Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas prog lost its way?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 08:27
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

OK I rather let the moozik speak for itself, instead of writing a whole sermon. Listen to this and fall in love with this, this is one of the ultimate surprises that I came across recently, Colin of Corvus Stone suggested him to me and even said that he it's the best album release and artist from last year too! ShockedClap Tiger Moth Tales A Visit To Chigwick

Beautiful! I discovered this multi talented artist last week because of the reviews here on PA.
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 12:53
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Yes "The Union Tour"  in 1991 features all the past and present Yes men excluding the original guitarist Peter Banks. It also excludes Downes and Horn, luckily so because Drama (heh, quite appropriate name for the then album isnīt it) is not a Yes album really. Still, the tour may have lots of real drama for the members. 
Quantity in music may sometimes define quality but for Rick Wakeman this Yes reformation was The Onion Tour. I completely understand him. Tongue

Well, for me Drama is a magnificent album, maybe because I can't resist Jon Anderson's voice, honestly like Trevor's voice better

Songs like Machine Mesiah, Run Through the Light and Tempus Fugit are clasics

I like this album more than the anodyne Going for the One and even more than the terrible Tormato.

About Union, I agree, I was casually in Miami when they played, it was great to see Yes for the first time, but the show was a mess, I bought the album at the entrance and only played it twice since then.

Ha-ha ! You just proved that you are the maddest GENESIS fan that possibly can exist Clown
Yes is a progressive band, pseudo wanna-be Anderson/Yes was a regressive band. Despite Squireīs and Howeīs great contribution. The songs you again madly rave about are good but not even close to Anderson/Squire classics. You obviously listen to MP3 (grin). I sold my Drama ages ago.
Their are lame, like all neo (pseudo) prog is. True Prog kicks ass. Like "Tormato" in 1978.
You are terrible. How dare you w**k such evergreens as "Turn of the Century" and "Awaken""Circus of Heaven" and "Donīt Kill the Whale", "In the Silent Wings of Freedom" and "Madrigal" from fantastic "Tormato" which is a terrific prog album, it even has punky and raw sound and kicks ass like the best classic Yes. In punkīs year (what a stupid thought) 1977 Yes came back with vengeance and showed to the world that their still were the Masters of the Universe, KANSAS and Rush were close behind but never really reached the power and glory that this classic monster band. In 1978 after ten yearsīcareer Yes was still the leading force in Prog, other classic bands like ELP and GENESIS in particular gradually sinking into tame pop. "... And Then There Were Three..." is a brilliant pop-prog album and GENESISī last great record, but thatīs another story...

Jon Andersonīs voice is unique and your somewhat weird "new-age" hero Mr. Horn is a pale echo to him. Anderson is Hornīs hero, Horn would never even imagine to match Andersonīs abilities. No-one can. You even havenīt read his interviews about. People like you think that everything is comparable like cars and can be turned into pissing contest whenever you want. If you hate Anderson`s voice thatīs your problem only (grin). How old are you btw.

Go and take Meat Loafīs and Trevor Hornīs and Tommy Shawīs hand, sing together "I Know What I Like" and you may very well become the most incredible Fab Four of All Time... Anyway, we all will have some fun LOL

hahhaha..  dude...  for walking into the lion's den while bleeding like a stuck pig..

you earn the coveted McPost of the day! And I'm making a batch of popcorn...

ClapLOL

Heh-heh ! You have a very weird sense of "humour". I always have won mockers and survived attacks from weird dudes and always will. Another "expert" hear raving about lesser talented Trevor Horn. So funny. I even didnīt belittle him, actually he did the very best he could because he adored Jonīs voice and his work with Yes. Drama is OK but just pop music musically quite booring. So funny. Fortunately music and arts in general are not sport.

You ainīt nothing but another duke pretending to be a "true" prog fan and a very important even intelligent person hear on PA. Your used quite violet language against me even itīs meant to be a metaphor I guess. You tried to attack me violently although I never said you anything. I see it so because I come from a very different culture, proud culture. You are just another dude trying to be a schoolteaser. Donīt try to step on my shoes. You will lose because Iīm proud. Like my hero Jon Anderson, man of peace and love. 

You just revealed your true nature Tongue  
Ah, or you just envy Jon Andersonīs beautiful looks and gorgeous hair.

LOL LOL

Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 14:47
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Coming in late to this discussion.  Sorry if this has already been discussed.  Fascinating topic, BTW.

IMHO, there are 3 reasons why 'modern' prog is not as good as the golden era and continues in this direction.

1.  Production
All prog from the neo movement on sounds exactly the same.  Reverbed to hell, mastered loud and lacking any sort of warmness.  The classic stuff had such great studio sound with fat drums, guitars and vocals up front and minimal overdubbing.  This is possible today, but the prog artists all have seemed to acquiesce to this cold, loud, fake live, wet sound.  

2.  Terrible singers
-There have been no stand out singers, such as Jon Anderson, to rise up in modern prog.  They are all imitators, metal singers, or just plain bad singers who can't hold a tune.

3.  Lack of time and patience for listening
-With the digital age, we've somehow lost the patience for listening to long albums and songs with interest.  With everything available at our fingertips, we don't have to agonize about what album to buy and then give it sufficient time to grow on us.  Not to mention the absolute saturation of the market.

I need to give honorable mention to a possible 4th reason why prog over the last 20 years has been sub par.  That is the amount of cheese in arrangements, melody and lyrics.  Oh man, where to start. Shocked

Peace

Clap Canīt agree more. One of the very few intelligent and NEUTRAL comments about so far. Especially lead singers. 
IMO number one is: the lead singer must be very top, the best possible voice, like Jimi Hendrix, David Byron, Gary Brooker, Peter Gabriel, Greg LakeSteve Walsh, Brad Delp, Francesco di Giacomo, Michele Bavaro... and Jon Anderson (grin). 

Heh, so far you seem to be the only one (besides me) hear who really understands Andersonīs greatness. Hmm, really true die-hard fans of him will say a few words to defend him... sooner or later. So funny.

Great. Thanks
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 20:16
Once we crown Gabriel as the owner of one of the best possible voices, that itself is a difficult starting point and no wonder you have singers trying to imitate him when that's the last thing they should do.  Of course I understand I am looking at the word in a very specific sense as a singer; when people usually throw around the word 'voice' they mean everything, including expression or technique which don't have much to do with the voice the singer has.  Gabriel was a very expressive singer with a deep but nasal voice.  Jon Anderson is the other end of the spectrum, beautiful voice devoid of expression.  There is some merit in the view that vocals have declined but it has nothing to do with their voices or the style of singing.  Even David Byron was a metal singer and imo less impressive than contemporaries Gillan, Dio and Halford.  It has a lot to do with the preference for a kind of uniform diction which could originate from America, from Britain or from Antartica for all I care.  Also the receding influence of British folk on prog vocalists.  With all that said, prog is primarily an instrument dominated genre so surely the quality of the vocals is only a secondary issue and we aren't really belling the cat?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 23:25

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Yes "The Union Tour"  in 1991 features all the past and present Yes men excluding the original guitarist Peter Banks. It also excludes Downes and Horn, luckily so because Drama (heh, quite appropriate name for the then album isnīt it) is not a Yes album really. Still, the tour may have lots of real drama for the members. 
Quantity in music may sometimes define quality but for Rick Wakeman this Yes reformation was The Onion Tour. I completely understand him. Tongue

Well, for me Drama is a magnificent album, maybe because I can't resist Jon Anderson's voice, honestly like Trevor's voice better

Songs like Machine Mesiah, Run Through the Light and Tempus Fugit are clasics

I like this album more than the anodyne Going for the One and even more than the terrible Tormato.

About Union, I agree, I was casually in Miami when they played, it was great to see Yes for the first time, but the show was a mess, I bought the album at the entrance and only played it twice since then.

Ha-ha ! You just proved that you are the maddest GENESIS fan that possibly can exist Clown
Yes is a progressive band, pseudo wanna-be Anderson/Yes was a regressive band. Despite Squireīs and Howeīs great contribution. The songs you again madly rave about are good but not even close to Anderson/Squire classics. You obviously listen to MP3 (grin). I sold my Drama ages ago.
Their are lame, like all neo (pseudo) prog is. True Prog kicks ass. Like "Tormato" in 1978.
You are terrible. How dare you w**k such evergreens as "Turn of the Century" and "Awaken""Circus of Heaven" and "Donīt Kill the Whale", "In the Silent Wings of Freedom" and "Madrigal" from fantastic "Tormato" which is a terrific prog album, it even has punky and raw sound and kicks ass like the best classic Yes. In punkīs year (what a stupid thought) 1977 Yes came back with vengeance and showed to the world that their still were the Masters of the Universe, KANSAS and Rush were close behind but never really reached the power and glory that this classic monster band. In 1978 after ten yearsīcareer Yes was still the leading force in Prog, other classic bands like ELP and GENESIS in particular gradually sinking into tame pop. "... And Then There Were Three..." is a brilliant pop-prog album and GENESISī last great record, but thatīs another story...

Jon Andersonīs voice is unique and your somewhat weird "new-age" hero Mr. Horn is a pale echo to him. Anderson is Hornīs hero, Horn would never even imagine to match Andersonīs abilities. No-one can. You even havenīt read his interviews about. People like you think that everything is comparable like cars and can be turned into pissing contest whenever you want. If you hate Anderson`s voice thatīs your problem only (grin). How old are you btw.

Go and take Meat Loafīs and Trevor Hornīs and Tommy Shawīs hand, sing together "I Know What I Like" and you may very well become the most incredible Fab Four of All Time... Anyway, we all will have some fun LOL

hahhaha..  dude...  for walking into the lion's den while bleeding like a stuck pig..

you earn the coveted McPost of the day! And I'm making a batch of popcorn...

ClapLOL

Heh-heh ! You have a very weird sense of "humour". I always have won mockers and survived attacks from weird dudes and always will. Another "expert" hear raving about lesser talented Trevor Horn. So funny. I even didnīt belittle him, actually he did the very best he could because he adored Jonīs voice and his work with Yes. Drama is OK but just pop music musically quite booring. So funny. Fortunately music and arts in general are not sport.

You ainīt nothing but another duke pretending to be a "true" prog fan and a very important even intelligent person hear on PA. Your used quite violet language against me even itīs meant to be a metaphor I guess. You tried to attack me violently although I never said you anything. I see it so because I come from a very different culture, proud culture. You are just another dude trying to be a schoolteaser. Donīt try to step on my shoes. You will lose because Iīm proud. Like my hero Jon Anderson, man of peace and love. 

You just revealed your true nature Tongue  
Ah, or you just envy Jon Andersonīs beautiful looks and gorgeous hair.

LOL LOL

Here, have some! 

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 07:18
I don't necessarily think progressive rock has lost its way, but one of my biggest problems - especially in the realm of progressive metal - is an increase in unnecessary instrumental noodling instead of putting the virtuosity to better use. Bands like Genesis and Yes have been well known for being extremely proficient instrumentalists, but their talents were utilized to craft unique atmospheres and musical "worlds" for the listener to get pulled into. For instance, with Close to the Edge, I always got a new age vibe from the more spiritual aspects of the music and lyricism... especially with Jon Anderson's harmonies and the expansive keyboard sounds. 

I think this is what I'm getting at: 70s progressive rock always had a sense of atmosphere and storytelling to give emotional depth to the complex compositions, whereas a lot of current progressive rock and especially progressive metal bands are focusing a bit too much on pure technicality in my opinion. It seems to be more about how many polyrhythms you can put in a song or how many notes you can shred out in a minute... just empty and meaningless virtuosity. Obviously I don't want to make this a generalization about ALL progressive rock of today, as plenty of bands are still carrying the torch for their musical ancestors; however, playing countless notes without passion or meaning just seems wasteful to me. 

Edited by Necrotica - July 28 2015 at 07:19
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 10:24
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

I don't necessarily think progressive rock has lost its way, but one of my biggest problems - especially in the realm of progressive metal - is an increase in unnecessary instrumental noodling instead of putting the virtuosity to better use. Bands like Genesis and Yes have been well known for being extremely proficient instrumentalists, but their talents were utilized to craft unique atmospheres and musical "worlds" for the listener to get pulled into. For instance, with Close to the Edge, I always got a new age vibe from the more spiritual aspects of the music and lyricism... especially with Jon Anderson's harmonies and the expansive keyboard sounds. 

I think this is what I'm getting at: 70s progressive rock always had a sense of atmosphere and storytelling to give emotional depth to the complex compositions, whereas a lot of current progressive rock and especially progressive metal bands are focusing a bit too much on pure technicality in my opinion. It seems to be more about how many polyrhythms you can put in a song or how many notes you can shred out in a minute... just empty and meaningless virtuosity. Obviously I don't want to make this a generalization about ALL progressive rock of today, as plenty of bands are still carrying the torch for their musical ancestors; however, playing countless notes without passion or meaning just seems wasteful to me. 

Yes, there is some truth in that.  Many prog metal musicians make suboptimal use of their skills, and over-adorn the pieces without giving them more atmosphere and emotional depth.  Dream Theater, for instance, were really excellent with Scenes From A Memory and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, but the later albums do not hold up with these masterpieces despite being technically at least as virtuous.  Especially Jordan Rudess's pseudo-guitar-playing on the continuum sometimes goes on my nerves.  Kevin Moore was IMHO the better keyboard player because he was more restrained and less show-offy.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 16:21
Originally posted by Wicket Wicket wrote:

I still think there are some people who don't even know the difference between "prog" and "progressive".

It's the same like et cetera = etc.

Technically the idea of progressive is that it is supposed to continue ad infinitum, I agree, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I feel that progressive rock is going to hit that wall much like contemporary music did with John Cage's 4'33 (if silence is now considered music, where do we go from here?).

Yes, classical music hit the wall. Also avant-garde and jazz. Prog is also very much developed. But this is certainly not the end of new possibilities in music. There can always be some interesting fusions and also every musician has some personal style.

Edited by terramystic - July 29 2015 at 16:22
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 16:27
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

I still think there are some people who don't even know the difference between "prog" and "progressive".

Not really. Prog is a genre that includes a lot of bands who're doing the same stuff as the biggies did back in the 70s. That's not really progressive. In fact, most of the new stuff we add to the database is anything but progressive....but it's still called prog. 

Progressive music is to be found everywhere. Wu-Tang Clan and Bob Dylan were progressive - though not progressive rock. Progressive in relation to music means to progress or indeed move beyond what's already there. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 01:35
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

Not really. Prog is a genre that includes a lot of bands who're doing the same stuff as the biggies did back in the 70s. That's not really progressive. In fact, most of the new stuff we add to the database is anything but progressive....but it's still called prog. 

Progressive music is to be found everywhere. Wu-Tang Clan and Bob Dylan were progressive - though not progressive rock. Progressive in relation to music means to progress or indeed move beyond what's already there. 

You mentioned Mr Dylan very often as "progressive but not prog(ressive rock)".
Actually, Mr Dylan was (as description only) a progressive poet at his heydays (i.e. he wrote a progressive poetry that was set in non-progressive music) but he never was progressive musician.
You can say for e.g. Sun Ra that "progressive but not progressive rock", but not for Bob Dylan.

Edited by Svetonio - July 30 2015 at 02:07
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 09:06
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

You mentioned Mr Dylan very often as "progressive but not prog(ressive rock)".
Actually, Mr Dylan was (as description only) a progressive poet at his heydays (i.e. he wrote a progressive poetry that was set in non-progressive music) but he never was progressive musician.
You can say for e.g. Sun Ra that "progressive but not progressive rock", but not for Bob Dylan.

Yep.  Dylan's music is not progressive in any way, but his lyrics are.  Sun Ra was a progressive musician.  Neither of the two is/was a prog artist.  (Yet, Dylan opened a door for rock music, namely that to sophisticated lyrics, and therefore contributed to the emergence of prog in the late 1960s.)

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 09:10
Dylan was a progressive folk artist imo, but sure it was his sharp and witty tongue that broke down most fences.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 10:50
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

(...)

(...) (Yet, Dylan opened a door for rock music, namely that to sophisticated lyrics, and therefore contributed to the emergence of prog in the late 1960s.)

Nah. The Who were kicked out that "roll" from rock'n'roll. With My Generation the song, The Who were created that frame for 'Rock' as a subgenre of rock music in general (or "rock & roll" as it was / is very often used term also for rock in general). It's just so happened, 'cause Pete Townshend's original intention was to make My Generation as a slow blues song.
Anyway, Dylan's poetry that was set in folk music had nothing to do with My Generation nor with My Generation lyrics writen by Roger Daltrey who was at that time a big fan of  Elvis Presley.

Both from 1965, but that difference is drastic... And that English Symphonic rock was actually developed from Rock, not from Folk rock.

Edited by Svetonio - July 30 2015 at 13:12
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 12:28

Quantity produces quality, i.e. more new prog bands around the globe means more good, great and awesome new prog albums released. It means poor albums too, of course, but that global prog audience via Internet, fans' blogs, reviews, discussions at prog forums, prog awards etc is gonna to filtered that. So, a bunch of new bands is always welcome; it couldn't "dilute" (lol) our beloved genre, on contrary - it makes prog bigger, stronger and, consenquently, a better genre.

Not a chance.

Quantity only lowers the standards, the good artists will release good albums anyway, because they love music and have the skills to make it.

Quantity only makes more mediocre bands appear and people tend to accept anything.

In the old days, only really good prog bands had a contract, today anybody with a computer releases an album in a website and calls it Prog

A good example is Rick Wakeman, when he recorded an album per year, he gave us true masterpieces, but when he started to release 4 or even 8 albums each year, all were terrible, bad or mediocre at the best.

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">(...) Quantity DOESN'T equal quality. Having 5 chefs working at a restaurant is great, but it doesn't mean they'll add up to cook food like Bobby Flay or Geoffrey Zakarian. Having more of something doesn't necessarily make it better. Sure, you can eat way more chocolate than your parents tell you to, but (...)</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I hope I'm actually making sense and not just rambling, (...)</span>

Of course you make sense.

In Perú we have a food boom, everybody wants to be a chef, the problem is that our food was great <span style="line-height: 1.4;">ten yeas ago with lets say 50 good restaurants in the country, I knew that I would go to Chiclayo and eat in "Fiesta" or Arequipa and eat in "Tradiciones" and ate </span>excellent food 100% typical of those regions<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> </span>

Today all this kids are ruining it with mediocre dishes that they create and call it "Fusion" (They mix Peruvian, Japanese Thai and Mexican food in one dish), the only thing they achieved is that we have 20,000 thousand  restaurants, but the good ones are more or less  50 like a decade ago (most are the same ones), the other 19,950 are mediocre at the best...But we lost identity, you don't know if you are eating a dish from Lima, Arequipa or Chiclayo because it's a mixture that ruins our tradition....And the worst thing is that people is getting use to that crap.

Somewhat interesting, but off the point. Do come along!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 21:26
I don't find Glass Hammer to be a copycat band. They have their own take on symphonic prog, and more importantly, the music is excellent. Starcastle is somewhat of a Yes copycat, but the soundworld of Yes (and other classic bands) could be genre in itself, and they simply play within that style. I have no problem with it. Their first album is actually quite good.

The problem with modern prog is that most of the bands are uninspired. The music lacks the dynamic quality and harmonic richness that the best prog has. Progressive metal in itself is ok, but too much of it is just tedious riff-salad. There are plenty of good, and some great modern bands though. Prog is easily doing better than all other music right now, as little as that says.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789