Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdvice/Ears Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice/Ears Needed
    Posted: June 28 2015 at 19:09
Hi Guys (and Gals),

I have been wanting to post this for some time, and I really need some advice. First, let me say that although I am asking people to listen to some of my music, I am not trying to solicit commentary about it. If you'd like to, great--I am always interested in that. But, what I am actually looking for is a simple "yes" or "no."

My life in the past 3 years has been really rough. So much so that I have been utterly prevented from working on music at all, with one exception lasting about a month. I won't go into details, but the personal challenges that have been affecting me have, I feel, seriously damaged my creative spark, and have made me question if I should be working on music in the first place.

I know I can get it back, because my drive to work on music is as strong as ever (if not somewhat transformed into a form of desperation). And to be honest I have never felt that I was supposed to be anything but a musician (and I'm totally at peace with the idea of having some day job, even though I'd like to support myself, however meagerly, with music). But, at this point, after feeling so defeated for so long--I have several projects of music that I am intensely proud of, but cant do anything about--I need to ask myself if I should keep going. This was never something that I had to ask myself before. During the year prior to the 3 years mentioned above, I often had to choose music over sleep. As you can imagine, the human body can only keep that up for so long.

The request I would like to make of the nice people involved in the PA forums is to help answer this: based on the demos at the soundcloud link provided below (I just took a random sampling of demos for different projects), do you think I should continue writing music, or would my time be better spent elsewhere?

I am not concerned with becoming a rock star or anything, but it does matter to me that someone somewhere would get something out of this music besides me. All I would like is an honest opinion on whether or not you think that is plausible. If you do, that gives me reason beyond my own desires to continue on. If not, I won't be offended. But since I write music for people who like to dissect music (like prog fans), the PA community seemed like the perfect group of people to give meaningful opinions.

the soundcloud playlist and profile I just set up for this is here: https://soundcloud.com/demosforreview/sets/what-should-i-do

The compositions are in no particular order. Also, I am not a good singer. Anything with singing would be an actual lead singer.

Thank you in advance for anyone willing to reply with a simple "yes" or "no."

Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 19:34
Yes.   Hell Yes. 

I like what I hear.  But of course that means nothing if you don't love it enough to do whether or not it is practical.  Since art so rarely pays off financially for regular people it really has to be worth it to you even if it is just a hobby.  Because yes, the hours spent doing it do come at the expense of other things.  One of those questions no one can really help you with my friend.  It's all in the gut. 
Smile

Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 20:06
Thank you, Finnforest. I appreciate your response.

You're right that it's a question no one can answer for me. I'm just looking for guidance where I can.

I definitely feel like I should, and I really want to. But I've just felt that the universe has been against me, coming from a lot of different angles.

Thank you again for replying. I appreciate it.

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 13:17
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Yes.   Hell Yes. 

I like what I hear.  But of course that means nothing if you don't love it enough to do whether or not it is practical.  Since art so rarely pays off financially for regular people it really has to be worth it to you even if it is just a hobby.  Because yes, the hours spent doing it do come at the expense of other things.  One of those questions no one can really help you with my friend.  It's all in the gut. 
Smile
Couldn't have said it better. 
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 14:11
Nick,

I know that a lot of plans we had fell apart because of these stressful several years you've been dealing with. Personally, I've had literally the worst year of my life since the start of 2015, losing everyone I worked on music with, being forced to trudge forward with massive amounts of unreleased material that can no longer be played live without those people involved. But, even if everyone hates it, I have to keep making it.

If you feel like you have to keep making it, even if everyone else hates it, then you have to keep making it. You will survive.

I know that personally the connection I made with you has determined that I am interested in listening to anything and everything that you send my way.

Please do not give up on music. I will not give up on music either. Let's keep going!!! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 16:46
irrelevant,

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it. Smile

Smurph (aka Gregoire Effinmustard Murfty),

Thank you for the message, man. I do feel I need to keep making music. I just didn't know if I was deluded thinking that I could write something of any quality. I'm glad I met you, because, as I have said a few times before, you seem to come from the same place philosophically as I do when it comes to making music.

Thank you for your encouragement, as it means a great deal to me.

What happened to your fellow Sentai members? The group you had in your most recent live videos was really tight. The drummer had energy, the bassist seemed timid but a great fit, and you and Scott were rocking it as usual. I'm really bummed to hear that things fell apart. Unhappy

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 19:06
Yes.

Listen: You can always choose to evolve and perfect your music regardless of the content of these demos (although I do quite like what's on some of them).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 29 2015 at 19:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 21:15
Thank you Dayvenkirq. I appreciate it. :)

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 11:25
Mighty fine stuff. Don't stop.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 11:04
Originally posted by Nick Dilley Nick Dilley wrote:

irrelevant,

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it. Smile

Smurph (aka Gregoire Effinmustard Murfty),

Thank you for the message, man. I do feel I need to keep making music. I just didn't know if I was deluded thinking that I could write something of any quality. I'm glad I met you, because, as I have said a few times before, you seem to come from the same place philosophically as I do when it comes to making music.

Thank you for your encouragement, as it means a great deal to me.

What happened to your fellow Sentai members? The group you had in your most recent live videos was really tight. The drummer had energy, the bassist seemed timid but a great fit, and you and Scott were rocking it as usual. I'm really bummed to hear that things fell apart. Unhappy

Nick... that's a long story for another day my friend. Hahah. But the band is not over. I am taking the helm and going hardcore- already got another album I'm going to finish up that is more varied than ever. Scott is taking a break from music to get married but he will be back. It'll be golden. Just had to deal with life for a moment.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 11:20
Nick: For what it's worth, use whatever emotions that are eating you, doubts included, to make music. Use it as a tool to siphon the negatives out of your system. Let the emotions take form. If someone else finds the end result to be interesting or not is irrelevant really, as long as you can use music as a tool for yourself.

As someone who listen to music as a tool, perhaps because I don't have the skills to create myself nor the patience needed to acquire those skills, that would be my general advice to anyone, but in particular to those who create music and are going through troubled or challenging times on one plane or another.

Personally I lack the imagination to imagine what these tracks might sound like in a finished form, but among the ones I sampled there were quite a few that came across as compelling in their current state, so I would imagine that there would be people finding enjoyment in this music if they came across it.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:18
Thank you, Hackettfan. It means a lot to me.

Smurph, yeah, sorry to ask about it in such a public arena. It would be great to connect again and talk about whatever/maybe think about collaborating again!

Windhawk, I appreciate your take on things. I have a similar perspective on things. It just got to the point where I wondered if it would kill me to pursue something that I am passionate about, because the issue hasn't been music hurting me--it was/is something that has been trying to prevent me from creating, and that was a profoundly painful experience. Thank you for your reply. :-)

If anyone is interested, after reading this thread and having a throwdown about the biggest issue surrounding my troubles (with the source of those troubles), I have decided to keep going.

I just want you guys to know that I SINCERELY appreciate your kind words of support. Thank you so much.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:20
Oh, and Smurph, the Sentai obviously could not be in better hands than yours!

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 23:49
Sounds very good, but I don't think the quality of the tunes says so much as your professed desire to continue. If you want to write music, go for it. Musical identity crises can yield artistic renewal like few things can. Your concern that others might not "get something" out of your music is not a bad one to have. With that concern, I've often learned to focus my efforts better– to create music like a human trying to communicate something to humans, whatever that means for me, whether it be complex or simple music, pop melodics or harsh noise. Whenever I've had to question my identity as a musician, I've always found ways to express myself better, and I think you'll experience that too. 

Also, you're voice isn't bad, at least on the clips I heard. Obviously pitch corrected– ideally, you wouldn't want to have to do that– but not bad sonically. Consider working on them and using them. I often encounter bands that hire singers who are technically proficient, but whose vocal acrobatics become more of a wall than a means of expression. If you do hire a singer, make sure they can engage listeners and bring attention to the lyrics, as well as you could, as the writer. There's a reason why a lot of the best frontmen write their own lyrics. 

UPDATE: It looks like my comment is a bit late. Sorry about that. I'm glad you've decided to continue, though! 

Edited by Polymorphia - July 05 2015 at 23:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 12:31
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Also, you're voice isn't bad, at least on the clips I heard. Obviously pitch corrected– ideally, you wouldn't want to have to do that– but not bad sonically. Consider working on them and using them.

UPDATE: It looks like my comment is a bit late. Sorry about that. I'm glad you've decided to continue, though! 

Well, I am always working on my voice. I definitely wouldn't want to pitch correct in a final product.

Better late than never. It still means a great deal to me. Thank you, Polymorphia. Smile

Dik*Hed-Radio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 00:06
There were 2 songs that stuck out for me... I'm more of an ambient guy so 'Weeds' and then my favorite was probably 'quiet section from in the veins of adventure'. I feel they kept a steady flow of emotion and had me engaged throughout the whole song. Only thing that threw me off were the drums at the very end of 'quiet....'

I think your music shows promise in a lot of respects and that you should continue to explore where it might take you!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 22:33
Originally posted by Dik*Hed-Radio Dik*Hed-Radio wrote:

There were 2 songs that stuck out for me... I'm more of an ambient guy so 'Weeds' and then my favorite was probably 'quiet section from in the veins of adventure'. I feel they kept a steady flow of emotion and had me engaged throughout the whole song. Only thing that threw me off were the drums at the very end of 'quiet....'

I think your music shows promise in a lot of respects and that you should continue to explore where it might take you!

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah the drum fill would sound a bit jarring there. It's a transition into the next section of the piece (not in that clip).

Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

Growingart View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2015 at 02:16
Yes. I hope you have continued. Judging from the music, I think there is focus on melody and emotion. That comes from you. Whatever you have been through, I would guess creating music gives you some sort of release. I like these pieces, there is a core of sensitivity in there.
Progressiv rock | IN EXPERIENCE PROJECT
www.inexperienceproject.com
www.youtube.com/inexperienceproject
www.growingrecords.se
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 23:00
Thanks Growingart, it means a lot to hear that. Smile