2 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best from Ozric Tentacles
    Posted: August 02 2016 at 07:16
To put in my two-bob's worth - I love the first 6 'Tape Albums' a lot, from Pungent through to Hidden Step are odd 4' and 5 ratings for me. After that it all becomes rather pear-shaped - all the albums are perfectly enjoyable, though lack a freshness and creativity level that I never thought would happen. TBH, On the recent years' studio recordings I don't hear Brandi playing an actual bass-guitar, and on Technicians, forget the bass, where's Balazs' drumming ?? He is a great drummer, yet the album tracks just sound all like programmed electronica.....?
I ask - WTF happened to Ed and the Ozrics ?? In this case, good enough is NOT near enough........but I know he's not performing his art to please a demanding douche-bag like me......
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 07:01
I go against the grain here, I tend to prefer the newer Ozrics albums.  I know I'm very much in the minority here.  What I will say however is that my favourite ever track of theirs is an older one, Eternal Wheel.  That is an absolute classic piece of music.  As for best album, I'm stuck between Waterfall Cities and Spirals in Hyperspace.  After further deliberation I voted for the latter.
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 03:02
Originally posted by charles_ryder charles_ryder wrote:

I vote for 'Become the Other', the heavy album where Ed's guitar sometimes sounds like Iron Maiden. However I like all they albums, excerpt "Curious Corn', I don't know why.

Funny assimilation, I often feel the same especially in some parts of his guitar solos (Vibuthi for example).
Curious Corn is very well written I find, but for me there's something cheesy/donkey kong country in its synths sounds. Afroclonk is a good example and can be funny but we can't say its specific to Curious Corn ^^ (Ch'ai on Waterfall Cities is really really funny too)   
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 14:14
I vote for 'Become the Other', the heavy album where Ed's guitar sometimes sounds like Iron Maiden. However I like all they albums, excerpt "Curious Corn', I don't know why.
om mani padme hum
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 13:53
Technicians is nice but I miss Zia Geelani's booming bass (a la Mike Howlett).  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 12:02
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Technicians is the perfect Ozric album for when I go to bed. I usually crash by track 2. It's an O.K. album, but they've lost the edge for me. The last truly memorable album was The Hidden Step. After that, only Paper Monkeys made any form of impression on me. Brandi is more than capable on bass guitar - live shows prove this - in the studio, she should pick up that four-stringed beast once in a while, it may just add the 'life' the music beckons.

See, I find all of the albums from Arborescence to Paper Monkeys to be "more of the same." As much as I've tried, none of those albums--even the excellent Spirals in Hyperspace--was able to "bring me inside." It took Technicians to make me feel that the band's studio presence was more than a repetition of old ideas. Or maybe they've just perfected all of those old ideas a brought them into the studio with the same enthusiasm as they have for their live performances.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 11:54
Originally posted by MonsterMagnet MonsterMagnet wrote:

I voted for Erpland because it's the one I feel the most close to. It has a lot of diversity and richness. But I have to say that the few last albums litterally blew my mind each time I listen to 'em. Especially "Technicians" of course which is at least as rich as Erpland. Naturally, we are somehow used now to their style so we are less easily surprised, however it appaers to me that their recent stuff are more sophisticated than what they did by the past. Songs as Zingbong or Epiphlioy have so much different musical ideas! I've the same feeling with Magma: it's not only as good as before, it's sometimes better! 

Exactly! As said further above, we have all kind of gotten used to the Ozric sound--which has remained fairly consistent over the years--but something about the sophistication and emotional allure of the songs on Technicians of the Sacred has brought me over. Only some of the songs from previous albums sucked me into that lush tropical world of imagination like "Tidal Convergence," "Eternal Wheel," "Sunhair," and "Jurassic Shift do, but nearly all of the songs on Technicians does that for me (only "The High Pass" and "Zingabong" fail). And remember:  Technicians is a double album, so that's a lot of musical connection!

But I do agree, Tom, the bass player on technicians  could be a little more adventurous--and forward in the mix! (like they used to)
Drew Fisher
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 16:14
Technicians is the perfect Ozric album for when I go to bed. I usually crash by track 2. It's an O.K. album, but they've lost the edge for me. The last truly memorable album was The Hidden Step. After that, only Paper Monkeys made any form of impression on me. Brandi is more than capable on bass guitar - live shows prove this - in the studio, she should pick up that four-stringed beast once in a while, it may just add the 'life' the music beckons.
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 13:37
I voted for Erpland because it's the one I feel the most close to. It has a lot of diversity and richness. But I have to say that the few last albums litterally blew my mind each time I listen to 'em. Especially "Technicians" of course which is at least as rich as Erpland. Naturally, we are somehow used now to their style so we are less easily surprised, however it appaers to me that their recent stuff are more sophisticated than what they did by the past. Songs as Zingbong or Epiphlioy have so much different musical ideas! I've the same feeling with Magma: it's not only as good as before, it's sometimes better! 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 23:48
^
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 21:18
Technicians of the Sacred has now supplanted Jurassic Shift as my favorite Ozrics.
Drew Fisher
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 13:20
Waterfall Cities is a masterpiece
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 09:10
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Tom Beggs Tentacles also has a certain ring to it Sounds like some sort of circus strongman.
.....maybe Tentacle Tom (but there's just something not quite right with that )
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 09:08
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

This is really tough. I haven't heard the new Technicians..... (on it's way though) - but, for me, I would have to say Erpland. That, with a gun at my head.
Still ERPLAND, and in some ways, I wish I hadn't heard Technicians..........to me shows the Ozrics playing in a generic electronica styling, and losing most of their soul. Give me the 40 minutes of Strangeitude over the 90 minutes of Technicians ANYDAY.
So I've moved on to Meshuggah, but 'Tom Meshuggah' sounds plain idiotic, so 'Tom Ozric' it remains.......
Technicians can be disappointing... especially for a bass player Tongue What about "Tomagoogoo"? LOL
You whacky funster
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 09:00
I have four or five of them. All really good. I'm a sucker for Gong stuff too. I'm not sure which I would really hold up as best. I voted Curious Corn because it's the most vivid in my memory for whatever reason, but I should give Erpland another listen.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 08:44
Tom Beggs Tentacles also has a certain ring to it Sounds like some sort of circus strongman.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 08:32

This is really tough. I haven't heard the new Technicians..... (on it's way though) - but, for me, I would have to say Erpland. That, with a gun at my head.
Still ERPLAND, and in some ways, I wish I hadn't heard Technicians..........to me shows the Ozrics playing in a generic electronica styling, and losing most of their soul. Give me the 40 minutes of Strangeitude over the 90 minutes of Technicians ANYDAY.
So I've moved on to Meshuggah, but 'Tom Meshuggah' sounds plain idiotic, so 'Tom Ozric' it remains.......
Technicians can be disappointing... especially for a bass player Tongue What about "Tomagoogoo"? LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 08:21
^ Nah, just keep it Flight123 -

Edited by Tom Ozric - March 16 2016 at 08:22
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 07:30
Does that mean I should call myself 'Rick Emerson, Lake and Palmer?'Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 07:00

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>