Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs RPI sung in English - really RPI?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is RPI sung in English - really RPI?
    Posted: June 29 2015 at 22:36

i dont think so. As a big fan of RPI as well [BTW Italia and ex-Yugoslavia were neighbouring and pretty friendly countries especially after Osimo agreements in 1975], i could accept that caprice of some of RPI bands who were recorded some songs or even the whole album in English, its OK although then its an inelegant RPI, but a marriage of whole catalogue with English language actually disqualified any Italian band for that sublime RPI categorie - then its just another symphonic prog, eclectic prog, etc., what could be [and very often it is] great stuff but then its not RPI at all IMHO. 

Whats your opinion?
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 05:48
Difficult to say, with the classic bands they would inarguably be still part of RPI, which I gather was as much a regional movement as a full fledged music style, though I don't think there were any who sang solely in English though.

With modern bands it's much harder to say, but I'd be inclined to agree with you but I'd hope there was more to it than that, the classic Itaian bands had something about there sound beyond singiong in their native language that separated them from the English, German, French etc groups. I'm not at all well versed on modern symphonic bands, too many of those that I have sampled have come across as being a little bit sterile, but if this distinction still hilds true then I'd say it was more important than the language the singer used. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 05:57
There are some (by that, I mean a few) examples of English vocal RPI bands that still manage to convincingly come across as the `real deal', but you're right, singing in Enlgish does rob the music of a very vital factor of the identity of RPI.

RPI is not simply `prog rock sung in Italian'....done properly, the Italian vocals are a specific theatrical, passionate characteristic itself of the music.

Given the current industry, modern RPI bands would be very unwise to attempt to use English as a way to try and break big into international markets - it's simply NOT going to happen. Apart from that, often when they sing in English, the results are dreadful - pained, forced delivery of a language they're not totally comfortable with.

Besides...I think the `faithful' RPI followers consider it a bit insulting when those bands sing in English. It instantly lessens the band in their eyes...

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 30 2015 at 05:58
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 06:08
^Very nicely put my friend. I was going to say something similar:)
The Italian ingredient - that is the essence of the RPI sound - doesn't necessarily have to come from the vocals, although I vastly prefer that. The music surrounding the vocals is often what takes you directly into the heartland of pasta.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 06:21
Very few of the original RPI bands sang in English. At that time, foreign language proficiency wasn't exactly common in Italy. The only example I can think of at the moment are Cherry Five, who were basically Goblin under a different name. Musically, their debut album is great, but the vocals (in heavily accented English) are definitely the weakest point.  Funnily enough, their new album - released after 39 years - is all in Italian, and inspired by the quintessential Italian literary work, Dante's Divine Comedy. In some ways, this is a recognition of the importance of the Italian language for the whole RPI scene.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 06:29
Acqua Fragile and Ibis also spring to mind, but yeah the RPI groups taking the English route are far and between.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 06:32
Well, if we look at Premiata Forneria Marconi as a 'case study', it's also interesting.

They started out as a purely Italian singing band.
Then there were Italian sung albums and parallel to it English sung albums. I didn't like the Italian songs being sung in English. Listened to The World Became The World once: never again.
But... they were also doing songs in English alone, with no Italian counterparts. "Is My Face On Straight" from L'Isola Di Niente, and then they turned full English before turning Italian again.

For me: I really like Chocolate Kings. Maybe not their best album, but I still like it a lot. It is sung in English, but for me it is still RPI. 

But maybe if they went full English from the beginning on, I wouldn't be really be considering it RPI. So the funny thing is: the context does make a difference. For me at least.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 06:33
OK, controversial ponderings time!

Consider, if you will, the English-language versions of albums like Le Orme's `Felona', Maxophone, parts of some Osanna albums, the New Trolls `Concerto Grosso' etc, and the first several PFM albums (up unto, say, `Jet Lag')...

I have no doubt that, especially in the case of the PFM albums, those English versions were some of the first Italian prog albums that many worldwide listeners ever heard...

Should they be given credit for being the introduction many people had to some of these bands?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 06:37
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Acqua Fragile and Ibis also spring to mind, but yeah the RPI groups taking the English route are far and between.

Indeed, Acqua Fragile were able to pull it off because Lanzetti was familiar with English. New Trolls tried the English-language route with Searching for a Land, which was a flop (though I bought it at the timeWink), and led to the band splitting up.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 06:39
Oh yes the mighty Trolls!! I completely forgot about that one. Not a fan though. I prefer the offshoot that made Tempi Dispari. Great space fusion or something to that effect.

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 07:56
I agree with Marcel, after knowing the Italian versions it's impossible for me to like the English ones, and I also like Chocolate Kings. If there are two versions I always pick the Italian one and if there's only in English and the instrumental is great I can easily tolerate the vocals, although it diminishes the music IMO. I'm thinking of Cherry Five and Psycho Praxis, in this case. It's great that the new Cherry Five album is in Italian though Smile
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 08:22
I was only able to find the English Banco album (other than listening on streaming sites) and honestly I still love it!

For me, even things sung in English seem to only sound like syllables to me anyway.

That one PFM album is not that great imo, and generally most of the RPI i like is sung in Italian but I feel that the musical and melodic characteristics is what makes RPI so great. 
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 08:43
Out english ! Wink

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 09:05
^ I hope miss Italy kicked the right butt. LOL
Don't tell me that English looks like Berlusconi Smile
Isa View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 16:41
I wouldn't say so. If the style of the music is still RPI, I fail to see how the language of the album would disqualify the album from the style, because I don't think language is quintessential to the definition of a music style.

Even if you lapped English lyrics to Mariachi, the music is still Mexican music. I feel the same way with RPI.
The human heart instrinsically longs for that which is true, good, and beautiful. This is why timeless music is never without these qualities.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 17:24
Yes.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
ginodi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 17:45
RPI is my favorite genre, and as Raff said, Cherry Five is the one I can name the quickest as being sung in English (quite accented). There are others, but I prefer them to sing in Italian because I can understand it, and something just doesn't sound right any other way--perhaps a lot gets lost in translation. 

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 21:42
For me personally... Italian vox are requisite for my RPI shelf.  There are several key sound components I associate with good RPI but the vocals would be the single most important one of those to me.  Warm flowing phrases and boisterous operatic voice compared to too-oft poorly utilized English? It's just a non-starter. I have some Italian prog with vocals that are just cringeworthy because of the English.  And it's not just the often commented upon accents that are the biggest problem, but the understanding of words and phrases, the timing and pronunciations, the flow.  I'm honestly not trying to trash in a mean way those singers who choose to use English because they think it will appeal to greater numbers.....but I'm also just not interested in hearing it anymore.  Not when there is so much rich RPI with very high quality Italian language vocals to be had, both old and new.  You could spend a lifetime trying to hear it all.  Once you fall in love with the language it becomes another fine instrument in the band and quite essential even for those of us who are non-Italian speakers. 

I encourage people new to Italian prog to get past their difficulty with the language (assuming they find it hard to appreciate initially) and stick with it.  It will eventually click and I guarantee it will reward you down the road.  Sometimes it takes time to appreciate the best of anything.  I likewise encourage Italian bands to reject English and use your first language, your mastery of it will make your album more appealing in the long haul.   

Edited by Finnforest - June 30 2015 at 22:07

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 22:41
I agree with what's being said here about RPI sounding better with Italian vocals and that is also
my preference. To me, the key word is sound because I do not understand Italian.
It was mentioned that the Italian language can be very passionate and that's true. It can also be very
intense when the song needs it to be.
But that passion and intensity isn't in the words, it's in the sound that the vocalist creates.
The Italian language brings those emotions to a song better than most other languages do.
Maybe the words are about emotions but if you don't understand the language then the sound is all
you have to go by.
That wasn't really the original question though. 
Is RPI in English really RPI?
What about a prog fan that doesn't speak Italian or English?
I'm not sure the original question can be answered that easily.
As in most discussions like this, it boils down to individual taste and preference. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 23:53
Let's imagine that an English Symphonic rock band, old or new doesn't metter, are recording their songs in Italian language. That assumed English Symphonic rock band are gonna be tagged as RPI. Or maybe not?

Edited by Svetonio - July 01 2015 at 00:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>