Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJudas Priest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 06:51
"We started rehearsing and writing some of our own songs, classing ourselves as a progressive rock band. We also played covers of bands like Spirit and Quick Silver Messenger Service. We advertised for work in a local newspaper, and a guy called Alan Eade from Ace Management came to our rescue. He put some gigs our way and took us into the studios to record some of my songs. We recorded two songs, "Good Time Woman" and "We'll Stay Together" and sent them off to several record companies.
We had interest from Harvest and Immediate Record companies, so we did a live showcase for them at a local venue in Walsall, The George Hotel.
"Among the audience that night was another singer called Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) who we were introduced to. Immediate Records liked the sound of us and gave us a deal. We signed a three-year contract (our manager gave us a champagne party at his house) and starting putting songs together for the first album.
"Two months later, the bubble burst when our manager Alan gave us the bad news that the record company had folded. This was a bitter blow for us. Back to the drawing board and back on the road touring.... We carried on touring into 1970, but started to drift apart musically, I wanted to explore the rock side and break away from the bluesy feel the band had developed. So, midway through 1970, we decided to split and go our separate ways."
- Al Atkins, VICTIM OF CHANGES liner note, 1997
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 06:55

"K.K., Ian and I would jam at their apartment whenever we got the chance. We used to knock up tons of different ideas and make loads of cassettes. It was interesting because I think we were probably feeling our way as to how and what exactly Priest should be."
- Rob Halford, Heavy Duty official biography, 1984

"We were pretty adventurous and we tried to steer away from basic twelve-bar stuff, because we were more into progressive rock. On the rare occasions that we did anything slightly close to a twelve-bar, we'd try and alter it dramatically by putting in some unusual changes. Most of the other bands around were sticking to the same basic stuff."
- K.K. Downing, Heavy Duty official biography, 1984

Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 07:46
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

no is the answer, they are heavy metal all the way, even first 3 albums toying here in there with some sporadicaly prog leanings

Evrywhere JP is stated as heavy metal gods and no trace of prog here

Just my opinion

Totally agree Bogdan

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 08:01
^ me too
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 09:26
I think everybody here are aware that Judas Priest wouldn't be admitted in here even if they released a double album of 20 minute epics with multiple themes, orchestral arrangements and music more complex than Gentle Giant made in their heyday. They have too many straight metal albums in their history to ever be admitted in here, no matter what they may do for the next 10 or even 20 years if they stay alive that long.

That they have some early albums that are prog influenced, arguably even prog depending on point of view, that the band was aware of and familiar of the genre and knowingly incorporated elements of it early on, and admittedly influential to the development of progressive metal won't change that. As long as they have a full dozen albums without any prog merits, they will never be allowed into the database of this website.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 09:36

^ not true at all, if they make a prog album, the next day we'll all vote Yes.

Just don't get your hopes up, with 'Redeemer of Souls' they hit rock bottom where it comes to prog credentials

I got to know JP in my teens when I was searching for something else after being addicted to Prog for years.
Sad Wings and Sin after Sin filled the gap. I've never seen those albums as Prog.

That being said, they sure had their influence on the proggy side of Maiden and would have made a better addition to Prog Related than Black Sabbath who are there for no reason at all other than M@x's wish if you ask me.

Edited by Bonnek - July 06 2015 at 09:37
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 09:58
Hmmm, well in that case there should be high hopes for the likes of UFO and Scorpions at least, as both of them have undisputed prog albums in their discography.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 19:04
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

no is the answer, they are heavy metal all the way, even first 3 albums toying here in there with some sporadicaly prog leanings

Evrywhere JP is stated as heavy metal gods and no trace of prog here

Just my opinion

Totally agree Bogdan

FWIW the old standby of "one prog album and you're in" was no longer the favored way of approaching legacy artists according to previous (and nameless) Admin I've spoken to about this.  They had become more in favor of considering the "entirity of the body of work" than they were to someone pointing to one or two debatable albums and then approving an artist with a dozen (or two) non prog albums.  they explained that the "one and you're in" rule was born of early days when the site was young, as a strategy to add much content as quickly as possible.  As it grew and because more focused and organized, the thinking was that we should require a legacy artist to meet a higher standard than one or two "proggy" albums since that particular standard could apply to some dubious additions not really suited to the site. 

My personal opinion is that Priest might be perfectly happy and better suited at Max's other baby, MMA.  But If they make it through the process after good consideration, more power to them! 

Edited by Finnforest - July 06 2015 at 19:05

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 10:57
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

FWIW the old standby of "one prog album and you're in" was no longer the favored way of approaching legacy artists according to previous (and nameless) Admin I've spoken to about this.  They had become more in favor of considering the "entirity of the body of work" than they were to someone pointing to one or two debatable albums and then approving an artist with a dozen (or two) non prog albums.  they explained that the "one and you're in" rule was born of early days when the site was young, as a strategy to add much content as quickly as possible.  As it grew and because more focused and organized, the thinking was that we should require a legacy artist to meet a higher standard than one or two "proggy" albums since that particular standard could apply to some dubious additions not really suited to the site. 

If this is the case, the teams should be notified.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 11:25
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

I think everybody here are aware that Judas Priest wouldn't be admitted in here even if they released a double album of 20 minute epics with multiple themes, orchestral arrangements and music more complex than Gentle Giant made in their heyday. They have too many straight metal albums in their history to ever be admitted in here, no matter what they may do for the next 10 or even 20 years if they stay alive that long.

That they have some early albums that are prog influenced, arguably even prog depending on point of view, that the band was aware of and familiar of the genre and knowingly incorporated elements of it early on, and admittedly influential to the development of progressive metal won't change that. As long as they have a full dozen albums without any prog merits, they will never be allowed into the database of this website.

I smell sarcasm...
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 11:48
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

I smell sarcasm...

beats the alternative.. and telling those against this that their objections are based on 'the name' not the music. And continuing to say that that works for the unwashed masses but should not collaborators who should listen without prejudice.. if they can't do that.. they shouldn't be tasked with additions here.

You would rather have his irony that saying something like that wouldn't you?

For if he did.. I might have jumped in and reminded those who those who have TOTALLY lost track of what our jobs as collaborators are...  to serve the site. The fact this has been raised so many times, agreed to by so many who sure as hell do know prog rock reminds one of the old saying

where there is smoke there is fire.   The site is not about being a judge and jury.. it is supposed to be a resource.  The basis is not that everyone should agree..  for there are as many notions of prog as there are fans...  but that the site is a place .. a resource where one can explore.  Not get a summary of what a few swinging dicks with fancy titles think...

I think sarcasm worked rather well there.  Thumbs Up  We wouldn't want to bring back that whole philosophical question that led collabs to rip each other apart again would we.

On that note..  look at Steely Dan. Added.. and is the site better for it. Goddamn right it is.. who cares if not everyone thought they belonged.. enough did.. and even some have discovered them via their addtion.  So what again is our purpose here.. .I think some have forgotten it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 12:05

I smell sarcasm...

Not really. Those are points that have been made in other cases of a well known band/artist with one or two prog albums and a large catalog of much better known non-prog albums. The rationale being that in those cases, adding the artist would be detrimental to the purpose of the site because the prog content is low and fairly unknown while the artist is a household name in non-prog circles.

Judas Priest is a suggestion that have been tossed around for many years now, and as far as I can recall this is a case that was dead and buried long ago as well.

Personally I don't see any dramatic consequences of adding them, but won't fight for their inclusion. As long as one can highlight the reasons for why people want them to be considered that's the most important aspect of this thread. As far as adding them goes, I regard that as a carcass well under way in the putrification process, just about reduced to the bare bones at this point.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 12:36
Ah, yes. The smell of sarcasm was attached to the more general point, not this specific case - although it serves as an example, despite its putrified state.

^^micky, try to write coherent, I had to read that 7 times before I got your message LOL
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 12:41

^^micky, try to write coherent, I had to read that 7 times before I got your message LOL

Wink  you all should know me by now...  if I am writing coherently.. I am in troll mode.  Lest my trollishnes be lost upon the recipient.

IF not.. I'm in full on crusader mode and foaming at the mouth thus .. slightly harder to understand LOLClap

Edited by micky - July 07 2015 at 12:42
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 14:20
Related to Prog Related...

We has not never not doesn't ever has that category and this hasn't been the reason to has been creating one now. 
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 14:36
LOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 14:54
You can't add Guns and Roses to PA because of November Rain and Estranged. 
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 15:11
Sorry I'm still thinking bout Frank Marino's Mahogany Rush... Now that is a good candidate for PR.

The Priest... well I really can't find prog in their first records (which I like btw).
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 16:37
Other hand, I like Judas Priest and (kinda) hate Iron Maiden.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 17:08
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

If this is the case, the teams should be notified.

I agree Scott, I think it would make things clearer for all involved, assuming the current admins agree with the philosophical shift. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>