Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why did Roger Waters never get beyond The Wall?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy did Roger Waters never get beyond The Wall?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 15:58
Prog magazine features as its lead album review the newly remastered Amused To Death, and it is a very sharp and insightful review, as well. It rightly says that Waters has, to a very large degree, been utterly vindicated in retrospect of his worldview of a civilisation in a bit of crisis, very much trampled upon by politicians, the establishment, corporate bullies, and, of course, a media which dumbs us down to the level of gorillas merely flicking endlessly between endless channels of sh*t.

I will not get this cd, given that I already have the vinyl and original cd versions. Mr Waters has had a fair few quid off of me over the years, but, for those curious about the man and his post Floyd legacy, this supreme album is the place to go.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 16:21
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Maybe because Waters thought that his fellow bandmates were lesser than him? The Final Cut was basically just a solo album.
Final cut was brilliant and fact is after Waters left, their last two albums were not nearly as good.
I disagree. I think Momentary Lapse was excellent and Division Bell better than both of the previous two combined. Endless River was alright, but it seemed to have too much filler. 

In my opinion stylistically Final Cut was superior. It had more tone and a discernible theme just like the Wall did. But the playing wasn't as good as the albums that followed. Momentary Lapse had more creative energy, and while people will call it a Gilmour album it felt more free than Final Cut did. Division Bell's combined both the creativity of Lapse and with even better playing.

Edited by aglasshouse - July 05 2015 at 16:28
http://fryingpanmedia.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 16:37

Maybe because Waters thought that his fellow bandmates were lesser than him? The Final Cut was basically just a solo album.

Final cut was brilliant and fact is after Waters left, their last two albums were not nearly as good.

I disagree. I think Momentary Lapse was excellent and Division Bell better than both of the previous two combined. Endless River was alright, but it seemed to have too much filler. 

In my opinion stylistically Final Cut was superior. It had more tone and a discernible theme just like the Wall did. But the playing wasn't as good as the albums that followed. Momentary Lapse had more creative energy, and while people will call it a Gilmour album it felt more free than Final Cut did. Division Bell's combined both the creativity of Lapse and with even better playing.

You are spot on about the playing on Final Cut. The fact was that Waters was the only one of the three of them who cared at all about the album, which he wanted to release as a solo effort originally. Gilmore and Mason hated every second of it, and it quite clearly showed in the final product.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 22:34
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Everyone , I'm sure, is aware of the break of Roger Waters with Pink Floyd after the album The Final Cut. He was still the same songwriter, but his following solo albums suffered in sales and, generally, were not well received by Floyd fans. Why?
And as for the albums produced by Pink Floyd after Water's departure, they were no longer biting concept pieces with brilliant lyrics. Why were they still so popular and sold in the millions?

my first guess is that Waters is not really as rich as the rest of Floyd, because Floyd was rather broke by the time of the early 80's (when he was ejected by some rather scandalous court decision) ... I mean, he spent years saving the Floyd ship  all alone (Mason was racng his cars, Wright having a nervous breakdown) and Gilmour almost doing diddley/squat), and when he wanted to close the ship, it was still afloat, but not doing great.

However despite two very weak albums (the atrocious AMLOR and the slightly better TDB >> with High Hopes to save it), money started rolling in like mad  (mega-tours sponsored by multi-nationa firms)... And Waters didn't get hus fair share, despite doing all the groundwork in the bad years.

Soooooooo, it's only natural that he scurries and exploits The Wall as much as he can....

But saying he never got beyond the wall is a big travesty of the truth.... but the public won't have much to do with his solo stuff (Amused to Death is brilliant)

BTW: Roger said recently that he's halfway done with his next solo album, foreseen for release  in roughly 18 months.

In which way would you say Waters was saving the Pink Floyd Flagship for so long. The band became huge with Dark Side and Wish you were Here, which were perfectly collaborative efforts. Even Animals still isn't so Roger driven (given that Dogs was mostly a Gilmour song, and that one is almost half the album... and mostly the best loved song on it. And then there's The Wall, which indeed was mainly a Roger thing and didn't have the same involvement from the band (still, from listening to the demos, I belive that if Gilmour hadn't been there to give his opinions and views, the album would have been notoriously weaker), and it was indeed a very succesful album. However, I understand the reason Pink Floyd was broke by the time Roger was out of the band, is because of the tour of The Wall, which was too big and expensive and was presented to few times to recover the money invested... so in the end, it would be Roger's fault, mainly, that the band was broke (and Rick came out of it without problems because he was already out of the band, so perhaps Roger did him a favor by firing him... at least financially).
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 03:52

to be honest I do not know any album David Gilmour released outside Pink Floyd never interested me to be honest. However, I do know, love and own two albums Roger Waters made after that tho' Smile
Gilmour's 77 debut has ot some very decent tracks (so did Wright's Wet Dreazms, released around that time), but it's clear that both were missing Water's i,nput than Roger missed their inputs

Floyd was like The Beatles... the sum of the individual parts amounted to much less than the quartet as a whole. 

Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Which one's do you have? With the exception of Syd's stuff, I'm not too familiar with Floyd's solo work, but I have been thinking of picking up Gilmour's self titled debut and Water's Amused To Death.  

I'd say that :

The Body (more of a Geesin album), Gilmour's s/t, Wright's Wet Dream , Waters' Amused to Death and Pros & Cons are the ones you must have in priority ... Mason's Fictitious Sport- however good it is -  is more like joint-project with many friends, but not really Floyd-related. I still haven't heard Roger's Ca Ira thing, though.

Totally forgettable are Gilmour's About Face (80's production plagued, and weak tracks) and the soporific On An Island.  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 04:01
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Everyone , I'm sure, is aware of the break of Roger Waters with Pink Floyd after the album The Final Cut. He was still the same songwriter, but his following solo albums suffered in sales and, generally, were not well received by Floyd fans. Why?

And as for the albums produced by Pink Floyd after Water's departure, they were no longer biting concept pieces with brilliant lyrics. Why were they still so popular and sold in the millions?

my first guess is that Waters is not really as rich as the rest of Floyd, because Floyd was rather broke by the time of the early 80's (when he was ejected by some rather scandalous court decision) ... I mean, he spent years saving the Floyd ship  all alone (Mason was racng his cars, Wright having a nervous breakdown) and Gilmour almost doing diddley/squat), and when he wanted to close the ship, it was still afloat, but not doing great.

However despite two very weak albums (the atrocious AMLOR and the slightly better TDB >> with High Hopes to save it), money started rolling in like mad  (mega-tours sponsored by multi-nationa firms)... And Waters didn't get hus fair share, despite doing all the groundwork in the bad years.

Soooooooo, it's only natural that he scurries and exploits The Wall as much as he can....

But saying he never got beyond the wall is a big travesty of the truth.... but the public won't have much to do with his solo stuff (Amused to Death is brilliant)
BTW: Roger said recently that he's halfway done with his next solo album, foreseen for release  in roughly 18 months.

In which way would you say Waters was saving the Pink Floyd Flagship for so long. The band became huge with Dark Side and Wish you were Here, which were perfectly collaborative efforts. Even Animals still isn't so Roger driven (given that Dogs was mostly a Gilmour song, and that one is almost half the album... and mostly the best loved song on it. And then there's The Wall, which indeed was mainly a Roger thing and didn't have the same involvement from the band (still, from listening to the demos, I belive that if Gilmour hadn't been there to give his opinions and views, the album would have been notoriously weaker), and it was indeed a very succesful album. However, I understand the reason Pink Floyd was broke by the time Roger was out of the band, is because of the tour of The Wall, which was too big and expensive and was presented to few times to recover the money invested... so in the end, it would be Roger's fault, mainly, that the band was broke (and Rick came out of it without problems because he was already out of the band, so perhaps Roger did him a favor by firing him... at least financially).

It's not just artistically speaking (Floyd wasn't yet in an artistic danger by Animals).... Roger was also busy saving the ship in terms of management and finances... They'd been ripped off by some financial adviser, made some poor investments as well, just built an horrendously expensive studio (almost never used) and the UK tax offices was coming down like mad on their collective heads... the band's financial future was wery bleak, so with Mason & Wright busy at other things , Gilmour & Wright saving some of their better ideas for their solo albums in 77 & 78, Waters was almost alone aboard keeping the ship afloat.

as for Dogs (with Waters lyrics), remember it was a track they were already playing live in 75 and was originally thought to be on WYWH... So it's not like Gilmour actually did a whole lot in 77 for Animals either.

TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 09:02
Personally I like Amused to Death much more than The Wall. I mean, it's not golden era Floyd but it's got more of a point to it and I've never really bought the whole I'marockstarmylifeissoterrible concept-type album enough to enjoy it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 10:48

Waters never got beyond the Wall in sales or fan recognition, Sean, so the title question of my post is just hyperbole.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 15:05
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Prog magazine features as its lead album review the newly remastered Amused To Death, and it is a very sharp and insightful review, as well. It rightly says that Waters has, to a very large degree, been utterly vindicated in retrospect of his worldview of a civilisation in a bit of crisis, very much trampled upon by politicians, the establishment, corporate bullies, and, of course, a media which dumbs us down to the level of gorillas merely flicking endlessly between endless channels of sh*t.

I will not get this cd, given that I already have the vinyl and original cd versions. Mr Waters has had a fair few quid off of me over the years, but, for those curious about the man and his post Floyd legacy, this supreme album is the place to go.

Some don't know that this was not an original idea by Waters but taken from a book by Neil Postman.
So....not exactly an observation of a worldview of a civilization in crisis by Waters. But I guess if one is going to 'borrow' make it a good one.  ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death

Edited by dr wu23 - July 06 2015 at 16:00
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 15:18

to be honest I do not know any album David Gilmour released outside Pink Floyd never interested me to be honest. However, I do know, love and own two albums Roger Waters made after that tho' Smile
Gilmour's 77 debut has ot some very decent tracks (so did Wright's Wet Dreazms, released around that time), but it's clear that both were missing Water's i,nput than Roger missed their inputs

Floyd was like The Beatles... the sum of the individual parts amounted to much less than the quartet as a whole. 

Which one's do you have? With the exception of Syd's stuff, I'm not too familiar with Floyd's solo work, but I have been thinking of picking up Gilmour's self titled debut and Water's Amused To Death.  

I'd say that :

The Body (more of a Geesin album), Gilmour's s/t, Wright's Wet Dream , Waters' Amused to Death and Pros & Cons are the ones you must have in priority ... Mason's Fictitious Sport- however good it is -  is more like joint-project with many friends, but not really Floyd-related. I still haven't heard Roger's Ca Ira thing, though.

Totally forgettable are Gilmour's About Face (80's production plagued, and weak tracks) and the soporific On An Island.  

You have missed Rick Wright's Broken China from 96' - Superb post Division Bell material
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 15:28
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Some don't know that this was not an original idea by Waters but taken from a book by Neil Postman.
So....not exactly an observation of a worldview of a civilization in crisis by Waters. But I guess if one is going to 'borrow' make it a good one.  ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death

I was aware of the original source material, Doug, and I must get around to reading it one day.

The concept of artists "borrowing" from original source material is nothing new, of course, and Waters brought this to a worldwide audience Postman could never have managed.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 21:47

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

It's not just artistically speaking (Floyd wasn't yet in an artistic danger by Animals).... Roger was also busy saving the ship in terms of management and finances... They'd been ripped off by some financial adviser, made some poor investments as well, just built an horrendously expensive studio (almost never used) and the UK tax offices was coming down like mad on their collective heads... the band's financial future was wery bleak, so with Mason & Wright busy at other things , Gilmour & Wright saving some of their better ideas for their solo albums in 77 & 78, Waters was almost alone aboard keeping the ship afloat.

as for Dogs (with Waters lyrics), remember it was a track they were already playing live in 75 and was originally thought to be on WYWH... So it's not like Gilmour actually did a whole lot in 77 for Animals either.

Well, about their financial problems, I didn't really know about bad investments and so on, I just assumed they were OK since they had such big hits with Dark Side, and at least Wish You Were Here too (I don't know how much of a hit Animals might have been at the time, but surely not as great as the other two). About Gilmour and Wright savind gheir best ideas for their solo albums, well... Wright didn't save the best, he saved all for his solo album, since he didn't contribute to The Wall (not so sure who's fault it was, if Wright's or Waters', I guess both are to blame)... and about Gilmour, well, he almost didn't contribute either, but indeed he saved the best for the album, since there is nothing on his solo debute as good as Comfortably Numb (I don't think he knew it would turn out so great after working it, though, plus Waters input - whatever big or small - surely helped make the difference... which brings us back to the point: the band was greater than the sum of the parts). And about Dogs... well, in the end it's a song on the album, plus in that case Waters didn't do so much either, for Sheep was also around at the time Dogs was originally performed... which means Waters only wrote Pigs for the album (though at least he did write something... even though it might be, in my opinion, the lesser of the 3 great songs on the album, and of course I don't forget Pigs in the Wing, but that one is just not in the same league).
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 23:58
^ subjectively speaking of course

Personally I think ' Pigs On The Wing' both parts are the best thing off Animals, which I absolutely think is a masterpiece anyhow, go figure..

Edited by Chris S - July 06 2015 at 23:59

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 01:30

BTW: Roger said recently that he's halfway done with his next solo album, foreseen for release in roughly 18 years.

Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 01:44

I'd say that :

Now I'm curious about your opinion on broken china
Personally, I think it's the solo record that came closest to original Floyd.

Since this is about Waters: I'm firmly in the amused to death is great camp.
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 03:41
Originally posted by Siloportem Siloportem wrote:

I'd say that :

Now I'm curious about your opinion on broken china
Personally, I think it's the solo record that came closest to original Floyd.

Since this is about Waters: I'm firmly in the amused to death is great camp.

Didn't mention BC, because I don't think much of it, though like TDB, it is listenable. Actually it sounds like it was made from the same TDB sessions (and most notably like the two tracks Wright wrote for TDB). It's soft, fairly sleep-inducing (not to saya bit boring), but it's not offensive to the ears like About Face or AMLOR.

Actually, TDB sits better with me than AMLOR, because Wright's input is Floydian. I can only think of AMLOR ever being recorded and released as a rush job for Gilmour to clain the name (it was just business, not art). Mason did so little on that album (he could barely drum anymore at the time) and Wright's name being included (however in little characters) is really almost scandalous in this attempt to legitimate the Floyd moniker. AMLOR is not really anything more than a Gilmour solo album,barely better than About Face and OAI.

Edited by Sean Trane - July 14 2015 at 02:55
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 02:58
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

BTW: Roger said recently that he's halfway done with his next solo album, foreseen for release in roughly 18 years.

Mmmhhh!!!... very recent news has it that Gilmour also plans a new album, and it might even come out before the end of the year.

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 03:02
^ Gilmour's next album was scheduled for end of September according to Polly Samson.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 03:24

TFC is not quite as good as anything that came before it (it's an album where organ & piano dominates, as opposed to the synths of Animals & The Wall), but indeed, the atrocious AMLOR is totally unworthy of Floyd and TDB is only saved by Gilmour's one valid track for Floyd and his solo career, since Numb (the intros of AMLOP and TDB are OK, but rip-offs of/from Shine On You CD)
Sean Trane,
Do you think A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell are any better than Pink Floyd albums prior to TFC album? Or for that fact better than The Final Cut?
Hugs,  

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 03:29

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Mmmhhh!!!... very recent news has it that Gilmour also plans a new album, and it might even come out before the end of the year.

David Gilmour is brilliant his guitar tunes mesmerize you, however to me no doubt Water was the visionary.
Even Gilmour solo albums he used other artist's work and here he is too darn brilliant tho', I don't think he ever sang notes as high as this Syd Barret song before really. Stunning. stunning sang by Gilmour Heart
Group hug to everyone Big smileHug   
David Gilmour- Dark Globe (Live 2006) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGS4Xp8rLPA

Edited by Kati - July 14 2015 at 03:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>