Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat characteristic of Prog do you most value?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 00:35
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I personally value none of it
I got excited because I saw you had posted, and Gadzooks! Is it my wording, or are you trying to be the total opposite of Svetonio? Not sure where you're coming from on this. Let me know.

I have a great dislike for it...that's all
That's All....I hate that song too. It still seems like we're mis-communicating, though.

I have the most difficult time liking Prog..so therefore I don't value too many of it's characteristics. Progressive Rock annoys me, but that's not to say by any means that it isn't good ...or...isn't good for other people in the world besides me. 
I guess that spells it out pretty well, and I am intrigued. I just hope you're not going to tell me that you've lost any of your enthusiasm for Steve Hackett and Jade Warrior. Best.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 03:27
Innovation in composition. This is the reason why I listen to music. How else can a song progress through my ears? It's the strong melody which makes you want to hear it again. 70s proggers had the perfect influences to do this. Good recording sound and production is also important
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 09:21

I personally value none of it
I got excited because I saw you had posted, and Gadzooks! Is it my wording, or are you trying to be the total opposite of Svetonio? Not sure where you're coming from on this. Let me know.

I have a great dislike for it...that's all
That's All....I hate that song too. It still seems like we're mis-communicating, though.

I have the most difficult time liking Prog..so therefore I don't value too many of it's characteristics. Progressive Rock annoys me, but that's not to say by any means that it isn't good ...or...isn't good for other people in the world besides me. 
I guess that spells it out pretty well, and I am intrigued. I just hope you're not going to tell me that you've lost any of your enthusiasm for Steve Hackett and Jade Warrior. Best.

How is it possible to enjoy an album that you first heard in 1975 or 1980? Even if the album is timeless, it's like returning to an old photograph album of family pictures you know? Okay....this is how I looked in 1980...ha!ha!ha! You enjoy the glance for the moment, but will you return to it every week, month, or year? 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 12:36
The bore of Prog has often been cemented in my head from playing too many pieces on guitar over decades. Too much exposure to one style of music is unhealthy for a musician. I'm not making reference to Popol Vuh who are often categorized as Progressive Rock ...as I find that lame to begin with when clearly they can't be labeled in any sense or perhaps shouldn't be. Spiritualism comes to mind along with a theory that they created "New Age" , but I dislike the notion to associate Popol Vuh with a host of other bands/artists ...who fall into a specific category and proceed to spread a disease within it...while Popol Vuh ...Florian Fricke himself, was in a world of his own regarding his natural ability to create the most beautiful and mysterious music in the world.

Performing in a Genesis Tribute band for example has it's letdowns in life. You are basically playing someone else's music and additionally emulating the style of Steve Hackett and backing a front person dressing in Gabriel's costumes. How much fun can that really be?  Prog tribute bands are "in" on the music scenes scattered across the U.S. and they can profit from it , but as a serious musician very capable of playing any Genesis song/piece, you are being asked to personally take on a role playing game with one of the Genesis members and then your riding on their coat tails 25 to 30 years after the fact of existence and truly it is not for me.

Forming a real Prog band that will record and possibly tour is a huge investment to gamble on and no matter how tight and precise you are on stage, you are constantly cutting losses and attempting to keep your head above water. Then after playing Progressive Rock in the 70's and 80's, it's possible to find that struggle to be pointless and equaling senseless. It is possible to relocate your thoughts and question yourself with the usual logical indications in your mind that tells you ...that you are either doing something wrong or something stupid. You might ask yourself..."Did I miss something?" or....Actually look at the sky and think..."I wish this sequence of events would repeat itself because I can't believe my eyes".
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 13:01

How is it possible to enjoy an album that you first heard in 1975 or 1980? Even if the album is timeless, it's like returning to an old photograph album of family pictures you know? Okay....this is how I looked in 1980...ha!ha!ha! You enjoy the glance for the moment, but will you return to it every week, month, or year? 

I don't know about that - I met my husband in 1980 and I still enjoy him....
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 17:14

Wow. There are musicologists who devote their life to studying specific pieces of music and earn very good livings doing so. 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 17:25
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I don't know about that - I met my husband in 1980 and I still enjoy him....

Congratulations
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 17:28
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Wow. There are musicologists who devote their life to studying specific pieces of music and earn very good livings doing so. 

And there are also "Hip Hop" artists choosing the worst Classic Rock of our generation to place programmed beats to as they Rap dribble over top of it and they earn very good livings doing so
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 02:12
Weirdness and ambition is the stuff that makes it work for me. The rest is fluff.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 04:08
Mellotrons or gtfo! Wink

I love reading this thread, all; thank you for the reading material.

Edited by PrognosticMind - July 07 2015 at 04:08
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 14:24

The bore of Prog has often been cemented in my head from playing too many pieces on guitar over decades. Too much exposure to one style of music is unhealthy for a musician. I'm not making reference to Popol Vuh who are often categorized as Progressive Rock ...as I find that lame to begin with when clearly they can't be labeled in any sense or perhaps shouldn't be. Spiritualism comes to mind along with a theory that they created "New Age" , but I dislike the notion to associate Popol Vuh with a host of other bands/artists ...who fall into a specific category and proceed to spread a disease within it...while Popol Vuh ...Florian Fricke himself, was in a world of his own regarding his natural ability to create the most beautiful and mysterious music in the world.

Performing in a Genesis Tribute band for example has it's letdowns in life. You are basically playing someone else's music and additionally emulating the style of Steve Hackett and backing a front person dressing in Gabriel's costumes. How much fun can that really be?  Prog tribute bands are "in" on the music scenes scattered across the U.S. and they can profit from it , but as a serious musician very capable of playing any Genesis song/piece, you are being asked to personally take on a role playing game with one of the Genesis members and then your riding on their coat tails 25 to 30 years after the fact of existence and truly it is not for me.

Forming a real Prog band that will record and possibly tour is a huge investment to gamble on and no matter how tight and precise you are on stage, you are constantly cutting losses and attempting to keep your head above water. Then after playing Progressive Rock in the 70's and 80's, it's possible to find that struggle to be pointless and equaling senseless. It is possible to relocate your thoughts and question yourself with the usual logical indications in your mind that tells you ...that you are either doing something wrong or something stupid. You might ask yourself..."Did I miss something?" or....Actually look at the sky and think..."I wish this sequence of events would repeat itself because I can't believe my eyes".
Sorry for the delay in my post. I had a big long thing in progress a couple days ago and it seems to be gone now. I basically wanted to say that I get it. Given your experience as you described it a certain amount of antipathy might be expected. Nevertheless, don't lose the child inside you. Best.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 15:20

Sorry for the delay in my post. I had a big long thing in progress a couple days ago and it seems to be gone now. I basically wanted to say that I get it. Given your experience as you described it a certain amount of antipathy might be expected. Nevertheless, don't lose the child inside you. Best.

Thanks
Vaffi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 04:50
I really like the complexity of the playing. Just the fact that you have to be good at the instrument to play prog is what I really like. This is very evident to me in the drums. I think its why I like KC more than Floyd, because Giles and McCulloch really just amaze me as they improvise on the snare drum but still keep the pulse and timing perfect.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 05:24
Originally posted by Vaffi Vaffi wrote:

I really like the complexity of the playing. Just the fact that you have to be good at the instrument to play prog is what I really like. This is very evident to me in the drums. I think its why I like KC more than Floyd, because Giles and McCulloch really just amaze me as they improvise on the snare drum but still keep the pulse and timing perfect.

I don't quite agree with you here, Vaffi.
The complexity (or virtuosity) of playing in not enough for me, the interconnection between musicians inc. lead and response within a band, the overflowing and crossing layers of the music, dynamic sound bottom and top end uncut, most importantly it has to have tunes (everything lacks meaning without tunes) also the built up of one or more crescendos (those that you feel rising up from within your stomach, up and up) this is what music is about to me.
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 11:17
The heroic nature of the songs.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:16
If I like it or not.

While that was half-serious, I like music that can both be adventurous and easy to listen to at the same time. Hence why Gentle Giant, Rush, Yes, Eloy, Phish, Pink Floyd, etc. are among my favorite prog bands. I don't like bands that just try and be as technical and avant-garde as possible just for the sake of it, then they just come off as pretentious.

Edited by Pastmaster - October 28 2015 at 12:19
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:23
I love it when progressive rock redefines the way we think about music. It only rarely happens, but when it does, it's like tasting space or swimming in lava.
Faust did that for me (along with many many others). 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 14:23

For me I think it all started with an album titled "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band" - It was the first time I heard string quartets, calliopes, sitars, farm animal sounds, found sounds, trains, mellotrons, and random laughing! With songs about getting help from friends, meter maids, running away from home, circus performers, suicide, fixing holes, mystical and spiritual discovery, and growing old - and that album covers could be art - There was no going back but at the same time going forward to what became Prog!

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 15:03
'More.'

More dynamic than conventional rock or pop.
More time signatures
More virtuosity
More instruments are acceptable and welcomed.  I like my rock with woodwinds and bowed instruments.
More range in what is considered an appropriate length for a track.
A large range of song structures.  Not always verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus or something like that.
More experimentation, ambient noises.
More fun with lyrics and concepts.  Not all songs need to be love songs.

It's music with elbow room!

More heavy prog, please!
ProgressiveHypocrite View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 15:35
I like some of the more melodic compositions, such as those by Yes, Genesis, and even King Crimson, though sometimes I like going on a rollicking roller coaster ride , as with "Heart of the Sunrise", "Starless", "Gates of Delirium", and "2112". I also like how all the players get their moment; nobody is "just the drummer", or "just the keyboardist", or "just the bassist". I could go on. You get it, right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>