Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmerson and Wakeman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 09:56
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

agreed so I was really thinking more about his solo career . I would argue that Wakeman's best album with Yes was Going For The One probably because he gets to play pipe organSmile

"Parallels" and "Awaken" are two of Yes' finest songs, no debate required. Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 10:07
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

Both are technically very skilled. I think Emerson did a better job in composing. Wakeman was good in supplementing compositions by others in Yes.

One thing to keep in mind is how much Emerson adapted (whether you want to say "plagiarized" is up to you) to a rock context for ELP. Some of this material was credited to the original composer, some it was solely credited to ELP, like Janacek's "Sinfonietta" for "Knife Edge." Other composers Emerson adapted or "borrowed" from are Ginastera, Bartok, Copland, Bach, and so on. Apart from Mussorgsky, I was unaware of this when I first started listening to ELP. After I learned of it, I was still alright with it, it didn't intervene in my enjoyment of the music to any degree.

I do have to admit being slightly disappointed when I learned Emerson didn't write the keyboard melody that anchors "Touch and Go," though.
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 05:15
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Both are technically very skilled. I think Emerson did a better job in composing. Wakeman was good in supplementing compositions by others in Yes.

One thing to keep in mind is how much Emerson adapted (whether you want to say "plagiarized" is up to you) to a rock context for ELP.

Yes, he did this a lot. Wakeman composed more original pieces BUT I think Emerson's original compositions surpass Wakeman's.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 11:06

One thing to keep in mind is how much Emerson adapted (whether you want to say "plagiarized" is up to you) to a rock context for ELP.

Yes, he did this a lot. Wakeman composed more original pieces BUT I think Emerson's original compositions surpass Wakeman's.

Wakeman had to share the spotlight with three other writers in Yes. ELP is by and large the "Keith Emerson Show," except where they made room for Greg's ballads.

IMO, Emerson never recorded anything under his own name that can match Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII or Criminal Record (which I think is even better).
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 13:28
My favorite keyboarder is this:

Edited by BaldJean - August 01 2015 at 13:30

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 13:34
^Well she looks a great deal more interesting than Wakeman and EmersonApprove

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 14:15
Want to hear her play? Go here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW3V4rrRsw

She goes into solo flight at about 5:50

Edited by BaldJean - August 01 2015 at 14:16

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 14:21
^I love Barbara Dennerlein! She is literally Hot Stuff.

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 15:05

I'll find it and paste it here later.

I'm on pins and needles.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 16:00
Ah, this brings back the nostalgia of the Emerson vs. Wakeman pissing contest of the '70s. ELP and Yes fans were locked in mortal combat over which keyboardist was better, even though most loved both, and the media got to fan the flames. This was part of what propelled these bands to such grand heights, and it was always a fun topic of discussion. Being a fine pair of gentlemen, however, Emerson and Wakeman stayed far above the fray and were more than happy to bask in the limelight.

Comparing the two keyboardists is really a case of apples and oranges - they are both top-flight virtuosos, but each has a completely different style. Wakeman was amazing to see solo during the mid '70s - his playing was so fluid and effortless, and the jokes and stories he told between pieces were a blast. Emerson was something completely different - controlled chaos, a Moog modular wired to blow, and that poor abused organ that got tossed all over the stage. 

Those were fun days, indeed, and each left me with vivid memories of their performances that I expect will stick with me for the rest of my life.
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:13
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Comparing the two keyboardists is really a case of apples and oranges - they are both top-flight virtuosos, but each has a completely different style...Those were fun days, indeed, and each left me with vivid memories of their performances that I expect will stick with me for the rest of my life.

Exactly. Two very talented musicians with two very different styles. About the only thing their playing had in common were the keyboards. Loved them both then and still do today.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 22:16

Wakeman had to share the spotlight with three other writers in Yes. ELP is by and large the "Keith Emerson Show," except where they made room for Greg's ballads.

IMO, Emerson never recorded anything under his own name that can match Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII or Criminal Record (which I think is even better).

I'm afraid I know very little solo Emerson (only the one with Mark Bonilla, which I did enjoy), so I couldn't really compare his solo career with any of Wakeman albums... however, I do like those two Wakeman albums (and a few other's too) over any ELP album.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 01:24
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I'll find it and paste it here later.

I'm on pins and needles.

LOL

Sorry about that.

The Burning
G'olé!
The Family Album
Night Airs (solo piano)
Wakeman with Wakeman
The Heritage Suite (solo piano)
No Expense Spared (2nd Wakeman with Wakeman album)
Official Bootleg Live (W w/ W live)
The Piano Album
Themes
White Rock II
Out There
Revisited
Retro
Retro 2
Six Wives of Henry VIII Live at Hampton Court Palace
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 10:52

I don't know most of Wakeman's albums but I've listened to the ones that are supposed to be the best.
For example Six Wives is good but for me nothing comes close to Tarkus, Endless Enigma, Karn Evil or even Piano Concerto (a great achievement for a rock musician).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 13:37

I don't know most of Wakeman's albums but I've listened to the ones that are supposed to be the best.
For example Six Wives is good but for me nothing comes close to Tarkus, Endless Enigma, Karn Evil or even Piano Concerto (a great achievement for a rock musician).

I understand and respect your opinion. I was mainly comparing solo works with solo works, as opposed to their bands. Yes and ELP both recorded such incredible music. The 1970s were an amazing time. Keith and Rick have recorded and released great music after the '70s, too. I think their film music is underrated. At the very least, Inferno and G'olé! deserve a listen.

It's been said that Rick couldn't play "a blue note" if his life depended on it, while Emerson has been stuck in a rut for decades. People say many things, but all I know is that "Close to the Edge," "Gates of Delirium," "Awaken," "The Endless Enigma," "Tarkus" and "Karn Evil 9," among others, were so bar-raising, so trail-blazing, it's no wonder they sound as vital today, four decades later.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 21:22

From the songs you listed, the only one I actually like is Tarkus, and that one might be at the level of the music on Six Wives... but on that album, I like just about all of the music recorded, and the song Tarkus has that ridiculous middle section that just breaks the flow of great music for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 03:16

I understand and respect your opinion. I was mainly comparing solo works with solo works, as opposed to their bands. Yes and ELP both recorded such incredible music /.../

Then I agree.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 02:20
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

From the songs you listed, the only one I actually like is Tarkus, and that one might be at the level of the music on Six Wives... but on that album, I like just about all of the music recorded, and the song Tarkus has that ridiculous middle section that just breaks the flow of great music for me.

That organ 'popping' was one of the things that excited me about ELP at first. SO original and only a very gifted organist could pull that off imo

However that section was smoothed out somewhat on the live version from the triple album and in fact just about all the live versions I've heard. I guess Emerson may have come to the same conclusion.

Back on the general subject ELP was Emersons band while Yes clearly wasn't Wakemans. I think this made a massive difference to the creative output where Emerson was able to express himself fully in ELP while Wakeman did it as a solo artist. I must admit Six Wives shocked me when I first heard it (because it was so good) and I've always wondered what Emerson thought of that album. Wakeman did steel Emerson's thunder but then future solo album never quite hit that level again (again imo). I would however favourably compare Judas Iscariot to Piano Concerto No 1 , both being highly accomplished classical works by super talented rock musicians. I wonder where can you go from there?

Edited by richardh - August 05 2015 at 02:21
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 13:57
The parts I like by both on keyboards with ELP -Emerson and Wakeman - Yes...I like Emerson better ,but he was much more in the front in his 3 piece band.
I think ultimately Wakeman shined on his earlier solo work which Emerson never seemed to achieve.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 22:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

That organ 'popping' was one of the things that excited me about ELP at first. SO original and only a very gifted organist could pull that off imo

However that section was smoothed out somewhat on the live version from the triple album and in fact just about all the live versions I've heard. I guess Emerson may have come to the same conclusion.

Back on the general subject ELP was Emersons band while Yes clearly wasn't Wakemans. I think this made a massive difference to the creative output where Emerson was able to express himself fully in ELP while Wakeman did it as a solo artist. I must admit Six Wives shocked me when I first heard it (because it was so good) and I've always wondered what Emerson thought of that album. Wakeman did steel Emerson's thunder but then future solo album never quite hit that level again (again imo). I would however favourably compare Judas Iscariot to Piano Concerto No 1 , both being highly accomplished classical works by super talented rock musicians. I wonder where can you go from there?

I would put Myths and Legends, at least, at the same level as 6 Wives, perhaps even a bit higher (there are some songs that I don't like so much on Arthur, but some others that I like much more, like the opener). Then I guess it would have to be Criminal Record and Out There, and then Journey. Then there are some other great albums, or songs from some albums, but those are the ones that really stand out for me... as far as I know them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12