Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why so few American bands in 70's prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 01:21
To be honest I do not think America was ready for prog at the time (one has to remember many even trashed/burned The Beatles albums a few years earlier lololol hihihi )
Even Jimi Hendrix only became famous when he went to England Big smile
hugs to all Hug
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prog4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 07:29
Kid Josie:  You are spot on regarding Beach Boys, Kansas, Styx, and - yes - even Chicago.  But, I think you forgot one:  Journey.  When Gregg Rolie was at the helm in their early albums (before their break-out "Infinity" album), he was leading the band into at least some of the proto-prog styles he had cultivated when playing with Santana (he played with Santana at Woodstock).  It was only after the departure of Rolie - and a very under-rated drummer, Aynsley Dunbar - that Journey went full let's-make-at-least-one-pop-single at the end of the 70s all through the early- to mid-80s.  Rolie was definitely into keyboard styles that were prog-esque, as well as wanting to change time-signatures and prog-like mood changes; he's one helluva conga player (with Santana) too...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 10:48
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I don't think that different musical interests is the same as lack of interest, and I agree with you in that no country has a monopoly on talent.

But sixties London must have been a gas! I wish I could have experienced it.

You and I, both!!  I was listening to the Monkees when I could have been listening to the first Yes LP!  

My point was one of geography....America is a vast land, and our cities are not very well connected.  London was THE scene in the UK, whereas musicians in the USA were in "islands" such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City and various other cities. 

My own Chicago was always something of a backwater for music, despite an ill-deserved reputation as "birthplace of the blues" and large population.  

On my first trip to London in the early 1990s, I took the tube to Piccadilly Circus just because I had read so much about it in my youth....mod fashion especially.  The place was a RIOT!!  I love London, fantastic town!  

Anyway....I have no idea why the prog bands Yes, Genesis, ELP, KC etc. exploded out of the UK like they did.  

Was there better social support, so that the musicians didn't have to hustle for a living as much as we Yanks did?  

I see your point more clearly now, Charles. It is indeed hard to imagine the UFO club as once residing in Hull.
Then why was Friars Club so popular? While not being in Hull, Alyesbury isn't recognised as a thriving hub of music, or anything else come to that.
Ah, you've missed a few key words. I said "as once residing" in regard to the UFO club as it was
part of the short lived explosive zeitgeist of "Swinging London" in the sixties.

I don't believe that the Fryiars Club was located in an area that was ever referred to as "Swinging Alyesbury".

Except by a few old ossified ale house residents, I suppose.

Edited by SteveG - June 29 2015 at 10:53
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 16:56
The brilliant HANDS have not yet been mentioned in this thread, I think. Their "eclectic" prog with a lot of different instruments reminds me of Gentle Giant. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to buy one of their CDs which were released in the 90s, containing their music from the 70s (HANDS and PALM MYSTERY). But their 2002 album TWENTY-FIVE WINTERS is very good, though not as playful as the old stuff. I must admit I haven't heard STRANGELET (2008) so far. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:15
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

The brilliant HANDS have not yet been mentioned in this thread, I think. Their "eclectic" prog with a lot of different instruments reminds me of Gentle Giant. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to buy one of their CDs which were released in the 90s, containing their music from the 70s (HANDS and PALM MYSTERY). But their 2002 album TWENTY-FIVE WINTERS is very good, though not as playful as the old stuff. I must admit I haven't heard STRANGELET (2008) so far. 

ClapI am the proud owner of a copy of Strangelet (a gift from a friend who is also a friend of the band), which is a truly outstanding album - a must for fans of the Warr guitar, played by Mark Cook (now a member of Herd of Instinct).
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 17:48
^ I recently purchased Strangelet and Twenty Five Winters.
I've heard each of them one time only but they were very good.
I expect to like them more after another listen.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 08:12
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Zappa is American tho' :) he was/ is awesome ApproveThumbs Up Progressive music did originate from the UK tho' :) xxx

May I suggest that the term indeed originated from the UK ... but the music was already around in many places around the world, not just London!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friday13th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 08:39
Frank Zappa and Mahavishnu Orchestra were popular and highly influential. I wouldn't call most jazz fusion prog, but Mahavishnu definitely is. I read an interviews with Yes and Genesis saying they were inspired by Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire to add jazzy parts to their music. Yezda Urfa is really good if obscure and similar enough to Yes and Gentle Giant.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 08:57
Progressive music developed along very different paths in the US and the UK. Although there are some wonderful US-Canadian progressive rock bands of the classic era (Zappa, Rundgren, Rush, Dixie Dregs, etc.), the North American school of progressive music was much more closely tied to fusion and the contributions of Miles Davis and his progeny (Zawinul, Corea, Clarke, McLaughlin, Shorter, Coryell, Hancock, Martino, etc.). 

Alternatively, one could pose the question, "why are there so few british fusion bands?" And then we point toward Brand X in somewhat the same vein as we point toward Zappa.

Indeed, both schools of music figure prominently in Progarchives, and I think that is with good reason. The relative independence of the development of progressive music on either side of the drink is, IMHO, an underappreciated facet of the prog/fusion story. Another interesting facet is the cross-pollination between the schools (e.g,. RTF composing Romantic Warrior and Chester Thompson touring for so long with Genesis).
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeepingElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 09:25
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Progressive music developed along very different paths in the US and the UK. Although there are some wonderful US-Canadian progressive rock bands of the classic era (Zappa, Rundgren, Rush, Dixie Dregs, etc.), the North American school of progressive music was much more closely tied to fusion and the contributions of Miles Davis and his progeny (Zawinul, Corea, Clarke, McLaughlin, Shorter, Coryell, Hancock, Martino, etc.). 

Alternatively, one could pose the question, "why are there so few british fusion bands?" And then we point toward Brand X in somewhat the same vein as we point toward Zappa.

Indeed, both schools of music figure prominently in Progarchives, and I think that is with good reason. The relative independence of the development of progressive music on either side of the drink is, IMHO, an underappreciated facet of the prog/fusion story. Another interesting facet is the cross-pollination between the schools (e.g,. RTF composing Romantic Warrior and Chester Thompson touring for so long with Genesis).

Yes.  The US and the UK had different musical cultures.  The US had modern jazz, and that was where most American rock musicians looked when they wanted to transcend the rock song formula.  The UK was the last country of the western world where classical composition had not yet fallen to serialism, and that was where most British rock musicians looked when they wanted to transcend the rock song formula.  There were other differences as well, like that between American cowboy romanticism and English "Green" romanticism, or between American New Left and European New Left, and all these differences led to American counterculture and English counterculture developing into different directions.

But one moment - wasn't fusion music chiefly a matter of jazz musicians?  At least, all the major (American, at least, but also many European) fusion musicians I can think of came from jazz.  It seems that while many English rock musicians looked to the future and created progressive rock, most American rock musicians looked to the past and created roots rock.

Edited by WeepingElf - July 16 2015 at 10:32
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 13:12
Didn't most of Beefheart and Zappa's band lineups come from the jazz subculture, though?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 15:57
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

To be honest I do not think America was ready for prog at the time (one has to remember many even trashed/burned The Beatles albums a few years earlier lololol hihihi )

Even Jimi Hendrix only became famous when he went to England Big smile

hugs to all Hug

Hard to argue what with the hugs and all, but I'm not sure this was a case of Americans not being 'ready' for British-style prog.  Most of the seminal works of the progressive heyday (69-72) sold at higher volumes in the U.S. than they did in Britain:

Yes
The Yes Album
Fragile
CTTE

Jethro Tull
Stand Up
Benefit
Aqualung
TAAB

ELP
ELP
Tarkus
Trilogy

King Crimson
ITCHYCOCK

Gentle Giant
Three Friends
Octopus

Pink Floyd
Ummagumma
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
Obscured by Clouds

There were definitely some European-centric bands that never really broke over here back then, most notably VdGG and Genesis, but there was certainly a lot of support for progressive music at least in terms of the listening public.  And by 71-72 we had enough of our own prog bands to capture attention that the distinction between European and American prog sort of started to not matter.

RockHound has it right when he says there were a lot more things going on musically than just prog, especially in terms of fusion, blues, psychedelic and electric folk to compete with the interests of musicians and their listeners.  Frank Zappa, Miles Davis, Vanilla Fudge, Spirit, Jefferson Airplane and Captain Beefheart were all cranking out some pretty wild and progressive stuff before most of those British bands listed above ever entered a recording studio.  Early incarnations of Kansas were recording the likes of "Incomudro" and "Belexes" at the same time CTTE, Fragile, Tarkus and Meddle were being conceived.

And there were plenty of Americans wandering around over in Europe making their mark on British progressive music in the late 60s and early 70s as well, including Joe Boyd who was busy promoting and producing the likes of Pink Floyd, Fairport Convention, Nick Drake, and the Incredible String Band; Hendrix who was rocking London on behalf of all Americans; and people like Abu Talib (Bluesbreakers), Tony Visconti (Bowie, Strawbs, Gentle Giant) and Jim Gordon (Traffic) who played and recorded with British prog acts.

I don't think there is any denying British artists played a major role in developing and promoting progressive music in those early days, but the genre was definitely well-known, respected and promoted in the U.S. at the same time.  There was just a whole lot more going on here then and prog rock had to share the stage with tons of other great styles of music being made at the time.

And as far as burning the Beatles, that did happen.  I was unfortunately present for some of those bonfires.  Our Bible-fueled parents also burned the Mamas and the Papas and CSNY, so this wasn't a phenomenon specific to prog rock.  On the bright side, most of their kids (predictably) rebelled and promoted lots of even more seditious music later in the same decade, so everything worked out for the best.

Hug
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 16:26
FEW?

There were a lot

Let me see how many I remember

1.- Kansas: Never really fell in Pop, they made two or three AOR albums when Steve and Robby lest the band in the 80's
2.- STYX
3.- Pavlov's Dog
4.- Albatross
5.- Atlantis Philharmonic
6.- Axcraft
7.- Babylon
8.- Bondar & Wise
9.- Brimstone
10.- Cathedral
11.- Earthrise
12.- Fireballet
13.- Harlequin Mass
14.- Happy the Man
15.- Infinity
16.- Lift
17.- The Load
18.- Netherworld
19.- Pre
20.- Starcastle

Only checked Symphonic partially

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 17:37
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Yes.  The US and the UK had different musical cultures.  The US had modern jazz, and that was where most American rock musicians looked when they wanted to transcend the rock song formula.  The UK was the last country of the western world where classical composition had not yet fallen to serialism, and that was where most British rock musicians looked when they wanted to transcend the rock song formula.  There were other differences as well, like that between American cowboy romanticism and English "Green" romanticism, or between American New Left and European New Left, and all these differences led to American counterculture and English counterculture developing into different directions.

But one moment - wasn't fusion music chiefly a matter of jazz musicians?  At least, all the major (American, at least, but also many European) fusion musicians I can think of came from jazz.  It seems that while many English rock musicians looked to the future and created progressive rock, most American rock musicians looked to the past and created roots rock.

That is very true, in large part because the U.S. already had a robust progressive music scene that blossomed with Bop - and so the Miles Davis connection looms very large.

An interesting aspect of the Brits spearheading the fusion of classical music with rock is the British composer gap. There wasn't a whole lot between Purcell and Britten that worked its way into the general repertoire (unless you count Handel). I forgot Elgar, but then again, I'd really like to forget Elgar (apologies to all you Elgar fans out there). I guess it was worth the wait, considering what Brittania gave the world with the "Big Five or Six" of prog.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 00:10
One American band that was at the forefront of psychedelic, ambient, prog-folk, electronic, jazz-fusion, not to mention avant-garde and space music was THE GRATEFUL DEAD.  Those who don't think they belong on PA have probably never explored the Dead's studio and live catalog.  Their work from 1965-70 was a huge influence on so many genres of prog....where would Krautrock be without the Velvets and the Dead? 

To call the Airplane, Phish, or - ugh! - Kansas, Journey and Styx prog but exclude the Dead is....wrong. 

Instate the great Grateful Dead for gawd's sake!
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Sloth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 00:47
I bet the Dead only have about a dozen songs that could be seen as Prog, and only a few of them in any substantial way. They're mostly a psychedelic folk-rock band with jazzy tendencies.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeepingElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 10:22

An interesting aspect of the Brits spearheading the fusion of classical music with rock is the British composer gap. There wasn't a whole lot between Purcell and Britten that worked its way into the general repertoire (unless you count Handel). I forgot Elgar, but then again, I'd really like to forget Elgar (apologies to all you Elgar fans out there). I guess it was worth the wait, considering what Brittania gave the world with the "Big Five or Six" of prog.

And in England, people like Britten and Tippett still composed tonally and in a classical spirit while on the Continent and in the US, the serialist avant-garde had taken over after 1945.  IMHO, serialism was a cul-de-sac; it resulted in music that more than 99% of the people considered unlistenable.  It was ice-cold and academic, and rock musicians saw no way connecting to it and letting it influence popular music.  England still had a living tradition of tonal, non-serialist music that rock musicians could connect to, and they did.

Also, the divide between "serious" and "popular" music was less rigid in the UK than in most other countries.  There was not much of this "if the masses like it, it cannot be good" nonsense that had infected avant-garde music circles (and not only them; some jazz aficionados thought in similar ways) elsewhere.  English composers not only continued to compose tonally, they continued to compose for the common people.  Even the ach-so-egalitarian Americans were more elitist than that.  Compare that to Schoenberg's "Society for Private Music Performances" which was as snobbish as one could get.

These factors predestined England to become the place where the rock and classical traditions could merge fruitfully.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 10:49
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

One American band that was at the forefront of psychedelic, ambient, prog-folk, electronic, jazz-fusion, not to mention avant-garde and space music was THE GRATEFUL DEAD.  Those who don't think they belong on PA have probably never explored the Dead's studio and live catalog.  Their work from 1965-70 was a huge influence on so many genres of prog....where would Krautrock be without the Velvets and the Dead? 

To call the Airplane, Phish, or - ugh! - Kansas, Journey and Styx prog but exclude the Dead is....wrong. 

Instate the great Grateful Dead for gawd's sake!

Clap

If this is not progressive Space Rock then I really don't know what that term means...
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 11:00
Originally posted by The Sloth The Sloth wrote:

I bet the Dead only have about a dozen songs that could be seen as Prog, and only a few of them in any substantial way. They're mostly a psychedelic folk-rock band with jazzy tendencies.
"Psychedelic folk rock band with jazzy tendencies" could be nothing less than that experimental i.e. progressive psychedelia ( i.e. PA material at least as prog related if not psych /space or prog folk as per PA policy of addition the bands to prog genres and to prog related section) and the Dead released some of best of that in 60s and 70s.

Smile

Edited by Svetonio - July 17 2015 at 11:38
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 11:14

I forgot Elgar, but then again, I'd really like to forget Elgar

Cry

Elgar, Vaughan Williams, and Bax belong to my favourite composers, and I see them as "prog-related" (I think they may have contributed to the pastoral elements in the music of Genesis and Genesis-influenced bands like England).

Edited by Skalla-Grim - July 17 2015 at 11:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>