Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSimiliar albums to Eloy - Ocean

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similiar albums to Eloy - Ocean
    Posted: June 28 2015 at 23:34
Hello fellow proggers I am new to the forum and this is my first message so please tell me if I break any rules or something Tongue

Im looking for similiar albums to Eloy's Ocean, something that is spacey but is also intresting. Most of the space rock I tried was just boring rock with some "space" effects...

Some directions for you (I hope it's not too much, I am kind of a picky guy): only 60's-70's bands, don't bother reccommending known bands (like nektar for example) and please only relevant stuff Smile

Thanks in advance!
Jeth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 12:43
Hi Jinx!
I'd recommend you such bands as Minotaurus, Agamemnon, Trilogy
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 13:37
Hi and welcome. You might try Novalis, another German band from the seventies.
I remember Banished Bridge being very good.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 14:36
Perhaps mid-period Jane - Between Heaven And Hell is very good, features original Eloy keyboardist Manfred Weiczorke.
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 05:31
Ocean with its Poseidon's Cration - delicious indeed! When it comes to those un-boring albums suggestions with a bit awkward vocals and lush "space" synthesisers, I personally would recommend the Monarch Trail's début and self titled album. It starts with Luminescence and what a great start it is! But I cannot formally recommend it on second thought, as they're neither from 60s nor 70s. They still are worth a try, I'm sure, and their album is a really good effort. Give'em a try if you didn't have a chance to check them out yet.
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 07:12
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 08:19
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

4 German bands:

Novalis - Sommerabend

I'll second those, especially Amenophis and Anyone's Daughter.  Also someone mentioned Minotaurus and I concur, as with Jane "Between Heaven and Hell".   Another band that comes to mind is Madison Dyke whose sole album was from 1977.  Other one-offs from that period (there are so many!) are Tibet, Troya and Epidaurus (well, the latter did a reunion album in early 1990s which is best forgotten).  A lot of people like the sole album by Ivory called "Sad Cypress" but I couldn't get into it.  So much out there, although nothing is quite like Eloy
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 08:26
Possibly this one:

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 08:28
Yep I agree about the Minotaurus and Jane albums too (even if I prefer the Jane debut). Oh and the former's cover art comes with a willy!

Edit: I just checked and it hasn't been censured yetApprove

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 09 2015 at 08:29
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 09:30
I was a huge Eloy fan as a teenager but not really anymore. Still I believe that they were pretty unique and top of the pack in what they were doing, so it's difficult to find similar things that are worthy. In their reviews there are a number of references to Pink Floyd but I don't think these are really appropriate. They used some musical ideas from elsewhere (quite a few actually) but produced a very individual blend. Novalis and Anyone's Daughter are probably much too "down to earth"; I wonder why many think that these are "similar to Eloy". In my mind, in terms of the atmosphere and the specific qualities that one could find in "Ocean" and the best work of Eloy, Yes's Relayer comes next, although by this I obviously break the rule: "don't bother reccommending known bands".
To mention something slightly less known, if you're fine with instrumental, you can try out SFF's "Symphonic Pictures". (Actually these days I'd prefer both Symphonic Pictures and Relayer to Ocean, but that's probably because I listened to so much Eloy in the past that I've somehow ruined them for me.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 09:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I was a huge Eloy fan as a teenager but not really anymore. Still I believe that they were pretty unique and top of the pack in what they were doing, so it's difficult to find similar things that are worthy. In their reviews there are a number of references to Pink Floyd but I don't think these are really appropriate. They used some musical ideas from elsewhere (quite a few actually) but produced a very individual blend. Novalis and Anyone's Daughter are probably much too "down to earth"; I wonder why many think that these are "similar to Eloy". In my mind, in terms of the atmosphere and the specific qualities that one could find in "Ocean" and the best work of Eloy, Yes's Relayer comes next, although by this I obviously break the rule: "don't bother reccommending known bands".
To mention something slightly less known, if you're fine with instrumental, you can try out SFF's "Symphonic Pictures". (Actually these days I'd prefer both Symphonic Pictures and Relayer to Ocean, but that's probably because I listened to so much Eloy in the past that I've somehow ruined them for me.)

I actually prefer Anyone's Daughter to Eloy - the string of albums they made from 1979-1983, when prog was practically dead, is really impressive.  I do think the Adonis suite does conjure up Eloy a bit but also KC and Genesis.  But you are right that they were more down to earth - still, if you like Eloy there is a good chance you will like AD.  SFF were much more of a fusion, but definitely worth mentioning.  Re Jane, I could also add "Fire, Water, Earth and Air" to those that approximate Eloy in spaciness
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 10:25
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I actually prefer Anyone's Daughter to Eloy - the string of albums they made from 1979-1983, when prog was practically dead, is really impressive.  I do think the Adonis suite does conjure up Eloy a bit but also KC and Genesis.  But you are right that they were more down to earth - still, if you like Eloy there is a good chance you will like AD.  SFF were much more of a fusion, but definitely worth mentioning.  Re Jane, I could also add "Fire, Water, Earth and Air" to those that approximate Eloy in spaciness

OK, yes, actually Adonis from Anyone's Daughter makes sense to me here; not much of their other stuff, though. (I like them a lot, too, but for reasons very different to my former passion for Eloy.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 10:34

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

OK, yes, actually Adonis from Anyone's Daughter makes sense to me here; not much of their other stuff, though. (I like them a lot, too, but for reasons very different to my former passion for Eloy.)

I didn't mean to put down Eloy.  I mean, they had several albums that to me are better than any single album that AD did, but AD was operating in a difficult environment for that style, and did remarkably well.   If you get the most recent remasters, you get two live bonus cuts on the Adonis album that are both epic length and very good.  Also, almost impossible to find is their "Last Tracks" album which has never been issued on CD.  It contained mostly horrible stuff but two long tracks from the late 1970s that make the whole album worth it, and could also be of interest to Eloy fans.  they are "Ma Cheri Marquise de Sade", which is a fusion instrumental, and "Window Pain", which is more in the style of Adonis.

Edited by kenethlevine - November 09 2015 at 10:35
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 18:13
Omega's albums "Idorablo", "Csillagok utjan" and "Gammapolisz", great Hungarian space rock from the same period. As a long time Eloy fan, I was very thrilled after discovering them. Also, Ain Soph had some tracks that remind me of Eloy, especially on their debut "A Story of a Mysterious Forest", although they're mostly instrumental.

...And here's aforementioned Jane with former Eloy keyboard player Manfred Wieczorke at their spaciest:

Nicky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 16:43
 Post Reply Post Reply