FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCamel - Barbican, York, UK 8th July 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camel - Barbican, York, UK 8th July 2015
    Posted: July 09 2015 at 03:32
My first Camel gig since - gulp - 1981.  What a great evening - Andy Latimer is one of those rare artists who can't hide his absolute delight at being on stage.  It clearly infected the audience too.  The set was a 'reverse' spin through the catalogue opening with 'Never Let Go'.  Although The Snow Goose was not referred to, the focus on Moonmadness more than compensated, personally I loved hearing 'Air Born' live and even 'Spirit of the Water' (fleetingly dedicated to Peter Bardens) was performed.  I must admit I lost touch with their catalogue after Nude, so I would be grateful if any PA'ers who were also present could let me know the title of the last two or three songs that came after 'Drafted'.  The encores were a very lively and enthralling 'Lady Fantasy' and 'Long Goodbyes' dedicated to Chris Rainbow and Guy Le Blanc.  An absolute pleasure to see them again after a gap of - er - 34 years!!
Matthew _Gill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 04:06
Great gig, even though a lot of my favourite Camel songs were omitted it was still one of the best and most intimate gigs I've been to, the audience were very respectful. I've seen a lot of footage of them live and I have to say the band's vocals and Andy's playing are at an all time high imo.

I'll never forget the collective "groan" from the audience when the lights came on during the second calling for another encore. 

Got piss-wet through before the gig. 
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 07:57
Just discovered they came on for second encores at Bath: 'Rhayader' extracts from The Snow Goose!  The last three songs came from Dust and Dreams, which of course, I need to get now!

Edited by Flight123 - July 09 2015 at 07:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 10:03
  1. Ice 
  2. Encore:
Dust and Dreams is a great album as are all Camel's albums from the 90's onwards imo.

Edited by Matthew _Gill - July 09 2015 at 10:07
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 17:39
Excellent feedback thanks one and allThumbs Up
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 10:45
Originally posted by Matthew _Gill Matthew _Gill wrote:

Great gig, even though a lot of my favourite Camel songs were omitted it was still one of the best and most intimate gigs I've been to, the audience were very respectful. I've seen a lot of footage of them live and I have to say the band's vocals and Andy's playing are at an all time high imo.

I'll never forget the collective "groan" from the audience when the lights came on during the second calling for another encore. 

Got piss-wet through before the gig. 

This is EXACTLY what I would have said, except I also got a bit wet after the gig in the Phoenix!

That they could leave out my favourite album (the Goose) completely and still play such an enthralling set amazes me. And Andy Latimer is even better than he was on the 2013/4 tour.

We wanted a second encore, I think the band did, so it must have been the venue management that stopped it.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 13:50
I wonder why they don't perform any tracks from Rajaz in their gigs?

Edited by aliano - July 10 2015 at 13:52
pauly361 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 15:21
I saw them at Bath Forum and would Echo what the OP has said in the first post, absolutely brilliant. Although I do have a couple of small corrections to make to previous posters:

At Bath they DID play Lost and Found from Rajaz. The set at York appears to be two songs shorter than Bath, omitting both Lost and Found and Echoes.

They only played the one encore at Bath, the same as York. It was St Albans the previous night where they played two.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 04:31
Aliano, they played one song off the amazing 'Rajaz' in their opening gig. I really wish they'd play 'Lawrence' (and we did shout for it) as imo I think it's the greateat song of all time.

Edited by Matthew _Gill - July 20 2015 at 04:32
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 15:43
Went to the Bath gig, it was fantastic! Took my brother who got me into Camel by playing Mirage to me when i was 14! He'd never seen them live and was really moved by the performance and reception from the audience! It was a great set list, right across the ages with some really fantastic moments- my favourite being lunar Sea. Prior to the Salisbury 2013 gig i last saw them in (i think) 86 at the Colston hall then before that the Nude tour 81 at Bournemouth Winter gardens..

John Schatt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 22:00
John Schatt the legendary Manager of the Filmpow Corporation looked after Peter Bardens for most of Peters life, and regarded him as one of the best keyboard players of his generation.
 Post Reply Post Reply