Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Talk Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTalk Talk

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
Goodminton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: July 11 2015
Location: Oregon
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talk Talk
    Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:45
Anyone else love Talk Talk? They're so underrated, it seems like only musicians have heard of them and if others have heard of them, it's usually only for their single "It's My Life" which while a great song is so far from their best. I consider them the Pink Floyd of the 80s.

I think Spirit of Eden is at least on par with Dark Side of the Moon; it would be a toss-up to me which of those two albums is the greatest popular music album ever made. Listening to that album makes my jaw drop in amazement at parts because it's so majestic and epic. It's definitely my favorite album of the 1980s.

Their influence is really overlooked too. Not only did they invent post-rock (though I'd give Simple Minds and Tears for Fears some credit too), their music has had a strong influence on Britpop, trip hop, emo and tons of music in general that's been released in the 90s and later.

All five of their albums are brilliant in their own way but my favorites are Spirit of Eden followed by Colour of Spring.





Edited by Goodminton - July 11 2015 at 14:48
Back to Top
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 03 2012
Location: Russia
Status: Offline
Points: 1534
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:54
I love their later stuff. Aongside with David Sylvian's Secrets of the Beehive it was the start of wholly new era in music. These albums have predicted the appearance of post-rock and modern atmospheric prog bands like Porcupine Tree & Anathema.
This night wounds time.
Back to Top
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 07 2015
Location: Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 305
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:54
I like it too. I know only The Colour of Spring and The Spirit of Eden and even though it's not my favourite music, I think I can understand what is so interesting and influential about it. I plan to continue with Laughing Stock. To be honest, somebody warned me not to buy their older albums, but I think listening to them will not do me any harm either.
Back to Top
Goodminton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: July 11 2015
Location: Oregon
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:58
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

I like it too. I know only The Colour of Spring and The Spirit of Eden and even though it's not my favourite music, I think I can understand what is so interesting and influential about it. I plan to continue with Laughing Stock. To be honest, somebody warned me not to buy their older albums, but I think listening to them will not do me any harm either.

Their first two albums can be a little cheesy at times but they're still very good in their own right. You can already hear hints of what they'd become in songs like "Such a Shame" and "Renee" from their It's My Life album. One of the amazing things about Talk Talk is how much they grew and improved over the years.
Back to Top
Goodminton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: July 11 2015
Location: Oregon
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 15:00
I want this played at my funeral.


Back to Top
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: August 17 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Online
Points: 5532
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 17:04
You should try the Live in Montreux DVD , showcasing their "poppier" side. Hollis is phenomenal in his delivery, a thrill to watch! "Its My Life"  is a classic album! I have and love them all. 
"The more I analyze the human race, the more I love my dog" Mme de Stael
Back to Top
Goodminton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: July 11 2015
Location: Oregon
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 17:34
Does anyone else think Talk Talk's music sounds kind of Western? In particular Living In Another World? I think it would be awesome if there was an arthouse Western type movie that used Talk Talk songs for the soundtrack.
Back to Top
Goodminton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: July 11 2015
Location: Oregon
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 17:34
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

You should try the Live in Montreux DVD , showcasing their "poppier" side. Hollis is phenomenal in his delivery, a thrill to watch! "Its My Life"  is a classic album! I have and love them all. 

I've seen it, it's excellent! Big smile
Back to Top
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: October 02 2005
Location: .
Status: Offline
Points: 46583
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 19:08
love me some Talk Talk..every bad boy has his introspective side and I love this group and their albums with complete and utter passion. All the albums and the Hollis solo albums. Fabulous stuff man.


where in Oregon you at Goodminton?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Back to Top
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: February 08 2008
Location: Location
Status: Offline
Points: 28772
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 19:13
I've only really listened to Spirit of Eden and Colour of Spring so far, both are pretty incredible.
Back to Top
Goodminton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: July 11 2015
Location: Oregon
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 20:56
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

love me some Talk Talk..every bad boy has his introspective side and I love this group and their albums with complete and utter passion. All the albums and the Hollis solo albums. Fabulous stuff man.


where in Oregon you at Goodminton?

Eugene Smile
Back to Top
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 14 2013
Location: West Virginia
Status: Offline
Points: 381
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 21:55
Just bought Spirit of Eden.
Intelligent, emotional, and visceral classic to modern prog rock broadcast live every Sunday 6-9 pm EST on www.houseofprog.com.



Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Back to Top
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Prog-Folk Team

Joined: December 06 2006
Location: New England
Status: Offline
Points: 6887
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 22:00
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

I love their later stuff. Aongside with David Sylvian's Secrets of the Beehive it was the start of wholly new era in music. These albums have predicted the appearance of post-rock and modern atmospheric prog bands like Porcupine Tree & Anathema.

God, secrets of the beehive practically defined a genre.  I just wish more bands were in that genre.  Then again, I'm not sure Sylvian would have done what he did if he hadn't listened to Nick Drake
Back to Top
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 08 2006
Location: Bay Area
Status: Offline
Points: 472
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 03:04
Originally posted by Goodminton Goodminton wrote:

Anyone else love Talk Talk? They're so underrated, it seems like only musicians have heard of them and if others have heard of them, it's usually only for their single "It's My Life" which while a great song is so far from their best. I consider them the Pink Floyd of the 80s.

I think Spirit of Eden is at least on par with Dark Side of the Moon; it would be a toss-up to me which of those two albums is the greatest popular music album ever made. Listening to that album makes my jaw drop in amazement at parts because it's so majestic and epic. It's definitely my favorite album of the 1980s.

Their influence is really overlooked too. Not only did they invent post-rock (though I'd give Simple Minds and Tears for Fears some credit too), their music has had a strong influence on Britpop, trip hop, emo and tons of music in general that's been released in the 90s and later.

All five of their albums are brilliant in their own way but my favorites are Spirit of Eden followed by Colour of Spring.


I'm so glad somebody finally brought up Talk Talk - Thank you -
Yes I agree they were so underrated and largely overlooked at the time, what with the synth-pop invasion of the 80's - It was the beginning of music videos and the birth of the MTV generation-

Mark Hollis' superb voice was so emotionally intense and powerful I had not heard in a long time-Yet there was something grand, unsettling, but distinct about their music- dare I say even progressive-especially in the title track song, "The Party's Over." I love every track this group recorded-

One side note here-Talk Talk supported Genesis at their "Reunion Concert with Peter Gabriel in October '82 at Milton Keynes, England-


- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Back to Top
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: October 02 2005
Location: .
Status: Offline
Points: 46583
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 09:06
Originally posted by Goodminton Goodminton wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

love me some Talk Talk..every bad boy has his introspective side and I love this group and their albums with complete and utter passion. All the albums and the Hollis solo albums. Fabulous stuff man.


where in Oregon you at Goodminton?

Eugene Smile


Clap  Saw my first concert (the Association) at Autzen many many years ago. From Portland originally and moved east in the 80's.  Welcome to the site btw! Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Back to Top
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: May 13 2005
Status: Online
Points: 1629
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 01:47
Talk Talk.....Eden, Spring and Stock - to me, some of the best music of the 80s/early 90s. Even their earlier albums aren't your run-of-the-mill syth Roxy retread. 
Didn't know they opened for the Genesis reunion....great prog trivia question.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Back to Top
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Neo Prog Team

Joined: July 02 2008
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Points: 3126
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 03:13
Great band Clap.

One of the shining lights in the sea of dross that was the 80s.
Back to Top
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: July 13 2005
Location: Essex, UK
Status: Offline
Points: 16425
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 06:31
Originally posted by Goodminton Goodminton wrote:


I think Spirit of Eden is at least on par with Dark Side of the Moon;
Spirit of Eden is quite possibly the greatest album ever made.
Back to Top
TornadoTongue View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: June 20 2015
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Points: 34
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 17:30
The Spirit of Eden album is bliss.
Back to Top
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 03 2005
Location: Olympus Mons
Status: Offline
Points: 15828
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 17:48
I've never listened to these guys. I only know a hit song called Talk Talk.
Lots of praise for this band I notice.
I'm not immune to 80's synth-pop/New-Wave (I love Kajagoogoo, Haircut One-Hundred, Buggles, Japan, The Cure....) but never looked in to Talk Talk. Maybe it's time........
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.