Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Your life philosophies behind how you approach art
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour life philosophies behind how you approach art

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your life philosophies behind how you approach art
    Posted: July 06 2015 at 04:40
(cross-post from Facebook)

Serious question: Have I been the only person reading this whose taste in art, film and literature for the most part actually has gotten more old-fashioned instead of more contemporary as I get older?

Keep in mind that I used to read very little fiction from before WW1 or so, and watch very few movies from before the 1970s... because that's where the biggest stylistic paradigm shifts so far happened in each medium. As a result, novels and films/TV series from before then often felt like an alien language for me. Maybe it's because I've acquired a more academic approach to art with a greater degree of historical consciousness, but I realized there's so many influential works I'm not familiar with so I've been doing a lot of catching up to do... so there might be quite a few cultural nods to influences in favourite novels and films I've never noticed. Another reason is that I've noticed that so many common approaches to avantgarde/deconstruction/transgressive art have become well-established traditions by now, so they might have maintained their potential to yield works that could be satisfying on an aesthetic level it remains debatable how radical they still are. (Expressionism, Dada, Surrealism etc)

The strange thing is that it's the opposite way for me with music, I think that within the last couple years I finally feel like I'm constantly keeping tabs with what's going on right now in the music genres I find most interesting. This might have to do with me listening to more different genres than ever, and making more of an effort to discuss music with people in real life than I have since 2011 or so.

I guess it does not exactly help my case that I almost rarely if ever still blindly pick up (be it a book or a film or a music recording) something because I like the cover art or think the description on the back looks interesting, almost all the new stuff I get into I know either from its historical importance or because someone else recommended it to me...

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply