of them lost their "studio voice" during the show.  Great show!  No one there buy Moody fans... 
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 09:33

I hail from Alabama in the USA, .
I was in Auburn, Alabama in 1990 - that explains why I didn't have lengthy discussions about prog rock when I was at the bar Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>