4 [5.97%]
25 [37.31%]
22 [32.84%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 15:25
If I'm voting for it too (big chance that I will, though I like the Softs too, and I want to give Hawkwind a fair chance) the later this week I'll quote from a brilliant Dutch review about the album. I have to climb the attic to find it in my old prog magazines. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 15:40
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

If I'm voting for it too (big chance that I will, though I like the Softs too, and I want to give Hawkwind a fair chance) the later this week I'll quote from a brilliant Dutch review about the album. I have to climb the attic to find it in my old prog magazines. 

be sure to do that. I'd like to read it Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 16:05
Wind produced by hawk.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 01:31
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

be sure to do that. I'd like to read it Thumbs Up

It's the best advocate, defense, for the album I ever read. I hope I find it on the attic between all those old prog mags.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 13:42
Right, first my judgment of the albums.
This is for me, unexpectedly, one of the stronger polls.

Magma: I thought that I didn't like Zeuhl, but what I heard from them now is fascinating!
Soft Machine: good album, and I'm liking it better with every listen.
Hawkwind: first encounter with the band. I like it!
But the real winner for now is: Twelfth Night. I must add: "We Are Sane" is in my top 20 or 30 of all time favorite prog songs.

Where has the bagel gone? Three votes for Twelfth Night right now. Thumbs Up 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 14:21
Right, I made a promise here in the thread. Former prog reviewer / magazine editor / record boss Willebrord Elsing once made for the Dutch prog magazine SI magazine, in april 1992, a great review of "Fact And Fiction", from which I will quote some parts (Dutch-English translation by me):

"Of course I could start by explaining that singer Geoff Man sometimes sings badly out of tune, that guitar player Andy Revell, with a very ugly sound, often misses his notes, that drummer Brian Devoil on his drumset, which sound like a collection of shoeboxes, makes many mistakes, and that bass player Clive Mitten, because the original keyboardplayer Rick Battersby is absent, is swaying on his keyboards without any direction, while he's not hindered by any knowledge of his instruments. I could also try to explain that Fact And Fiction by Twelfth Night is a brilliant album, a milestone in the history of progressive rock and therefore an album that everyone should own. Of course I would bring the unsuspecting reading in a state of utter confusion, because how do we come from A to B? Let me try to explain.

Constantly tormented by quarrels amongst each other and heavily affected by the constant changes in personnel, Twelfth Night never succeeded in making their definitive album. Mann out, Mann in again, Mann out again, Battersby out, Battersby in again... But if there's one Twelfth Night album that comes close to a definitive statement, it's Fact And Fiction.

What if by a strange twist of fate not Peter Gabriel, but Peter Hammill would have joined the ranks of Genesis, than such a combination would have produced an album like Fact And Fiction. Very strong lyrics with social criticism, vocals that are so passionate that sometimes it becomes disconcerting, crazy vocal acrobatics, strange tempo and harmonic changes, music that goes the whole spectre from agressive pomp rock to romantic (in the good sense of the word). And on top of it an enormous originality, a big potential of four men in their early twenties who were at odds with themselves, each other and the world, and who had no other way of expressing themselves through their music. The aggressive "We Are Sane", the haunting "Creepshow" and the naive but heartrending "Love Song" are, for that matter, the best witnesses and therefore the highlights of the album.

The rest of the band history was downhill; with Geoff Mann leaving, the soul left the band. Twelfth Night tried it again with another singer (Andy Sears)... and tried desperate to make things work till everything ended like a candle going out... Band members seeking comfort into alcohol and drugs...

It's a sad story, but it explains a lot... About a complete lack of money for instance, which forced the band to make a low budget album during night hours. That's why the sound is so wretched, even when it has been repaired to a certain extent on the cd...

In fact, the whole band is raving like madmen on the record, as if they have heard that the next day they will be executed before a firing squad, and try to put in 45 minutes everything they still wanted to say. That's why the album is so important for prog rock, and for that period of time. Like I said, the album is full of weak spots, but the band transcends all that easily, purely because of the strength, the energy and the originality of the material.  Music on the cutting edge... the epicentre of conflicting emotions...

I always thought that this is quite an impressive review! Thumbs Up

Edited by Moogtron III - June 30 2015 at 14:24
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 14:49
We saw Twelfth Night at the final edition of NEARfest, in June 2012. People were leaving left, right and centre during their set, and I lasted only half an hour before I joined others in the lobby. Though I've seen worse bands, I was already tired (those festivals are not for the faint-heartedLOL), and their music was not exactly my cup of tea.

Back to the poll, since the Softs don't seem to need any help, my vote goes to Magma's debut. It is not my favourite album by the band (that honour goes to MDK), but still it is one of the few truly ground-breaking albums of the original prog era. I also have a lot of time for Hall of the Mountain Grill, though I cannot call myself a Hawkwind fan like my other half.

Edited by Raff - June 30 2015 at 14:49
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 15:09
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

We saw Twelfth Night at the final edition of NEARfest, in June 2012. People were leaving left, right and centre during their set, and I lasted only half an hour before I joined others in the lobby. Though I've seen worse bands, I was already tired (those festivals are not for the faint-heartedLOL), and their music was not exactly my cup of tea.

People leaving left and right, ha LOL Yes, that sounds like true Twelfth Night.
You haven't seen them with the legendary Geoff Mann, which makes a difference, I think. Quite a character... Sadly he died of cancer at a young age, in 1993. I had the privilege of seeing him live, though, the last year before his death. Not a very musical show, still quite low budget, lo-fi also, but creative, and Geoff was a great stage persona. The last year before his death Geoff was highly productive, also producing one of the wildest experimental solo records I ever heard, almost dadaist sounding: "Second Chants".

Without Geoff I think the band tried to cling to success at whatever cost, even doing a sort of Duran Duran act, make up and all. Luckily in the end they understood that that was not the right way to go.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 17:09

Right, I made a promise here in the thread. Former prog reviewer / magazine editor / record boss Willebrord Elsing once made for the Dutch prog magazine SI magazine, in april 1992, a great review of "Fact And Fiction", from which I will quote some parts (Dutch-English translation by me):

"Of course I could start by explaining that singer Geoff Man sometimes sings badly out of tune, that guitar player Andy Revell, with a very ugly sound, often misses his notes, that drummer Brian Devoil on his drumset, which sound like a collection of shoeboxes, makes many mistakes, and that bass player Clive Mitten, because the original keyboardplayer Rick Battersby is absent, is swaying on his keyboards without any direction, while he's not hindered by any knowledge of his instruments. I could also try to explain that Fact And Fiction by Twelfth Night is a brilliant album, a milestone in the history of progressive rock and therefore an album that everyone should own. Of course I would bring the unsuspecting reading in a state of utter confusion, because how do we come from A to B? Let me try to explain.

Constantly tormented by quarrels amongst each other and heavily affected by the constant changes in personnel, Twelfth Night never succeeded in making their definitive album. Mann out, Mann in again, Mann out again, Battersby out, Battersby in again... But if there's one Twelfth Night album that comes close to a definitive statement, it's Fact And Fiction.

What if by a strange twist of fate not Peter Gabriel, but Peter Hammill would have joined the ranks of Genesis, than such a combination would have produced an album like Fact And Fiction. Very strong lyrics with social criticism, vocals that are so passionate that sometimes it becomes disconcerting, crazy vocal acrobatics, strange tempo and harmonic changes, music that goes the whole spectre from agressive pomp rock to romantic (in the good sense of the word). And on top of it an enormous originality, a big potential of four men in their early twenties who were at odds with themselves, each other and the world, and who had no other way of expressing themselves through their music. The aggressive "We Are Sane", the haunting "Creepshow" and the naive but heartrending "Love Song" are, for that matter, the best witnesses and therefore the highlights of the album.

The rest of the band history was downhill; with Geoff Mann leaving, the soul left the band. Twelfth Night tried it again with another singer (Andy Sears)... and tried desperate to make things work till everything ended like a candle going out... Band members seeking comfort into alcohol and drugs...

It's a sad story, but it explains a lot... About a complete lack of money for instance, which forced the band to make a low budget album during night hours. That's why the sound is so wretched, even when it has been repaired to a certain extent on the cd...

In fact, the whole band is raving like madmen on the record, as if they have heard that the next day they will be executed before a firing squad, and try to put in 45 minutes everything they still wanted to say. That's why the album is so important for prog rock, and for that period of time. Like I said, the album is full of weak spots, but the band transcends all that easily, purely because of the strength, the energy and the originality of the material.  Music on the cutting edge... the epicentre of conflicting emotions...

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!  almost enough to inspire me to a fresh listen. 

Yeah as Raff noted we saw them at Nearfest.. however what she didn't say is while many left including Raff (likely to go shag Patrick Forgas in the women's bathroom while I was still in my seat LOLLOLWink) .. a certain neo-baiting.. neo-hating forum hooligen actually stayed through the whole of their set, and you know what.. I actually.. enjo.. well.. lets not get carried away. I almost enjoyed it. How is that for high praise. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 17:13

Magma: I thought that I didn't like Zeuhl, but what I heard from them now is fascinating!

perhaps THE strongest even if not the closest.. 

that Magma album was the one that hooked me. and still today is by far my favorite of theirs. 
Fascinating is a damn good description of it. Clap I got hooked on the opening song never looked back.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 01:38

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!  almost enough to inspire me to a fresh listen. 

Yeah as Raff noted we saw them at Nearfest.. however what she didn't say is while many left including Raff (likely to go shag Patrick Forgas in the women's bathroom while I was still in my seat LOLLOLWink) .. a certain neo-baiting.. neo-hating forum hooligen actually stayed through the whole of their set, and you know what.. I actually.. enjo.. well.. lets not get carried away. I almost enjoyed it. How is that for high praise. 

Ha, that's true praise out of your mouth. I'm sure neo is a bit like eating raw insects for you. LOL And Twelfth Night is ultra-neo.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 01:43

perhaps THE strongest even if not the closest.. 

that Magma album was the one that hooked me. and still today is by far my favorite of theirs. 
Fascinating is a damn good description of it. Clap I got hooked on the opening song never looked back.

I'm surprised at the originality of the material. It's so different. It never gets boring too.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 23:17
For me it comes down to Soft Machine and Hawkwind. I kind of like, and I use like in a totally inappropriate manner, 12th night just that little bit more than Magma. To be honest if I didn't hear either of them ever again I'd not be overly distressed. When I was a young bloke I'd have bopped along at a live preformance but I suspect the records would not venture far from their sleeves.

Wyatt is however a true hero of mine. Mad as a meataxe he may well be but a god nonetheless.

I suppose it doesn't really matter all that much cos obviously SM and HW will go through but being the honourable chap wot eye iz i have to go HW cos I like that album a wheeeeee bit betterer than Thoid.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 01:47

Twelfth Night, Fact and Fiction.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 06:23
I saw Magma exactly two months ago today, it's a sign I should vote for them Tongue
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 06:59
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I saw Magma exactly two months ago today, it's a sign I should vote for them Tongue

I nearly got picked up by Stella Vander over the desert table after the show at the French Embassy in 2010... she felt the Micky heat... and I sure as hell felt hers LOL

a vote for Magma pales...  I'd die for her.. I'd kill for her. What a woman...Heart
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 07:20
LOL
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 15:12
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 10:50
Voted Magma as the album needed the vote while Third had plenty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123