Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChris Squire's Place in Electric Bass History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Where Does Chris Squire Stand in Electric Bass History?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
8 [9.88%]
21 [25.93%]
34 [41.98%]
17 [20.99%]
1 [1.23%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chris Squire's Place in Electric Bass History
    Posted: June 29 2015 at 15:50
With the untimely and incredibly sad passing of "The Fish" I began wondering how other PA members see Chris regarding his place in electric bass history?  

Since the very 1st electric fretted bass guitar was created and sold in 1935 by Seattle musician and inventor Paul Tutmarc (The Audiovox Model 736 Bass Fiddle), and Leo Fender introduced the 1st mass produced electric bass in 1951 (The Fender Precision), hundreds of thousands of musicians have picked up the instrument hoping to make their mark.  Chris obviously did a lot more than just "make his mark", so where does he stand among the legions of bass players ?

Please remember, this is not a popularity poll about whether Chris is your favorite bassist, but a poll to gauge where people think his legacy has left him in the history of the instrument.

(Shot I took at The Oakland Arena 10/7/78)

RIP FISH
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 15:52
What? No listing for underrated?

The best ever.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 15:55
top 10 of all time.. while by far the greatest prog bassist...

He falls out of the top 5 in pretty much most reasonable bassists view IMO behind these 5.

James Jamerson
John Entwistle
Paul McCartney
Jack Bruce
Larry Graham

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 16:00
^I'm sure sentimentality had a lot to do with my pick, but I'll go with it for today. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 16:05
Well I can't think of a better prog bass player so I'll go with that.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 16:32
he certainly is one of top ten bass players of all time. I listened Fragile few hours ago just to remind me what was it that opened my door to prog music.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 16:39
I went "Top 3 of all time" ranking him between Paul McCartney and John Wetton.  I'm not into jazz or fusion so I'm really coming from a traditional rock/prog point of view.  For me, at the height of their careers I believe all 3 took the bass to places it hadn't gone before in both tone and melodic approach.  Macca for bringing the bass out of the thump-thump-thump-tonic-to-5th-to-tonic shadows exploiting it's possibilities as a melodic instrument.  Squire who built upon Macca's melodic approach and brought the intensity up several notches with a tone that could not be ignored (partly thanks to his implementation of Rickenbackers "Rick-O-Sound" stereo output feature) and an advanced understanding of music theory which took the bass center stage and in a very bright spotlight.  Wetton; both for what Fripp used to call his "muscular" approach (a product of volume and distortion) and his improvisational abilities.  Wetton really earned his spot at #3 for me in a very short timeframe of his Crimso work which just hit my sweet spot dead center.

I'm with SteveG in that I'm inclined to rank Squire #1 of all time because of today's announcement but I've tempered my opinion and put him top 3 instead Wink

In honor of the day, it's ALL YES ALL DAY in my house!  So here's another shot I got, this one from the Drama tour at the SF Cow Palace sometime in the fall of 1980.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 16:56
Top 5 feels right, possibly top three, but certainly no less than 5th.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 17:08
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I went "Top 3 of all time" ranking him between Paul McCartney and John Wetton.  I'm not into jazz or fusion so I'm really coming from a traditional rock/prog point of view.  For me, at the height of their careers I believe all 3 took the bass to places it hadn't gone before in both tone and melodic approach.  Macca for bringing the bass out of the thump-thump-thump-tonic-to-5th-to-tonic shadows exploiting it's possibilities as a melodic instrument.  Squire who built upon Macca's melodic approach and brought the intensity up several notches with a tone that could not be ignored (partly thanks to his implementation of Rickenbackers "Rick-O-Sound" stereo output feature) and an advanced understanding of music theory which took the bass center stage and in a very bright spotlight.  Wetton; both for what Fripp used to call his "muscular" approach (a product of volume and distortion) and his improvisational abilities.  Wetton really earned his spot at #3 for me in a very short timeframe of his Crimso work which just hit my sweet spot dead center.

I'm with SteveG in that I'm inclined to rank Squire #1 of all time because of today's announcement but I've tempered my opinion and put him top 3 instead Wink

In honor of the day, it's ALL YES ALL DAY in my house!  So here's another shot I got, this one from the Drama tour at the SF Cow Palace sometime in the fall of 1980.

This is beautifully argued. Don't know that I could add much to it.

Outside the big contenders, like Entwistle, Bruce, Pastorius and Lee, I also think of someone like Peter Hook (yeah, yeah, not prog), from Joy Division/New Order. His playing just popped out and shocked me the first time I heard it. And in many ways, he carried on that McCartney/Squire tradition of using the bass to melodic ends.

The bass player who has most amazed me recently is Philippe Bussonnet, who was playing with Magma when I got to see them earlier this year. 
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 17:40
He's definitely top 10 rock and that's saying a lot because there are some great rock bass players.  The competition gets a little stiff when you move into the realm of fusion but in rock, Squire can hold his own with any body.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 18:05
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

He's definitely top 10 rock and that's saying a lot because there are some great rock bass players.  The competition gets a little stiff when you move into the realm of fusion but in rock, Squire can hold his own with any body.

no doubt man.. draw me a list of 20 and the talent level will be negliable.. probably could go much farther.

when you to talking alltime greats.. it really comes down to influence and innovation.

I love Squire.. sh*t man. .we all do. but compared to the top 5.. many of which influenced Squire directly..  he simply don't fit.

Jamerson simply defined prog rock bass playing  ie melodic bass (lead bass) playing. in a comletely unrelated field of music by... being the first.. by far the most famous thus the one everyone heard and said.. wtf is that ..and WHO is that playing ...

and by being the prime and MAJOR  influence on all three of the English bass masters... Entwistle Bruce and McCartney who 'popularized' in a purely 'rock' context the notion of lead or heavily melodic bass playing. 
Larry Graham.. the single greatest innovator on the bass since. well..   ever?

Squre?  Love the man.. the body of work speaks to itself but that is merely a refinement of his influences.. and those infuences had and continue to have a more far reaching impact than Squires. Top 10 is a good place for him but no way he tops any of the top 5. Personally I had him ranked at 7.  Jack Casady in front of him who explored the more  technical side of the bass guitar. thus giving us... Alembic basses. which was a whole 'nother revolution in bass playing. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
DaleHauskins View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 18:32

I was the Los Angeles guitarist of a Lucerne Switzerland progressive rock band called Flame Dream;our dear bassist Urs Hochuli was very inspired,influenced by Mr.Chris Squire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52-YiwokMO0
http://www.musicianspage.com/musicians/DaleHauskins/videofile/2038/
Dale Hauskins
(858) 401-2973
(310) 293-0432
https://artistecard.com/Dalehauskins

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 18:49
Love his playing and that fat as shoelaces sound. I'd say he's better than most, but yeah Percy Jones, Eberhard Weber, James Jamerson (good call Micky), Jack Bruce, The Ox, Bernard Paganotti, Les Claypool etc etc and I'm purposely leaving out all the jazz greats. Charles Mingus anyone? (Whoops not really an electric bassist)

Btw I listened to The Yes Album earlier today in memorance of monsieur Squire, and it was every bit as wonderful as I remembered it to be. Fantastic bassist.

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 29 2015 at 19:15
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 19:13
In the top 10 of all time, he was such an importance and influence on so many players, including my fave bassist, Triumvirat's Helmut Koellen, who played a mean Rickenbacher with a no holds barred sound.
                  Some of my other top 10 bassists are fusion guys like Passport's Wolfgang Schmid and Colosseum's Mark Clarke.
                   And I also really admire Eloy's founding bass player Wolfgang Stocker.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 19:23
running a monolog.. because it is what I am good at.

now there is talent..  then there is creativity... talent without creativity..  gives you something that impresses but leaves no lasting impression (ummm much of 70's Fusion for me)..  creativity without talent.. gives you.. smucks like us.

creativity is where Squire shined... perhaps more than almost all of the bassists above him, or likely far below him. Amazing.. AMAZING stuff.  Anyone can play it, hell we can. To create it.. now that is a special ability. Has nothing to do with bass playing though.. that is the mark of a great musician and through his bass..I'd rank Squire perhaps equal to McCartney and only below Jamerson for what he created through his instrument.

Edited by micky - June 29 2015 at 19:24
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 20:08
Top 3 in rock top 10 of all time--I like jazz so that comes into play.
Here's to you ChirsBeer
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 21:11
Percy Jones is the most underrated bassist and one of the greatest I've ever heard. Squire is pretty damn impressive, though. Perhaps McCartney is more influential, but my brain has a hard time accepting anyone's argument that Sir Paul's bass playing outshines Mr. Squire.
PROGMATIC
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 01:27
Objectively, I don't know. I felt like Squire being in the top 10 a good idea. 
I'm sure there are many excellent electric bass players, but Squire's style was unique, so for me he deserves a place in the top 10. 

Subjectively, he's no doubt my favorite bass player. There are bass players who are not upfront, more supportive, but who are very important for the music nevertheless, and I think that is very good, but I loved Squire for being so present in the sound, with his heavy, thundering bass. I liked the fact that he was not hiding in the music. 

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 02:19
John Entwistle (RIP)

Chris Squire (RIP)

Stanley Clarke
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 02:50
Better than most, not top ten by my reckoning, though. Still a great loss, and while his bass playing itself may not have been top ten quality, his ensemble playing and writing abilities were a big plus. As I'm voting purely on bass ability, though...not top ten.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>