Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTalk Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 04:43
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I've never listened to these guys. I only know a hit song called Talk Talk.
Lots of praise for this band I notice.
I'm not immune to 80's synth-pop/New-Wave (I love Kajagoogoo, Haircut One-Hundred, Buggles, Japan, The Cure....) but never looked in to Talk Talk. Maybe it's time........

Well they were a synth-pop kind of band to start with (I once saw them supporting Duran Duran) but their later albums are definitely not.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 13:00
The development of Talk Talk from their first album to their last is the most incredible development of any band ever, I think. The first album isn't particularly strong. It has the odd nice song (I'm fond of the Talk Talk song actually) and Mark's voice of course, but the sound is bad bad synthipop. It's hard to imagine anything more different to the sound and production of Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock than actually Talk Talk's first album.
It's My Life still sounded quite thin and cheesy but already had several examples of amazing songwriting. Actually there's a very nice single "My Foolish Friend", which appeared, I think, a bit later than the first album; this made me aware of them at the time and is the first example of their songwriting competence. Nothing "proggy" but very enjoyable pop music.
The first thing that really blew me away was watching them live, particularly the version of  "Call in the Nightboy", on the tour on which the Montreux CD was recorded. I think it's also on youtube. On that tour, they improved their sound and dynamics big time, despite playing the same songs as before.
"Colour of Spring" then is their first truly excellent album with top notch catchy songs, wonderfully warm and deep sound, and some clear experimental/prog elements.
Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are then just a league on their own.
Mark Hollis' solo album, by the way, is also great, as are the two .O.rang albums. Pity that both these acts growing out of Talk Talk have ceded to produce stuff.
By the way, Talk Talk are actually very strongly appreciated and pretty well known also outside the Prog world. The really stunning band that nobody knows is .O.rang - check them out! (It seems difficult to get hold of their first CD "Herd of Instinct" which I think is the better one - actually 5 star material in my books.)   

Did I mention that I'm a big fan? Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12