Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMartin Turner Event Sept 5th

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Turner Event Sept 5th
    Posted: June 30 2015 at 06:44
Martin Turner (ex Wishbone Ash) and his band are playing an all day event at "Under The Bridge" a venue at Chelsea Football Club on Sept 5th 2015. Former Wishbone Ash members Ted Turner and Laurie Wisefield will also be there, and it is possible that former drummer Steve Upton could also turn up. The event is timed to coincide with the release of the first CD of new music by Martin since 1995. Anyone interested can find details on the Facebook page "Martin Turner, founding original member of Wishbone Ash" and tickets can be purchased via www.martinturnermusic.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 01:42
That would something to see !!
I just acquired a neat vinyl of No Smoke Without Fire just last night. As I had to get up for work at 4:00 am I never got to give it a spin, only clean it.
Well, it just so happens I've plonked it on the TT for my first spin.
Let you know the verdict in 40-odd minutes.......
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 02:41
No Smoke is my favourite of the Mark II albums, Tom. Hope you enjoy it.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 03:00
^ Yes Alan, I did !!!
It sports a great production job from D.L. from the outset. Just love this clear, solid sound. A great 1978 release, no doubt.
I wouldn't skip a beat on it. I did notice the 'red-neck' lyrics on Stand And Deliver, but the music/playing is great.
The weaker track for me would have to be Like A Child. Side 1 is consistent as all-hell (Ships In The Sky especially) and the final epic The Way Of The World is my favourite. Here I noticed some, almost Van Der Graaf-ian diminished runs, which add so much to their Prog nods, but, overall, not a much weaker album than There's The Rub. I'm glad I made this choice. I'm very curious with the album with John Wetton, and the instrumental album Nouveau Calls........
I did love the M.T. Wishbone gig I caught 2 years ago and can recommend them to anyone.
I, still, however, just adore the debut.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 03:31
Glad you like it, Tom. I think getting Derek Lawrence back was a masterstroke. Interestingly, I love Like A Child but feel that Ships In The Sky is the weakest track. I guess we're all different..... The CD of No Smoke is worth hearing, it has a couple of excellent songs that never made it onto the vinyl, plus 3 very good live tracks (two of which were included on a free single which came with the album back in 78 - I don't suppose you got one with your copy?).

You will find Nouveau Calls interesting - I like it but most of it is very different to other WA material. It's also a bit "dated" as it has the 1980s synth sounds throughout. As for Number The Brave, I never rated it apart from the title track, but give it a spin if you can find it - you may feel differently. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 05:11
Thanks for the heads-up.
You ought to know that I'm immune to 80's sounds/production (I love Kajagoogoo, for all they're worth - Nick Beggs is an EXTRAORDINARY Bassist......) so I may go for these era Wishbone albums.
I'm just glad that the off-chance decision proved fruitful. I did read your 4 star review of the album. Allow me more time with it - for me, a solid 3.5 rate. As soon as I assessed the cover-art, I knew it was from the late-70's Hipgnosis camp (Brand X' Product, comes to mind).
 Post Reply Post Reply