Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Treponem Pal (1970s) for Crossover or Symphonic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTreponem Pal (1970s) for Crossover or Symphonic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treponem Pal (1970s) for Crossover or Symphonic
    Posted: June 27 2015 at 14:09
Not the metal band with the same name, this Treponem Pal was a 1970s band that was also French, who released only one album in 1977 on Gratte Ciel. This album features some really nice keyboard and vocal arrangements, although the vocals (in English) are a bit accented. The music often has a symphonic approach, but there's some more straight-ahead material that has a crossover feel to it, so that's why I'm not 100% sure where this belongs. I have a difficult time comparing this, perhaps a bit of Barclay James Harvest, and maybe Camel. Here are some of their songs off their only album:

I wished I could post more YouTube videos from the 1970s Treponem Pal, but these three are all that exists. On this album, other songs included the silly "Mosquito Fly", plus the lengthiest song (at 9 minutes) "Evensong", a nice proggy closing piece, amongst others.

Since this never been reissued, it's little wonder why this is so unknown. And I could imagine a rude surprise if fans of the metal band accidentally buy this album and find no metal at all and instead find late '70s prog with vocal harmonies. Luckily the LP is cheap when a copy turns up.

So I really feel Treponem Pal, the '70s band deserves to be in ProgArchives, the music is undeniably prog, and while it might not be the most mindblowing album you'll hear (it is on the softer-end of the prog spectrum, so you won't get any rocking heavy prog passages), I find it a nice addition to my prog collection.
big.mo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 16:31
They somehow sound like Ton Ton Macoute or the other bands playing a music on the border of prog in the earliest 70s
Prog Doc
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 22:08
Symphonic they aren't

Progfan97402 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 11:23
I kinda figured that it seems too straight-ahead to be symphonic. Crossover does seem most appropriate.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 11:35
Added to the Crossover Chart
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 15:17
And approved.

Progfan, do you happen to have any additional info on these guys, would you be willing to write a bio for the band?

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Progfan97402 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 16:43
I had sent a private message to Roland 113 about a bio for Treponem Pal's bio, but in case anyone else from the Crossover team wants that info, I'll make the bio open to the public. Sorry that I don't have much info on this band, but with a band this obscure, and the fact a metal band has taken its name, makes it difficult, but I've done the best I can. Usually when I type "Treponem Pal 1977" in Google, I usually just cought up a listing from eBay selling the LP or some similar outlet. I do own their album (on LP), so I am quite familiar with their music. If I didn't own the album I wouldn't have suggested them to Prog Archives. Here's the bio:

Treponem Pal, a French band, not to be confused with the '90s metal band of the same name (also French). Treponem Pal was a prog rock band who released only one self-entitled LP in 1977 on the Gratte-Ciel label, and pretty much disappeared. Not much info can be found on these guys, so I am unable to tell you when they formed or broke up. They did release two singles, with "Other Life"/"Solitude" in 1976 on Gérard Tournier, and "Just A Fool" (with "Rightnow Paradise" and "Mosquito Fly") on Gratte-Ciel. What you have here is pleasant song-based prog rock, with nice use of synths and nice vocal harmonies (in English). Not always easy to compare them with, perhaps a bit of Barclay James Harvest. The music also features some nice keyboard interplay. Worth having for those who enjoy prog on the mellow-end, and don't always need their prog complex and challenging.

There's the bio. Here's some other info you need on their sole LP:

Tracks:
1. Overture
2. Within You
3. I Need You
4. Mosquito Fly
5. Tale of Aria
6. Heartless Heart
7. Rightnow Paradise
8. Just a Fool
9. Evensong

Original release: Gratte-Ciel ZL-37028

Personnel:

Laurent De Gasperis: Bass
Serge Baumer: Drums
Alain Berquez: Electric guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals
Gary Picketson: Piano, electric piano, lead vocals
Pierre Delas: Keyboards, synthesizer, flute

So, here's the bio, to the best of my ability, of the '70s Treponem Pal.

Edited by Progfan97402 - July 12 2015 at 16:47
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 17:46
Thanks for the help Ben, that's actually a huge help.  I haven't had much computer time today as I'm doing all kinds of family stuff.  I appreciate the help and should be able to do the band addition tomorrow night.

Thanks again,

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 19:02
. . . aaaaand added:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9461

Thank you for all of your help pulling this one together Ben.

Post Reply Post Reply