Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs prog only for heterosexuals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is prog only for heterosexuals?
    Posted: July 03 2015 at 18:50
Hey. Being a big prog fan and a gay man has always been a bit of a weird clash. In fact It's a bit of a rarity as very few gay guys and girls I know really aren't into progressive music at all. Obviously crossover artists can be liked by everyone (for example my ex and I met over a love of the band Nightwish, a band who are even on this site and he even introduced me to Diablo Swing Orchestra). 
So...is prog a stereotypical heterosexual thing...

Discuss :)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 18:58
*spits beer on monitor*

I...ahh...  that is a new one. After 10 years.. you would think you would have seen it all.

ahhh.. now this is more like it.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 19:04
We actually have a few gay friends who are very much into prog, both as listeners and as musicians. Therefore, based on personal experience, I'd say the answer to your question is "no".
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 19:11
exactly...  hey I don't have any day to day real life (non PA's that is Wink) friends. .straight or not that are into prog.  It is lonely existence prog fan has.. has not a thing to do with sexuality. It is why we congregate here. That is why the internet was prime reason number for for the revival of prog.  We all finally got to get together!

Edited by micky - July 03 2015 at 19:17
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 19:23
I am glad someone gay brought this topic up. Sorry for even us hetero's this topic is scraping the barrel dude. Does not deserve a responseShocked
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 19:31
yeah.. my first reaction was ...

oh no..  this poster DiD NOT do this..

though I must say..  even though things are getting better here.. .I would think the last damn thing I gay man in the US today would be worried about.. is if Prog is for heterosexuals. 5 to 4 man..  that is 4 ignorants b*****ds for every 5 enlightened people with hearts as well as brains

Like a black man worried if the po po that pulled him over even when he was doing 5 under... are going to dig hip hip playing on his stereo..
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 19:35
Having grown up in San Fran and only knowing one gay guy who liked Tull and Floyd, the answer is yes; Prog is only for heteros.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 19:47
LOL amen David... after having lived many years in the south I can tell you... I met not a single hetero prog fan.

prog is for gay men!! Clap
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 19:58
Prog is for asexuals. Non-asexuals generally adapt.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 20:02
YES!! Clap prog isn't for gay or for straight.. it is  for virgins.. that is why prog fans are so rare!!!   LOL

It is rule #1 in the great handbook of prog rock.  Ye shall not have sex for ye shall not find women who think Rush is cool...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 20:33
Well, you have more of a chance getting laid whilst wearing an Ed Sheeran 'X' shirt, than wearing a Magma shirt .........(and I have a Kajagoogoo shirt which I don't wear at all......)
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 20:37
Well I'll be watching this one closely
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 20:39
Ok, guys, seriously.

For homossexuals, every place we live is a place where we have to find an identity. Do not mock for the question. Every place is heterossexual and male dominated, and this question is something natural and valid.

The fact that the answer will be "no", because Progressive Rock doesnt have a nature that defines who should listen to it (from every aspect of human life), do not necessarilly invalidate the question.

Arcane, I do understand you. As a gay men myself, I always struggle to find some points of ourselves in Prog Rock. And now we have internet to better comunicate!

Did you listen TAAB2? There is something quite good in there to answer your question.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 20:53
^ No mocking intended though maybe levity, having been reared (pun intended) in a strongly gay city, prog rock was not big in the gay community.   Which didn't bother anybody at all.   My crowd were retro hippies and were in no position to mock anyone.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 20:57
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

YES!! Clap prog isn't for gay or for straight.. it is  for virgins.. that is why prog fans are so rare!!!   LOL

It is rule #1 in the great handbook of prog rock.  Ye shall not have sex for ye shall not find women who think Rush is cool...

Don't forget the sub-clause to rule #1; Even if ye discover she who likes Rush, she will be out of thy league...

LOL...Smile...Stern Smile...Cry...LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 20:58
levity indeed.. no mocking here man. Though yeah, I did think it strange to ask. Natuarlly my first thought is troll... With all the injustice and bigotry in the world.. who gives a f**k about prog rock and who listens to it. It burns my ass.. I could only imagine how it must those directly affected BY it.

however..you make a damn good point GKR. Clap  I can see what you are coming from.  A sense of fitting in.  However does it not exacty play into the very thing we want to see broken. Damnit man.. you are not defined by your sexuality. I don't care what sexuality you are, no more than I care about the friends Raff and I do have.  You judge a person on who they are, not what they are. Same goes with this forum..  you are a good person.. have good tastes.. and love prog rock. You have a home here.. no matter your sexuality.. race.. rellgion.. 

bah...
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 21:07
As for an actual response to the post: No, it's not only for any particular group. Music is music, and peoples' individual tastes are just that, their individual tastes. While I may find Ruins and such to be good, other people find them awful and would prefer to listen to anything else they prefer to listen to. Like Micky said, I don't think an individual's sexuality, religion, race, etc. have much of anything to do with it.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 21:08
We are not defined by our sexualitty until we are. And there the prejudice are born.

And thats the whole pont of this topic. Arcane want to see if there were other people though like him, what kind of things we could hear by this point of view (thats why I already indicate a song/album), etc.

I do feel confortable here, and thats why I think you guys should be trying to find some songs and artists to link with the topic to made Arcane even more comfortable. The world is not Progarchives, its dark and full of terrors.

Thanks for the words, Micky, I wish everyone was like you.

Edited by GKR - July 03 2015 at 21:10
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 21:10
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Don't forget the sub-clause to rule #1; Even if ye discover she who likes Rush, she will be out of thy league...

LOL...Smile...Stern Smile...Cry...LOL

but don't forget the sub-clause to to the sub-clause;  unless one is a RPI fan.. then that babe is yours...

LOLClap
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 21:18
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

We are not defined by our sexualitty until we are. And there the prejudice are born.

And thats the whole pont of this topic. Arcane want to see if there were other people though like him, what kind of things we could hear by this point of view (thats why I already indicate a song/album), etc.

I do feel confortable here, and thats why I think you guys should be trying to find some songs and artists to link with the topic to made Arcane even more comfortable. The world is not Progarchives, its dark and full of terrors.

Thanks for the words, Micky, I wish everyone was like you.

Heart

excellent post...  and perhaps someday..  Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>