Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid the Beatles really Invent Prog? Or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 17:15
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Leave It To Stever starring Jerry Blathers and Phony Dow.

So, are you Blathers or Phoney? I never seem get that right.

I'm Blathers! Freak Out's the first prog? ! It was Sgt. Pepper's, according to Bruford at one of his drum clinics I attended in the '80s. As he's one-third of Crimso's Red, so there you have it.

Edited by Rednight - July 06 2015 at 17:15
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 18:39
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

This promises to be a fun evening. I'm going to go make the popcorn. 
I did say to keep it fun, didn't I? Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 18:52

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

This promises to be a fun evening. I'm going to go make the popcorn. 
I did say to keep it fun, didn't I? Wink

you did - and you kept your word.  LOL
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 22:54
Freak Out is definitely NOT prog. I'll admit there's more prog on Revolver. Maybe Absolutely Free with "Brown Shoes" is getting there. The Who's "A Quick One..." should also be mentioned as a proto-prog epic. Funny, those two songs are pretty scandalous lyrically. I'd say those two and "Virgin Forest" by the Fuggs make the unholy trinity of proto-perv-prog epics LOL
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 23:03
^ I have a Mothers bootleg from '67 Stockholm ('Tis the Season to be Jelly) and some of the material is very, very close to progressive rock, in fact it's about as prog as ItCotCK

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 23:11
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I have a Mothers bootleg from '67 Stockholm ('Tis the Season to be Jelly) and some of the material is very, very close to progressive rock, in fact it's about as prog as ItCotCK

Interesting. I don't doubt it since some of the material on Uncle Meat is pretty dang prog. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 00:45

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 01:18
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I feel that the Beatles were not really much more than a sixties boy band. They had some interesting compositions for the time, but they really never escalated more than that. Maybe sometimes praise them a little to highly for something that wasn't that amazing.

Hmmm...

Typical 60's boy band music...?

Edited by Windhawk - July 07 2015 at 01:19
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 02:44
Can I just say no then leave without defending my position ;)

Prog was always a bit of a polyvalent beast. Some of it emerged from British blues groups like The Graham Bond Organisation, some of it was driven by electric blues, some of it (such as PG's vocals or The Crazy World of Arthur Brown) by soul. I think the whole Beatles -> prog thing is kind of a short hand for the ton of psychedelia that influenced different bits of the prog rock borg.

---

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

That is superb.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 03:51

Epic win. Thanks for this!
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 05:23
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Thanks to Atavachron!
Well, Frank Zappa had nothing to do with that melancholic, pastoral and moony English Symphonic rock that was born with above mentioned Strawberry Fields Forever, and which in 70s become the most popular subgenre of the progressive rock, but it's undebtedly that The Mothers of Invention was the very first progressive rock band ever.
La nouvelle terre View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 09:17
Some words of Peter Hammill about Tomorrow Never Knows:    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJJ7gQBdrZw
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 10:04

Thanks to Atavachron!
Well, Frank Zappa had nothing to do with that melancholic, pastoral and moony English Symphonic rock that was born with above mentioned Strawberry Fields Forever, and which in 70s become the most popular subgenre of the progressive rock, but it's undebtedly that The Mothers of Invention was the very first progressive rock band ever.
Perhaps I should have titled this thread 'Who really invented Prog? The Beatles or Zappa?'

I have a sixties (?) bootleg of the Grateful Dead that sounds 'pretty damn prog', so are the Dead a prog group? I don't think so.

Let's get back to the revered MOI album Freak Out! Dean went out of his way to expand on the meaning of archetype, to my benefit. Exactly what was archetypal about the music on Freak Out!? And who did it influence? KC? Genesis? Yes? Or anyone else shortly after it's release? No one that I can think of that enjoyed anything resembling mass popularity. Can and Pere Ubu's influences came from albums put out a few years later.

And why should this album be considered full blown progressive rock instead of Proto Prog?

If it comes down to a question of the Beatles vs Zappa, as who had the greater influence on progressive rock, the only thing I can say is "Frank who?" (With all due respect, to keep things civil and fun.)

Freak Out
 Jesus, Really?

And if it comes to the fact that Freak Out! is a concept album,  both Woody Guthrie and Frank Sinatra beat Zappa to it.

Edited by SteveG - July 07 2015 at 11:41
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 11:35
The Beatles' effect on rock music was profound. Yes, profound. Zappa felt compelled to offer a mirror copy of the Sgt. Pepper's album cover for We're Only In It For The Money (we only parody that which has the most influence and popularity). Brian Wilson nearly went mad trying to keep up with The Beatles. Mick Jagger and The Stones spent most of the 60s making albums in emulation of The Beatles, basically going from tree to tree and pissing on the same spots The Beatles had already left their mark.

And King Crimson have often noted their adoration of The Beatles: “The Beatles,” remarked Robert Fripp, “achieve probably better than anyone the ability to make you tap your foot first time round, dig the words sixth time round, and get into the guitar slowly panning the twentieth time”, and Bill Bruford commented, “It was felt after Sgt. Pepper anybody could do anything in music. It seemed the wilder the idea musically the better.”

So, as a proto-prog influence The Beatles were immense, but as others have commented nothing grows in a vacuum. The lyricism of Bob Dylan, the studio experimentation of The Beatles, the electrifying pyrotechnics of Hendrix, the mini-operas of The Who, the harmonies of The Beach Boys and the integration of orchestra and mellotron by The Moody Blues all were synthesized into rock within a few short eventful years, culminating in what eventually we would term prog-rock.

Edited by The Dark Elf - July 07 2015 at 12:02
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 12:37

Perhaps I should have titled this thread 'Who really invented Prog? The Beatles or Zappa?'

then you would have been hammered for incorrect choices.

The Nice in 1968.

and if you hear anything of Zappa or the Beatles in Ars Longa Vita Brevis.. let me know. I've never heard a smidge of it.

This was ... the right anwer IMO as far as the talking points so far.. excellent post Clap

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The Beatles' effect on rock music was profound. Yes, profound. Zappa felt compelled to offer a mirror copy of the Sgt. Pepper's album cover for We're Only In It For The Money (we only parody that which has the most influence and popularity). Brian Wilson nearly went mad trying to keep up with The Beatles. Mick Jagger and The Stones spent most of the 60s making albums in emulation of The Beatles, basically going from tree to tree and pissing on the same spots The Beatles had already left their mark.

And King Crimson have often noted their adoration of The Beatles: “The Beatles,” remarked Robert Fripp, “achieve probably better than anyone the ability to make you tap your foot first time round, dig the words sixth time round, and get into the guitar slowly panning the twentieth time”, and Bill Bruford commented, “It was felt after Sgt. Pepper anybody could do anything in music. It seemed the wilder the idea musically the better.”

So, as a proto-prog influence The Beatles were immense, but as others have commented nothing grows in a vacuum. The lyricism of Bob Dylan, the studio experimentation of The Beatles, the electrifying pyrotechnics of Hendrix, the mini-operas of The Who, the harmonies of The Beach Boys and the integration of orchestra and mellotron by The Moody Blues all were synthesized into rock within a few short eventful years, culminating in what eventually we would term prog-rock.

The Beatles indirectlly by their creativity, massive influence, and overall material success...laid the foundation by giving artists the freedom of the medium to explore oh which many in England in the late 60's ran with.

Zappa was a leading avant guarde artist.. had really very little to do with prog. Of course we have embraced him..as we have the music of RIO-AVANT...ut don't confuse him with prog. He wasn't...

Edited by micky - July 07 2015 at 12:38
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 12:53

Thanks to Atavachron!

I have a sixties (?) bootleg of the Grateful Dead that sounds 'pretty damn prog', so are the Dead a prog group? I don't think so.

Let's get back to the revered MOI album Freak Out! Dean went out of his way to expand on the meaning of archetype, to my benefit. Exactly what was archetypal about the music on Freak Out!? And who did it influence? KC? Genesis? Yes? Or anyone else shortly after it's release? No one that I can think of that enjoyed anything resembling mass popularity. Can and Pere Ubu's influences came from albums put out a few years later.

Who did Freak Out influence?... The Beatles for one LOL

Edited by TGM: Orb - July 07 2015 at 12:54
Gentle Yes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 13:16
  I think there is no doubt that psychedelic rock was the predecessor of progressive rock, i mean you can clearly hear some progressive elements in mid 60's bands... Now I think that saying that SFF was the first prog song (or album) is farfetched. The Beatles were a classic psychedelic-pop band, maybe too classic.. don't get me wrong, i like the Beatles, who doesn't? but i couldn't say that they have anything to do with prog.. SFF is maybe a little bit different from ohter Beatles songs as they wrote it in the psychedelic-colours-drugs etcetera era. Nevertheless it's just another Beatles song.
   It's too difficult to say with precision who wrote the first prog song or album.. most say it was Zappas Freak out! but Strawberry Alarm Clock who formed in 1966 (same year as Freak out!) have a lot more prog elements (for me). The same goes for The 13th floor elevators who existed before Freak Out!
  Anyway.. i think most of you would agree that finding the actual prog birth is almost impossible... The only thing i can say for sure is GENTLE GIANT RULE. LOL
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 13:23
Originally posted by Gentle Yes Gentle Yes wrote:

I think there is no doubt that psychedelic rock was the predecessor of progressive rock, i mean you can clearly hear some progressive elements in mid 60's bands... Now I think that saying that SFF was the first prog song (or album) is farfetched. The Beatles were a classic psychedelic-pop band, maybe too classic.. don't get me wrong, i like the Beatles, who doesn't? but i couldn't say that they have anything to do with prog.. SFF is maybe a little bit different from ohter Beatles songs as they wrote it in the psychedelic-colours-drugs etcetera era. Nevertheless it's just another Beatles song.
   It's too difficult to say with precision who wrote the first prog song or album.. most say it was Zappas Freak out! but Strawberry Alarm Clock who formed in 1966 (same year as Freak out!) have a lot more prog elements (for me). The same goes for The 13th floor elevators who existed before Freak Out!
  Anyway.. i think most of you would agree that finding the actual prog birth is almost impossible... The only thing i can say for sure is GENTLE GIANT RULE. LOL

Completely agree Clap

And yes, Gentle Giant does rule, they deserve more appreciation. Thumbs Up 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 13:52

Yeah, I've heard the King Kong suite from Uncle Meat. "Dog Breath" is another good proggy tune from that and one of my favorites from Zappa. If you ask me, King Kong is early jazz fusion (quite a feat in itself) with very small hints of classical (negligible really if you consider most jazz artists were influenced somewhat by classical). I wouldn't quite say it's full on prog in the same way ItCotCK is, but it is cool to know he was playing this stuff live in '67. I still think "Brown Shoes" is probably a better example of '67 proto-prog. I side with people saying Zappa was definitely an influence, but a little too avant-garde and reliant on humor to be what we usually consider prog. BUT no doubt Zappa and these other proto-prog artists were totally progressive in spirit. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 14:08
I warn you all I do NOT approve of the bestiality referenced in this video, but if ya'll love early Zappa and have not heard The Fugs, they arguably beat early Zappa at his game. Released March 1966. Definitely more ahead of its time than anything on Freakout.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>