Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChris Squire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 17:05
Thanks Chris for many years of great music.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 17:10
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

Ar goll yn cyfieithu.

Mae'n ddrwg 'da fi. Dw i ddim yn deall.

Ni wnaeth efe.

Mae fy Saesneg wedi torri. Wink
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 17:19
And back to English . . . 
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 20:59
Welsh is so cool and so is Dali icons, but Chris Squire was Chris-t on bass 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 22:58

Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

We should all do something glorious in his honor.

Well, I am listening to Yes Live At House of Blues as I type this. I trust this is sufficiently glorious, unless, of course, you could make some glorious suggestions adequately glorious for this glorious purpose

Well said, Steve!  I suggest watching this, I forgot how jolly good this was!  I only wish the cameramen had focused more on Squire throughout the movie!  

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 09:05
The first album that I bought from my own money with 13 or so was Yessongs, used and on the flea market. Since then Yes accompanied me all my life. It feels now a bit like loosing a family member.

Last time I saw Chris Squire was last year May 27th in Berlin, where Yes played Close to the Edge, Going for the One and The Yes Album in full. It was a great performance. (Even if it was without Jon Anderson). They displayed the name of every title on the wall, which I thought was kind of funny.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 14:09
Back in 2001 (and during the summer before the towers were struck down), I was on a nighttime jog and listening to an FM talk show on the headphones when the host out of nowhere introduced Mr. Squire and Alan White to the show. They were in town for the Magnification tour at the Hollywood Bowl. After a brief chat with the two Yes men, the host opened the phone lines to questions from the call-in audience. I curtailed the regular route of my workout and hauled a%% home with the hope of calling in and being able to talk to one of my prog heroes. And I was successful! My question to Squire was whether or not Fish Out of Water would ever be released by a domestic record label (at the time, I believe, it was only available as a Japanese import). Squire quipped that Atlantic Records seemed presently a rap label, and that if I ever was feeling "flush," I should shell out the extra dough for the fine sounding import. I thanked him for his response and was then offered tickets for the show by the host. A slight exchange, sure, but I'll never forget Squire's warm, matter-of-fact candor in fielding my query. And the show, although starting out a little shaky, ended up being one of my favorite concerts ever.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 03:04
It really is sad news.  I knew of the diagnosis but didn't expect this to happen so quickly.  It seems as though almost every week we lose another "great".

Less than 12 months ago I saw Yes and Chris was in fantastic form.  He truly was a fabulous bassist and in my view THE most influential in progressive rock.

I've always been of the view that you must enjoy your life as much as you can, you never know what is round the corner.  It's fair to say Chris certainly made the most of his time - what a fabulous career he had.  He will be greatly missed.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 08:53
John Galgano of IZZ covered Silently Falling on piano at a show last year and posted this on their Facebook page.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 03 2015 at 08:54
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 17:03
May i add my own words of condolence and personal sadness on the the passing of this influential giant of the bass.. that chunky, funky, clunkering rickenbacker became such signature.. it was a few years back when i last saw Yes.. by some complete fluke my companion had managed to get front row seats and as i sat there looking straight up at Chris my first thought was 'my god a man his age and build shouldnt wear skin tight leggings and knee length boots'.. he just looked down at us, grinned and winked, turned round and wiggled his rear!! What a legend!! RIP Chris, i can here your bass in that approaching thunderstorm !!

PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 04:57
^He absolutely slayed on bass right up until the end. That guy didn't lose a single lick of skill. Amazing story!
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Lowend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 20:45
He inspired me to switch from 6 string to bass. I had never heard anything like it before. He got me hooked on prog before I new what it was called. My condolences to his family. He will be greatly missed.Cry 
Sunflower View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 08:08
Originally posted by Lowend Lowend wrote:

He will be greatly missed.Cry 

No doubt, I just listed him in my top 3 bassists, if not The best.
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Lowend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 08:40
Glad to see I'm not the only new member in here. I have been enjoying this site for the past 2 years and finally decided to register. I have discovered so many new bands from the reviews that my collection has expanded by leaps and bounds. I'm more into the symphonic prog than anything else although I have other genres in my collection. It will be nice to discuss prog with others who enjoy it. I don't really have anyone else to discuss it with. (I know I should never end a sentence with a preposition!)   
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 09:56

Glad to see I'm not the only new member in here. I have been enjoying this site for the past 2 years and finally decided to register. I have discovered so many new bands from the reviews that my collection has expanded by leaps and bounds. I'm more into the symphonic prog than anything else although I have other genres in my collection. It will be nice to discuss prog with others who enjoy it. I don't really have anyone else to discuss it with. (I know I should never end a sentence with a preposition!)   

You've come to the right place! I'm still picking up new bands and records that I never would have thought of checking out if it weren't for the people here Tongue.

Symphonic prog is my favorite, also. I'm assuming you play bass as well, Lowend? Smile
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Lowend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 12:42
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

You've come to the right place! I'm still picking up new bands and records that I never would have thought of checking out if it weren't for the people here Tongue.

Symphonic prog is my favorite, also. I'm assuming you play bass as well, Lowend? Smile
Lowend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 12:49
Yes, PrognosticMind. I do play bass but I'm kinda retired now. Haven't played in a band or even touched my bass in the last 2 1/2 years. I was in the same  local cover band for 11 staright years. The last 2 I did it solely for the money. I had to give it up due to boredom with what we were doing and I had some health problems which are much better now. I'm getting too old to be out that late. LOL! I'm also still trying to figure out how to use the site properly.
Lowend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 20:04
Originally posted by Sunflower Sunflower wrote:

He will be greatly missed.Cry 

No doubt, I just listed him in my top 3 bassists, if not The best.

Squire is my favorite. My close second is Jonas Reingold. I am also fond of Dave Meros, Steve Babb, Geddy Lee, John Entwhistle, Tont Levin and Justin Chancellor.
Sunflower View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 08:09
I'd have to put Entwistle, Squire and Jack Bruce up there, but there's a few more like Levin and Uriah Heep's bass man, Gary Thain deserve a mention.

- note, The bonus track "Why" from Demons & Wizards.

Edited by Sunflower - July 11 2015 at 08:12
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Lowend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 15:32
Originally posted by Sunflower Sunflower wrote:

I'd have to put Entwistle, Squire and Jack Bruce up there, but there's a few more like Levin and Uriah Heep's bass man, Gary Thain deserve a mention.

- note, The bonus track "Why" from Demons & Wizards.

Gary Thain. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. Bruce was good, too. It's nice to have so many good bassists to listen to.
Lost in trance of dances, as rhythm takes another turn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>