Topic ClosedConditions of Progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conditions of Progress
    Posted: July 01 2015 at 13:37
What was it that allowed rock 'n roll to evolve to such a great extent while other musics such as blues, folk, and country are still more or less unchanged ?   What qualities does rock posses that fostered the change, variety and complexity that became available to rock and progrock musicians ?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 14:07
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

What was it that allowed rock 'n roll to evolve to such a great extent while other musics such as blues, folk, and country are still more or less unchanged ?   What qualities does rock posses that fostered the change, variety and complexity that became available to rock and progrock musicians ?

I'm not altogether sure that I agree with the premise of your argument.

For a start, I would argue that Blues morphed into rock & roll, and, in many ways, so did Southern country music, as well. Certainly, if you listen to early American rock @ roll stars, the connection is there for all to see. It was not without reason that Jerry Lee Lewis, for example, played Country festivals for many years.

As for folk, I take the view that it is, as is proper, a very diverse genre, which certainly takes in cultural differences. English folk cannot be compared to Eastern European folk in any way, shape, or form.

Blues. Can one compare US Negro blues music to that propagated by, for example, Fleetwood Mac, and that huge wave of British R@B that exploded in the 60's? Yes, those bands, Korner, Clapton, Mayall, and etc. took their influences from Amercan Blues, but they added a distinctly British twist to it all.

Finally, can one compare commercial country to some of the marvellous roots music that is out there? I am not sure that you can.

I think that aficionados of each and every genre will testify to the diverse nature of the music they love. Music, as with every other human invention, evolves.

My two penny worth, anyway.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 14:25
Clap
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 14:30
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I'm not altogether sure that I agree with the premise of your argument.

For a start, I would argue that Blues morphed into rock & roll, and, in many ways, so did Southern country music, as well. Certainly, if you listen to early American rock @ roll stars, the connection is there for all to see. It was not without reason that Jerry Lee Lewis, for example, played Country festivals for many years.

As for folk, I take the view that it is, as is proper, a very diverse genre, which certainly takes in cultural differences. English folk cannot be compared to Eastern European folk in any way, shape, or form.

Blues. Can one compare US Negro blues music to that propagated by, for example, Fleetwood Mac, and that huge wave of British R@B that exploded in the 60's? Yes, those bands, Korner, Clapton, Mayall, and etc. took their influences from Amercan Blues, but they added a distinctly British twist to it all.

Finally, can one compare commercial country to some of the marvellous roots music that is out there? I am not sure that you can.

I think that aficionados of each and every genre will testify to the diverse nature of the music they love. Music, as with every other human invention, evolves.

My two penny worth, anyway.

Diversity yes, but not the level of alteration rock has experienced.   Sure blues morphed into rock 'n roll but blues is still what it has always been, separate from rock.   And though old fashioned rock'nroll is still played, it is a far distance from what it became.   The same can't really be said about many other music styles steeped in their own traditions which they rarely waiver from.

But why rock?   Was it a perfect medium that somehow could be used to funnel any and all new ideas in a way other forms either couldn't or wouldn't allow?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 14:36
I think rock 'n Roll was able to survive and evolve because of it's mass appeal to the younger music fans.
Blues, folk, country and jazz could not draw from the younger fan base the way R 'n R could.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 14:40
So you think rock's progress had to do with the listeners.  Interesting.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 14:47
This:

Edited by SteveG - July 01 2015 at 17:49
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 15:10

Possible......I think RnR progress can also be the artists themselves and the attitude of a traditional RnR'er. No holding back, screw you, kiss my a$$ attitude. Oh and by the way I will play my guitar with distortion, I think guitar distortion gave way to other forms of rock n roll progression, drumming for example.

Pot, alcohol, hallucinogenic stuff made the mind write some strange stuff and put it to rock music.....

I don't listen to any country, but what I hear is more rock in today's country music than ever.

My 2 centavos.....
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 15:34

I think that since the beginning of rock 'n roll the majority of the fans were teenagers.
Producers and performers realized this and aimed at that market.
As each generation of teens evolved the music changed (more or less) to whatever the young 
people were into.
I think things shifted a bit as more artists wanted to do their own thing rather than what 
the label wanted. 
I feel that was the point where the fans started following the music instead of the music
following the fans.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 15:47
All forms of music evolve (or devolve) to a certain extent over time.  This is natural.  Just compare Robert Johnson to B.B. King.  Rock, however evolved more rapidly at a certain point, giving rise to Prog.  The process expanded greatly during the 1960s counter-culture movement.  Rock had always been about rebellion, yes, but that rebellion exploded in the late '60s.  Movements in Folk, Blues, and Jazz added to the momentum.  Also, there were a number of people born during or after WWII who received formal musical education.  So, the rebellious nature of Rock, education, and eclecticism all came together in a unique way.  Equally and perhaps more importantly, this mix proved popular, so creativity was rewarded explicitly.  This is not to say the other forms of music mentioned were not creative nor popular.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 18:02
Fairly easy to see where the OP is coming and maybe there is some validity to the claim. Certainly Rock has evolved pretty significantly if you compare say good old fashioned rock'n'roll to the latest in Prog.

I listen to a lot of Blues, a lot of Country, bit of Jazz, and a bit of Classical. You can probably make the same claim about each of those genres. Compare Robert Johnson to Joe Bonamassa, Hank Williams to Calexico, Jelly Roll Morton to Branford Marsalis, Vivaldi to Phillip Glass.

So my claim would be that they have all moved on from their origins yet in the main stay true to them. As for Prog, hell we spend at least as much, if not more time discussing the old stuff as we do the new. Us old fogeys are still wittering on about how sad that Peter Gabriel left Genesis ffs, while a current thread is discussing Then There Were Three an album and an event that occurred (just in case anyone missed them  LOL ) going on forty years ago.

By the bye, I just did a search of "best prog rock albuim of 2015" and I find such groundbreaking newcomers as Yes, Genesis, Justin Hayward, Rush, John Lodge and Ian Anderson. OK , a lot of them are the dreaded remasters but reality is in all genres the old stuff is revered and revisited while the new still emerges and seemingly finds a ready market. May that always be the case.

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 18:37
OP:  Classical music (especially opera) + electricity + drugs + rock'n'roll + hippies/"Flower Children" + advances in studio/recording technology = "Progressive Rock Music" (+/- a million other things . . . )
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 19:59
^ Too easy, too James Burke--  all things are connected at some point it's true, but that doesn't help us understand specific evolutions in music.   Many music forms are a turning away from past styles, an urge to create something that is opposed to what came before, but it seems that's where the progress slows or stops.   The tendency seems to be to create and establish a defined system of musical expression ~ reggae, bluegrass, trad folk, dance, etc. ~ and to maintain that system indefinitely.   But somehow rock transcended that and refused to be stuck in tradition.   Why?

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 07:42
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I think that since the beginning of rock 'n roll the majority of the fans were teenagers.

To expand on this point, some of these teenagers would be inspired enough to form their own bands bringing with them influences of not only the rock music they were listening to, but maybe even influences from their parents (for those that had musical parents) and/or any musical training they had growing up (think of the keyboard players that were classically trained). How many biographies or interviews of prog musicians have we read or heard where their "musical palette" was inspired by those around them and musical training they had when they were young?

Obviously this isn't the case for all musicians that entered rock music, but surely it has had some impact.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 07:46
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

(...)

Pot, alcohol, hallucinogenic stuff made the mind write some strange stuff and put it to rock music.....

(...)
Exactly.
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 15:59
Hippies, English counter-culture, psychedelica, technology ...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:15

the lack of tradition is one of the biggest reasons IMO.  While there is a conservative element to rock and roll (see critical haters of prog).. it is not NEAR as entrenched as more established musical forms.

thus the ability.. and incentive to experiment and evolve under the right conditions...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:21
I feel that R&R is the genre from which Rock Music evolved and is still growing. While academically linked, I personally feel no connection between Blue Suede Shoes and Roundabout.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:30
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

What was it that allowed rock 'n roll to evolve to such a great extent while other musics such as blues, folk, and country are still more or less unchanged?   What qualities does rock posses that fostered the change, variety and complexity that became available to rock and progrock musicians?
the lack of tradition is one of the biggest reasons IMO.  While there is a conservative element to rock and roll (see critical haters of prog).. it is not NEAR as entrenched as more established musical forms.

thus the ability.. and incentive to experiment and evolve under the right conditions...

Right, maybe the fact that it was a new form allowed an opportunity for experiments and expansion.   And it kept growing, like some neoplasmic musical elephantiasis.   Pretty rare.

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:43
Rock 'n Roll was a mix of different styles in the first place; it just became more diverse to the point where both Chicago and Kraftwerk were considered 'rock'.
Magma America Great Make Again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>