Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedS. Wilson not progressive rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: S. Wilson not progressive rock?
    Posted: June 27 2015 at 15:15
Steven Wilson doesn't believe that there is bands that are making Progressive Rock music today. He believe that this concept of Progressive Rock music was relevant only in the 70's. He seems to think that Progressive Rock music had to be innovative to be called like this. He admits that himself take his influences from various styles and add his personal style to it. This subject has been talk here before and i was not sure if Mr. Wilson was right with those statements, but today i think he could be right. But it's not the essence of Progressive Rock music to be innovative or is it that there is not enough strong personalities that make this kind of music?
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 15:20
This falls into the Progressive vs Prog debate, but if the current king of Prog has this view, than it shouldn't it be headed?
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 15:32
It's like some artists don't like to have  the tag "Progressive Rock" under their name like it was some kind of disease. They seems to think that Progressive is a limited genre. They should look at the PA database to see that there is more than only typical Prog here.

Emile M. Cioran

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 15:34
he's not... I could have told you that.

Time to DQ his album from the PA's album contest then!! Thumbs UpLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 15:40
we could do a contest, for people that can find 5 artists past the 90's on this site that are as innovative as the big 5 of the 70's. I am sure we can have some answers.

Emile M. Cioran

GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 15:43
So... by this same logic, Joe Bonamassa is not blues?
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 15:45
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

we could do a contest, for people that can find 5 artists past the 90's on this site that are as innovative as the big 5 of the 70's. I am sure we can have some answers.

I suppose one could come up with scores of them. Problem is most all of them are not likely to be on the radar of 'prog fan' as their music has evolved away from prog rock. Innovate means to progress.. and that means often progressing away from the cliched moth eaten stylistic norms of prog rock. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 15:46
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

So... by this same logic, Joe Bonamassa is not blues?

He is too young for that, he's making modern blues which is as bad as modern prog, says Mr. Wilson

Emile M. Cioran

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 16:15
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I suppose one could come up with scores of them. Problem is most all of them are not likely to be on the radar of 'prog fan' as their music has evolved away from prog rock. Innovate means to progress.. and that means often progressing away from the cliched moth eaten stylistic norms of prog rock. 

Yes, i agree, Prog Rock is only one genre related to all kind of Progressive Music, that's why Prog is associated with others genre, like jazz, folk, electronic etc.

Emile M. Cioran

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 17:11
He's prog rock in my book and Bonnamassa is blues in my book.
The idea that you have to be Muddy Waters to be called the blues or Yes to be called prog rock is
well.....stupid.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 17:15
Wilson has flip-flopped his views on what Prog is so many times, all most likely on a pretext of what he thinks will get him the most sales, that anything he says on the subject is to be taken as nonsens and not to be trusted.

Over the 10 years I've been on this site I've seen many, many threads on the subject of what Steven Wilson considers prog and the only thing I'm left wondering is why anyone gives this midocre musician and song writers opinion the time of day?
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 17:23
What is porg?

This is porg: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=porg

This is your brain on porg: DeadWacko
Magma America Great Make Again
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 17:24
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Wilson has flip-flopped his views on what Prog is so many times, all most likely on a pretext of what he thinks will get him the most sales, that anything he says on the subject is to be taken as nonsens and not to be trusted.

Over the 10 years I've been on this site I've seen many, many threads on the subject of what Steven Wilson considers prog and the only thing I'm left wondering is why anyone gives this midocre musician and song writers opinion the time of day?

This. So much this. Clap
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 17:29

for that...I'll almost forgive you for your past Yes comments LOLClap

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 18:08

Well... the press and fans make him bigger than he is, you make him smaller. Thus, it averages out, and whether or not he considered himself prog, and which of the 10,000 definitions of prog he has in mind is ir-elephant.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
DKoshino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 18:25
He changed of opinion after some years, isn't? At least, seems like he enjoys his title of "king of prog" by working so hard to make his music as proggy as possible. Also, he said something about being glad that there's more innovative bands such as The Mars Volta and Radiohead (also prog not-so-prog bands).

Whatever, I like the music, but he as a person I feel indifferent. I like to think about the fact that two of my favorite prog bands are Porcupine Tree and The Flower Kings (remember the argument Wilson and Stolt had?), so I can laugh at them staying together on my list.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 22:29

It's like some artists don't like to have  the tag "Progressive Rock" under their name like it was some kind of disease. They seems to think that Progressive is a limited genre. They should look at the PA database to see that there is more than only typical Prog here.

Agree and was thinking the same thing---I like his latest albums a great deal because it sounds like 5 or 6 of the greatest 70's prog bands. Yes he put his touch on the sound but still he may not think it's prog but he's stolen from the best prog.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 22:39
Every band will be placed in some genre. And every genre except the extreme boundaries of music will have a set example of what it is. Prog is no exception. I like Steven Wilson's 90s work and a bit of modern Porcupine Tree, but the man can have a superiority complex sometimes.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 23:00

If Wilson wanted to work to get him the most sales, he wouldn't have done an album like The Raven... nor Hand Cannon Erase, or Grace for Drowning for that matter.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 02:58
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

He's prog rock in my book and Bonnamassa is blues in my book.
The idea that you have to be Muddy Waters to be called the blues or Yes to be called prog rock is
well.....stupid.

Well said. Bonamassa is making some of the best blues ever made and some modern prog is up there with that from the 70s.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>