Topic ClosedNeal Morse - An Agnostic's View

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 19:22
Stern SmileLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 22:22
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

J

If Morse said "All the atheists are sons of a harlot", you would be protesting

The difference between us, is that I would be protesting with you.

We Catholics believe that salvation is for everybody, despite their religion

Better get informed.

Nah. He's free to throw as many insults as he likes. Water off a duck's back.

I confess that while I knew that the Catholic church is somewhat easier on sinners than the prodos I didn't know they were that easy. Seems strange but you are correct in that I guess I should get informed.

Seems like a get out of jail free card.

My point all along has been that I reckon you are overly sensitive to what Morse said with the addenda that I think it's a bit different attacking the church to attacking the deity. I still think that.

Oh well, I'll go back to meek me .... be satisfied with inheriting the earth. Smile

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 22:27
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

I confess that while I knew that the Catholic church is somewhat easier on sinners than the prodos I didn't know they were that easy. Seems strange but you are correct in that I guess I should get informed.

The Catholic Church is not easier on sins, but being from a different faith is not a sin

Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

My point all along has been that I reckon you are overly sensitive to what Morse said with the addenda that I think it's a bit different attacking the church to attacking the deity. I still think that.

Read the thread, I'm not the only one

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 07:48
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

FALSE

We Catholics believe that salvation is for everybody, despite their religion

a) Non Catholic Christians

Dogmatic Constitution of the Catholic Church - Lumen Gentium

15. The Church recognizes that in many ways she is linked with those who, being baptized, are honored with the name of Christian, though they do not profess the faith in its entirety or do not preserve unity of communion with the successor of Peter. (14*) For there are many who honor Sacred Scripture, taking it as a norm of belief and a pattern of life, and who show a sincere zeal.

b) Jewish

16. Finally, those who have not yet received the Gospel are related in various ways to the people of God.(18*) In the first place we must recall the people to whom the testament and the promises were given and from whom Christ was born according to the flesh.

c) Moslems

But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Muslims, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind.

d) Non Christians

Nor is God far distant from those who in shadows and images seek the unknown God, for it is He who gives to all men life and breath and all things,(127) and as Saviour wills that all men be saved.(128) Those also can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience.

e) Atheists

Nor does Divine Providence deny the helps necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God and with His grace strive to live a good life.

Better get informed.

Hmm, I went to Catholic Church for the first 18 years of my life (and not a once in the 28 years since then), but I've never heard any of that...

The one thing I do greatly respect the Catholic Church for over the other Christian religions is the focus on good works, rather than just "faith alone".  I don't believe in heaven, but if such a thing existed and simple "yes I believe it" being the one thing to get you there, well it just irks me!

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 08:47
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I don't mind the Christian lyrics.  I do mind that Neal's lyrics are cliché.  I can tune out the lyrics if the music mesmerized me.   
The deal breaker for me is-  Each time I audition one of Neal's albums, I get excited about the music only to find myself bored after 5-10 minutes.   Like an earlier poster said, " I can't put my finger on what's wrong with the music."  So I put Spock's Bread V on and enjoy.  
Another thing-  I wish Neal didn't sing lead on so many Transatlantic songs.

Totally agree. It's been ages since I've heard Neal Morse, and as someone somewhere between agnostic and theist, I admire he's doing it. However, I often simply don't like his lyrics and it's the same problem I have with musical protesters (even Bob Dylan at times), when it gets too bogged down in the subject and loses its substance/meaning. Even though progressive music is to do with bringing in new influences, I do think there's another way that he could get across his message that would be more engaging (for me at least). Anyway, really not a fan of the guy, lyrically and musically, and I don't think I've ever even made it through a whole album of his Confused
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 13:21
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Hmm, I went to Catholic Church for the first 18 years of my life (and not a once in the 28 years since then), but I've never heard any of that...

The one thing I do greatly respect the Catholic Church for over the other Christian religions is the focus on good works, rather than just "faith alone".  I don't believe in heaven, but if such a thing existed and simple "yes I believe it" being the one thing to get you there, well it just irks me!

That's the problem of the Catholic Church

Many people don't hate the Catholic Faith, they hate what they believe of the Catholic Church

I don't know if for some kind of arrogance because we are almost twice all the other Christian religions, cults and sects together or because the complexity and length of our doctrine, we don't inform people our own beliefs

But a couple photos speak more than words

But if you want to read about our real beliefs (Won't make you Catholic, not trying to convert you), you can read

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html

N° 15 and 16

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 19 2015 at 13:27

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 17:35
I quite like Neal Morse's lyrics, though I admit that they can be preachy. I hardly care whether lyrics are christian or not. Anyway, it is good to find someone who is both christian and capable of making good prog music. Such people are rare and therefore should be cherished. Many of my churchmates listen to nothing but so-called "christian music". Whatever that might be, it has a few characteristics: it is made by a separate subculture, never original, seldom annoying, often mediocre and always ad usum Delphini. I tend to keep away from it, except for a handful of guilty pleasures that my ears have caught when I am sitting in a car with mrs. s_e, who has something with "worship music", in the driver's seat.

Q.E.D.: I just want to plea for protection for the rare species of christians who add something substantial to prog.

Edited by someone_else - July 19 2015 at 17:36
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 17:49
I like artists who display real passion for what they do - regardless of whether or not I subscribe to their personal philosophy. With that in mind, I think Neal Morse's solo output is far superior to anything he ever did with the might Spock's Beard. As a Christian myself I know that I'm extremely biased but I believe Morse to be the best thing in Prog since the glory days of Yes/Genesis/ELP. Just my two cents worth. 
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 23:10
If you are going to listen to an album or albums entitled Testimony and Testimony II then I think you know what your are going to hear.  Get over it or don't put it on.  If you don't subscribe to what he believes at least realize this is what he does believe.  ? and Sola Scriptura were concept albums. Concept, the idea of making a conceptual story around a central theme.  You do not have to agree with the theme. Since then his albums are pretty much stand alone albums.  

People say Neal is repetitive in themes.  i don't necessarily think they are repetitive but reflect his style.  If you look at the sum total of everything he has written and released since the first SB album it is staggering in the amount of music he has produced in several different bands as well as his solo work.  On top of that Neal doesn't hold back his sketches as he release almost all of his demos through his inner circle club. A great example of that was the Infinite fire demo that he and Steve Morse wrote from the first Flying Colors CD.   Then add in the live albums and DVDs with all of the groups sheesh the guy is a machine.  Certainly sooner or later he may recapture a similar theme but most of his stuff it moves forward.  Remember every CD he has written equals at least 2 albums form the 70's guys.  I want to add the newest album with input from all members of his band may be the best thing he has released in a while and refreshes his style in ways he would not have conceived by himself but shows how much he is willing to move forward.   

The guy is extremely talented and he surrounds himself with guys who are on the same plane.  It may seem simple but it is far from it.  

Finally, I have had the pleasure to talk to Neal on a few occasions and the guy is pretty genuine.  What you see is what you get.  He never comes off as pretentious or put out talking with fans, Christian and not, and he loves music. All kinds of music.   I will let pass things I don't agree with because he writes music that is challenging, emotional and he can cover several different arenas of styles.  He is not afraid to pay tribute to his influences as well even in the moment in his concerts.  
He is an autobuy for me albums and concerts.  

Edited by Garion81 - December 19 2015 at 23:13

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 22:57
For any Morse fan......is there a solo  album by him where he explains in his lyrics why or how he got into Christianity? Did this happen during Spock's Beard or before...? Did he have a 'vision' or was it a gradual acceptance of Christianity?
Just curious.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 03:26
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

For any Morse fan......is there a solo  album by him where he explains in his lyrics why or how he got into Christianity? Did this happen during Spock's Beard or before...? Did he have a 'vision' or was it a gradual acceptance of Christianity?
Just curious.

Testimony - the album, and, if you're really interested, he has written a book of the same name which tells how he feels that God was pursuing him all his life and various circumstances eventually led him to embrace Christianity. His conversion happened whilst he was in Spock's Beard and Transatlantic, and it was because of it that he decided to leave both bands (though he eventually reformed Transatlantic).
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 07:45
I don't really mind the lyrics anymore, but I have always had a hard time with his Michael Bolton vocals.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 11:40
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Just curious.

Testimony - the album, and, if you're really interested, he has written a book of the same name which tells how he feels that God was pursuing him all his life and various circumstances eventually led him to embrace Christianity. His conversion happened whilst he was in Spock's Beard and Transatlantic, and it was because of it that he decided to leave both bands (though he eventually reformed Transatlantic).

Thanks for the info...I'll ck out Testimony the album....don't think I'm going to buy his book though.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 12:44
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

If you are going to listen to an album or albums entitled Testimony and Testimony II then I think you know what your are going to hear.  Get over it or don't put it on.  If you don't subscribe to what he believes at least realize this is what he does believe.  ? and Sola Scriptura were concept albums. Concept, the idea of making a conceptual story around a central theme.  You do not have to agree with the theme. Since then his albums are pretty much stand alone albums.  

People say Neal is repetitive in themes.  i don't necessarily think they are repetitive but reflect his style.  If you look at the sum total of everything he has written and released since the first SB album it is staggering in the amount of music he has produced in several different bands as well as his solo work.  On top of that Neal doesn't hold back his sketches as he release almost all of his demos through his inner circle club. A great example of that was the Infinite fire demo that he and Steve Morse wrote from the first Flying Colors CD.   Then add in the live albums and DVDs with all of the groups sheesh the guy is a machine.  Certainly sooner or later he may recapture a similar theme but most of his stuff it moves forward.  Remember every CD he has written equals at least 2 albums form the 70's guys.  I want to add the newest album with input from all members of his band may be the best thing he has released in a while and refreshes his style in ways he would not have conceived by himself but shows how much he is willing to move forward.   

The guy is extremely talented and he surrounds himself with guys who are on the same plane.  It may seem simple but it is far from it.  

Finally, I have had the pleasure to talk to Neal on a few occasions and the guy is pretty genuine.  What you see is what you get.  He never comes off as pretentious or put out talking with fans, Christian and not, and he loves music. All kinds of music.   I will let pass things I don't agree with because he writes music that is challenging, emotional and he can cover several different arenas of styles.  He is not afraid to pay tribute to his influences as well even in the moment in his concerts.  

holy hell.. a Brian sighting! ClapHeart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 18:43

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Just curious.

Thanks for the info...I'll ck out Testimony the album....don't think I'm going to buy his book though.

There are two Testimony albums. One released in 2003 I think that marked the start of his solo prog career and Testimony II in 2011 which also coincided with the the release of his book.  He felt he left out some important information fro the first album.  Great song on the second one called Time Changer about his situation in Spock's Beard and in The Eric Burdon Band. 

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 18:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

holy hell.. a Brian sighting! ClapHeart

LOL Hey Michael! Smile

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 18:54
Merry Christmas to you and your family Brian!  Hope you all have a colder one that we will hahaha
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 18:57

Merry Christmas to you and your family Brian!  Hope you all have a colder one that we will hahaha

Merry Christmas to you and Raff too,  sir!  You know it is only going to be 64 on Christmas at least in the forecast now.  You maybe right! Shocked

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 18:59
you will be then haahha.  They are calling for 75 here.  So what is next.. snow and ice on Labor Day here.

D.C weather.. love it
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 00:10

you will be then haahha.  They are calling for 75 here.  So what is next.. snow and ice on Labor Day here.

D.C weather.. love it

Well then enjoy it.  Put on shorts and flip flops and head outside and get some sunshine!  I try and tell people what that is like to do that on Christmas but you have a real chance to do that now!  Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>