Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould Ratings Be Abolished?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should Ratings Be Abolished?
    Posted: July 02 2015 at 22:54
...Or maybe just ratings without reviews.

Inspired by micky's (and my own) longstanding misgivings about star ratings, particularly when unaccompanied by a written review, I thought it might be ripe to have a serious chat about it.   Allowing stars only if accompanied by written material would bring focus more on to content rather than status, and might compel more people to actually compose a writeup.   I know a lot of non-English speakers use the site and can't or prefer not to submit a review, and that's a valid issue.   And getting rid of ratings-only could impact the top 100 Prog Albums.   Not to mention the fact that, well, people like their stars.   Heck, so do I  Embarrassed .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 23:03
Oh I'm definitely on board with this as well.

valid concerns - foreign users.   Easy man.. let them review it. In their own language, something IIRC has not been allowed.  It isn't like their review says anything we could understand now.. it is a stupid rating. Does nothing but add to equation.. let them review the albums in their own language. If one person who understands the languages reads then. voila... their review has done more good than any rating without review could ever do.

next... yes.. our favorite thing.  The album listing here which is based on ratings...   let that whole list come crashing down.  We'll sweep up the wreckage of that.. and build something better...

the site has a lot of smart people here...  the site can build a definative list of top albums to help guide newbies and explorers to the world of prog. If RS can do it... this f**king site can.. and a helluva lot better.  Good way to engage the forum, and even some collabs in a good task.

the most obvious benefit  is a improvement on the quality of the reviews.  Take away the yoke of having to justify a rating... if someone wants to review an album. .do so.. talk about it on its own merits and failings. Inform, education.. not playing ratings and album ranking games.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 00:30
No.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 00:59
Well actualy reviewing with no rating would be my first choice, because i prefer the words to a 5 star system.
But im sure the "PA" leadership would never accept that. They seem to like the "X"-factor contest. Best prog album, and all that.
Put it seems very on prog to me.

I definetely would start writing reviews is there was no ratings involved, but i know its never going to happen. 
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 01:18
^ I don't know about that; the ownership may want ratings, but the leadership would probably be fine either way.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 03:04
I don't have anything against star ratings, but I refuse to give them unless accompanied by a review. If I was to decide whether ratings without reviews were to be abolished, I'd say yes. Anyway, the weighting system helps to correct the rating-only effect a bit.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 04:15
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I don't have anything against star ratings, but I refuse to give them unless accompanied by a review. If I was to decide whether ratings without reviews were to be abolished, I'd say yes. Anyway, the weighting system helps to correct the rating-only effect a bit.

I also have no problems about ratings, and I'd even say that review-less ratings don't bother me either (though I've very rarely done it myself), if the number of ratings is sufficient enough to make the album rating somewhat trustworthy

Actually my only gripe is that 5Star is simply too limitative At one point, we had the 0Star happening Clap and I thought it was a step in the right directionThumbs Up, but this was retrieved after only one yearCry... it's been almost a decade since M@X promised us the much-awaited halfstars and we're still waiting...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 04:20
Yes, absolutely. Throw them out with the trash
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 04:41
Bamse what are you dooing here, shouldent you be wastet at the festival by now ?
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 05:51
I sure should, but I couldn't find any sugarmama willing to sponsor the trip
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 06:45
Keep the ratings but separate them from reviews. 

If ratings without review are permitted then allow reviews without ratings

Don't publish calculate averages, they're meaningless. Use them internally to calculate the QWR for chart position if you must but the charts are meaningless too, especially those that compare albums from different bands, subgenres and times. For example Close To The Edge is PA's favourite Yes album is more meaningful than Close To The Edge is PA's favourite Symphonic Prog album, which in turn is more meaningful than it being PA's most favourite album of 1972 or PA's most favourite Prog album of all time.
What?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 07:22
I find ratings totally unnecessary when stuck at the end of a thorough review - or even detrimental, because many people will just scroll down to find the rating, ignoring a review that may have cost hours of work. Unfortunately, as I have already said elsewhere, the majority of Internet users seem to love rating anything with passionate intensity - just look at sites such as Yelp or TripAdvisor - so I don't think we stand a chance in hell of seeing ratings scrapped any time soon. However, I think an effort should be made to eliminate reviewless ratings, which often present a rather questionable picture of an album, as well as being used to manipulate album standings in the site's numerous Top X lists.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 07:35
there really is no reason now to keep ratings without reviews.

The world is a different place today than it was 10+ years ago and the foundations of the site were being laid down.

The proliferation of review sites and of course personal reviewing blogs have taken many (potential) reviewing voices from the site.  Anyone incapable of writing a review here can, and likely is, writing them elsewhere.  Get rid of ratings without reviews definitely.. zero need for them. Also removes the persistant headache the admins have faced for years in combating ratings abuse/manipulation.

I see no one picked up what I had proposed..  so I'll try yet again. 

This thread came out of the what would you change thread. The basis of change.. is improvement.

What does the site really lack.. Passion and purpose. The forum has settled into domestic bliss of getting up a 6am.. catching the bus to work,  arriving home, having dinner with the wife, watching the boobtube for a few hours before retiring to bed.. to start the whole process again the next day.

What the forum need..  a purpose.  The RS top list generated a lot of interest and discussion. I came here to PA's from a site that created directly in response to the infamous RS Guitarist list of 2002. We worked to objectively as humanly possible rank these things. That is what the forum needs..  involve everyone a giant project to replace the current ratings driven album list with a comprehensive and definitive album list. We have a lot of smart people here.. engage them.. make use of them. Bring some life and purpose to forum other than silly polls and oft done discussion topics.

get rid of ratings altogether as the first step to doing something to improve the site in a larger sense. A grand crusade of prog fans to create THE list. If RS can do it, this site can.. and one a helluva lot better as well.

Edited by micky - July 03 2015 at 07:39
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
mogol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 08:50
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

the majority of Internet users seem to love rating

If ordinary users love this feature (and I also think much of them really do), its abolishment will lead to decrease of interest in the site. The more rights and freedom you give to people, the more they are apt to use and develop the system. That's why I used to propose to give close to ablolute freedom to users here - adding new artists (I don't now as I understand technical problems related to such possibility). 

So no, I don't think simply getting rid of ratings won't make the site any good. Better think of how to make the rating system produce more realistic results - as of now most part of albums here have scores between 3.5 and 4.5, thus being considered as 'excellent'. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 08:50
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

get rid of ratings altogether as the first step to doing something to improve the site in a larger sense. A grand crusade of prog fans to create THE list. If RS can do it, this site can.. and one a helluva lot better as well.

I can still eventually see the site dropping the rating-only (or at least not accepting new ones), but getting rid of them altogether cannot function, IMHO.... losing the ratings would certainly diminish the quantity of users... and not necessarily augment (or keep the status quo) on qualitative users.

Simply because the "normal" user needs them and expects them (replacing them with 0 to 5 I Like would be the same).... Sadly we're in a world where giving your useless opinions (whether for or against) have become the success of many sites... I definitely don't see a rating as detrimental to a review. I myself find ratings very useful***
Too bad if an idiot user sees the rating >> his loss really.

Raff:  I'm at the base of the idea of placing the rating below the review in the submit review box (M@X immediately implemented that after I suggested it >> which goes to show that when he wants to... he can), even if in reality, it doesn't change much, since the stars are still showing at the top of the review. The idea was to first write the review and then put a rating on the album.

And in music, the most popular database sites (is there one more popular than RYM?), they seem to all function via star system.

***: Actually I participate to Gnosis2000, where it is ratings-only and very few reviews... the ratings are based on a solid 00 to 15 to -- and it works very well. I trust the site at 99.7% because I know a lot of the raters... Of course, we're a selected (elist a..hole) bunch with more or less the same aesthetics and musical loves.

Edited by Sean Trane - July 03 2015 at 08:53
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:05
Originally posted by mogol mogol wrote:

That's why I used to propose to give close to ablolute freedom to users here - adding new artists (I don't now as I understand technical problems related to such possibility). 
No technical problems, just logistic ones. We are not RYM so the artist additions criteria has to be strictly observed to ensure the artists qualify as prog artists.

We had free-for-all additions in the past and it's was a terrible idea that people can, will and did abuse. 

If you personally want to add artists then prove your worth and become a collaborator on one of the teams.

Edited by Dean - July 03 2015 at 09:08
What?
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:08
Personally I don't think rating should be terminated, for reasons other have stated already. Ratings and lists are both expected, both features need to be present. Even dedicated, hardcore fans use them as a means of navigation, at least the ratings.

What is lacking are reviewers. New reviewers, quality reviewers. If this site had a reviewing team, it would soon be swimming in enough promos to fill up a swimming hall. Or three. Especially if said reviews were highlighted in some manner - upper half of the front page for instance. That would also, hopefully, create a drive for the ordinary reviewers to develop their skills well enough to become official reviewers. In this age of music streaming left, right, up and down as well as in the middle, those who would need pointers for material to try out on, the unreviewed album list for instance, could get easy guidance to those.

Something that over time would lead to more reviews and better reviews.

If this site needs it? That's another thing of course. Personally I'm not all that impressed by neither blogs or even some sites in terms of how reviews are written. Then again, my mentor in that department is an old fashioned writer, who learned the craft when reviews were still an art form and not just a case of merely stating how much you like an album or not, and at best with some some reasons as to why that is the case.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:22
I get what you're saying Olav, but speaking for myself here: I would hate to be part of a team where I HAD to review certain albums. That's also why I mostly thank no to acts asking for a review.
I also highly suspect that noone really bothers reading them - maybe except for the people who also do reviews.

In todays day and age people stream their music or look for a rating. Reading 300 words in a row is just too much of a hassle.
This is also why I've (almost) stopped doing them. They seem fruitless.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 03 2015 at 09:41

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:25
^ ahh... the elephant in the room.. exposed. As I noted.. it is a different world out there.  I applaud the reviewers here... but how many are really read.  There is a wealth of information out there by hard core dedicated reviewers in blogs and professsion(or not) review sites.

WE have great reviewers here, but sadly are often submerged quickly beneath amateur hour.. that is why I stopped. I sucked....

Edited by micky - July 03 2015 at 09:26
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 09:39
Don't get me wrong - I would love for things to be different; I just don't see any proof suggesting that members or visitors read READ the frontpage.....and I happen to love writing reviews
I do read em though. Man I don't know what I would've done if I'd missed Michael's (Neu!mann) recent Amon Düül write-up. That thing was hilarious and wonderfully written.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 03 2015 at 09:42

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>