Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStand Up By Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stand Up By Jethro Tull
    Posted: July 07 2015 at 16:43
Or maybe, sit down. It's better than This Was but not really great, IMHO. What's your opinion of Tull's album Stand Up?

Edited by SteveG - July 07 2015 at 17:02
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 17:12
I do believe that its a STAND UP!

The blend of everything that will be Jethro Tull, the individual songs, the way theu are placed... I judge Stand Up a masterpiece. Every band member was at its finest, the compositions are great.

And there is something else: the sound is SO characteristic of 1969! Its absurd! The blend of blues, jazz and what will be the Progressive Rock with capital letters are all there! New Day Yesterday, Bouree, Nothing is easy, For a thousand mothers... and the acoustic ones.

All perfect.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 17:42
Along with Benefit, another early classic - some wonderful songs on it. Have a few versions including an Island pink label 1st pressing which sounds great! 
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 17:52
By the way: do your reviews of the album! I love to read'em and Stand Up deserves better rating!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 19:23
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

The blend of everything that will be Jethro Tull, the individual songs, the way theu are placed... I judge Stand Up a masterpiece. Every band member was at its finest, the compositions are great.

And there is something else: the sound is SO characteristic of 1969! Its absurd! The blend of blues, jazz and what will be the Progressive Rock with capital letters are all there! New Day Yesterday, Bouree, Nothing is easy, For a thousand mothers... and the acoustic ones.

All perfect.
Completely agree. Stand Up has beauty, as in "Reasons for Waiting", the first song scored for strings by David Palmer, as well as great syntheses of jazz, rock, folk and blues in songs like "Bouree", "Nothing Is Easy" and "Fat Man". Love that album.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 20:26
^ agreed with The Dark Elf. If you're expecting prog like Thick as a Brick or even Aqualung you'll be disappointed, but it shows the band stretching, and I think it has great songwriting. One of my top 5 favorite Tull albums. 
rocklife View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 21:00
FOR A THOUSAND MOTHERS IT'S REALLY EXPLOSIETRACK, ILOVE VERY MUCH THIS ALBUM, IT'S THE PRESENTATION OF REALLY JETHRO TULL EXPERIMENT AND UNIQUE LANGUAGE...BOURRE IT'S SUBLIME ONE OF THE BEST TRACK IN PROG HISTORY AND THE BASS OF GLENN CORNICK IS LEGEND(r.I.P. GLENN)...FAT MAN IS WONDERFUL A PIECE WITH ACOUSTIC INFLUENCE, AND NOTHING IS EASY IT'S REALLY BANG!!!! WE USED TOKNOW HAS ONE OF THE BEST SOLO OF ISTER LANCELOT BARRE, AND A NEW DAY YESTERDAY IT'S STORY8 EPIC BASS)
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 21:29
I think at the time I was listening to a lot of English folk/rock. Probably Fairport Convention and the like. Tull turned me on cos of the folky/bluesy sound. Similarly first Yes for me was the single version of All Good People which made me think they were a bit folky as well. My oh me, didn't Benefit and The Yes Album come as something of a shock.

Nonetheless I have good memories of those two early Tull albums but havn't given either a good listen in many a decade. Listening now to This Was having just played Stand Up. Both of them dated, for sure, but hey, not bad, bit more electric than I remembered. I always thought that Benefit was the big leap forward but it was Stand Up that propelled us on to embrace the Tull of Benefit and Aqualung and it remains for me an important milestone. Funnily enough listening to Benefit now, it seems much lighter than I remembered.

Edited by t d wombat - July 07 2015 at 21:31
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 02:46
Look into the sun and Living in the past are classics
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 06:39
In my top 10, maybe even in my top 5 of all time favorite albums.
An absolute masterpiece.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 06:45
I don't get what all the fuss is about this album.......
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 07:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Or maybe, sit down. It's better than This Was but not really great, IMHO. What's your opinion of Tull's album Stand Up?

Their absolute best, save TAAB. It's better than Aqualung and Benefit .... and light years ahead of whatever came after TAAB.

Stand Up was my first rock album (my dad's actually >> he bought it in 69 on the strength of Bourée), and I spent hours looking (that cover and the inside pop-upHeart) and listening to the album at the age of 6

(got a soft spot for This Was as well, but I only disdcovered thatone a decade later)

there isn't a single week song on it (unlike Benefit or to a lesseer extent Aqualung)

1. A New Day Yesterday (4:10) StarStarStarStarStar
2. Jeffrey Goes To Leicester Square (2:12) >> I'd bump that one on Benfit, but still StarStarStar
3. Bourée (3:47) StarStarStarStarStar
4. Back To The Family (3:48) StarStarStarStar
5. Look Into The Sun (4:21)StarStarStarStar
6. Nothing Is Easy (4:26) StarStarStarStarStar
7. Fat Man (2:52) StarStarStar
8. We Used To Know (4:00) StarStarStarStarStar + Star>> my fave on the album
9. Reasons For Waiting (4:06) StarStarStarStar
10. For A Thousand Mothers (4:13) StarStarStarStar

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

All perfect.
Completely agree. Stand Up has beauty, as in "Reasons for Waiting", the first song scored for strings by David Palmer, as well as great syntheses of jazz, rock, folk and blues in songs like "Bouree", "Nothing Is Easy" and "Fat Man". Love that album.
mmmm!!!... I think there was a single recorded with strings before RFW...
Actually Lady Palmer's strings over-arrangements did more wrong than good in the mid to late-70's.
Don't know why Anderson resorted to that soo often

Edited by Sean Trane - July 08 2015 at 07:05
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 07:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Maybe with me it is a bit as with Sean: in my case, I heard the album already when I was a kid.
We had the hit single "Bourée" (A-side) / "Look Into The Sun" (B-side) at home.
As a 7 year old I was already a big music fan, having my own record player, and Jethro Tull was a big favorite.
One of my older brothers had the album.

It is not prog, it is still proto-prog, but in Tull's case, the pre-progressive mix of blues, folk, rock and classical is a very strong one. The songs are also very good.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 07:39
I've had the early Tull albums since they came out and like them all.
Stand Up is my favorite by far.
Well, maybe not "by far", but it is definitely my favorite.

Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 15:28
Always been a huge favourite of mine. Musically, it's not close to Aqualung and TAAB, but there are so many incredible moments all the way through that haven't been pulled off on any other Tull album in the same way. It's been a long time since my last listen, so I need to get back into it and will write a review GKR! Its rating should be up there in the top 5 prog folk albums for sure (along with First Utterance for that matter). 

Seriously a classic 60s album; the fact it went number 1 in the UK proves our country's great taste. That said, I think Lionel Richie's top at the moment. What happened?! Cry
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 15:51
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Always been a huge favourite of mine. Musically, it's not close to Aqualung and TAAB, but there are so many incredible moments all the way through that haven't been pulled off on any other Tull album in the same way. It's been a long time since my last listen, so I need to get back into it and will write a review GKR! Its rating should be up there in the top 5 prog folk albums for sure (along with First Utterance for that matter). 

Seriously a classic 60s album; the fact it went number 1 in the UK proves our country's great taste. That said, I think Lionel Richie's top at the moment. What happened?! Cry

Totally agree with you, man. Along with your opinion of "First Utterance". Let me know when you wrote your review Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 16:46
Brilliant early Tull album.....not as good as Benefit or Aqualung imho but still killer.
Again I like the earlier albums better and when they started to go into the 'concept' albums like TAAB and PP I thought they overreached a bit.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 17:11
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Brilliant early Tull album.....not as good as Benefit or Aqualung imho but still killer.
Again I like the earlier albums better and when they started to go into the 'concept' albums like TAAB and PP I thought they overreached a bit.

Clap

not a particularly popular opinion ..definitely not a site like this obviously LOL  but I do agree..  I thought Tull were at their best at their first 4, musically peaked on the 3rd, creatively peaked on the 4th, and was a very long slide downhill after Aqualung.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 17:49
If I made a box set of the strong tracks from each year I would include Look into the sun, Living in the past, Jeffrey goes to Leicester square and Sweet dream
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 18:21
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Same here. Things got better only with their next album, IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>