Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJudas Priest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Judas Priest
    Posted: July 05 2015 at 17:37
I've noticed that Iron Maiden was added to Prog for being influential to later bands. I also think that a band that came even before Iron Maiden was Judas Priest which influenced bands as well. Is there any way they are qualified as well?
http://fryingpanmedia.com
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 17:42
I once see some topic about Judas Priest.

I do believe that they are a Prog-Related Band, but I will wait for other people to manifest themselves.

By the way: love their first albums :)
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 17:46
They have been suggested (and discussed) numerous times in the past few years, though without any positive results. Personally, I have always been in favour of adding them to Prog-Related because of their first three albums, but a lot of other people disagree.  You can check these threads if you like:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47114&KW=Judas+Priest&PID=2793608#2793608

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55622&KW=Judas+Priest&PID=3147699#3147699

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68846&KW=Judas+Priest&PID=3713050#3713050

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82433&KW=Judas+Priest&PID=4334262#4334262

Edited by Raff - July 05 2015 at 17:50
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 17:51
they would fit in a rational website.. those first 3 were damn  related, proto prog-metal or simply flat out PRog-Metal. It is an interesting disucssion which means ... it is a discussion to be had.. which means they belong on the site. Discussion and reviews do more to answer that question than secret meetings behind closed doors in the admin zone or even the collab zone.

However mention Judas Priest in the past and rationality will go out the window. I know the site is under new management these days...  curious to see how they'd handled a request

Edited by micky - July 05 2015 at 17:52
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 18:10
Time to revisit it perhaps....JP should be here for the first three albums under prog related. You need to find someone with the passion and determination to see it through, personally I would just spin Sad Wings of Destiny and get my fix that waySmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 18:16
oh we could add it... no problem there.. however it is not up to us. If it was we would have long ago..even when the forum was not receptive to it. The site just added frickin Buckethead and not a person flipped out or went sh*those crazy as they did famously when Iron Maiden got added. 

It is a different site, in membership AND most importantly.. in scope.  You have dozens of albums from artists like Miles Davis included for each one that might relate to the site.  So the fear all the power or pop metal albums that would also be included for the sake of the pertinent ones simply doesn't wash.

Edited by micky - July 05 2015 at 18:17
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 18:56
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

they would fit in a rational website.. those first 3 were damn  related, proto prog-metal or simply flat out PRog-Metal. It is an interesting disucssion which means ... it is a discussion to be had.. which means they belong on the site. Discussion and reviews do more to answer that question than secret meetings behind closed doors in the admin zone or even the collab zone.

However mention Judas Priest in the past and rationality will go out the window. I know the site is under new management these days...  curious to see how they'd handled a request

ClapClap......I agree they should be added too

Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:14
IMHO not prog at all.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:17
I vote for a sounding yes as stoped Traffic to listen "Dream Deceiver - Deceiver".
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:25
since I just finished Vanden Plas.. and my blood is pumping...

going straight to this... since it is still early enough in the evening to rattle the pictures on the wall

the issue if prog metal belongs on this site has been long decided.. the site included Sabbath.. it is long overdue to get this band added..

where is my.. oh yeah.. there it is ...

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:25
Personally I think those early albums were an influence on Maiden and Metallica who were an influence on prog metal. So maybe proto-proto-prog metal at best. I sure as hell wouldn't want to see 5 star reviews of British Steel on the front page. I think Megadeth have a better case (not that I'm saying they should be addedShocked).
Magma America Great Make Again
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:32
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I sure as hell wouldn't want to see 5 star reviews of British Steel on the front page.

and Miles Davis jazz albums from the 1950's... less of a problem with that Daryl.

That barn door was opened years ago and once opened it could never be closed.

Remember man.. it is what THEY want to see on this site.  I do think it needs a poll. Let the admins see if there is.. or isn't a desire to see Judas Priest on the site.  Let people say with their votes if they think Priest had enough of a contributon to prog metal.. or even if certain things.. NOSTRADAMUS people. were flat out prog-metal

Edited by micky - July 05 2015 at 19:32
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:42
Judas Priest made a big contribution to progmetal, no doubt, though frankly I'd say the Scorpions were a touch more influential; Michael Schenker and Uli Roth ?   That's about as prog as metal got back then.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:48
Asked if the members of JUDAS PRIEST were aware, more than forty years ago, that they were creating a form of music that was completely different, Hill said: "I don't think we were, no. It's something that evolved over the years. It wasn't sort of something that happened overnight. JUDAS PRIEST evolved the same as everybody else. We started playing, in the 1960s, early '70s, what people called 'heavy rock' or 'progressive rock.' I can remember us making a conscious effort to try and steer clear of the 12-bar element (although there are one or two songs in there over the years that have had that sort of three-chord battishness). But we stayed clear of that. We just went a bit harder, maybe, a bit heavier and a bit faster than others were doing at the time."
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/judas-priests-ian-hill-heavy-metal-music-will-always-be-here-in-some-way-shape-or-form/#IuTSIMvJ0CPfl0dq.99
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I sure as hell wouldn't want to see 5 star reviews of British Steel on the front page.

and Miles Davis jazz albums from the 1950's... less of a problem with that Daryl.

That barn door was opened years ago and once opened it could never be closed.

Remember man.. it is what THEY want to see on this site.  I do think it needs a poll. Let the admins see if there is.. or isn't a desire to see Judas Priest on the site.  Let people say with their votes if they think Priest had enough of a contributon to prog metal.. or even if certain things.. NOSTRADAMUS people. were flat out prog-metal

Nostradamus is really underrated, killer album! 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:54
Clap it belongs here.. .so does the group.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 20:21
Well I suppose I'm the man of change. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 20:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Judas Priest made a big contribution to progmetal, no doubt, though frankly I'd say the Scorpions were a touch more influential; Michael Schenker and Uli Roth ?   That's about as prog as metal got back then.

ClapClap

Scorps first two albums are about as prog/metal/psych as you can get....If we are talking about a couple albums then Lonesome Crow destroys the initial Priest albums for progyness.

Both need inclusion.....
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 05:40
I did what I could years back.  It went to the admin team for inclusion as prog related and they dropped the hammer and said "no".  I think that new admins or not it is a dead deal.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 06:24
 no is the answer, they are heavy metal all the way, even first 3 albums toying here in there with some sporadicaly prog leanings

Evrywhere JP is stated as heavy metal gods and no trace of prog here

Just my opinion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>