Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLe Orme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Le Orme
    Posted: July 07 2015 at 18:21
Started looking at some Italian bands. I Have good Goblin and Banco collections and finding Le Orme to be the next best thing so far from Italy. Received Smogmagica and ordered Uomo and Contra. Some of the best italian prog I've heard. Strong compositions without trying to be too busy and not changing composition every 30 seconds like some italian prog bands. Really don't like bands such as Area. Anyway who likes Le Orme?

Edited by dr prog - July 07 2015 at 18:43
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 18:41
Area and Demtrio Stratos are gods to me...

But anyway, I do like Le Orme. They were the second ones from Italy I heard (the first ones where Osanna).

Always enjoy they're early style, Collage, Uomo di Pezza and Felona & Sorona are great albums to me.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 19:43
Uomo di Pezza's my favourite, but Felona e Sorona is of course great - don't forget to check it out. All in all, Le Orme's one of the best remembered RPI bands for a reason.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 20:06
my favorite of the big RPI bands by far.  I think their brand of prog mioght be a bit less complex or at least more overtly melodic, because I feel like I "get" le Orme.  Don't ignore their late 1970s albums like "Verita Nascoste" and :Storuia o Leggenda", and their trio of fine albums in the late 1990s and 2000s - Il Fiume, Elementi and L'Infinito all capture the early spirit with modernized production.  
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 20:35
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Don't ignore their late 1970s albums like "Verita Nascoste" and "Storuia o Leggenda",

Realy happy to read this, Keneth! These two are personal favourite Le Orme albums for me, even if they couldn't quite be regarded as in the same league as the quality of the first few proggy albums they did.

A real beauty, the keyboard-free `Florian' comes highly recommended as well, after the `classic' Le Orme albums have been invesitigated.

`Smogmagica' is actually one of their poorest, sadly it's got an amazing first track that really gets your hopes up, then it's mostly a steep downward slide into mediocrity after that.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 07 2015 at 20:36
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 21:18
La porta chiusa is awesome. Area sound like jazz or fusion to me. Not really melodic like prog
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 21:21
Smog is pretty cool. Only 1 or 2 weak tracks. Better than 2.6 stars as rated here
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 21:21
Oh, yes, Area is more closely to Jazz and other stuff. Nothing related to Le Orme. But I love their song and atitude.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 21:33
I also got pfm L'Isola which is more grunty than previous albums. Picked up libra shock also
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 00:47
Love Le Orme. Fave RPI band for me.
Smogmagica is one of the weakest, Collage, Uomo, Felona, Contrappunti, Live (though has a murky sound), and even Florian and Piccola are exquisite. The last few albums from them are highly enjoyable as well.
For what it's worth, I even like Venerdi !!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 02:05
Ditto Thumbs Up
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 04:23
Le Orme is a really interesting band, from a very melodic and accessible style of symphonic prog (Collage, Uomo di pezza, Felona e Sorona, Contrappunti) they turned to a beautiful folk-pop which can be heard on Florian and Piccola rapsodia dell'ape. I read about "Piccola rapsodia" having been less successful, but I like it more than its predecessor. I also like the melancholic soft rock they played on Veritŕ nascoste. It's not prog but it's very charming, particularly because of Tagliapietra's enchanting vocals. Like Tom Ozric I think that Smogmagica may be their weakest album. I don't remember it too well, to be honest.

I can strongly recommend their newer albums, especially the strong symphoprog concept album Elementi. Tagliapietra's solo albums "Nella pietra e nel vento" and "L'angelo rinchiuso" are also worth listening to, they're not really complex but their melancholic and nostalgic mood makes them very enjoyable for Le Orme fans.

Genesis fans will probably like the fact that artist Paul Whitehead, who did the artwork for Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and VdGG's H to He and Pawn Hearts, also designed the cover art for Le Orme's Smogmagica, Elementi and L'infinito, as well as Tagliapietra's Nella pietra e nel vento and L'angelo rinchiuso.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - July 08 2015 at 04:55
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 04:30
May I say this much : Uomo di Pezza is one of my true, Desert Island albums - I do have many, but out of a truckload..............and yes, Aldo really has the voice of an Angel (whatever you take that to be......) not a helium infused troll, like Jon Anderson (though I adore his singing, regardless)..........
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 06:38
Contrappunti is probably in my top 20 of all time favorite albums, but I also like Uomo Di Pezza and Felona E Sorona.
Haven't heard the rest yet.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 06:55
I love Le Orme. My favorites being Collage, Uomo, Felona, In Concerto, and Contrappunti. Not a weak or out of place track on any of those. Uomo di Pezza is especially endearing to me.
                 I find a real sincere emotional feel to their music.
       As far as  other RPI, I am a massive Libra fan, and have all their recordings (my fave Italian band) I also like Latte e Miele, Dedalus, Il baricentro, Banco and PFM very much.

Edited by presdoug - July 08 2015 at 11:39
Big Kid Josie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 10:18
I'll be honest, I haven't heard much 70's italian prog, except a little PFM.  I gather it's pretty good, based on everybody's comments I see here.  Is the singing in English or Italian?  It would hamper my ability to enjoy it some if it was sung and lyrics in Italian, as I don't speak or read it.

But I could enjoy the vocals just as sounds along with the music---I've had to do that with Yes songs before!LOL
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 11:49
Originally posted by Big Kid Josie Big Kid Josie wrote:

I'll be honest, I haven't heard much 70's italian prog, except a little PFM.  I gather it's pretty good, based on everybody's comments I see here.  Is the singing in English or Italian?  It would hamper my ability to enjoy it some if it was sung and lyrics in Italian, as I don't speak or read it.

But I could enjoy the vocals just as sounds along with the music---I've had to do that with Yes songs before!LOL
In a lot of cases, Italian is sung.Though I don't know Italian, I can appreciate hearing it sung by these Italian bands. It is a very romantic sounding language when sung!  I get the feeling that most Italian prog fans, even those that don't understand Italian, prefer hearing the Italian sung albums.
        Sometimes, an album was recorded with both an Italian and English version, and I can think of a couple of instances of this, where I prefer the English version, like with the Libra debut album, simply called "Libra", and an album by RDM (Il Rovescio della Medaglia) whose English version is called "Contamination". Their Italian sung counterpart albums are very fine, but I find in these cases, the English version sounds so right.

A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 13:10
Le Orme is awesome!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 13:17

One word: GOBLIN. All instrumental, no vocals (except for the album Il Fantastico Viaggio del Bagarozzo Mark, with Italian vocals by guitarist Massimo Morante, and not counting the excellent Cherry Five album which predates Goblin).

One of my all-time favorite bands.

Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 15:19
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

In a lot of cases, Italian is sung.Though I don't know Italian, I can appreciate hearing it sung by these Italian bands. It is a very romantic sounding language when sung!

I can second that. Though I understand only a few words now and then, Italian sounds most beautiful to me when sung. After all it is a question of personal taste, but it can also be fascinating if you don't understand the lyrics and listen to the voice as if it was one of the instruments.

Acqua Fragile is an Italian prog band who used to have English vocals, also the wonderful album Papillon by Latte e miele was released in an English version.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>