Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich PA member do you miss the most?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 18:12
I guess I just have some dire memories of barely surviving Elephant malt liquor....which I guess is Danish anyway.  We do make some damn good beer now, and also California wine holds up very well. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 18:17
LOL  now that does sound brutal Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 18:29
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I guess I just have some dire memories of barely surviving Elephant malt liquor....which I guess is Danish anyway.  We do make some damn good beer now, and also California wine holds up very well. 

We have something far more potent than that in Scandinavia.

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 18:46
I miss Chris (Syzygy), Martin (Trotsky), Zak (Meurglys)

And I'm really unhappy that we had to wait until halfway of the seond page to remember Bob (Easly Livin)

To a lesser extent, I miss Tony (actually his first incarnation almost more than his admin one)

Some I miss because all too rare are Martin (Alucard), Rollie (Chicapah), Ivàn (for our "esoteric" conversations) and a few more like Oliverstoned... and yes, even Philippe

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I miss the atmosphere rather than any specific people. Though things in the "good old days" were often fraught with controversy and strife, there was also a genuine sense of caring for each other that has gone almost completely missing. Case in point? The birthday threads. Nowadays hardly anyone wishes other members happy birthday, even if we've been around here for years. A forum is a community of people, after all, and this sense of community is something that - when things go the way they should - goes well beyond the fake friendship of Facebook and other social media. Now all I can perceive is indifference, and this makes me a bit sad.

Yes, I soooooo miss the permanent war zone, where the living was dangerous andthe expected lifetime in combat was estimated at a few weeks. LOL And yet, behind all of the missiles and uranium-loaded grenades distributed/exchanged or thrown in the other team's trenches, we did all care for us in general.

As for BDs, I never really looked at those, though I know participating at this is a civil wisdom...

But last time I did, I wished a certain Ghostrider a HB, and had it totally wrong EmbarrassedLOL

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 18:56
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Yes, I soooooo miss the permanent war zone, where the living was dangerous and the expected lifetime in combat was estimated at a few weeks. LOL  And yet, behind all of the missiles and uranium-loaded grenades distributed/exchanged or thrown in the other team's trenches, we did all care for us in general.

damn straight man....Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 19:16
Olav, I'll take your word on that....my old carcass just shivered looking at those! 

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 19:25

Olav, I'll take your word on that....my old carcass just shivered looking at those! 

Hehe

Akvavit, like vodka, is distilled from either grain or potatoes.[5] After distillation, it is flavoured with herbs, spices, or fruit oil. Commonly seen flavours are caraway, cardamom, cumin, anise, fennel, and lemon or orange peel.[5] Dill and “grains of paradise” are also used. The Danish distillery Aalborg makes an akvavit distilled with amber.

The recipes and flavours differ between brands, but caraway is typically the dominant flavour. Akvavit usually has a yellowish hue, but this can vary from clear to light brown, depending on how long it has been aged in oak casks (Norway) or the amount of colorant used. Normally, a darker colour suggests a higher age or the use of young casks, though artificial caramel colouring is permitted. Clear akvavit is called taffel; it is typically aged in old casks that do not colour the finished spirit or not aged at all.

Peculiar to the Norwegian tradition are Linje Aquavits (such as "Løiten Linje" and "Lysholm Linje"). Linje Aquavit is named after the tradition of sending oak barrels of aquavit with ships from Norway to Australia and back again, thereby passing the equator ("linje") twice before being bottled. The constant movement, high humidity and fluctuating temperature cause the spirit to extract more flavour and contributes to accelerated maturation.

Norwegian aquavit distillers Arcus has carried out a test where they tried to emulate the rocking of the casks aboard the "Linje" ships while the oak barrels were subjected to the weather elements as they would aboard a ship. The finished product was, according to Arcus, far from the taste that a proper linje aquavit should have.[citation needed]

Therefore, to this very day boats loaded with "Line Aquavit" set sail from Norway to Australia and back again before they are tapped on bottle and sold as part of the Norwegian Christmas traditions.

Edited by Windhawk - July 12 2015 at 19:28
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 19:32
TCoops......Garion81.....Peter.........JimGarten( Is around from time to time)........Bob

To name a few :-)
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 19:53
I do want to try some Aquavit ever since I saw Andreas Viestad pour some homegrown on an episode of New Scandinavian Cooking. I love his show....he introduced me to cloudberries...amazing!

Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 19:59
StaaViinsZ for sure, his "State The Most Outrageous Musical Opinion Possible" topic is still active from time to time LOL

Actually I regret that I didn't get more involved in the forum since I read the discussions regularly and use the site all the time (maybe it's the fault of my "english skills" Embarrassed).

The lack of Dean suprises me though, I remember him posting a lot not so long ago Shocked
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 20:10
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

We have something far more potent than that in Scandinavia.

oh yeah... potent...Clap
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 21:14
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

It's the old Velvet Room gang that I miss most, guys like Cygnus X-2, Bj-1, King of Loss (though he still occasionally posts), Nutter Alert, MikeEnRegalia, James, Bern, etc....

Indeed! I'll include the oringal clown himself in the above (as well as Stonebeard, who does occasionally post)Those were the days....

And from a general forum standpoint...Assaf, Bob, Syzygy are the first to spring to mind. Jim Garten & Karnevil9 also.

I remember Rich W from the very early days, whose Zappa reviews helped me immensely in coming through Zappa's large catalogue. I feel there are one or two more that I should remember but don't actually remember their names. Embarrassed
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 21:27
This guy named PanOfPans. Really loved his reviews. Don't know why he hasn't come back.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 23:00
I miss me the most....

no, wait, that guy was a jerk

Time always wins.
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 23:39
Smartpatrol was probably the most intelligent, unique, sexy member in PA history.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 23:52
I don't miss 'im. Wink

I do miss HolyMoly, though. Cry
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 00:37
True. On the bright side he's spending an extra amount of time with his family. But he was and is a great presence to have around the shred.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 07:44
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Hehe

Akvavit, like vodka, is distilled from either grain or potatoes.[5] After distillation, it is flavoured with herbs, spices, or fruit oil. Commonly seen flavours are caraway, cardamom, cumin, anise, fennel, and lemon or orange peel.[5] Dill and “grains of paradise” are also used. The Danish distillery Aalborg makes an akvavit distilled with amber.

The recipes and flavours differ between brands, but caraway is typically the dominant flavour. Akvavit usually has a yellowish hue, but this can vary from clear to light brown, depending on how long it has been aged in oak casks (Norway) or the amount of colorant used. Normally, a darker colour suggests a higher age or the use of young casks, though artificial caramel colouring is permitted. Clear akvavit is called taffel; it is typically aged in old casks that do not colour the finished spirit or not aged at all.

Peculiar to the Norwegian tradition are Linje Aquavits (such as "Løiten Linje" and "Lysholm Linje"). Linje Aquavit is named after the tradition of sending oak barrels of aquavit with ships from Norway to Australia and back again, thereby passing the equator ("linje") twice before being bottled. The constant movement, high humidity and fluctuating temperature cause the spirit to extract more flavour and contributes to accelerated maturation.

Norwegian aquavit distillers Arcus has carried out a test where they tried to emulate the rocking of the casks aboard the "Linje" ships while the oak barrels were subjected to the weather elements as they would aboard a ship. The finished product was, according to Arcus, far from the taste that a proper linje aquavit should have.[citation needed]

Therefore, to this very day boats loaded with "Line Aquavit" set sail from Norway to Australia and back again before they are tapped on bottle and sold as part of the Norwegian Christmas traditions.

Olav, Angry

You're drooling soooo much talking about Scandic alcohols that my keyboard is damp.Tongue LOL

jk dudeWinkClown

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 07:53

I do want to try some Aquavit ever since I saw Andreas Viestad pour some homegrown on an episode of New Scandinavian Cooking. I love his show....he introduced me to cloudberries...amazing!

Cloudberries, yes!
My oldest brother used to go to Lapponia, and more than once he brought cloudberries with them.
Long time ago since I had any of them.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 07:54
*chuckles* I suspect the dampness and the drooling comes from rather different sources.

While I do enjoy the odd aquavit, it's rather readily available where I'm at being Norwegian, and I'm personally more prone to the classic coffee and cognac combination. Both of which I have in the quantities I need  at home.

I'll say that though - aquavit is something that needs to be tested, and while Swedes, Danes and Germans may state otherwise my opinion is that the Norwegian Line aquavit is the tastiest of them all.
When I'm hitting the US I'll bring aquavit or Vikingfjord vodka, depending on who I'm staying with. Both of them have a tendency to disappear rather fast.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>